Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric Cars 20:03 - Jul 25 with 11964 viewsonehunglow

OK then,who's gone the whole way.
Are we ready at forecourts nationwide and at repair shops

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Electric Cars on 20:07 - Jul 25 with 3898 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Do you mean are we ready now for the very small amount of EVs on our roads now?
Or do you mean are we ready now for the major expansion that the absolutely dumb Goverment wants in the near future?
Electric Cars on 20:08 - Jul 25 with 3899 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I produce about a tonne of CO2 each year from driving my Honda, I use the train for work. A new electric car takes about 9 tonnes of CO2 to make and then there's the CO2 needed to scrap my car and to generate the electric for a new one. In addition all the plastic and steel etc. that goes into a new car means an electric car is probably worse for the environment if I buy one.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Electric Cars on 20:10 - Jul 25 with 3896 viewsonehunglow

Electric Cars on 20:07 - Jul 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Do you mean are we ready now for the very small amount of EVs on our roads now?
Or do you mean are we ready now for the major expansion that the absolutely dumb Goverment wants in the near future?

Both.
It's the biggest decision we will make outside buying a house.
Personally,Im not ready yet.

Electric Cars on 20:28 - Jul 25 with 3872 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 20:10 - Jul 25 by onehunglow

Both.
It's the biggest decision we will make outside buying a house.
Personally,Im not ready yet.

Currently.
They are more expensive to buy and depending on your mileage may never reach payback over an ICE car.
The Charging infra-structure is still not ready at the current level.

For future levels there are the following issues.
Not enough Chargers.
Not enough Energy for the Chargers.
Not enough Electro-mechanical servicers.
Not enough exotic raw materials, will mean higher prices.
When the Carbon Taxes are added to their electicity price they will be more expensive to run than Diesel engined cars and possibly even Petrol as well.
They are heavier than current ICE cars so more Road wear & more Tyre wear means more Particulate roadside pollution.
Battery recycling is going to be a concern as is the cost of battery replacement.

Apparently great to drive as long as you plan any long distance travel very carefully.
Here is one horror story
https://notrickszone.com/2021/07/21/horror-trip-german-retired-couple-need-26-ho

But they say they still love it.
Electric Cars on 20:34 - Jul 25 with 3866 viewsbritferry

well when they bring in these new 20mph rules for all built-up streets, it'll hardly be worth having a big petrol guzzler

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Electric Cars on 20:36 - Jul 25 with 3864 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 20:28 - Jul 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Currently.
They are more expensive to buy and depending on your mileage may never reach payback over an ICE car.

Not enough Chargers.
When the Carbon Taxes are added to their electicity price they will be more expensive to run than Diesel engined cars and possibly even Petrol as well.
They are heavier than current ICE cars so more Road wear & more Tyre wear means more Particulate roadside pollution.
Battery recycling is going to be a concern as is the cost of battery replacement.

Apparently great to drive as long as you plan any long distance travel very carefully.
Here is one horror story
https://notrickszone.com/2021/07/21/horror-trip-german-retired-couple-need-26-ho

Well whether you me or the dog next door , its the future , fossil fuels have had their time.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Electric Cars on 20:40 - Jul 25 with 3852 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 20:34 - Jul 25 by britferry

well when they bring in these new 20mph rules for all built-up streets, it'll hardly be worth having a big petrol guzzler

So are you going to splash out £15,000 to get one of the very cheapest small EVs?
£15,000 is about 10,000 litres of petrol, enough to keep your old gas guzzler going for quite a while.
Electric Cars on 20:41 - Jul 25 with 3855 viewsFlashberryjack

Electric Cars on 20:36 - Jul 25 by Boundy

Well whether you me or the dog next door , its the future , fossil fuels have had their time.

