Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Election Turnout 09:42 - May 8 with 1700 viewsYrAlarch

I know that this subject has been touched upon on other posts but I thought I would start a completely new thread. Whichever way you may have voted it must be of concern that so few, less than 50%, actually voted. There may be a number of reasons why people have not exercised their democratic privilege but I wonder how many people who complain about Government policies/actions actually did vote. Is the time right to make voting compulsory, as is the case in some other countries?
The Election Turnout on 09:46 - May 8 with 1070 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Lowest turnout was in Swansea East, a pathetic 35%.

Politicians aren’t inspiring people at all. Nothing’s going to change so what’s the point seems to be the prevailing view.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Election Turnout on 10:26 - May 8 with 1000 viewsCatullus

The WOL was sayingthey expected a really good turnout because there were long queues at polling stations. Then the number turns out to be 46.6 percent. Labour getting roughly 420,000 of a possible 2.32 million votes.

There we have it then, we will be governed by people who got 20% of the possible vote. Remember when people moan about being run by a tory government we never vote for yet in the 2019 General election the Tories got 557,000 votes.

Voting should be compulsory.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Election Turnout on 10:44 - May 8 with 968 viewstrampie

I don't think voting should be compulsory, people with no interest, might end up skewing the result for a different choice to people who do take an interest.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Election Turnout on 11:23 - May 8 with 966 viewsLohengrin

The Election Turnout on 09:46 - May 8 by Joe_bradshaw

Politicians aren’t inspiring people at all. Nothing’s going to change so what’s the point seems to be the prevailing view.

I raised the question of apathy on the independence thread, Joe. Raising the probability that turnout was on a downward trajectory. Just taking the people I work with as a representative sample there’s the widespread conviction there that nobody speaks either to or for them and that they themselves have no agency whatsoever.

There was a phrase coined in the ‘70s in different circumstances - ‘the democratic deficit.’ That serves as a pretty solid descriptor for what I’m talking about.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Election Turnout on 11:24 - May 8 with 964 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Election Turnout on 09:46 - May 8 by Joe_bradshaw

Not surprised at low turn out in Swansea East. Their Senedd representative has even less charisma than Drakeford.

The Welsh voting public clearly believe that the UK General Election, with a 67% turn out in Wales, is far more important.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Election Turnout on 11:28 - May 8 with 952 viewsonehunglow

The Election Turnout on 11:23 - May 8 by Lohengrin

I raised the question of apathy on the independence thread, Joe. Raising the probability that turnout was on a downward trajectory. Just taking the people I work with as a representative sample there’s the widespread conviction there that nobody speaks either to or for them and that they themselves have no agency whatsoever.

There was a phrase coined in the ‘70s in different circumstances - ‘the democratic deficit.’ That serves as a pretty solid descriptor for what I’m talking about.

Loh.
It is because Labour no longer represents that who they purport to represent.

Conservative traditional appeal to small businesses as well as big .

We simply have to break free or die in the apathy of it all.

Most people want better .

Tories have promised but rarely delivered and Labour simply does not know what it wants.It can rely on South Wales,Liverpool and a few inner city sink holes where the hate tradition is strong.

I have abject contempt for the parties and for the electorate as a whole,a seething mass of ignorance and cynicism

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Election Turnout on 11:30 - May 8 with 953 views73__73

Make it compulsory ? What if you don’t support what’s on offer

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

The Election Turnout on 11:32 - May 8 with 950 viewsonehunglow

The Election Turnout on 11:30 - May 8 by 73__73

Compulsory.
Dear God.

Can you just imagine the kids even leaving their phones for a minute.

Cynical attempt by Labour to kid the young

Login to get fewer ads

The Election Turnout on 11:38 - May 8 with 938 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Election Turnout on 11:24 - May 8 by felixstowe_jack

Not surprised at low turn out in Swansea East. Their Senedd representative has even less charisma than Drakeford.

The Welsh voting public clearly believe that the UK General Election, with a 67% turn out in Wales, is far more important.

It is of course and that’s why any Welsh politician with any sense wants to be a Westminster MP rather than a member of the Senedd.

Even Plaid Cymru who had a disastrous result yesterday have, in Liz Saville-Roberts, someone who I may rarely agree with but she knocks spots of the useless Adam Price and the useless Leanne Wood by at least making coherent arguments and speaking well in the House of Commons. There’s no wonder the turnout was so low. Uninspiring politicians across all parties to choose from does that to an electorate.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Election Turnout on 11:42 - May 8 with 935 viewsLohengrin

The Election Turnout on 11:28 - May 8 by onehunglow

Loh.

Tories have promised but rarely delivered and Labour simply does not know what it wants.It can rely on South Wales,Liverpool and a few inner city sink holes where the hate tradition is strong.

I have abject contempt for the parties and for the electorate as a whole,a seething mass of ignorance and cynicism

It’s because the entire spectrum is perceived to be populated variously by liars, crooks, careerists and cranks.

A perception grounded in the observable.

The Election Turnout on 11:55 - May 8 with 915 viewsCatullus

The Election Turnout on 11:30 - May 8 by 73__73

Yes, make it compulsory but have a "none of the above" box so we can reject all of them!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The Election Turnout on 11:55 - May 8 with 914 viewsonehunglow

The Election Turnout on 11:42 - May 8 by Lohengrin

It’s because the entire spectrum is perceived to be populated variously by liars, crooks, careerists and cranks.

