Quantcast
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kirkland Laing RIP 00:05 - Jun 11 with 753 viewsKeithHaynes

Not sure if anyone knows the connections between me and Johnny Melfah, but he has text me tonight to say his mate Kirkland Laing has died. That’s all I have for now. It’s very sad. What a shit day.

Site owner of Swansea Independent, and its probably sunny. Please support our cause here - https://www.patreon.com/Music_Jacks2021
Blog: New staff added to Swansea Independent

Kirkland Laing RIP on 00:11 - Jun 11 with 632 viewsbuilthjack

Young. He even beat the great Roberto Duran. RIP

Poll: Birch - Would you trust him ?

Kirkland Laing RIP on 00:44 - Jun 11 with 617 viewstheloneranger

2 tremendous fights in the early 1980's against Colin Jones for the British and Commonwealth Welterweight titles.

RIP
[Post edited 11 Jun 0:55]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Kirkland Laing RIP on 00:58 - Jun 11 with 600 viewsKeithHaynes

Kirkland Laing RIP on 00:44 - Jun 11 by theloneranger

2 tremendous fights in the early 1980's against Colin Jones for the British and Commonwealth Welterweight titles.

RIP
[Post edited 11 Jun 0:55]

Colin Jones, now there was a boxer.

Site owner of Swansea Independent, and its probably sunny. Please support our cause here - https://www.patreon.com/Music_Jacks2021

Kirkland Laing RIP on 09:25 - Jun 11 with 519 viewsonehunglow

Kirkland Laing RIP on 00:58 - Jun 11 by KeithHaynes

mm.That draw in the desert!

Poll: So,who is dwight.Let's nail this then

Kirkland Laing RIP on 10:58 - Jun 11 with 484 viewsKilkennyjack

So sad to hear this.

RIP Kirkland 🥊

‘Beware of the risen people’ ........🍀🇮🇪 💚 Dim byd grêt am brydain 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺

Kirkland Laing RIP on 16:25 - Jun 11 with 390 viewsLohengrin

Johnny Melfah! Christ! that’s a blast from the past. I can remember him fighting Benn in the mid-80s as Benn was starting out, he may still have been in the army at that stage?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:06 - Jun 11 with 374 viewsmax936

Loved that Boxing Era, his fights with Kirkland were epic, I thought he was gonna win the 2nd fight, he boxed brilliantly, until Colin detonated that left hook, same punch, same round and probably caught him in the same place, cracking fights, Kirkland was a classy boxer and his performance in beating Duran was nothing other than a masterclass, in fact, I've promised myself that I'll watch that fight again over the weekend. 66 is no age

RIP Kirkland Laing.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:07 - Jun 11 with 371 viewsKeithHaynes

Kirkland Laing RIP on 16:25 - Jun 11 by Lohengrin

Johnny Melfah! Christ! that’s a blast from the past. I can remember him fighting Benn in the mid-80s as Benn was starting out, he may still have been in the army at that stage?

Been a mate for years, utter mad man. Was in a well known punk rock band when he was boxing too, that Benn fight, and obviously when he nearly took Herol Graham out in the U.K. ( could have been Euro ) straightener. He was quality, never underestimate a slighter frame when he has the speed of punch Melfah had. I’ll tell him he is remembered.

The Benn Melfah fight was an ABA ?

This post has been edited by an administrator

Login to get fewer ads

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:09 - Jun 11 with 362 viewsLohengrin

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:07 - Jun 11 by KeithHaynes

Been a mate for years, utter mad man. Was in a well known punk rock band when he was boxing too, that Benn fight, and obviously when he nearly took Herol Graham out in the U.K. ( could have been Euro ) straightener. He was quality, never underestimate a slighter frame when he has the speed of punch Melfah had. I’ll tell him he is remembered.

Yes do. I’m sure it would be a nice thing to hear.

Edit: ABA? Yes, I should think it would have been.
[Post edited 11 Jun 17:11]

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:10 - Jun 11 with 361 viewshowenjack

RIP KIrkland . I remember going to the Jones v Curry fight . There were more fights in the auditorium when the lights went on than was on the undercard ! ! Probably had something to do with the fact that the minimum amount of drink you were allowed to buy and take to your seat if I remember rightly was a slab of about 6 x 1 pint plastic bottles.
Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:12 - Jun 11 with 356 viewsKeithHaynes

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:09 - Jun 11 by Lohengrin

Yes do. I’m sure it would be a nice thing to hear.

Edit: ABA? Yes, I should think it would have been.
[Post edited 11 Jun 17:11]

For all his madness he has a heart of gold, some of the things he gets up to would fill a comedy hour easily. I’ve just text him, he will be pleased I can assure you. He always underestimated himself.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:29 - Jun 11 with 347 viewsLohengrin

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:12 - Jun 11 by KeithHaynes

For all his madness he has a heart of gold, some of the things he gets up to would fill a comedy hour easily. I’ve just text him, he will be pleased I can assure you. He always underestimated himself.

What’s he up to these days then?

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:38 - Jun 11 with 338 viewsKeithHaynes

Kirkland Laing RIP on 17:29 - Jun 11 by Lohengrin

What’s he up to these days then?

