Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? 08:31 - May 6 with 3397 viewsKeithHaynes

The supporters who don’t like his style and persona seem destined to never give him any credibility whatsoever, is it really that possible to dislike someone’s performance entirely without even the slightest bit of recognition even though it’s deserved ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:36 - May 6 with 1606 viewsonehunglow

Interesting question Guv.

I'd ask this. Why is he so loved even though his failings are so obvious. Why do some defend him no matter what he does

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:52 - May 6 with 1601 viewsThornburyswan

Fair challenge Keith - for me you have to respect the league position & points collected over the last 2 seasons for what is a rookie manager & he warrants credit for that plus his connections with the younger U17/19 players & decent top club relationships at that level has led to some quality loan players.

My personal beef has been about the quality of our play & seeming lack of progress in our style, I appreciate the club is in the results business rather than the entertainment version but we have become barely watchable recently - feels like the financial benefit in promotion is the target rather than the sporting/style/achievement, IF (& that’s a big one) we were to make it up I’d expect a minimal spend WBA style plan on coming straight back down & look to utilise the media money to establish financial security (maybe even a sale) rather than sporting success.

All that said I’m slowly coming around to the reality of football in today’s Covid & ESL world and that might be the more strategic route regardless of how painful it is to watch.
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:53 - May 6 with 1600 viewsYrAlarch

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:36 - May 6 by onehunglow

I'd ask this. Why is he so loved even though his failings are so obvious. Why do some defend him no matter what he does

Perhaps it's because he has done a really good job with limited resources.
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:53 - May 6 with 1599 viewsThornburyswan

Very little love for him OHL, more begrudging respect.
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:54 - May 6 with 1587 viewsonehunglow

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:53 - May 6 by YrAlarch

Perhaps it's because he has done a really good job with limited resources.

I loved Doris mind

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:55 - May 6 with 1595 viewspencoedjack

Loved is probably the wrong word.

I think he's done a good job with the tools he has available & our position verifies that.

Is the football (since Christmas) what I want to watch weekly , no.

Moving forward I worry his batch of players from the U17's WC winning side will dry up & he may struggle to bring in players like Guehi, that said he seems to have some decent contacts.

Id love to have a manager who played free flowing football & got us promoted by winning the championship but I am a realistic.
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 09:00 - May 6 with 1576 viewsDr_Winston

There is a tendency in football supporters to claim that such and such has happened despite something. For example, it's often common to see people claim that teams are successful despite a manager. Nonsense of course. No team ever succeeds despite a manager.

Cooper is a hard guy to like. He's prickly, slow to learn and keen to allocate blame but not accept it. His team has consistently played slow, cautious, boring, largely direct football for his entire tenure. We've become a club that grinds points out via attrition rather than winning them in style. It's unustainable in the long run, and the idea of trying to do it in the Prem is frankly terrifying.

Whilst he deserves credit for two playoff finishes in a row, I don't see a massive disconnect between that and wishing that he'd go about his business in a different way, or hoping that someone who can bring a bit of fun back to watching the Swans gets the job instead.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 9:00]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 09:05 - May 6 with 1581 viewsmonmouth

When he’s gone, hopefully before next season, but he’ll only get credit if Winter et al actually manage to choose someone even worse.

Otherwise faint praise is all he will be damned with.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 09:07 - May 6 with 1570 viewsonehunglow

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 08:55 - May 6 by pencoedjack

Loved is probably the wrong word.

I think he's done a good job with the tools he has available & our position verifies that.

Is the football (since Christmas) what I want to watch weekly , no.

Moving forward I worry his batch of players from the U17's WC winning side will dry up & he may struggle to bring in players like Guehi, that said he seems to have some decent contacts.

Id love to have a manager who played free flowing football & got us promoted by winning the championship but I am a realistic.

Lovely reply and a very good morning to you.
A very fair riposte.

We all have or have had our favourite managers

I loved Tosh,Martinez and Rodgers. Those were worthy of "love".

