Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ariolla Speaks 22:03 - Apr 29 with 5240 views34dfgdf54

<<Your loan to Swansea was cut short after you reinjured your quad; but even before that, you seemed a bit snakebitten. What did you take away from your time in the Championship? What were your impressions of the league and what did you learn there? >>

It was a good experience, right? You try to take the best out of everything. But it was also very frustrating. It was a frustrating situation. I went on loan obviously really wanting to play and stay in form and help the team get to the Premiership before coming back to D.C. My main goal was just to prove myself over there and get a run of games and try and keep a good form. But it was tough. I can’t lie.

The level was good, I don’t think it was anything different than what you see in MLS. The style of play was a little bit different, the pitches were awful. Every single one of the pitches was awful except Stoke; and I think it plays a huge factor into the Championship, and it’s why teams consistently play direct, and play with big center backs and big No. 9s and five at the back is because of the conditions of the fields – tight pitches. But Swansea itself was a great club. Everyone at the club was amazing, the players, the staff, a really young group of guys. It felt like a family-feel type club. The facilities were great, besides the field.

I think obviously in the end, looking back you want to go somewhere where you feel really wanted. And I’m not quite sure if the manager there really had great intentions of me helping the team or maybe he thought I’d just be an extra number just offering reinforcement at some position. When the opportunity came – as a player, especially one that hadn’t been to Europe, I wanted to go, I had to go, I had really high hopes to do great things over there for the club. And then when you get there and you realize and understand the situation you’re in, you can really only wait for your opportunity. And unfortunately I really didn’t get one. I got a couple of late features in a couple of games but besides that, it ended up being disappointing. I did make great relationships, though and I was able to see what it was like over there – now I know I can play at that level, obviously you see other young Americans doing it at that level and in the Premier League as well. It definitely wasn’t a setback for me and I don’t see it as a failure. Now I’m just focused on turning the page, going forward here and having a great season in D.C. and taking it from there.

<<Throughout your career you’ve expressed a desire to ply your trade in Europe. Did the month or so at Swansea satiate that desire? Or do you feel an even stronger pull to go back knowing that things didn’t work out like you’d have wanted them to?>>

After my experience at Swansea, my attitude is just “go where you’re wanted.” The next time I move, if I ever move from D.C. United, it will be somewhere where I’m truly valued and somewhere where I’m there to make a difference on the team, regardless of country or style of play or anything like that. What it comes down to is whether you’re going to get an opportunity – and then it’s on you. And I’ll always bet on myself to make the most of an opportunity.
Ariolla Speaks on 16:18 - May 8 with 584 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:14 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

That’s the sad thing, I don’t think he does.

You think many things.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Ariolla Speaks on 16:19 - May 8 with 584 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 16:14 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

That’s the sad thing, I don’t think he does.

What? You think Cooper actually thought that Arriola was actually good but still didn't play him? What's the evidence for this and what would be the logic behind Cooper doing that?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Ariolla Speaks on 16:23 - May 8 with 574 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 16:18 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

You think many things.

You got that right, for a change.
Ariolla Speaks on 16:27 - May 8 with 565 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 16:19 - May 8 by Chief

What? You think Cooper actually thought that Arriola was actually good but still didn't play him? What's the evidence for this and what would be the logic behind Cooper doing that?

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Coopers ramblings when we first signed Ariolla made pretty obvious he wasn’t part of the plans. Clear disconnect between manager and recruitment = toys out of pram
Ariolla Speaks on 16:28 - May 8 with 565 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:19 - May 8 by Chief

The irony is.

If someone told me Dhanda would end up in the MLS in 10 years time for one of the minnows there as he winds down his career... I wouldn’t be shocked in the slightest.

Arriola is there in his prime.

I remember Joe Mason over there, the ex Cardiff striker they signed from Plymouth who was rubbish. He was there not so long ago, he plays in League 1 now.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:44 - May 8 with 545 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 16:27 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Coopers ramblings when we first signed Ariolla made pretty obvious he wasn’t part of the plans. Clear disconnect between manager and recruitment = toys out of pram

So why did Cooper play him at all then? Or include him in the squad if he never had any intention of playing him? If the toys are out of the pram Cooper wouldn't have played him at all.

Why did Cooper decide to play Morris (a fellow American who Cooper probably didn't choose himself) in 4 out of the 5 games he was for fit for then?