Some of it isn’t that commendable, but overall he has a gym in Gloucester, but his son is a real problem. It’s a shame, he is though one of the few people I know with a piece of paper that states he is sane. I did point out to him that that’s just like an MOT, only valid on the day of issue. He liked that. He battles mental health, and associated stuff, I’ll leave it there but will drop you a pm.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 18:48 - Jun 11 with 306 viewsshingle

Well I suppose he was a Boxer but not in the technical sense but he was certainly a very good fighter with great ko power, very unlucky not to win a world title as I thought he beat McCrory.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 19:33 - Jun 11 with 296 viewsjack_lord

Didn't Jones have two minders back in the day. Hedley a really tidy guy and a south African who was possibly the most dangerous bloke alive? Laing was one hell of a boxer but Jones was one hell of a puncher.

Lord_Jack BA (Hons) MSc
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Kirkland Laing RIP on 20:24 - Jun 11 with 272 viewsCleddau

Yes Benn beat him in the ABA middleweight final, must have been 85 or more likely 86 as I first seen Benn fight live on Sibson's world title undercard in early 1988.

Often see Melfah walking around Gloucester city centre but he never looks in the best shape. A good value fighter in the late 1980s who fought in good company in a stacked British middleweight division that included the likes of Benn, Eubank, Graham, Douglas, Cook, Christie, Watson etc
His dad was a good pro boxer too.
Kirkland Laing RIP on 20:28 - Jun 11 with 271 viewstheloneranger

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Kirkland Laing RIP on 20:37 - Jun 11 with 260 viewsKeithHaynes

Kirkland Laing RIP on 20:28 - Jun 11 by theloneranger

Top stuff mate.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:02 - Jun 11 with 244 viewsFlashberryjack

Had the pleasurer of Colin's company a couple of times many years ago, great fighter and a really nice bloke.

Sad to here about the premature passing of Laing, I read that he had fallen into the hellhole of drink and drugs when his career came to and end.

Hello

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:06 - Jun 11 with 234 viewsKeithHaynes

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:02 - Jun 11 by Flashberryjack

Had the pleasurer of Colin's company a couple of times many years ago, great fighter and a really nice bloke.

Sad to here about the premature passing of Laing, I read that he had fallen into the hellhole of drink and drugs when his career came to and end.

Fell off a balcony apparently.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:10 - Jun 11 with 226 viewsonehunglow

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:06 - Jun 11 by KeithHaynes

Fell off a balcony apparently.

Given we are more knowledgeble now,whu do people still do drugs that they knew could well kill em./
Why do people still smoke?

Why do people eat shyte

We do not learn as a breed and simply make excuses out of laziness. We are making excuses now for not taking a vaccine.

Poll: So,who is dwight.Let's nail this then

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:13 - Jun 11 with 225 viewsmax936

Kirkland Laing RIP on 19:33 - Jun 11 by jack_lord

Didn't Jones have two minders back in the day. Hedley a really tidy guy and a south African who was possibly the most dangerous bloke alive? Laing was one hell of a boxer but Jones was one hell of a puncher.

His brother Ken used to be with him, I remember him coming to Pat Mathias gym, that was in side street up the east side of the jail one Sunday morning to spar, he sparred with Terry Mathews, Frank McCord and I think Doug James, he was class fair play, he could box as well, I don't get this opinion that some have that he was just a puncher, he was far better than that.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:58 - Jun 11 with 207 viewsCleddau

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:13 - Jun 11 by max936

His brother Ken used to be with him, I remember him coming to Pat Mathias gym, that was in side street up the east side of the jail one Sunday morning to spar, he sparred with Terry Mathews, Frank McCord and I think Doug James, he was class fair play, he could box as well, I don't get this opinion that some have that he was just a puncher, he was far better than that.

Agreed. You need good boxing skills to be an Olympian at age 17 and double ABA champion at 18.
Kirkland Laing RIP on 22:09 - Jun 11 with 197 viewsmax936

Kirkland Laing RIP on 21:58 - Jun 11 by Cleddau

Agreed. You need good boxing skills to be an Olympian at age 17 and double ABA champion at 18.

His fight against Milton McCrory was testament to his boxing skill's cracking fight and I had it a lot closer than the result showed, he was doing well against Curry until that cut, real nasty one.
Lloyd Honeyghan was brilliant in knocking out Curry, pity him and Colin didn't fight, may have been a bit late in Colin's career though, I can't remember now.

Kirkland Laing RIP on 22:27 - Jun 11 with 186 viewsCleddau

Kirkland Laing RIP on 22:09 - Jun 11 by max936

His fight against Milton McCrory was testament to his boxing skill's cracking fight and I had it a lot closer than the result showed, he was doing well against Curry until that cut, real nasty one.
Lloyd Honeyghan was brilliant in knocking out Curry, pity him and Colin didn't fight, may have been a bit late in Colin's career though, I can't remember now.

What hurt Colin the most in both McCrory fights, other than the oppressive conditions, was that championship fights had just been cut from 15 to 12 rounds. I've no doubt he would have won both over the longer distance but thought he did just enough to win them anyway.

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2021