Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ariolla Speaks 22:03 - Apr 29 with 5205 views34dfgdf54

<<Your loan to Swansea was cut short after you reinjured your quad; but even before that, you seemed a bit snakebitten. What did you take away from your time in the Championship? What were your impressions of the league and what did you learn there? >>

It was a good experience, right? You try to take the best out of everything. But it was also very frustrating. It was a frustrating situation. I went on loan obviously really wanting to play and stay in form and help the team get to the Premiership before coming back to D.C. My main goal was just to prove myself over there and get a run of games and try and keep a good form. But it was tough. I can’t lie.

The level was good, I don’t think it was anything different than what you see in MLS. The style of play was a little bit different, the pitches were awful. Every single one of the pitches was awful except Stoke; and I think it plays a huge factor into the Championship, and it’s why teams consistently play direct, and play with big center backs and big No. 9s and five at the back is because of the conditions of the fields – tight pitches. But Swansea itself was a great club. Everyone at the club was amazing, the players, the staff, a really young group of guys. It felt like a family-feel type club. The facilities were great, besides the field.

I think obviously in the end, looking back you want to go somewhere where you feel really wanted. And I’m not quite sure if the manager there really had great intentions of me helping the team or maybe he thought I’d just be an extra number just offering reinforcement at some position. When the opportunity came – as a player, especially one that hadn’t been to Europe, I wanted to go, I had to go, I had really high hopes to do great things over there for the club. And then when you get there and you realize and understand the situation you’re in, you can really only wait for your opportunity. And unfortunately I really didn’t get one. I got a couple of late features in a couple of games but besides that, it ended up being disappointing. I did make great relationships, though and I was able to see what it was like over there – now I know I can play at that level, obviously you see other young Americans doing it at that level and in the Premier League as well. It definitely wasn’t a setback for me and I don’t see it as a failure. Now I’m just focused on turning the page, going forward here and having a great season in D.C. and taking it from there.

<<Throughout your career you’ve expressed a desire to ply your trade in Europe. Did the month or so at Swansea satiate that desire? Or do you feel an even stronger pull to go back knowing that things didn’t work out like you’d have wanted them to?>>

After my experience at Swansea, my attitude is just “go where you’re wanted.” The next time I move, if I ever move from D.C. United, it will be somewhere where I’m truly valued and somewhere where I’m there to make a difference on the team, regardless of country or style of play or anything like that. What it comes down to is whether you’re going to get an opportunity – and then it’s on you. And I’ll always bet on myself to make the most of an opportunity.
Ariolla Speaks on 15:19 - May 8 with 363 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 15:11 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

The future will dictate whether he was good enough for a team pushing for the Premier League.

If he’s still playing for one of the worst sides in a league where Bradley Wright Phillips is a goal scoring icon for his remaining years suggests he may not have been after all.

I have a sneaking suspicion that will be the case.

He is a regular in the US national team despite being in a struggling DC side. Top 25 US national players.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Ariolla Speaks on 15:20 - May 8 with 355 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 15:19 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

<< I think obviously in the end, looking back you want to go somewhere where you feel really wanted. And I’m not quite sure if the manager there really had great intentions of me helping the team >>

My point is that reflects poorly on Cooper, as he was no doubt a better player than others in squad in his position.

How can it reflect badly when we won 5 of the 7 matches that the manager picked the team for?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Ariolla Speaks on 15:22 - May 8 with 349 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 15:19 - May 8 by ReslovenSwan1

He is a regular in the US national team despite being in a struggling DC side. Top 25 US national players.

Yea he terrifies the St Vincent and Trinidadian defences regularly.

Ariolla Speaks on 15:26 - May 8 with 342 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 15:19 - May 8 by ReslovenSwan1

Johnny Williams has roughly the same amount of caps, many gained when Wales were a top 20 outfit.

He is probably a League 1 player in reality.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Ariolla Speaks on 15:30 - May 8 with 329 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 15:22 - May 8 by Chief

Yea he terrifies the St Vincent and Trinidadian defences regularly.