If Arriola is as good as you make out there's no logic in leaving him out. The Morris example proves players who are good enough will play even though they may not have been his signing.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:49 - May 8 with 536 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:44 - May 8 by Chief

So why did Cooper play him at all then? Or include him in the squad if he never had any intention of playing him? If the toys are out of the pram Cooper wouldn't have played him at all.

Why did Cooper decide to play Morris (a fellow American who Cooper probably didn't choose himself) in 4 out of the 5 games he was for fit for then?

If Arriola is as good as you make out there's no logic in leaving him out. The Morris example proves players who are good enough will play even though they may not have been his signing.

Logic? Come on Chief, there is no logic when there is Cooper bashing to do, you know that.

Ariolla Speaks on 16:54 - May 8 with 529 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 16:44 - May 8 by Chief

Ariolla must have got the wrong end of the stick then looking at his comments regarding his time here, as I said the day he signed, Cooper never had any intentions of playing him, Ariolla obviously agreed.

Morris another good example of someone who should have had more minutes. Was it Morris who didn’t include Cooper in his farewell statement? I’ll check shortly.

I’m not saying Ariolla is a world beater. I’m saying he’s better than Dhanda. By quite some distance aswell I would think.
Login to get fewer ads

Ariolla Speaks on 16:58 - May 8 with 528 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 16:54 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Ariolla must have got the wrong end of the stick then looking at his comments regarding his time here, as I said the day he signed, Cooper never had any intentions of playing him, Ariolla obviously agreed.

Morris another good example of someone who should have had more minutes. Was it Morris who didn’t include Cooper in his farewell statement? I’ll check shortly.

I’m not saying Ariolla is a world beater. I’m saying he’s better than Dhanda. By quite some distance aswell I would think.

Doesn’t matter what end of the stick he got.

Whether Cooper wanted him or not was irrelevant. If he had no intentions of playing players he didn’t want... then Arriola and Morris wouldn’t have 8 appearances between them. So that statement is false.

When Morris was here we didn’t lose a league game prior to his injury, in fact winning all but 1 which was a draw away to Brentford with 10 men.

The team selection was entirely justified.

Similar story with Arriola.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:04 - May 8 with 519 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 16:58 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Doesn’t matter what end of the stick he got.

Whether Cooper wanted him or not was irrelevant. If he had no intentions of playing players he didn’t want... then Arriola and Morris wouldn’t have 8 appearances between them. So that statement is false.

When Morris was here we didn’t lose a league game prior to his injury, in fact winning all but 1 which was a draw away to Brentford with 10 men.

The team selection was entirely justified.

Similar story with Arriola.

Ariolla played 17 minutes in two championship appearances,, and during that we scored the winner against Nottingham Forest.

He wasn’t wanted, and there was no intention at all in giving him in minutes. Poor form.
Ariolla Speaks on 17:09 - May 8 with 518 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 17:04 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Ariolla played 17 minutes in two championship appearances,, and during that we scored the winner against Nottingham Forest.

He wasn’t wanted, and there was no intention at all in giving him in minutes. Poor form.

So your desire for this nonsense holds no bounds it seems... even taking a fantastic goal away from Conner Roberts to inexplicably give it to Arriola.

Interesting imagination you have.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:13 - May 8 with 512 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 17:09 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

So your desire for this nonsense holds no bounds it seems... even taking a fantastic goal away from Conner Roberts to inexplicably give it to Arriola.

Interesting imagination you have.

Yes, I’ve just given Ariolla, Roberts goal

You need a lie down.
Ariolla Speaks on 17:15 - May 8 with 510 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 17:13 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

You need a lie down.

Oh so you weren’t giving Arriola the credit for the goal then?

Thank God for that, you have taken some utterly ludicrous stances this season. That would have been right up there.

You backed off well there.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:18 - May 8 with 508 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 16:54 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Yea well wouldn't be the first time a player who couldn't get into a team found blame elsewhere apart from looking at themselves.

Morris played in 4 out of the 5 games he was here for. He had plenty of minutes for a player not yet up to speed having not played in a while, getting used to the championship. Its unfortunate he got injured.

But Arriola wasn't competing with Dhanda for a place was he? I've told you that Dhanda started no games either during the time Arriola was here.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:21 - May 8 with 503 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 17:13 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

You need a lie down.