Where is the power coming from for all the electric vehicles, any ideas ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Login to get fewer ads

Electric Cars on 20:42 - Jul 25 with 3850 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 20:41 - Jul 25 by Flashberryjack

Where is the power coming from for all the electric vehicles, any ideas ?

dare I say renewables , it what ever form ,

incoming

Electric Cars on 20:49 - Jul 25 with 3847 viewsScotia

I'm not ready. They aren't efficient enough yet.

One day they will be and hopefully that day will come soon.
Electric Cars on 20:54 - Jul 25 with 3838 viewsonehunglow

Electric Cars on 20:28 - Jul 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Currently.

Not enough Chargers.

Here is one horror story

Thanks for that.
Daughter has just bought a Peugeot 2008.We're monitoring how it goes.

Electric Cars on 20:55 - Jul 25 with 3837 viewsFlashberryjack

Electric Cars on 20:42 - Jul 25 by Boundy

incoming

When you say renewables, I assume you mean wind farms, solar power and the like.

Hello

Electric Cars on 20:59 - Jul 25 with 3833 viewsjack_lord

Electric Cars on 20:08 - Jul 25 by JACKMANANDBOY

I produce about a tonne of CO2 each year from driving my Honda, I use the train for work. A new electric car takes about 9 tonnes of CO2 to make and then there's the CO2 needed to scrap my car and to generate the electric for a new one. In addition all the plastic and steel etc. that goes into a new car means an electric car is probably worse for the environment if I buy one.

Are you saying that non electric cars dont use any CO2 in production or scrappage?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Electric Cars on 21:20 - Jul 25 with 3817 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 20:42 - Jul 25 by Boundy

incoming

Yes a lot of incoming.
Wind 20GW installed capacity currently 0.38GW, like most of the week.
Demand from 20GW to 30GW, up to 45GW in the Winter and that is before you add all those charging stations.
Sorry, Wind is just not going to cut it.
Solar today from 20GW installed we managed between 2-4GW for a couple of hours either side of midday.
So, Solar won't do it either.
Electric Cars on 21:21 - Jul 25 with 3817 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The abto ekectic cars faction are in action today.

Yrs they are more expensive to buy but prices are falling as mass production of cards and batteries ramp up.

They are considerable easier to maintain, no gearbox, no radiator, no anti freeze, coolant , no cooling system, no starter motor, no alternators, no waste engine oil , no exhaust fumes or exhaust system. No precious metals in exhaust system for criminals to steal

Far cheaper to run per mile .

Mine for example are charged from my two solar panel system and I still put 2MW of power back into the grid which is 4 times the power I used from charging station on motorway journeys.

The motorway charging system is currently being updated and all motorway station will have 4 times as many fast chargers than they currently have by the end of the year.

Less type wear and rubber pollution as acceleration is smooth without a gear box. Also with regeneration braking very little energy is wasted or rubber left on the road by harsh braking in fact on a motorway it is possible to drive 100s without touching the brakes pedal at all.

Yes all is not perfect yet but they said the combustion engine would never replace the horse and cart

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Electric Cars on 21:22 - Jul 25 with 3815 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 20:36 - Jul 25 by Boundy

At what cost may I ask?
Just how much are you prepared to pay for that privelege, an extra £20,000 a year?
Electric Cars on 21:22 - Jul 25 with 3814 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 20:54 - Jul 25 by onehunglow

Thanks for that.
Daughter has just bought a Peugeot 2008.We're monitoring how it goes.

Is that the Electric version?
Electric Cars on 21:25 - Jul 25 with 3813 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 21:21 - Jul 25 by felixstowe_jack

Yrs they are more expensive to buy but prices are falling as mass production of cards and batteries ramp up.

They are considerable easier to maintain, no gearbox, no radiator, no anti freeze, coolant , no cooling system, no starter motor, no alternators, no waste engine oil , no exhaust fumes or exhaust system. No precious metals in exhaust system for criminals to steal

Mine for example are charged from my two solar panel system and I still put 2MW of power back into the grid which is 4 times the power I used from charging station on motorway journeys.

The motorway charging system is currently being updated and all motorway station will have 4 times as many fast chargers than they currently have by the end of the year.