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 09:32 - May 6 with 1553 viewsKeithHaynes

Specifics ?
Not generic statements. Specific points.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 09:57 - May 6 with 1541 viewspencoedjack

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 09:07 - May 6 by onehunglow

Lovely reply and a very good morning to you.
A very fair riposte.

We all have or have had our favourite managers

I loved Tosh,Martinez and Rodgers. Those were worthy of "love".

Good morning Rich.

Laudrup for me
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 10:09 - May 6 with 1533 viewsDr_Parnassus

When he’s gone and the next manager has to achieve the same on the same budget.

People will quickly realise our predicament and long for the days of “turgid” Cooper.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 10:42 - May 6 with 1509 viewsjack247

I don’t think anyone loves Steve Cooper.

His football isn’t the most aesthetic, we had a few bright spells during games earlier in the season, but they are few and far between. He’s a difficult guy to take to and as Dr W says further down the thread is great at deflecting blame but taking credit.

The question is, whether he deserves some credit. He’s got us to the playoffs twice in two seasons. Only Rodgers has managed that in recent memory. He’s done it with weaker teams (IMO) than we had in 2020/11 as well.

For me, as much as I’d love us to play entertaining football, yes he does.
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 10:57 - May 6 with 1498 viewsDr_Parnassus

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 10:42 - May 6 by jack247

I don’t think anyone loves Steve Cooper.

His football isn’t the most aesthetic, we had a few bright spells during games earlier in the season, but they are few and far between. He’s a difficult guy to take to and as Dr W says further down the thread is great at deflecting blame but taking credit.

The question is, whether he deserves some credit. He’s got us to the playoffs twice in two seasons. Only Rodgers has managed that in recent memory. He’s done it with weaker teams (IMO) than we had in 2020/11 as well.

For me, as much as I’d love us to play entertaining football, yes he does.

Rodgers did it once, we were promoted at first attempt.

I think I’m right in saying Cooper is the only manager in our history to guide us to back to back play-offs.

Unless I’m forgetting something obvious.

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 10:59 - May 6 with 1499 viewsjack247

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 10:57 - May 6 by Dr_Parnassus

Rodgers did it once, we were promoted at first attempt.

I think I’m right in saying Cooper is the only manager in our history to guide us to back to back play-offs.

Unless I’m forgetting something obvious.

Yeah, I meant Rodgers was the only manager that had done it at all. I wasn’t under the impression he had done it twice. You don’t need to when you win them.
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 11:47 - May 6 with 1463 viewsBoundy

Because he has as we all have ,redeeming features , yes so far IMO he's shown to be at times tactically inept not sure of his best side, the timings of his substitutions questionable, but those aside he's proven to have the team playing for the Club if not himself , is willing to learn and trusts his players , not forgetting with extremely limited financial resources has been successful in:
a. kept us in the Championship when it looked likely we could drop down .
b.two years running finishing in the play offs , therefore a lot of credit is due to him

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 12:28 - May 6 with 1433 viewsonehunglow

Decent exchanges here.
We can really do it,can’t we.

Well done us

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 12:34 - May 6 with 1431 viewsA_Fans_Dad

He gets grudging respectfrom me for his contacts and ability to bring in players.
Dr Winston says "No team ever succeeds despite a manager. "
Which is patently false, because
despite him fitting square players in round positions,
despite him playing the same players almost to burn out,
despite him leaving subs way too long in to the game to properly affect it,
despite his inability to see that some combinations of midfield players just does not work,
despite his obvious lack of understanding how fast wingers get behind defenses, so doesn't use them,
despite him being very very slow to react to changing game situations brought about by more game astute managers,
despite him continuing with tactics that no longer work game after game, the players inate ability, drive, pride and love of their club and sheer guts to keep playing trying to the end continues to bring about surprising draws or wins from what look like lost games.
However the way that the players play is not just down to him, but also his coaching and fitness teams, but that is not his abilty.

