Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ariolla Speaks 22:03 - Apr 29 with 5238 views34dfgdf54

<<Your loan to Swansea was cut short after you reinjured your quad; but even before that, you seemed a bit snakebitten. What did you take away from your time in the Championship? What were your impressions of the league and what did you learn there? >>

It was a good experience, right? You try to take the best out of everything. But it was also very frustrating. It was a frustrating situation. I went on loan obviously really wanting to play and stay in form and help the team get to the Premiership before coming back to D.C. My main goal was just to prove myself over there and get a run of games and try and keep a good form. But it was tough. I can’t lie.

The level was good, I don’t think it was anything different than what you see in MLS. The style of play was a little bit different, the pitches were awful. Every single one of the pitches was awful except Stoke; and I think it plays a huge factor into the Championship, and it’s why teams consistently play direct, and play with big center backs and big No. 9s and five at the back is because of the conditions of the fields – tight pitches. But Swansea itself was a great club. Everyone at the club was amazing, the players, the staff, a really young group of guys. It felt like a family-feel type club. The facilities were great, besides the field.

I think obviously in the end, looking back you want to go somewhere where you feel really wanted. And I’m not quite sure if the manager there really had great intentions of me helping the team or maybe he thought I’d just be an extra number just offering reinforcement at some position. When the opportunity came – as a player, especially one that hadn’t been to Europe, I wanted to go, I had to go, I had really high hopes to do great things over there for the club. And then when you get there and you realize and understand the situation you’re in, you can really only wait for your opportunity. And unfortunately I really didn’t get one. I got a couple of late features in a couple of games but besides that, it ended up being disappointing. I did make great relationships, though and I was able to see what it was like over there – now I know I can play at that level, obviously you see other young Americans doing it at that level and in the Premier League as well. It definitely wasn’t a setback for me and I don’t see it as a failure. Now I’m just focused on turning the page, going forward here and having a great season in D.C. and taking it from there.

<<Throughout your career you’ve expressed a desire to ply your trade in Europe. Did the month or so at Swansea satiate that desire? Or do you feel an even stronger pull to go back knowing that things didn’t work out like you’d have wanted them to?>>

After my experience at Swansea, my attitude is just “go where you’re wanted.” The next time I move, if I ever move from D.C. United, it will be somewhere where I’m truly valued and somewhere where I’m there to make a difference on the team, regardless of country or style of play or anything like that. What it comes down to is whether you’re going to get an opportunity – and then it’s on you. And I’ll always bet on myself to make the most of an opportunity.
Ariolla Speaks on 16:08 - Apr 30 with 647 viewsjasper_T

Ariolla Speaks on 15:17 - Apr 30 by Chief

Brewster wasn't out injured for anywhere near that length of time, nor was it as severe. He'd been training with the Liverpool first team. And it wasn't a condensed championship season with such frequent games.

Gibbs White had a pre - season with Wolves and then continued it with us before playing after again a less serious injury. Even then he ended up getting injured too.

Not comparable.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 15:18]

Brewster missed years of football before he came to us, including 6 weeks shortly before he came. Had played maybe a dozen games over two seasons.
Ariolla Speaks on 16:40 - Apr 30 with 636 viewsvetchonian

Ariolla Speaks on 12:23 - Apr 30 by Badlands

Cooper has shown he has his favourites any anyone only gets playing time if situations dictate.
As such Cooper has failed to use his squad effectively.
The notion that an US international is not good enough for a desperately poor Championship league, as some suggest, is just plain daft.

Jazz Richards a Welsh International and favoured by Martinez was slated by many on here yet this USA international from the mighty MLS is being lauded.

Let’s be honest those who dislike Cooper are looking for anything to beat him with
Objectivity has gone out of the window

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Ariolla Speaks on 16:49 - Apr 30 with 616 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:40 - Apr 30 by vetchonian

Jazz Richards a Welsh International and favoured by Martinez was slated by many on here yet this USA international from the mighty MLS is being lauded.

Let’s be honest those who dislike Cooper are looking for anything to beat him with
Objectivity has gone out of the window

Johnny Williams is another to have c.30 caps, and yet looked average in League 1. There are many internationals that couldn’t regularly get into Championship sides or make any sort of impact.

The Cooper thing is absolutely true. If Potter was here and didn’t play Arriola, do you think anyone would bat an eyelid? No of course not. The amount of sticks being found to beat the manager with is crazy.

