Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) AFTERMATH 18:44 - May 10 with 14804 viewsNotLoyal

It’s the first leg of the Championship play offs, that’s the semi final, before the final, two games though, when the goals are all added up it means the winners go through to another game. After that game they could become losers. The Duckworth Lewis method won’t be used in any of these games even though Dicky the bird is from Barnsley.

Barnsley v Swansea City
EFL Championship Play Off 1st Leg
Monday 17th May 2021
Kick off 8.15pm UK time
Oakwell Stadium

FULL COVERAGE LIVE ON SKY

Match Officials
Tony Harrington ( who always books players, and we mean in every game he and officiated this season ) began refereeing in the Teesside Junior Football Alliance at the age of 14, having completed a basic refereeing course whilst at school as part of the Duke of Edinburgh award. After four years as an EFL assistant referee and four years as a National League referee, he was appointed to the EFL Referees List in 2012/13 and has now overseen more than 190 EFL matches. Tony is the Grandson of Tommy McGuigan, who is in the Hartlepool United record books for top 10 number of appearances and goals for the club. Harrington will be assisted by Shaun Hudson and Richard Wild whilst Geoff Eltringham is the fourth official.

The championship play off final by all accounts leads to the saying “ The biggest financial reward in the world of football” Or similar. However, is it ? This isn’t the final, it’s the game before, but not the actual game before it’s the one before the one before. The last time Barnsley beat Swansea City in an actual league game was 1983. Strangely, in the 2006 final of the play offs Barnsley beat Swansea on penalties. That game was played next to the railway station near Leckwith, 36,000 swans fans attended the game that day. It could have been more but that’s the official attendance.

Barnsley’s record v Swansea City
Games won: 24
Games drawn: 15
Games lost: 37

Includes FA Cup, League Cup and Play Off game.

Barnsley ‘Who wooda thunk it” ?
Barnsley have been in two FA Cup finals but never at Wembley. In 1910 they lost to Newcastle, then in 1912 they beat WBA 1-0 after a replay. They have been at Wembley for an FA Cup semi final in 2008, the manager then was ex Swansea City player Simon Davey. They lost the game. In 2000 at Wembley Barnsley lost to Ipswich Town in a play off final and in 2016 Barnsley won the EFL Trophy beating Oxford. Well, “Who wooda thunk it “ ?

Barnsley in 1897 when they were called Barnsley St Peter’s

MORE TO FOLLOW.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Play Off Semi Final : The Real Danger Man Valérien Ismaël 9th May 2021 14:25
One of the most impressive managers in the championship this season has to be Valérien Ismaël. Now a German citizen he was born in Strasbourg, France. During his playing career, Ismaël played for Racing Strasbourg, Crystal Palace, RC Lens, Werder Bremen, Bayern Munich, and Hannover 96. He has taken that success as a player in to his coaching methodology and very similar to Steve Cooper - but at a far higher level, Valérien Ismaël knows exactly how to guide and mentor his players. 1

It’s Matchday at last, it has been hard to really think other than positively, however, let’s just remember.

Come on City!! Good Luck Boys on SATURDAY! by 1983 14 May 2021 7:48
Lets see if we can get this job done

We are just 3 games from the Premiership

Again another tale in the story of Swansea City Football Club the club I love and I grew up from a gobby teenager to a grumpy oldman with my family & friends some of whom are not here anymore but I can still see them and hear them on the North Bank and in The Liberty

Good Luck boys [clap] [clap]

Change of ref for tonight

Geoff Eltringham has replaced Tony ‘whose coat’ Harrington. David Webb is now fourth official.

Swansea Independent report at 9am.

