Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The decline in educational standards... 09:21 - May 28 with 5795 viewsAjack_Kerouac

Check out this exam paper 13 year old's in Inverness were expected to answer in 1944 and then compare with your 13 year old's History exam papers in what passes for 'Education' today.

Do you agree that standards have declined?
If not what are your reasons?
If you agree that standards have declined what do you put this down to?

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

The decline in educational standards... on 13:05 - May 28 with 1022 viewsLohengrin

The decline in educational standards... on 12:51 - May 28 by Gwyn737

Shhhh.... You'll start a dicussion on 5G masts!

I was being flippant but here's the relvent bit from the National Curriculum (2013):

- interpret Ordnance Survey maps in the classroom and the field, including using grid
references and scale, topographical and other thematic mapping, and aerial and
satellite photographs

It's a statutory element so would have been taught. Why it was not retained could be for a myriad of reasons.

Pretty much what it was in the ‘70s and ‘80s then if memory serves, Gwyn. A pretty central element of Geography lessons.

I can’t imagine why it would have been dropped? It’s a strange one.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The decline in educational standards... on 13:13 - May 28 with 1011 viewsFireboy2

The decline in educational standards... on 12:48 - May 28 by 73__73

Is anyone surprised. After all look at the standard of teachers these day’s.

And what's experience have you had to come up with that statement then?
The decline in educational standards... on 13:22 - May 28 with 1005 viewsMrSwerve

Teachers now are (in general) far more qualified and prepared than any teachers were pre-90s.

Maybe if they had less admin sh*te to do in parallel, as well as making up for shortcomings in poor parenting, they could actually concentrate on what they are paid to do.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The decline in educational standards... on 13:31 - May 28 with 996 viewsAjack_Kerouac

The decline in educational standards... on 12:44 - May 28 by Gwyn737

That was my point. Unless you make the argument that school should teach the enitre body of knowledge throughout the hiistory of time, examples like the Inverness one mean nothing.

Could the children who answered those questions answer ones on the Rebecca Riots?

Meaningless clickbait.

The 18 year old with the A* in History had told me that one of the topics he covered at 'A' level was the Tudor dynasty and specifically the reign of Elizabethan I.
That's why the conversation veered in the direction of the Protestant Reformation...he was utterly clueless.
A*.

For those not so interested in History, the above is like talking to a student who had studied the Cold War and then when you bring up WWII he/she knows next to zero about WWII other than the dates.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

The decline in educational standards... on 14:40 - May 28 with 963 viewsProfessor

The decline in educational standards... on 13:05 - May 28 by Lohengrin

Pretty much what it was in the ‘70s and ‘80s then if memory serves, Gwyn. A pretty central element of Geography lessons.

I can’t imagine why it would have been dropped? It’s a strange one.

My daughter recently completed A level geography and my son is undertaking it for GCSE and interpretation of OS maps, symbols and topography is still included for AQA at least I can assure you.

An important point is that current GCSEs have more elements of interpretation and analysis than old "O' levels. Science is far more around function and application that some of the rubbish like labelling diagrams of stickleback anatomy that I did.
The decline in educational standards... on 14:48 - May 28 with 956 viewsProfessor

The decline in educational standards... on 13:22 - May 28 by MrSwerve

Teachers now are (in general) far more qualified and prepared than any teachers were pre-90s.

Maybe if they had less admin sh*te to do in parallel, as well as making up for shortcomings in poor parenting, they could actually concentrate on what they are paid to do.

The level of teaching and teaching material, teacher commitment and professionalism my two have experienced far outstrips what I had in the 70s and 80s.

Easier to blame teachers than engage with and support your kids education though.

I agree about grade inflation though-my daughter got AAB at 'A' level -a reward for her graft, but could not envisage her having got more than 'BCC" compared to 30 years ago. But she worked far harder too. University level is a nightmare, though most teaching I do is on non-honours professionally accredited programs (Batchelor of Veterinary Science), though that is also less academic and more skills focussed-the idea being that newly qualified MRCVS are day one competent rather than have the knowledge to become competent through work.
The decline in educational standards... on 14:52 - May 28 with 947 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 13:31 - May 28 by Ajack_Kerouac

The 18 year old with the A* in History had told me that one of the topics he covered at 'A' level was the Tudor dynasty and specifically the reign of Elizabethan I.
That's why the conversation veered in the direction of the Protestant Reformation...he was utterly clueless.
A*.

For those not so interested in History, the above is like talking to a student who had studied the Cold War and then when you bring up WWII he/she knows next to zero about WWII other than the dates.