You would expect him to. The USA beats who it plays against and can live with the likes of Mexico. Every one knows in world cups it is going to be a tough game v the US. It was with Bob Bradley in charge. The USA u21 team gave a decent Welsh side a lesson in accrate passing and movement. I will accept Cooper was right If his teams in the play offs are sharp as buttons and playing crisp energetic football.

Arriola is one of the USA s best players. He clearly had something to offer but Cooper prefered 11+1 in the style of 1960s football. The US owners provided him with resources he did not use for the promotion push. He will live or die as Swansea manager by this decsion.
[Post edited 8 May 2021 15:32]

Ariolla Speaks on 15:34 - May 8 with 323 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 15:26 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Johnny Williams has roughly the same amount of caps, many gained when Wales were a top 20 outfit.

He is probably a League 1 player in reality.

Iwas thinking he would be off the class of say Robert Snodgrass but a bit younger. I reckon USA would beat Scotland with both playing.

Ariolla Speaks on 15:35 - May 8 with 324 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 15:30 - May 8 by ReslovenSwan1

You would expect him to. The USA beats who it plays against and can live with the likes of Mexico. Every one knows in world cups it is going to be a tough game v the US. It was with Bob Bradley in charge. The USA u21 team gave a decent Welsh side a lesson in accrate passing and movement. I will accept Cooper was right If his teams in the play offs are sharp as buttons and playing crisp energetic football.

Arriola is one of the USA s best players. He clearly had something to offer but Cooper prefered 11+1 in the style of 1960s football. The US owners provided him with resources he did not use for the promotion push. He will live or die as Swansea manager by this decsion.
[Post edited 8 May 2021 15:32]

And none of that has any relevance whatsoever on Dhanda's performance today.

Nor the teams performance when a non match fit Arriola was available for selection during which time we won 5 out of 7 matches.

Ariolla Speaks on 15:40 - May 8 with 319 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 15:20 - May 8 by Chief

How can it reflect badly when we won 5 of the 7 matches that the manager picked the team for?

Because a manager having no interest in a player better than what he already had in the squad (Ariolla’s words) out of spite is a problem.
Login to get fewer ads

Ariolla Speaks on 15:41 - May 8 with 318 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 15:35 - May 8 by Chief

And none of that has any relevance whatsoever on Dhanda's performance today.

Nor the teams performance when a non match fit Arriola was available for selection during which time we won 5 out of 7 matches.

You are very short sighted aren’t you?

Did you say before you’re in the trust?
Ariolla Speaks on 15:41 - May 8 with 316 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 15:34 - May 8 by ReslovenSwan1

Iwas thinking he would be off the class of say Robert Snodgrass but a bit younger. I reckon USA would beat Scotland with both playing.

Snodgrass has had 9 seasons in the Premier League.

If that’s the case then we should see him in the Premier League or equivalent European league soon then.

But again, I would imagine he will stay in the lower reaches of the MLS or lower until he hangs up his boots.

Wales would have beaten Scotland with Johnny Williams playing too I reckon, I’d still rather a prime Snodgrass than a prime Williams by quite some distance.

Ariolla Speaks on 15:44 - May 8 with 312 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 15:40 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Because a manager having no interest in a player better than what he already had in the squad (Ariolla’s words) out of spite is a problem.

I'm struggling to see what you're expecting here. Dhanda barely played in those 7 games Arriola was available for either, so it wasn't a one or the other choice.

Or are you suggesting that if Arriola would have had more minutes we'd have achieved more than the 15 points out of a possible 21?

Ariolla Speaks on 15:45 - May 8 with 309 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 15:41 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

You are very short sighted aren’t you?

Did you say before you’re in the trust?

Short sighted in what sense? If you're going down the road of Cooper should have played him more during his spell here to rest other players, that's an entirely different point to what you made about Dhanda.

Ariolla Speaks on 15:47 - May 8 with 305 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 15:45 - May 8 by Chief

Short sighted in what sense? If you're going down the road of Cooper should have played him more during his spell here to rest other players, that's an entirely different point to what you made about Dhanda.