Beautifully succinct

The Election Turnout on 12:03 - May 8 with 907 viewsYrAlarch

The Election Turnout on 11:42 - May 8 by Lohengrin

Your cynicism and that of OHL are understandable. The problem is that if we all disappear into our shells then nothing can change and those liars, crooks, careerists and cranks will continue to dominate. There are honest, decent, moral, sincere politicians about. We just have to discover them, whatever party they belong to.
The Election Turnout on 12:07 - May 8 with 897 viewsonehunglow

The Election Turnout on 12:03 - May 8 by YrAlarch

Your cynicism and that of OHL are understandable. The problem is that if we all disappear into our shells then nothing can change and those liars, crooks, careerists and cranks will continue to dominate. There are honest, decent, moral, sincere politicians about. We just have to discover them, whatever party they belong to.

Very fair indeed Alarch.Im giving one (unarrow)

The Election Turnout on 12:09 - May 8 with 880 viewstrampie

Leanne Wood.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Election Turnout on 12:13 - May 8 with 887 viewsLohengrin

The solution to every problem exists. I don’t doubt that but a trawl through the existing parties is unlikely to prove a particularly fruitful one.

The Election Turnout on 12:21 - May 8 with 876 views73__73

The Election Turnout on 12:09 - May 8 by trampie

Leanne Wood.

Who 😂

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

The Election Turnout on 12:21 - May 8 with 876 viewsLohengrin

The Election Turnout on 12:09 - May 8 by trampie

Leanne Wood.

It’s nice to see you’ve retained a sense of humour after yesterday, Tramp.

The Election Turnout on 12:24 - May 8 with 873 viewsunion_jack

The Election Turnout on 10:44 - May 8 by trampie

I don't think voting should be compulsory, people with no interest, might end up skewing the result for a different choice to people who do take an interest.

What you really mean us that those who are more apathetic about voting are likely to vot to maintain the status quo. Those who want change probably did vote and we all saw the results with our own eyes. Not good eh Tramps!

I'm all for compulsory voting!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Election Turnout on 12:31 - May 8 with 858 viewsCatullus

Or maybe the problem is also that many of us feel our only choices are the insanely useless or the corrupt?
Honest politicians do not often rise very far. Look at Bojo's cabinet, anyone who dared disagree with him is ejected, anyone who isn't prepared to follow his lead and lie, decieve and mislead, is out. So we end up with people like Matt Hancock, Raab, Patel, and on the Andrew Marr show last Sunday Liz Truss was furiosly trying to answer questions in such a way as not to incriminate Bojo.
Of them all Sunak looks like the only decent one, but is he decent?

The Election Turnout on 12:43 - May 8 with 850 viewsYrAlarch

The Election Turnout on 12:31 - May 8 by Catullus

Or maybe the problem is also that many of us feel our only choices are the insanely useless or the corrupt?
Honest politicians do not often rise very far. Look at Bojo's cabinet, anyone who dared disagree with him is ejected, anyone who isn't prepared to follow his lead and lie, decieve and mislead, is out. So we end up with people like Matt Hancock, Raab, Patel, and on the Andrew Marr show last Sunday Liz Truss was furiosly trying to answer questions in such a way as not to incriminate Bojo.
Of them all Sunak looks like the only decent one, but is he decent?

I suppose it could be argued that the problem lies with our whole system of government. perhaps we are not so democratic as we like to believe. Those who argue that our votes count for nothing give a truth to that.
The Election Turnout on 12:44 - May 8 with 850 viewsLittleEnglandJack

I don't buy the 'there were no politicians that inspired them' line. None of them inspired me either, but I still voted because I was treating it as a referendum on the Welsh Government's Covid response.

Surely everyone has an opinion on that, since it has been part of everyday life for over a year. Approve- vote Welsh Labour. Disapprove- vote for who you think is best placed to beat them.

Really disheartening that over half of voters don't seem to have an opinion either way.
The Election Turnout on 12:53 - May 8 with 838 viewsCatullus

The Election Turnout on 12:44 - May 8 by LittleEnglandJack

I don't buy the 'there were no politicians that inspired them' line. None of them inspired me either, but I still voted because I was treating it as a referendum on the Welsh Government's Covid response.

Surely everyone has an opinion on that, since it has been part of everyday life for over a year. Approve- vote Welsh Labour. Disapprove- vote for who you think is best placed to beat them.

Really disheartening that over half of voters don't seem to have an opinion either way.

It couldnt be just about the pandemic though. If it was it would only be a yes or no for Labour, we can't judge the parties not in power on that basis.

No, I looked at the last 22 years and saw a gradual decline, lengthening waiting lists even before the pandemic, worsening education and with this new curriculum coming in, a possible education disaster, lack of investment in most of Wales.

The Election Turnout on 13:37 - May 8 with 805 viewsmax936

The Election Turnout on 10:26 - May 8 by Catullus

The WOL was sayingthey expected a really good turnout because there were long queues at polling stations. Then the number turns out to be 46.6 percent. Labour getting roughly 420,000 of a possible 2.32 million votes.

There we have it then, we will be governed by people who got 20% of the possible vote. Remember when people moan about being run by a tory government we never vote for yet in the 2019 General election the Tories got 557,000 votes.

Voting should be compulsory.

"Voting should be compulsory"

Disagree, I appreciate that people fought for our right to vote, but if people have little interest or have no faith in any party, they should be allowed to abstain from voting, I honestly can't remember the last time I did, My Bad.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Election Turnout on 17:14 - May 8 with 775 viewsKilkennyjack

The Election Turnout on 11:28 - May 8 by onehunglow

Loh.

Who voted for Labour then ?

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024