Cooper out thinks Valérien in the Play Off first leg tie at Oakwell 18th May 2021 09:00
It was always going to be a tight game, the newly inspired top six latecomers Barnsley against the methodical percentage tactics of Swansea City. However to win the game it takes more than an off the pitch vision and tonight Coopers surprise selection got it spot on. 0

Brief highlights

[Post edited 18 May 2021 15:43]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 09:33 - May 11 with 5424 viewsSwans9

I would take any type of draw or a win would be ideal. I will go for a Fulton screamer 1 1. Surely we will turn up for this one.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 10:24 - May 11 with 5388 viewsKeithHaynes

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 09:33 - May 11 by Swans9

I would take any type of draw or a win would be ideal. I will go for a Fulton screamer 1 1. Surely we will turn up for this one.

They definitely will.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 13:36 - May 11 with 5294 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 10:24 - May 11 by KeithHaynes

They definitely will.

I have a weird feeling we will beat Barnsley with no real trouble and will get Bournemouth in the final and we could well take them too.

I ve bought a rather expensive Pomerol to celebrate

I kid you not

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 18:40 - May 11 with 5201 viewsshingle

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 09:33 - May 11 by Swans9

Well if we do not turn up the game will be off and a ban and massive fine will be in order.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 08:49 - May 12 with 4999 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 18:40 - May 11 by shingle

Well if we do not turn up the game will be off and a ban and massive fine will be in order.

Let's all get behind Steve and be positive .
Doom and Gloom suspended.

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 10:14 - May 12 with 4989 viewsjohnlangy

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 08:49 - May 12 by onehunglow

Let's all get behind Steve and be positive .
Doom and Gloom suspended.

Agreed 100%.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 11:41 - May 12 with 4941 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 10:14 - May 12 by johnlangy

Agreed 100%.

John.
Ive gone the whole hog and ordered a shed full of local produce and also two dozen croissants (made in Wallasey) . We have a local brewery that does decent beer too...

Talking to a blues (everton) neighbour this morning,he says he,like most evertonian ,want to see us back in the Prem at their new stadium. That would be a great occasion as their stadium WILL be built soon and it's in prime position unlike Anfield.

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 14:34 - May 12 with 4892 views1983

Come on City!

2-1 to the Jacks one game at at time

Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 17:28 - May 12 with 4826 viewsjohnlangy

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 11:41 - May 12 by onehunglow

John.
Ive gone the whole hog and ordered a shed full of local produce and also two dozen croissants (made in Wallasey) . We have a local brewery that does decent beer too...

Talking to a blues (everton) neighbour this morning,he says he,like most evertonian ,want to see us back in the Prem at their new stadium. That would be a great occasion as their stadium WILL be built soon and it's in prime position unlike Anfield.

All for Monday night ? Sounds as if you're in for a good night.

And imagine if we do it ! We've carped on (rightly) about the quality of the football but that doesn't stop us just wanting the Swans to win every game.

I'll be with a few of my regular group that sit together at the Liberty. Now that the rules say we can
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 19:43 - May 12 with 4755 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City have announced that the kick-off time of their play-off semi-final second leg against Barnsley has been moved.

The match was scheduled to start at 5.30pm on Saturday, May 22.

But it has now been put back an hour to 6.30pm.

It was announced earlier this week that supporters would be able to attend the clash against the Tykes as the Welsh Government confirmed a number of pilot events to take place in Wales this month.

As a first step in the national plan out of Covid-19, Swansea's home game against the Reds, Newport County's play-off match against Forest Green Rovers on May 18 and Wales' European Championships warm-up tie against Albania at Cardiff City Stadium on June 5 have been selected as trials for spectators to return to stadiums once again.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 19:51 - May 12 with 4737 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 17:28 - May 12 by johnlangy

All for Monday night ? Sounds as if you're in for a good night.

And imagine if we do it ! We've carped on (rightly) about the quality of the football but that doesn't stop us just wanting the Swans to win every game.