Put it this way, I highly doubt Arriola will go on to bigger and better things from one of the worst teams in the MLS. He’s hardly had teams pounding at his door; he appears to be about where he should be. He is 27 next birthday, it’s not like he’s some undiscovered gem.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Ariolla Speaks on 17:07 - Apr 30 with 602 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 16:49 - Apr 30 by Dr_Parnassus

Johnny Williams is another to have c.30 caps, and yet looked average in League 1. There are many internationals that couldn’t regularly get into Championship sides or make any sort of impact.

The Cooper thing is absolutely true. If Potter was here and didn’t play Arriola, do you think anyone would bat an eyelid? No of course not. The amount of sticks being found to beat the manager with is crazy.

Put it this way, I highly doubt Arriola will go on to bigger and better things from one of the worst teams in the MLS. He’s hardly had teams pounding at his door; he appears to be about where he should be. He is 27 next birthday, it’s not like he’s some undiscovered gem.

Arriola is a good player that was provided for Cooper by the club taking advice from their own scouting experts. A goal scroung midfielder or wing back. He arrived at the club fit but short of game time. He was a viable resource.

Cooper prefered to stick with tried a and trusted players driving them on until like Roberts Guehi Lowe and Ayew either stopped through fatigue injuries (Ayew and Guehi) or saw form fall off a cliff. (Lowe, Bidwell and Roberts).

The club management provided the manager with 6 players in January to enable rotation. The manager did not make any real effort to use these players. The end of the season fall off was entirely predictable. the manager told the players "fatigue did not matter".

Cooper therefore has two types of players in his squad. Fatigued players off form and good frustrated players with low morale.

I put it to you the Cooper is not using sport science and is following discredited "old school" methods of effectively 11+1 for most of the season.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Ariolla Speaks on 17:19 - Apr 30 with 594 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 17:07 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

Arriola is a good player that was provided for Cooper by the club taking advice from their own scouting experts. A goal scroung midfielder or wing back. He arrived at the club fit but short of game time. He was a viable resource.

Cooper prefered to stick with tried a and trusted players driving them on until like Roberts Guehi Lowe and Ayew either stopped through fatigue injuries (Ayew and Guehi) or saw form fall off a cliff. (Lowe, Bidwell and Roberts).

The club management provided the manager with 6 players in January to enable rotation. The manager did not make any real effort to use these players. The end of the season fall off was entirely predictable. the manager told the players "fatigue did not matter".

Cooper therefore has two types of players in his squad. Fatigued players off form and good frustrated players with low morale.

I put it to you the Cooper is not using sport science and is following discredited "old school" methods of effectively 11+1 for most of the season.

You've entirely fabricated that whole first paragraph haven't you? How do you know hes good? How do you know scouting experts were used to bring him in?

All the indications show the opposite.

At least you acknowledge he was short on match fitness. Means that he shouldn't have been risked in tight games we were winning. So he wasn't.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 17:19]

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Ariolla Speaks on 17:28 - Apr 30 with 592 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 16:08 - Apr 30 by jasper_T

Brewster missed years of football before he came to us, including 6 weeks shortly before he came. Had played maybe a dozen games over two seasons.

Yea granted he wasn't a seasoned pro. But he didn't have the other obvious drawbacks of the Arriola situation.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:45 - Apr 30 with 588 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 17:28 - Apr 30 by Chief

Yea granted he wasn't a seasoned pro. But he didn't have the other obvious drawbacks of the Arriola situation.

You are having a bad day but I always admire you persistence. This is a value we find honourble up here in the forest where persistence is absolutely essential. Im off to write a poem and get some logs.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:49 - Apr 30 with 585 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 17:45 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

You are having a bad day but I always admire you persistence. This is a value we find honourble up here in the forest where persistence is absolutely essential. Im off to write a poem and get some logs.

Well i think that's wise of you if you have no comeback to the irrefutable facts I've presented you with.

Login to get fewer ads

Ariolla Speaks on 18:55 - Apr 30 with 573 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 17:45 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

He’s consistent I’ll give him that.
Ariolla Speaks on 18:59 - Apr 30 with 571 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 17:49 - Apr 30 by Chief

Well i think that's wise of you if you have no comeback to the irrefutable facts I've presented you with.

Irrefutable facts, posted by you?

No
Ariolla Speaks on 19:03 - Apr 30 with 569 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 18:59 - Apr 30 by 34dfgdf54

Irrefutable facts, posted by you?

No

Can these facts be disputed then? :
- Coming back from a serious injury.
- Was in his pre-season.
- Hadn't played a full league game since 2019.
- Plays for one of the MLS's worst clubs.
- 27 before he left North America to play.