Less type wear and rubber pollution as acceleration is smooth without a gear box. Also with regeneration braking very little energy is wasted or rubber left on the road by harsh braking in fact on a motorway it is possible to drive 100s without touching the brakes pedal at all.

Yes all is not perfect yet but they said the combustion engine would never replace the horse and cart

Tyre wear doesn't just come from none smooth driving.
EVs are far heavier than the equivelent ICE car and therefore will have more tyre wear.
Electric Cars on 21:28 - Jul 25 with 3809 viewsCatullus

Electric Cars on 20:08 - Jul 25 by JACKMANANDBOY

Same for us. With my wife being allowed to do 2 days in the office and 3 from home our mileage has plummeted to less than 5k per year. We buy groceroes online and get them delivered.

My wife thinks her physaical health has improved too as now, instead of walking to the shop and buying chocolate at lunch, we walk the dog in the park! Our son has been walking to school though obviously it's the holidays now.

An electric car would defeat it's purpose in our case.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Electric Cars on 21:33 - Jul 25 with 3795 viewsFlashberryjack

Electric Cars on 21:20 - Jul 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes a lot of incoming.
Demand from 20GW to 30GW, up to 45GW in the Winter and that is before you add all those charging stations.
Solar today from 20GW installed we managed between 2-4GW for a couple of hours either side of midday.

I don't think this electric car lark has been thought through properly, but of course, all the politicians jumping on the "global warming" band wagon, won't be in office when we finally discover that it won't work.

Hello

Electric Cars on 21:39 - Jul 25 with 3791 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Electric Cars on 20:59 - Jul 25 by jack_lord

Are you saying that non electric cars dont use any CO2 in production or scrappage?

No, I'm not saying that, I'm looking at the fully absorbed CO2 case for my car that already exists and I've included a reference to the CO2 needed to scrap it.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Electric Cars on 21:56 - Jul 25 with 3769 viewsmajorraglan

Electric Cars on 21:20 - Jul 25 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes a lot of incoming.

Fair points, especially having regard to the report that was published by the National Grid which expresses concerns re potential power shortages over the next winter. I didn’t realise, but a couple of years ago business were asked/required to cut back on electricity use to prevent outages. It’s crazy that in the UK, a G7 country FFS we are talking about not having enough energy supply.
Electric Cars on 21:56 - Jul 25 with 3767 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 20:55 - Jul 25 by Flashberryjack

When you say renewables, I assume you mean wind farms, solar power and the like.

and battery storage itself. over production or lack of demand means that battery storage systems which feed back into the grid when needed are now adding to the flexibility of supply rather that have turbines generating in the dark with little demand the grid can be toped up when needed .This country has along way to go in terms of the infrastructure needed but its starting as all new technology has to .

Electric Cars on 22:00 - Jul 25 with 3763 viewsmajorraglan

Electric Cars on 21:21 - Jul 25 by felixstowe_jack

Thanks for posting, some interesting information re ownership.
Electric Cars on 22:27 - Jul 25 with 3749 viewsswan85

I have a fully electric. Range is 330 miles.

I know people are concerned about charging and range. But unless you drive a lot of miles each day (eg sales rep), then charging at home is easier than going to a petrol station - I appreciate this isn’t an option for everyone, flats etc. But every 3 pin plug is a petrol station- just charging speed.

When out and about there are good fast chargers which make it nearly as quick as a petrol station. Some chargers are about 250kwh which for a car like a Tesla will charge it empty to full in 10 mins.

It’s just a change in way we think about journey. I find it easy to leave charging overnight on the driveway whilst i sleep. In a normal year under my old car I probably filled up away from 6-7 times a year…..of course electricity generation isn’t wholly green…..but at some point we need to consider using tidal to generate power…..it’s predictable and as an island we could lead the world in developing it….whether the Swansea lagoon or even a barrage across the Severn - which would produce about the same as Hinckley C, with all the costs that has and long term decommissioning etc….
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024