Here the AQA objectives for the Elizabethan period:

-Elizabethan government: court, ministers and parliament; factional rivalries
-Foreign affairs: issues of succession; Mary, Queen of Scots; relations with Spain
-Society: continuity and change; problems in the regions; social discontent and rebellions
-Economic development: trade, exploration and colonisation; prosperity and depression
-Religious developments, change and continuity; the English renaissance and ‘the Golden Age’ of art, literature and music
-The last years of Elizabeth: the state of England politically, economically, religiously and socially by 1603

The 18 year old you know would have been in the top 5% tested on this syllabus.

You’ve asked one person one question on one topic that you think they should know (yet may not have been taught) and dammed an entire education system.

Every year I feel for the kids who work hard, get the grades and are immediately told by some how easy it is.
The decline in educational standards... on 15:52 - May 28 with 924 viewsProfessor

The decline in educational standards... on 14:52 - May 28 by Gwyn737

-Foreign affairs: issues of succession; Mary, Queen of Scots; relations with Spain
-Society: continuity and change; problems in the regions; social discontent and rebellions
-Economic development: trade, exploration and colonisation; prosperity and depression
-Religious developments, change and continuity; the English renaissance and ‘the Golden Age’ of art, literature and music
-The last years of Elizabeth: the state of England politically, economically, religiously and socially by 1603

You’ve asked one person one question on one topic that you think they should know (yet may not have been taught) and dammed an entire education system.

Every year I feel for the kids who work hard, get the grades and are immediately told by some how easy it is.

Gwyn-as lovely as it would be to get a broader education, from primary to PhD it's become a results business and schools have to teach for students to pass. That is the system and not one designed by those within it. At HE level the fear of the National Student Survey and the notion that the (paying) customer are always right has a had a negative effect and I feel lucky to have gone to University is more flexible times. I feel my postgrad students know less than 15 years ago, but are far more skilled to delver outcomes in the lab, perform analyses and able to deal with change better. They may need to read more but are far more employable.
Login to get fewer ads

The decline in educational standards... on 16:00 - May 28 with 917 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 15:52 - May 28 by Professor

Gwyn-as lovely as it would be to get a broader education, from primary to PhD it's become a results business and schools have to teach for students to pass. That is the system and not one designed by those within it. At HE level the fear of the National Student Survey and the notion that the (paying) customer are always right has a had a negative effect and I feel lucky to have gone to University is more flexible times. I feel my postgrad students know less than 15 years ago, but are far more skilled to delver outcomes in the lab, perform analyses and able to deal with change better. They may need to read more but are far more employable.

I don’t disagree with you at all. It’s just frustrating when you here “Why don’t they teach (insert something here) in schools?”

It’s because we can’t fit it in. Something has to come out, but what?

From a primary school perspective and I can only comment about in England, over the past 20 years standards in English and Maths have gone through the roof. This has come at the expense of a broader cultural experience.

I’m no expert but Wales seems to have kept to a more holistic approach. This has been allowed by IMO by a far far less punitive accountability system.
The decline in educational standards... on 17:20 - May 28 with 892 viewsCatullus

The decline in educational standards... on 16:00 - May 28 by Gwyn737

I don’t disagree with you at all. It’s just frustrating when you here “Why don’t they teach (insert something here) in schools?”

It’s because we can’t fit it in. Something has to come out, but what?

From a primary school perspective and I can only comment about in England, over the past 20 years standards in English and Maths have gone through the roof. This has come at the expense of a broader cultural experience.

I’m no expert but Wales seems to have kept to a more holistic approach. This has been allowed by IMO by a far far less punitive accountability system.

HAve a look at the new Welsh curriculum Gwyn, even teachers don't like it!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:30 - May 28 with 891 viewsFireboy2

The decline in educational standards... on 17:38 - May 28 with 881 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 17:20 - May 28 by Catullus

HAve a look at the new Welsh curriculum Gwyn, even teachers don't like it!

I had a look about 18 months ago Catt, when I was thinking about coming home.

It’s so different to the one I’m used to I didn't think my skills were transferable. There’s also a massive ideological difference that I’m not entirely comfortable with so I’m staying put.
The decline in educational standards... on 21:57 - May 28 with 838 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Aye, the misuse of the apostrophe is appalling.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The decline in educational standards... on 22:00 - May 28 with 827 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 21:57 - May 28 by Joe_bradshaw

Aye, the misuse of the apostrophe is appalling.

I didn’t like to comment on the missing question mark either 😉
The decline in educational standards... on 08:22 - May 29 with 784 viewsAjack_Kerouac

The decline in educational standards... on 14:52 - May 28 by Gwyn737

” You’ve asked one person one question on one topic that you think they should know (yet may not have been taught) and dammed an entire education system. ”

Let’s be clear, you weren’t there and so have no way of knowing how that conversation went.

It is impossible to understand the Tudors and the reign of Elizabeth I without understanding the Protestant reformation.
It may be that his lecturer didn’t spend much time on it or asked the class to do further reading which this lad never did...
We shouldn’t be churning out A* to people who can repeat what the lecturer said back to them. That is not true understanding.

