Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The decline in educational standards... 09:21 - May 28 with 5813 viewsAjack_Kerouac

Check out this exam paper 13 year old's in Inverness were expected to answer in 1944 and then compare with your 13 year old's History exam papers in what passes for 'Education' today.

Do you agree that standards have declined?
If not what are your reasons?
If you agree that standards have declined what do you put this down to?

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

The decline in educational standards... on 09:37 - May 28 with 1984 viewsMrSwerve

Grade inflation is an issue at Universities - I've taught at one for 11 years and even I have noticed the difference in that time. It really is a business now.

The pressure is on lecturers to get X amount of students through, to get £X amount of revenue. If you have a particularly bad cohort, there's no excuse. Then comes in the tendency to make assessments a bit easier...external examiners mitigate this to some degree but it's often a box ticking exercise on their part.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The decline in educational standards... on 09:41 - May 28 with 1974 viewscontroversial_jack

That's higher than today's GCSE standards
[Post edited 28 May 2021 9:42]
The decline in educational standards... on 10:29 - May 28 with 1949 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Similar to my exams at 13 in 1969.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The decline in educational standards... on 10:37 - May 28 with 1937 viewsGwyn737

These type of things crack me up as they're made for clickbait.

The reason the pupils in 1944 were able to anwer those questions (if they were as we have no idea how many passed or what the marks scheme was) is because they were taught it!

If today's 13 year olds had been taught the topic over a couple of terms they could answer it too.

Don't let stories like the one in Mayhill last week colour your thinking; the majority of school aged kids' in this country are blummin' brilliant.
The decline in educational standards... on 10:44 - May 28 with 1924 viewsDr_Winston

The decline in educational standards... on 10:29 - May 28 by Joe_bradshaw

Similar to my exams at 13 in 1969.

And to mine in 1995.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The decline in educational standards... on 10:47 - May 28 with 1928 viewsAjack_Kerouac

The decline in educational standards... on 10:37 - May 28 by Gwyn737

The reason the pupils in 1944 were able to anwer those questions (if they were as we have no idea how many passed or what the marks scheme was) is because they were taught it!

If today's 13 year olds had been taught the topic over a couple of terms they could answer it too.

Don't let stories like the one in Mayhill last week colour your thinking; the majority of school aged kids' in this country are blummin' brilliant.

I've volunteered at a Comprehensive school (briefly - when time allowed) and can confirm that our 13 year olds are not being taught anything like what was on that paper in terms of difficulty.
It is mostly;
- What are the parts of a Norman Castle
- Come up with a poster to recruit people to fight in the Crusades (the ignorance on display in this one was astounding)
- Take these statements (about a historical event) and put them in the right order
etc.

They are not taught History to any meaningful standard anymore, in my opinion.

I recently had a conversation with an 18yr old who had a History 'A' level (A*) and had been accepted at a red brick university...In the course of our conversation it emerged that he had absolutely no idea about the Protestant reformation or the Russian revolution, my son knows more about it and he is 1st year of Comp.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

The decline in educational standards... on 10:48 - May 28 with 1919 viewsonehunglow

and mine in 1966.
Those questions would fry the brains of mot 13 yr olds of today.
Too right ,standards of fallen,especially geography, even tough we have internet and tv everywhere.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The decline in educational standards... on 10:49 - May 28 with 1923 viewsFireboy2

The decline in educational standards... on 10:37 - May 28 by Gwyn737

Agreed gwyn.

There are people in my line of work mostly young uns who cannot spell, they would struggle with my 10 year olds spelling tests, I kid you not.

I blame technology.
Login to get fewer ads

The decline in educational standards... on 10:50 - May 28 with 1920 viewsBoundy

The decline in educational standards... on 10:47 - May 28 by Ajack_Kerouac

I've volunteered at a Comprehensive school (briefly - when time allowed) and can confirm that our 13 year olds are not being taught anything like what was on that paper in terms of difficulty.
It is mostly;
- Come up with a poster to recruit people to fight in the Crusades (the ignorance on display in this one was astounding)
- Take these statements (about a historical event) and put them in the right order
etc.

I recently had a conversation with an 18yr old who had a History 'A' level (A*) and had been accepted at a red brick university...In the course of our conversation it emerged that he had absolutely no idea about the Protestant reformation or the Russian revolution, my son knows more about it and he is 1st year of Comp.

if todays standards are anything to go by then its " education" in name only I'm afraid

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The decline in educational standards... on 11:00 - May 28 with 1910 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 10:49 - May 28 by Fireboy2

Agreed gwyn.

There are people in my line of work mostly young uns who cannot spell, they would struggle with my 10 year olds spelling tests, I kid you not.

I blame technology.

That's a really important point FB.