Ariolla said himself the manager never wanted him, wasn’t interested in using him, in what world is that acceptable when he’s better than what we have?

Are you on the trust board?
Ariolla Speaks on 15:50 - May 8 with 300 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 15:47 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Ariolla said himself the manager never wanted him, wasn’t interested in using him, in what world is that acceptable when he’s better than what we have?

I can’t imagine he wanted Morris either, both were in their off season in a poor quality league - but he earned his minutes and he got them as a result. A manager doesn’t have to have wanted a player, they are more than entitled to want or not want certain players and that is entirely acceptable.

Who says Arriola was better than what we had? Him? You seem to have based that on something not universally agreed.
[Post edited 8 May 2021 15:52]

Ariolla Speaks on 15:52 - May 8 with 299 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 15:47 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Yes I'm sure he'll claim all that.

But you have no idea if he actually is better. You're assuming so by comparing him to one player (whom I don't think is very good either in Dhanda) who during the time Arriola was 'fit' to play started zero games. So there's zero logic behind you're claims. And again we won 5 of the 7 games.

No I'm not a trust board member.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:06 - May 8 with 286 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 15:52 - May 8 by Chief

Yes I'm sure he'll claim all that.

But you have no idea if he actually is better. You're assuming so by comparing him to one player (whom I don't think is very good either in Dhanda) who during the time Arriola was 'fit' to play started zero games. So there's zero logic behind you're claims. And again we won 5 of the 7 games.

No I'm not a trust board member.

I’m pretty certain Dhanda wouldn’t have to worry about being in the USMT if he had an American grandmother somewhere across the line
Ariolla Speaks on 16:09 - May 8 with 283 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 16:06 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

I’m pretty certain Dhanda wouldn’t have to worry about being in the USMT if he had an American grandmother somewhere across the line

Well as i say I'm no fan of Dhanda either but thats not who he Arriola was competing with for games when he was here.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:09 - May 8 with 282 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:06 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

And yet Dhanda has played more minutes at a superior level.

Again, we shall see what becomes of 26 year old Arriola.

I’m guessing “not much”.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:10 - May 8 with 280 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 16:09 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

And yet Dhanda has played more minutes at a superior level.

Again, we shall see what becomes of 26 year old Arriola.

I’m guessing “not much”.

As we shall with Dhanda
Ariolla Speaks on 16:11 - May 8 with 276 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:10 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

As we shall with Dhanda

I don’t think anyone is claiming Dhanda is great.

Just possibly better than Arriola, hence why Dhanda has the chance to be a Premier League player in the next few weeks and Arriola will never be one. Ever.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:12 - May 8 with 274 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 16:10 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

As we shall with Dhanda

But we will with the other midfielders that did play during that successful run of games for us won't we....

Ariolla Speaks on 16:13 - May 8 with 272 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 16:11 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t think anyone is claiming Dhanda is great.

Just possibly better than Arriola, hence why Dhanda has the chance to be a Premier League player in the next few weeks and Arriola will never be one. Ever.

No way in a million years is he better than Ariolla.

Who will he be a premier league player with then? I’ll be amazed if he isn’t shipped out in summer to first taker if we did get promoted.
Ariolla Speaks on 16:14 - May 8 with 270 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:13 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Who will he be a premier league player with then? I’ll be amazed if he isn’t shipped out in summer to first taker if we did get promoted.

In your opinion.

Steve Cooper disagrees.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:14 - May 8 with 268 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 16:14 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

In your opinion.

Steve Cooper disagrees.

That’s the sad thing, I don’t think he does.
Ariolla Speaks on 16:16 - May 8 with 267 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 16:13 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Just out of interest, and be truthful, apart from the 3 substitute appearances that he had for us, have you ever seen Arriola play?

And if not, what in those 3 substitute appearances did Arriola show you that leads you to conclusion that he's any better at all than anyone in his position in our squad, including the admittedly flaky Dhanda?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024