Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric Cars 20:03 - Jul 25 with 11998 viewsonehunglow

OK then,who's gone the whole way.
Are we ready at forecourts nationwide and at repair shops

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Electric Cars on 20:25 - Jul 30 with 1624 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 20:04 - Jul 30 by NeathJack

There are very few electric cars on the market now that wouldn't be suitable for that. My MG ZS EV would manage it no problem at all.

It also at the moment has one of the lowest depreciation rates as well.
Win Win.
Electric Cars on 21:47 - Jul 30 with 1589 viewsswan85

Electric Cars on 03:28 - Jul 30 by ItchySphincter

I really need to bring myself up to date on this topic.....

Starting from early next year I'll be looking at covering approx. 100 miles per day- round trip, almost exclusively motorway miles. Is there an electric car that would be suitable for this kind of commute?

Is there a list of electric cars that anyone could provide, and specify the difference between which are electric and which are hybrid - and which would be more suitable. Is there an electric car that fits in the size class of a 5 series or C-class, or would that have to be hybrid?

Yes there are quite a few cars that would be good for this. The Hyundai ionic has a range of about 180 miles. If you have the ability to charge at home (driveway) then on that sort of range you wouldn’t need to install a charger at a cost of £500.

A standard 3 pin charge will charge at 10 miles per hour of charge, so whilst asleep you would get your 100 miles easy. If you did install a charger they are typically 7 kWh, same as the ones at supermarket. These chargers at 30 miles per hour of charge. With this one you could set the car to charge between midnight and 4 pm, Octopus had a rate of about 5p kWh between midnight and 4am when grid use is low, which would cost about £1.50 to charge up at that range.

But as others have said the government will change this soon when the tax income drops. They can’t put a higher tax on all electricity - that would particularly hit lower incomes, which is unfair. How they will differentiate I am not sure.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2021 20:36]
Electric Cars on 10:04 - Jul 31 with 1531 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 20:23 - Jul 30 by Boundy

Why ?

It will drain the battery
Electric Cars on 10:19 - Jul 31 with 1525 viewsonehunglow

Electric Cars on 21:47 - Jul 30 by swan85

Yes there are quite a few cars that would be good for this. The Hyundai ionic has a range of about 180 miles. If you have the ability to charge at home (driveway) then on that sort of range you wouldn’t need to install a charger at a cost of £500.

A standard 3 pin charge will charge at 10 miles per hour of charge, so whilst asleep you would get your 100 miles easy. If you did install a charger they are typically 7 kWh, same as the ones at supermarket. These chargers at 30 miles per hour of charge. With this one you could set the car to charge between midnight and 4 pm, Octopus had a rate of about 5p kWh between midnight and 4am when grid use is low, which would cost about £1.50 to charge up at that range.

But as others have said the government will change this soon when the tax income drops. They can’t put a higher tax on all electricity - that would particularly hit lower incomes, which is unfair. How they will differentiate I am not sure.

Very interesting pot.
Tha nks

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Electric Cars on 19:50 - Jul 31 with 1468 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 10:04 - Jul 31 by controversial_jack

It will drain the battery

Thank you for that well thought out and reasoned response , if I may counter with so does driving the car along with putting the lights on etc ,in fact anything which draws a current from the battery .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Electric Cars on 19:56 - Jul 31 with 1465 viewsDJack

I've not read the paper but I expect it will be of great interest to those discussing the merits.

https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/Global-LCA-passenger-cars-j

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Electric Cars on 08:28 - Aug 1 with 1402 viewsItchySphincter

Electric Cars on 21:47 - Jul 30 by swan85

Thank you.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Electric Cars on 16:47 - Aug 1 with 1342 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 19:50 - Jul 31 by Boundy

Thank you for that well thought out and reasoned response , if I may counter with so does driving the car along with putting the lights on etc ,in fact anything which draws a current from the battery .

Then why didn't you understand first time. Yes, batteries will be less efficient then too
Login to get fewer ads

Electric Cars on 17:59 - Aug 1 with 1329 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 19:50 - Jul 31 by Boundy

Using electrical devices in a petrol engine car means the engine has to worker harder to turn the alternator to produce more electrical power and keep the battery topped up. You use more petrol.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Electric Cars on 18:51 - Aug 1 with 1317 viewsWhiterockin

Electric Cars on 17:59 - Aug 1 by felixstowe_jack

Using electrical devices in a petrol engine car means the engine has to worker harder to turn the alternator to produce more electrical power and keep the battery topped up. You use more petrol.

What percentage range drop do you get in winter with heater, lights ect on?
Electric Cars on 19:53 - Aug 1 with 1299 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 16:47 - Aug 1 by controversial_jack

Then why didn't you understand first time. Yes, batteries will be less efficient then too

I understand perfectly well I just wanted you to reply with reasoned response which you failed to deliver , battery efficiency is based on how it manages to control what draws current and its capability to store and the times it can be recharged , technology is keeping pace with demand and most manufacturers provide a five to eight-year warranty on their battery.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Electric Cars on 22:32 - Aug 1 with 1273 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 19:53 - Aug 1 by Boundy

I understand perfectly well I just wanted you to reply with reasoned response which you failed to deliver , battery efficiency is based on how it manages to control what draws current and its capability to store and the times it can be recharged , technology is keeping pace with demand and most manufacturers provide a five to eight-year warranty on their battery.