Up to relatively recently it was normal for those children who were non-academic to go onto life through other learning routes or straight into the work.

How many children aged 13 in Inverness in 1944 were no longer in school to take the test? Does that indicate standards of education were better?

It’s a bit like when PISA tables come out with China near the top, which conveniently ignores the millions in rural areas and not in education.
The decline in educational standards... on 11:06 - May 28 with 1903 viewsGwyn737

It is mostly;
etc.

That's disappointing to hear but I don't know enough enough about the curriculum in Wales to comment.

Down here, naming the features of a Normal Castle appears in Y2 (aged 6 - 7)
The decline in educational standards... on 12:04 - May 28 with 1865 viewsA_Fans_Dad

They have been and still are teaching what to think and not how to think.
The decline in educational standards... on 12:21 - May 28 with 1865 viewsLohengrin

Alright, I’m in my fifties, but I could answer all of that.

Do I get a Dundee Cake at breaktime?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The decline in educational standards... on 12:28 - May 28 with 1850 viewsonehunglow

Going off lightly at a tangent.
One of the builders lads here is going to north Wales camping this weekend.
I asked him as to where and he simply showed me his phone .Asked him which route he was taking and looked at me blank. He simply follows his sat nav.

I took my OS map out and showed him ,pointing out the markings on the map and places to swim in the river. Eyes glassed over.

Our education system has let them down,a whole generation

The decline in educational standards... on 12:30 - May 28 with 1851 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The decline in educational standards... on 12:21 - May 28 by Lohengrin

A bowl of Cullen Skink in Inverness more likely.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The decline in educational standards... on 12:34 - May 28 with 1845 viewsonehunglow

50 really.
Thought you were 70s mun

The decline in educational standards... on 12:41 - May 28 with 1840 viewsGwyn737

And a sticker!
The decline in educational standards... on 12:41 - May 28 with 1837 viewscontroversial_jack

It is mostly;
etc.

The protestant reformation, is a very specific question, which I know nothing about myself. History is a huge topic. When i did my A levels, it was modern history from about 1815 onwards , and was divided into British and European history

History, is a massive topic, it's everything that's happened, so it's not possible to know of everything
The decline in educational standards... on 12:41 - May 28 with 1841 viewsLohengrin

The decline in educational standards... on 12:30 - May 28 by Joe_bradshaw

A bowl of Cullen Skink in Inverness more likely.

Now we’re talking. I have that regularly in work, only Baxter’s in a tin, nothing like the fresh stuff but nice enough all the same.

The decline in educational standards... on 12:42 - May 28 with 1838 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 12:28 - May 28 by onehunglow

Going off lightly at a tangent.
One of the builders lads here is going to north Wales camping this weekend.
I asked him as to where and he simply showed me his phone .Asked him which route he was taking and looked at me blank. He simply follows his sat nav.

I took my OS map out and showed him ,pointing out the markings on the map and places to swim in the river. Eyes glassed over.

Our education system has let them down,a whole generation

Or their school taught them computing
The decline in educational standards... on 12:43 - May 28 with 1834 viewsonehunglow

The decline in educational standards... on 12:42 - May 28 by Gwyn737

But what does the computing teach them?
It's nuts mate.

The decline in educational standards... on 12:44 - May 28 with 1834 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 12:41 - May 28 by controversial_jack

The protestant reformation, is a very specific question, which I know nothing about myself. History is a huge topic. When i did my A levels, it was modern history from about 1815 onwards , and was divided into British and European history

History, is a massive topic, it's everything that's happened, so it's not possible to know of everything

That was my point. Unless you make the argument that school should teach the enitre body of knowledge throughout the hiistory of time, examples like the Inverness one mean nothing.

Could the children who answered those questions answer ones on the Rebecca Riots?

Meaningless clickbait.
The decline in educational standards... on 12:45 - May 28 with 1834 viewsLohengrin

The decline in educational standards... on 12:42 - May 28 by Gwyn737

Fat lot of good that will do him if he’s in the middle of nowhere without a phone signal.

The decline in educational standards... on 12:48 - May 28 with 1815 views73__73

Is anyone surprised. After all look at the standard of teachers these day’s.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

The decline in educational standards... on 12:51 - May 28 with 1830 viewsGwyn737

The decline in educational standards... on 12:45 - May 28 by Lohengrin

Fat lot of good that will do him if he’s in the middle of nowhere without a phone signal.

Shhhh.... You'll start a dicussion on 5G masts!

I was being flippant but here's the relvent bit from the National Curriculum (2013):

- interpret Ordnance Survey maps in the classroom and the field, including using grid
references and scale, topographical and other thematic mapping, and aerial and
satellite photographs

It's a statutory element so would have been taught. Why it was not retained could be for a myriad of reasons.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024