Ariolla Speaks on 19:09 - Apr 30 with 566 views9MilesHigh

Ariolla Speaks on 22:08 - Apr 29 by KeithHaynes

We all knew this. As did he. It was reported on here continuously.
It’s a shame, but to compare Norwich City ( a championship team ) who would walk the MLS by xmas, is sour grapes. The American players Just didn’t have the strength or fitness to do it under championship conditions. That’s why they aren’t in the championship.

I think you are grossly underestimating the MLS.

i watch quite a bit of it. There is nothing to say the Championship is of a better quality.

Nothing at all. In fact, my hunch (because it's impossible to base this on any facts) is the MLS is a much more superior league in terms of quality. Whether the old school English long ball teams like Boro and Cardiff could do a number on them with their shite tactics is another argument again.

But my vote would be the MLS 100%
Ariolla Speaks on 19:10 - Apr 30 with 566 views9MilesHigh

Ariolla Speaks on 22:29 - Apr 29 by Chief

We're about to take part in the play offs, but you think Cooper's time is up!???

Where's he going then?

You can't compare this situation to Pulisic, a top class player who left the USA to play in Europe's top leagues aged 16.

26 yr old Arriola left North America for the first time and joined us from one of the MLS's worst clubs, during his off season, coming off the back of a horrendous injury to be dropped into the covid condensed championship season.

There is no conspiracy here.

Hideous comparisons. Embarrassing.
Ariolla Speaks on 19:12 - Apr 30 with 566 views9MilesHigh

Ariolla Speaks on 23:33 - Apr 29 by Dr_Parnassus

My thoughts too. Morris not ousting Ayew or Lowe was completely justified by our results.

He was only here for 5 league games prior to his injury wasn't he? We won 4 of them and drew the other with 10 men away to Brentford. Beating Barnsley and Norwich along the way.

Arriola I always had my doubt about when the DC fan came onto the other site to give his opinion. Said Morris had a chance to make it over here but Arriola was pretty average. I don’t think Cooper wanted either of the Americans here / in terms of it being his choice anyway.

Morris showed he was deserving of minutes upon arrival, and got them as a result. Arriola clearly didn’t. That’s life.

One MLS or DC fan?

One??

Hahaha imagine if our "one" fan representing us was this pillock, they'd think we were all demented Rainmen.
Ariolla Speaks on 19:14 - Apr 30 with 563 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 19:10 - Apr 30 by 9MilesHigh

Hideous comparisons. Embarrassing.

Agreed.

Ariolla Speaks on 22:40 - Apr 30 with 520 views9MilesHigh

Ariolla Speaks on 15:17 - Apr 30 by Chief

Brewster wasn't out injured for anywhere near that length of time, nor was it as severe. He'd been training with the Liverpool first team. And it wasn't a condensed championship season with such frequent games.

Gibbs White had a pre - season with Wolves and then continued it with us before playing after again a less serious injury. Even then he ended up getting injured too.

Not comparable.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 15:18]

Ariolla Speaks on 00:16 - May 1 with 495 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 19:12 - Apr 30 by 9MilesHigh

One MLS or DC fan?

One??

Hahaha imagine if our "one" fan representing us was this pillock, they'd think we were all demented Rainmen.

Yes, one. Backed up by the fact he’s 26 and still playing for one of the worst teams in the MLS.

How many need to hold the same opinion before it becomes worth noting then, out of interest?

Or just until someone says the opinion you would like to hear, I guess.

Change your record for God’s sake, you have become the most predictable and boring poster on the website, the sad thing is you feel it too. Don’t you.

Ariolla Speaks on 00:22 - May 1 with 492 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 19:09 - Apr 30 by 9MilesHigh

I think you are grossly underestimating the MLS.

i watch quite a bit of it. There is nothing to say the Championship is of a better quality.

Nothing at all. In fact, my hunch (because it's impossible to base this on any facts) is the MLS is a much more superior league in terms of quality. Whether the old school English long ball teams like Boro and Cardiff could do a number on them with their shite tactics is another argument again.

But my vote would be the MLS 100%

Oh Jesus, my eyes.

The league where Bradley Wright Phillips scores for fun in (116 goals) at 36 years old.

You really have lost it.

Ariolla Speaks on 00:24 - May 1 with 491 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 19:03 - Apr 30 by Chief

Can these facts be disputed then? :
- Coming back from a serious injury.
- Was in his pre-season.
- Hadn't played a full league game since 2019.
- Plays for one of the MLS's worst clubs.
- 27 before he left North America to play.

That’s the crux of it.

