Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The decline in educational standards... 09:21 - May 28 with 5816 viewsAjack_Kerouac

Check out this exam paper 13 year old's in Inverness were expected to answer in 1944 and then compare with your 13 year old's History exam papers in what passes for 'Education' today.

Do you agree that standards have declined?
If not what are your reasons?
If you agree that standards have declined what do you put this down to?

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

The decline in educational standards... on 22:37 - Jun 22 with 453 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 22:13 - Jun 22 by Ajack_Kerouac

I find this interesting.

On education you have identified a group that is failing and your solutions are to get that group (white working class to change)....which is the right way of going about the problem imo. How to get them to change and what behaviour they need to change is a deeper question, but we agree that the white working class need to take responsibility for the problem and change something.

Yet on the subject of crime, and the group under performing being of a different skin colour, you have seemed to want to claim it is someone else's responsibility that the low performing group is letting itself down and have seemed reluctant to put the emphasis on that group's need to change....instead it seems to be us (everybody else) who all need to change.

Something to ponder.

I’m pretty sure I’ve not mentioned crime.

However I do agree that taking responsibility is key, as is aspiration.
The decline in educational standards... on 09:17 - Jun 23 with 410 viewsjack_lord

The decline in educational standards... on 22:37 - Jun 22 by Gwyn737

I’m pretty sure I’ve not mentioned crime.

However I do agree that taking responsibility is key, as is aspiration.

Responsibility is key.

Are we talking parents or the child or both? How do they take responsibility(seems a silly question, I know)? Should responsibility be on the national curriculum?

I have got chalk and cheese living in my house. One is definitely going to succeed. Same parents different schools different friends. These benefit from a more stable upbringing. It is either down to their own psychology or circumstantial with different social surrounds at a key time.

Kids in less fortunate areas will have to be far more responsible perhaps.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The decline in educational standards... on 10:07 - Jun 23 with 396 viewsonehunglow

Good discussion this folks.
Keep it up

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The decline in educational standards... on 18:01 - Jun 23 with 348 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 09:17 - Jun 23 by jack_lord

Responsibility is key.

Are we talking parents or the child or both? How do they take responsibility(seems a silly question, I know)? Should responsibility be on the national curriculum?

I have got chalk and cheese living in my house. One is definitely going to succeed. Same parents different schools different friends. These benefit from a more stable upbringing. It is either down to their own psychology or circumstantial with different social surrounds at a key time.

Kids in less fortunate areas will have to be far more responsible perhaps.

I’m talking about parents, mainly.

My point is that that even though your two are different, you as the parent aren’t putting barriers up to their success.

They may be different and their types of success may be different, but I’m sure that you support them by feeding them, making sure they go to school with the right stuff, encourage them to be good people etc.

With all that in place, it’s most definitely the job of the school to get the education side of things right.
The decline in educational standards... on 19:29 - Jun 23 with 333 viewsonehunglow

A child can be as attentive and motivated as is possible but give him a dysfunctional ,uncaring,unloving home and it is all in vain.

Parents kill kids education more than teachers

Many are not assed until they are bothered by police or some other authority

The decline in educational standards... on 21:01 - Jun 23 with 317 viewsjack_lord

The decline in educational standards... on 19:29 - Jun 23 by onehunglow

A child can be as attentive and motivated as is possible but give him a dysfunctional ,uncaring,unloving home and it is all in vain.

Parents kill kids education more than teachers

Many are not assed until they are bothered by police or some other authority

Some kids excel in spite of the above Rich. However, that is not the norm for the broken society. I applaud parents who manage to bring up kids in difficult and challenging circumstances but I know that the environment they are nurtured means they are very susceptible to all those awful things that may surround them.
There is no excuse for unlawful behaviour but do kids get sucked in because they want to fit in or are afraid not to?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The decline in educational standards... on 21:09 - Jun 23 with 312 viewsonehunglow

The decline in educational standards... on 21:01 - Jun 23 by jack_lord

Some kids excel in spite of the above Rich. However, that is not the norm for the broken society. I applaud parents who manage to bring up kids in difficult and challenging circumstances but I know that the environment they are nurtured means they are very susceptible to all those awful things that may surround them.
There is no excuse for unlawful behaviour but do kids get sucked in because they want to fit in or are afraid not to?

Some but not many.

I’ve seen a few myself and what their parent /s is criminal.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024