From my conversation with him I would have guessed he was a C+

The decline in educational standards... on 10:06 - May 29 with 751 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 08:22 - May 29 by Ajack_Kerouac

” You’ve asked one person one question on one topic that you think they should know (yet may not have been taught) and dammed an entire education system. ”

Let’s be clear, you weren’t there and so have no way of knowing how that conversation went.

It is impossible to understand the Tudors and the reign of Elizabeth I without understanding the Protestant reformation.
It may be that his lecturer didn’t spend much time on it or asked the class to do further reading which this lad never did...
We shouldn’t be churning out A* to people who can repeat what the lecturer said back to them. That is not true understanding.

From my conversation with him I would have guessed he was a C+

Guessed? Sounds about right 👍
The decline in educational standards... on 10:26 - May 29 with 742 viewsfelixstowe_jack

What is really apparent is the decline in English standards and clearly people are no longer taught how to pronounce standards English words

Any.word ending er is now said as a
e.g. Better betta
Three free
Though fought

Even the BBC Continuity announcers are at it.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The decline in educational standards... on 13:36 - May 29 with 700 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 10:26 - May 29 by felixstowe_jack

What is really apparent is the decline in English standards and clearly people are no longer taught how to pronounce standards English words

Any.word ending er is now said as a
e.g. Better betta
Three free
Though fought

Even the BBC Continuity announcers are at it.

I think you’re right but there should be a big improvement coming.

We’re about 8 years in to synthetic phonics being used as the primary method of learning to read. There’s a massive focus on correct pronunciation so we should see improvement in the world of work in a few years time.
The decline in educational standards... on 22:18 - May 29 with 667 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The decline in educational standards... on 13:36 - May 29 by Gwyn737

I think you’re right but there should be a big improvement coming.

We’re about 8 years in to synthetic phonics being used as the primary method of learning to read. There’s a massive focus on correct pronunciation so we should see improvement in the world of work in a few years time.

Hope so, but how come our current English teachers not been correcting pupils? Is it not allowed?

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The decline in educational standards... on 22:32 - May 29 with 648 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 22:18 - May 29 by felixstowe_jack

Hope so, but how come our current English teachers not been correcting pupils? Is it not allowed?

In primary, generally yes (unless it’s accent or dialect related which are usually left alone).

If it’s not right by the time children get to secondary it’s probably too late for some. It shows the power of how families speak at home as well as the current fashionable patter of friends - for many it’s taught but lost.

If you’ve got a 6/7 year old in your family/friends group, ask them what a phoneme, or grapheme or split digraph is. You’d be amazed.

If it’s grammar your looking for, ask them what a fronted adverbial or an expanded noun phrase is. Equally mind blowing.
The decline in educational standards... on 09:46 - May 31 with 575 viewsAjack_Kerouac

This is what ‘educators’ are doing in the United States, brainwashing children with left wing ideology and threatening their colleagues of consequences if they don’t go along with it...

https://rumble.com/vhpl3l-portland-teachers-told-point-blank-teach-critical-race

The decline in educational standards... on 10:14 - May 31 with 567 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 09:46 - May 31 by Ajack_Kerouac

This is what ‘educators’ are doing in the United States, brainwashing children with left wing ideology and threatening their colleagues of consequences if they don’t go along with it...

https://rumble.com/vhpl3l-portland-teachers-told-point-blank-teach-critical-race

They also teach creationism and allow religion to impact on science education.

Thank goodness we’re more sensible this side of the pond.
The decline in educational standards... on 10:17 - May 31 with 566 viewsAjack_Kerouac

The decline in educational standards... on 10:14 - May 31 by Gwyn737

They also teach creationism and allow religion to impact on science education.

Thank goodness we’re more sensible this side of the pond.

You think we’re more sensible?
You think the Left in this country aren’t playing all of the same identity politics games?

How long before our kids T.V. ends up looking like this...

https://thepostmillennial.com/watch-blues-clues-hosts-pride-parade-targeting-chi

The decline in educational standards... on 10:49 - May 31 with 555 viewscontroversial_jack

The decline in educational standards... on 10:17 - May 31 by Ajack_Kerouac

You think we’re more sensible?
You think the Left in this country aren’t playing all of the same identity politics games?

How long before our kids T.V. ends up looking like this...

https://thepostmillennial.com/watch-blues-clues-hosts-pride-parade-targeting-chi

You can't catch homosexuality or transvestism from other people
The decline in educational standards... on 11:33 - May 31 with 552 viewsAjack_Kerouac

The decline in educational standards... on 10:49 - May 31 by controversial_jack

You can't catch homosexuality or transvestism from other people

No, you can be brainwashed to accept the validity of ‘identity politics’ though can’t you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024