It’s just being used as an excuse to bash the manager. Like “not playing Morris more” for the handful of games that he was here... which we pretty much win every one.

Just nonsense.

Ariolla Speaks on 11:34 - May 1 with 447 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 00:24 - May 1 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s the crux of it.

It’s just being used as an excuse to bash the manager. Like “not playing Morris more” for the handful of games that he was here... which we pretty much win every one.

Just nonsense.

Roberts - Fatigued off form
Ayew - Fatigued now injured
Guehi - Fatigued off with a fatigue related injury now back
Bidwell - Fatigued off form
Lowe - Fatigued and off form.

Arriola - frustrated and gone home. Was fit and able.
Freeman - Frustrated not kicked a ball
Whiitaker - Frustrated 5 min cameos only
Cooper O - Frustrated gone back to U23
Latib'ire - Frustrated few start but done OK
Manning - Very frustrated but getting more time in 2021 after Bidwells form dropped.
Routledge - Frustrated - Passed his best and trusted for 10 game.
Benda/ Hamer - Very frustrated, Not played even in League cup.

If I was Winters I would be looking at Cooper having a reduced squad with 4 kids. He does not rotate. He is "old school" 11+1 sub on 70 mins. His methods do seem to work up to 3/4 of the season. He might get away with it.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 11:36]

Ariolla Speaks on 11:40 - May 1 with 441 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 11:34 - May 1 by ReslovenSwan1

Roberts - Fatigued off form
Ayew - Fatigued now injured
Guehi - Fatigued off with a fatigue related injury now back
Bidwell - Fatigued off form
Lowe - Fatigued and off form.

Arriola - frustrated and gone home. Was fit and able.
Freeman - Frustrated not kicked a ball
Whiitaker - Frustrated 5 min cameos only
Cooper O - Frustrated gone back to U23
Latib'ire - Frustrated few start but done OK
Manning - Very frustrated but getting more time in 2021 after Bidwells form dropped.
Routledge - Frustrated - Passed his best and trusted for 10 game.
Benda/ Hamer - Very frustrated, Not played even in League cup.

If I was Winters I would be looking at Cooper having a reduced squad with 4 kids. He does not rotate. He is "old school" 11+1 sub on 70 mins. His methods do seem to work up to 3/4 of the season. He might get away with it.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 11:36]

''Fatigued'' and ''frustrated'' is not something that we as fans can have a view on. they are guesses, we have no idea what player is feeling either thing.

As for rotation, he rotates too much for my liking. We don't have the quality in depth to rotate like he has been.

I also don't see why anyone is fatigued, they haven't played for a week.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 11:43]

Ariolla Speaks on 12:04 - May 1 with 433 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 11:40 - May 1 by Dr_Parnassus

''Fatigued'' and ''frustrated'' is not something that we as fans can have a view on. they are guesses, we have no idea what player is feeling either thing.

As for rotation, he rotates too much for my liking. We don't have the quality in depth to rotate like he has been.

I also don't see why anyone is fatigued, they haven't played for a week.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 11:43]

This is the crunch part of the season. Cooper's methods will be vindicated if we see agressive and energetic displays in the play offs.

The squad is not deep if you consider that the reserve players like Arriola are no good. If that is a case there is a problem with Mr Scott's work.

Ariolla Speaks on 12:09 - May 1 with 432 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 12:04 - May 1 by ReslovenSwan1

This is the crunch part of the season. Cooper's methods will be vindicated if we see agressive and energetic displays in the play offs.

The squad is not deep if you consider that the reserve players like Arriola are no good. If that is a case there is a problem with Mr Scott's work.

If Arriola is the result of Scott's work. Which you seem incapable of considering.

Ariolla Speaks on 12:21 - May 1 with 428 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 12:04 - May 1 by ReslovenSwan1

We are in the play-offs due to Coopers methods, now in back to back seasons - largely down to playing our best team wherever possible. I think he is already vindicated.

There is absolutely no guarantee we would be here otherwise. In fact, when we have heavily rotated, we have suffered. I doubt Scott had much to do with the Americans, it feels like they were above his pay grade.

Signing players in their off-season isn't generally the smartest move. The American connection was clearly the driving force.

Ariolla Speaks on 12:24 - May 1 with 428 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 12:09 - May 1 by Chief

If Arriola is the result of Scott's work. Which you seem incapable of considering.

Hamer, Manning, Freeman, Whiitaker were Scotts work for sure. Arriola and Morris were promoted by recruitment people afiiliated to the clubs ownership group with impressive CV and like Brewster and Gibbs White available due to injury lay offs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024