Ok then, Arriola was on the pitch when Roberts scored. If Cooper had no intention of playing Arriola and didn't want to, why was he on the pitch when we were drawing?

And also why (if Cooper never wanted to play him) would Cooper open himself up to the possibility of Arriola actually doing well in his sub appearances (which he didn't), leafing to more pressure to include him more?

Ariolla Speaks on 17:22 - May 8 with 502 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 17:15 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Oh so you weren’t giving Arriola the credit for the goal then?

Thank God for that, you have taken some utterly ludicrous stances this season. That would have been right up there.

You backed off well there.

Are you thinking/reading straight? Is the anger you are currently feeling playing tricks with your head?

Is what I said not a fact? You love facts usually. Like the one justifying Morris lack of minutes as the game he started we lost. To Man City.
Ariolla Speaks on 17:25 - May 8 with 498 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 17:22 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Are you thinking/reading straight? Is the anger you are currently feeling playing tricks with your head?

Is what I said not a fact? You love facts usually. Like the one justifying Morris lack of minutes as the game he started we lost. To Man City.

You said when he was on the pitch we scored the winner. Surely you were making a point there weren’t you? That in some way the two were connected.

Instead of the actual facts however that Arriola touched the ball 6 times in total against Forest.

5 of which were passes, 2 of which he passed to the other team.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:28 - May 8 with 494 viewsDr_Parnassus

I missed your Morris point.

No, quite different. My point regarding Morris was that the results justified his exclusion added to the fact he hadn’t really done anything to warrant ousting anyone when on such a fantastic run.

So my point is based on what actually happened, yours is on what you hope would happen.

Ariolla Speaks on 17:33 - May 8 with 487 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 17:25 - May 8 by Dr_Parnassus

You said when he was on the pitch we scored the winner. Surely you were making a point there weren’t you? That in some way the two were connected.

Instead of the actual facts however that Arriola touched the ball 6 times in total against Forest.

5 of which were passes, 2 of which he passed to the other team.

Because he was on the pitch. In 17 minutes of championship action he was given, we gained three points in a game we were outplayed in. Read into that what you will.

Morris point still stands. You pointed out many times that when he started we lost, obviously it was to this years Premier League Champions, and quite possibly Champions League winner if algorithm’s are to be believed.
Ariolla Speaks on 17:38 - May 8 with 484 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 17:33 - May 8 by 34dfgdf54

Because he was on the pitch. In 17 minutes of championship action he was given, we gained three points in a game we were outplayed in. Read into that what you will.

Morris point still stands. You pointed out many times that when he started we lost, obviously it was to this years Premier League Champions, and quite possibly Champions League winner if algorithm’s are to be believed.

I did read into it, it led me to the fact he got the ball 5 times and gave it away almost half the time and had nothing to do with the goal we scored.

As for Morris, yes the point regarding Morris was that he did nothing to warrant ousting someone in a team that had won pretty much every game he was there. Whether it was against Man City, Macclesfield or Maidenhead - he didn’t really do anything to warrant replacing someone.

He showed enough to suggest he was a useful option. No more than that.

Ariolla Speaks on 13:31 - May 9 with 400 viewsReslovenSwan1

It seems to me Hourahaine is creative but to some seems lazy. Hourahaine however scores goals and make assists. Grimes, recently, Smith and Fulton do not do this at all or certainly not on a regular basis. Arriola was a goalscorer in the US league and for the US national team. Know to be creative but also know as a grafter. He perhaps was the best option to provide threat and defensive dicipline in hindsight. If Hourahaine does not feature the January window will have been a complete washout and questions need answering.

Arriola, Morris, Hamer, Latibeaudiere, Whittaker, Hourahine and worst of all Freeman. Apart from an early slew of goals from the Irsihman barely any contribution from 7 new players.
[Post edited 9 May 2021 13:39]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Ariolla Speaks on 14:24 - May 9 with 380 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 13:31 - May 9 by ReslovenSwan1

It seems to me Hourahaine is creative but to some seems lazy. Hourahaine however scores goals and make assists. Grimes, recently, Smith and Fulton do not do this at all or certainly not on a regular basis. Arriola was a goalscorer in the US league and for the US national team. Know to be creative but also know as a grafter. He perhaps was the best option to provide threat and defensive dicipline in hindsight. If Hourahaine does not feature the January window will have been a complete washout and questions need answering.