It was a reasonable response. If you use A/C or heater, and headlights, it will drain the battery quickly. This will effect the range of the car and will then require more frequent charging. It's not rocket science and I didn't infer that it was, just a blanket statement on a forum, what else do you expect?
Electric Cars on 21:13 - Aug 2 with 1197 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

Electric Cars on 18:51 - Aug 1 by Whiterockin

What percentage range drop do you get in winter with heater, lights ect on?

They do have standard 24v batteries as well which take care of the all the electrics. So please don't worry about turning the lights on, using the radio or tooting above.

Granted the AC and heating does pinch a few miles of range but certainly nothing to worry about.

My driving style has certainly changed but that can't be a bad thing.
Electric Cars on 21:43 - Aug 2 with 1184 viewsWhiterockin

Thank you for the reply.
Electric Cars on 22:33 - Aug 2 with 1167 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 21:13 - Aug 2 by SingUpNorthBank84

They do have standard 24v batteries as well which take care of the all the electrics. So please don't worry about turning the lights on, using the radio or tooting above.

Granted the AC and heating does pinch a few miles of range but certainly nothing to worry about.

My driving style has certainly changed but that can't be a bad thing.

I'm no expert, but A/C can't run off 24v, nor would an electric heater, it would have to be much higher. A/C is basically a fridge.
Electric Cars on 08:00 - Aug 3 with 1118 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 22:33 - Aug 2 by controversial_jack

I'm no expert, but A/C can't run off 24v, nor would an electric heater, it would have to be much higher. A/C is basically a fridge.

EV have a standard 12v as they use the same electrical component as petrol engine cars. Lights, radio, windscreen wipers sat navs etc. Even in a petrol engine car the only source of electrical power is the alternator which is driven by the engine so even the A/C is a 12 volt system.

Electric Cars on 11:50 - Aug 3 with 1082 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 08:00 - Aug 3 by felixstowe_jack

EV have a standard 12v as they use the same electrical component as petrol engine cars. Lights, radio, windscreen wipers sat navs etc. Even in a petrol engine car the only source of electrical power is the alternator which is driven by the engine so even the A/C is a 12 volt system.

Alternators run at a higher voltage than 12v. EV vehicles won't have alternators.You cannot run A/C or heaters off low voltage,but i'm not an electrician
Electric Cars on 10:02 - Aug 4 with 1001 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 11:50 - Aug 3 by controversial_jack

Alternators run at a higher voltage than 12v. EV vehicles won't have alternators.You cannot run A/C or heaters off low voltage,but i'm not an electrician

Most car alternators produce a voltage of 13.8 to 14.2 at idle with all electrical lights and accessories of. The voltage is slightly higher than the battery so it can charge the battery and cope with the load when electrical accessories are used.

The A/C compressor in a petrol car is driven by a pully belt from the engine.

Electric Cars on 13:02 - Aug 4 with 981 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 10:02 - Aug 4 by felixstowe_jack

Most car alternators produce a voltage of 13.8 to 14.2 at idle with all electrical lights and accessories of. The voltage is slightly higher than the battery so it can charge the battery and cope with the load when electrical accessories are used.

The A/C compressor in a petrol car is driven by a pully belt from the engine.

A/C won't have that in a EV , it will have to run off the battery or so i have read
Electric Cars on 16:41 - Aug 4 with 959 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 13:02 - Aug 4 by controversial_jack

A/C won't have that in a EV , it will have to run off the battery or so i have read

Yes of course A/C and heating in EV run via a heat pump. For heating it sucks in air from the outside compress it and uses the heat produced to heat car a bit like a fridge in reverse.

Electric Cars on 22:17 - Aug 4 with 910 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 16:41 - Aug 4 by felixstowe_jack

Yes of course A/C and heating in EV run via a heat pump. For heating it sucks in air from the outside compress it and uses the heat produced to heat car a bit like a fridge in reverse.

No they don't. Heating will have an electric heater and A/C won't run off a heat pump it will run off a compressor at a high voltage just like a fridge. A fridge doesn't suck in air from outside, it's a closed circuit, but it will cool the air coming in. All the power will have to come from the batteries somehow.
Electric Cars on 22:39 - Aug 4 with 908 viewsswan85

My experience of my car so far, the aircon is not a huge drain on range. Going fast does have more of an effect, plus I have noticed in wet weather, with wipers and lights and demister on this has more of an effect as well.
Electric Cars on 03:03 - Aug 5 with 882 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 22:17 - Aug 4 by controversial_jack

No they don't. Heating will have an electric heater and A/C won't run off a heat pump it will run off a compressor at a high voltage just like a fridge. A fridge doesn't suck in air from outside, it's a closed circuit, but it will cool the air coming in. All the power will have to come from the batteries somehow.

Of course just like a petrol vehicle all a/c comes from petrol if you choose a/c in an ev it comes from battery or you could just choose to use fan to blow air instead .

How often does anyone actually need to use A/c in the British climate.

Electric Cars on 08:22 - Aug 5 with 850 viewsWhiterockin

Electric Cars on 03:03 - Aug 5 by felixstowe_jack

Of course just like a petrol vehicle all a/c comes from petrol if you choose a/c in an ev it comes from battery or you could just choose to use fan to blow air instead .

How often does anyone actually need to use A/c in the British climate.

The climate control on my car has the ac cutting in quite often, particularly for front screen demist.
Electric Cars on 08:42 - Aug 5 with 841 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric Cars on 08:22 - Aug 5 by Whiterockin

The climate control on my car has the ac cutting in quite often, particularly for front screen demist.

I just use my fan to clear front windscreen.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024