I'll be with a few of my regular group that sit together at the Liberty. Now that the rules say we can

Nope.It's for final.
Last time we went up ,we had a street full of complainants all of whom were told to farkoff

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 22:15 - May 12 with 4674 viewspencoedjack

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 19:51 - May 12 by onehunglow

Nope.It's for final.
Last time we went up ,we had a street full of complainants all of whom were told to farkoff

1 nil Ayew

COYS
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 22:16 - May 12 with 4673 viewsAguycalledJack

2nd leg now at 6.30pm.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 08:43 - May 13 with 4500 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 22:16 - May 12 by AguycalledJack

2nd leg now at 6.30pm.

Perfect timing.
An early dinner then settle dow

Im getting kinda excited by all this .71 or not

Our workmen at the Towers here will be watching us and supporting us,though probably they'll be looking to getting fed more cream cakes ,Victoria Sponge and Earl Grey tea

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) on 08:49 - May 17 with 3595 views34dfgdf54

2-0 to Swans, Ayew with both. Big game player.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 13:13 - May 17 with 3402 viewsvetchonian

Any thoughts on tonights lineup?

My punt I think we will start
Woodman
Naughton Bennett Geuhi

Grimes

Roberts Fulton HOurihane Bidwell

Ayew Lowe

Then maybe half time

Woodman
ROberts Cabango Geuhi Manning

Grimes
Fulton Hourihane
Ayew Lowe
Cullen

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 13:26 - May 17 with 3387 viewsWhiterockin

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 13:13 - May 17 by vetchonian

Any thoughts on tonights lineup?

My punt I think we will start
Woodman
Naughton Bennett Geuhi

Grimes

Roberts Fulton HOurihane Bidwell

Ayew Lowe

Then maybe half time

Woodman
ROberts Cabango Geuhi Manning

Grimes
Fulton Hourihane
Ayew Lowe
Cullen

This would be my preference.

Woodman

Naughton Bennett Geuhi

Roberts Fulton Grimes Bidwell

Ayew Cooper Lowe
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 14:19 - May 17 with 3326 views1983

Ayew will be massive in this game Barnsley fans hate him

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 14:33 - May 17 with 3308 viewsBadlands

Tony Harrington out Geoff Eltringham in

Will this make any difference?

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 14:43 - May 17 with 3294 views34dfgdf54

I think Cooper goes 352 today. Will gamble on keeping it tight in the away leg, on a cabbage patch of a pitch (apparently it's still bad).

*****************Freddie*******************
******Naughton***Bennett*****Guehi*********
Roberts***Fulton***Grimes***Hourihane***Bidwell
*************Ayew******Lowe**************
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 14:58 - May 17 with 3272 viewsnantywatcher

Just watched the Barnsley owner interviewed on SKY - left me quite depressed. Seemed like a real good guy and had flown thousands of miles to support his team for this game. Little chance of our lot ever matching that.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 15:00 - May 17 with 3264 viewsWhiterockin

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 14:58 - May 17 by nantywatcher

Just watched the Barnsley owner interviewed on SKY - left me quite depressed. Seemed like a real good guy and had flown thousands of miles to support his team for this game. Little chance of our lot ever matching that.

From a country on the green list?
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 15:29 - May 17 with 3217 viewsnantywatcher

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 15:00 - May 17 by Whiterockin

From a country on the green list?

Chinese - American.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 16:50 - May 17 with 3096 viewspencoedjack

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 14:43 - May 17 by 34dfgdf54

I think Cooper goes 352 today. Will gamble on keeping it tight in the away leg, on a cabbage patch of a pitch (apparently it's still bad).

*****************Freddie*******************
******Naughton***Bennett*****Guehi*********
Roberts***Fulton***Grimes***Hourihane***Bidwell
*************Ayew******Lowe**************

Yep that would be my side as well.

0 1 Ayew (especially as I have a bet on him as 1st scorer 13/2 with Will Hill)
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 17:25 - May 17 with 3048 viewsCatullus

Sorry but I can't get enthusiastic over Hourihane starting. Barnsley will be in our faces, they work hard, close down quickly. That's not been Hourihanes kind of game. I'd start Smith.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024