Arriola, Morris, Hamer, Latibeaudiere, Whittaker, Hourahine and worst of all Freeman. Apart from an early slew of goals from the Irsihman barely any contribution from 7 new players.
[Post edited 9 May 2021 13:39]

Well as has been explained several times now, during Arriolas 7 game spell with us when he wasn't injured, we won 5 out of those 7 matches. So clearly a player that you claim Arriola was neither needed nor favoured by Cooper during that time.

The results show (and indeed the nature of the 2 losses) that Cooper was completely justified in his selections during that period. And the resting / rotation point in relation to Arriola is moot as he was only with his 7 games anyway. 2 of which he came on and played in.
[Post edited 9 May 2021 14:29]

Ariolla Speaks on 14:34 - May 9 with 375 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 14:24 - May 9 by Chief

Well as has been explained several times now, during Arriolas 7 game spell with us when he wasn't injured, we won 5 out of those 7 matches. So clearly a player that you claim Arriola was neither needed nor favoured by Cooper during that time.

The results show (and indeed the nature of the 2 losses) that Cooper was completely justified in his selections during that period. And the resting / rotation point in relation to Arriola is moot as he was only with his 7 games anyway. 2 of which he came on and played in.
[Post edited 9 May 2021 14:29]

You ingenious arguement would be valid if Messi had declared his love for Steve Cooper and turned up Fairwood as a free agent. Swansea got 17 points from 21 so Messi was not needed. We could do with him now though v Barnsley.

The player clearly got the impression fom the manager that he was not wanted. I suspect the other 6 players who arrived at the club were not wanted either.

It ia my argument that there is an issue to be resolved here.

If we were back at January what would be done different? One option was to save all the money spent and go all in for Britt Assomabalonga for example. i still remember and on fire Leon Knight v Brentford back in the day. A player that suddenely energised when the stakes were high.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Ariolla Speaks on 14:48 - May 9 with 373 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 14:34 - May 9 by ReslovenSwan1

You ingenious arguement would be valid if Messi had declared his love for Steve Cooper and turned up Fairwood as a free agent. Swansea got 17 points from 21 so Messi was not needed. We could do with him now though v Barnsley.

The player clearly got the impression fom the manager that he was not wanted. I suspect the other 6 players who arrived at the club were not wanted either.

If we were back at January what would be done different? One option was to save all the money spent and go all in for Britt Assomabalonga for example. i still remember and on fire Leon Knight v Brentford back in the day. A player that suddenely energised when the stakes were high.

Messi wouldn’t be stuck in one of the worst teams in the MLS in his prime though, so the evidence would not be as lacking regarding his ability.

If Messi was sent packing by Cooper he would quickly be snapped up by one of the best teams in the world, Arriola will continue to play for one of the worst sides in the MLS and don’t envisage that changing any time soon.

The players that arrived in January were back up players or players for the future (Hourihane aside), it is no surprise that they have not been heavily involved in a side where the squad is heavily stacked, talent wise towards the starting group.

I don’t think anything could have been done differently in January by the management team. If as you say is correct and Cooper had no say in these signings (considering they weren’t wanted) then any decision would have been out of his/their hands, so going back in time would make no difference at all.

Ariolla Speaks on 15:18 - May 9 with 361 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 14:34 - May 9 by ReslovenSwan1

I think you obviously being the disingenuous one by bizarrely bringing one of the worlds greatest ever players, struggling to see you point. Arriola nor Messi are available of selection against Barnsley.

Conversely Cooper obviously also realised for those 7 games that Arriola wasn't capable of contributing. Maybe if he'd not injured&got fully match fit he'd have players more. We'll never know.

A lot of is unfortunate circumstances. Arriola and Morris both got injured and had to leave. Could be bad luck, could be the result of rely on MLS players who hadn't had a decent pre-season. Ultimately that initiative from owners did not work.

Hourihane should be good, scored some important goals but hasn't quite worked out.

Whittaker brought in for the future and has featured plenty since hes bedded in, while Hamer and Freeman were obviously signed as squad fillers. They're aware of their place in the plan.

Signing the likes of Assombalonga would have cost a lot of money, do you think the owners should have sanctioned such an outlay to really bolster the squad then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024