Ability is what he should be judged on.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 12:36]
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 13:19 - May 6 with 1386 viewsDr_Winston

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 12:34 - May 6 by A_Fans_Dad

He gets grudging respectfrom me for his contacts and ability to bring in players.
Dr Winston says "No team ever succeeds despite a manager. "
Which is patently false, because
despite him fitting square players in round positions,
despite him playing the same players almost to burn out,
despite him leaving subs way too long in to the game to properly affect it,
despite his inability to see that some combinations of midfield players just does not work,
despite his obvious lack of understanding how fast wingers get behind defenses, so doesn't use them,
despite him being very very slow to react to changing game situations brought about by more game astute managers,
despite him continuing with tactics that no longer work game after game, the players inate ability, drive, pride and love of their club and sheer guts to keep playing trying to the end continues to bring about surprising draws or wins from what look like lost games.
However the way that the players play is not just down to him, but also his coaching and fitness teams, but that is not his abilty.

Ability is what he should be judged on.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 12:36]

I don't much like Cooper. I don't like the way he manages my side, I don't like the football he plays and I don't much like what I've seen of him as a person. I'll shed not a single tear on the day he departs. But it's frankly mad to suggest that we've achieved the playoffs in consecutive seasons despite him.

You and the phrase "patently false" could do with some time together to work things out.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 13:22 - May 6 with 1379 viewsReslovenSwan1

I do not think Swansea can progress in the play offs unless Cooper can "pull a rabbit out of a hat" to confuse rookie manager at Bournemouth, and the Dane, and the Frenchman.

This might be a cute tactical switch or a calculated risk of some sort. The 3-5-2 with a Smith Grimes and Fulton midfield with no Hourahaine will not do.

The Irishman, Ayew and Lowe need to play the matches of their careers. Cooper will not be judged on mid season aestetics but what he can deliver when the chips are really down.

All 14 of his featuring players must put in man of the match performances now when it really counts. This will be the notional "tournament philosophy" . Do enough in the preminaries and deliver big time in the last three games.

I have criticised lack of rotation but accept if the players are all sharp and energetic in the play off my arguments are not valid. "we will not change anything" does not suggest a play off improvement. We will see. The proof is in the pudding and it is in the kitchen and heading to our table.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 13:25]

Wise sage since Toshack era

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 13:35 - May 6 with 1368 viewsAjack_Kerouac

For me, he is obviously doing a great job.

We had no right to expect back to back play offs when every summer we sell the best players and spend a pittance on replacements.

His use of the loan market has been key, his willingness to adapt the formation, his seeming ability to pick the boys back up after they've been on a bad run.

I for one am grateful to Cooper.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 13:53 - May 6 with 1351 viewsDr_Parnassus

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 13:35 - May 6 by Ajack_Kerouac

For me, he is obviously doing a great job.

We had no right to expect back to back play offs when every summer we sell the best players and spend a pittance on replacements.

His use of the loan market has been key, his willingness to adapt the formation, his seeming ability to pick the boys back up after they've been on a bad run.

I for one am grateful to Cooper.

I don’t see how it can be viewed any other way really.

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 14:19 - May 6 with 1333 viewsA_Fans_Dad

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 13:19 - May 6 by Dr_Winston

I don't much like Cooper. I don't like the way he manages my side, I don't like the football he plays and I don't much like what I've seen of him as a person. I'll shed not a single tear on the day he departs. But it's frankly mad to suggest that we've achieved the playoffs in consecutive seasons despite him.

You and the phrase "patently false" could do with some time together to work things out.

Opinions isn't it?
When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 14:30 - May 6 with 1325 viewsDr_Winston

Some people hold the opinion that the Earth is flat. Doesn't mean that their opinion should be taken seriously.

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 14:35 - May 6 with 1323 viewsA_Fans_Dad

When does Steve Cooper get some credit ? on 14:30 - May 6 by Dr_Winston

Some people hold the opinion that the Earth is flat. Doesn't mean that their opinion should be taken seriously.

I totally agree, which is why I ignore yours.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024