Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The old days v the current day 23:12 - Aug 22 with 3814 viewsKeithHaynes

Views ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The old days v the current day on 23:37 - Aug 22 with 2333 viewsbuilthjack

Times change.
Loved the old days, proper working class mans game. Looking back, wouldn't want 70s violence now.
But the Vetch was something very special.
I remember going in the union cafe and players turning up there after training. Very approachable, chatty, then they would be in the bookies.
Enjoy today's game, but hate the foreign ownership model. Too much money , players earning silly money.
More to follow.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The old days v the current day on 23:49 - Aug 22 with 2320 viewsdobjack2

Midnight Flyers to the North East and East Anglia, FA Cup games to non-league grounds in London where you didn’t know if West Ham and/or Chelsea goons were going to turn up, Spencer Works in the Welsh Cup, sharing banks in places like Gillingham and Darlington, the possibility of getting your head kicked in anywhere away if you didn’t have your wits about you and mates to watch each other’s backs.

Then you had teams that came mob handed to the Vetch such as our neighbours, Leeds, Stoke, Middlesboro arguably the heaviest mob I can remember, West Ham, Chelsea and Portsmouth in the guise of Bognor Regis in the FA Cup that caught out everyone.

How do you explain the toilets on the North Bank when it rained? Not just that you needed to be wearing DM’s but the smell.

Try explaining how it was to youngsters today and they won’t understand it let alone believe what went on.
The old days v the current day on 23:52 - Aug 22 with 2317 viewsKeithHaynes

The old days v the current day on 23:49 - Aug 22 by dobjack2

Midnight Flyers to the North East and East Anglia, FA Cup games to non-league grounds in London where you didn’t know if West Ham and/or Chelsea goons were going to turn up, Spencer Works in the Welsh Cup, sharing banks in places like Gillingham and Darlington, the possibility of getting your head kicked in anywhere away if you didn’t have your wits about you and mates to watch each other’s backs.

Then you had teams that came mob handed to the Vetch such as our neighbours, Leeds, Stoke, Middlesboro arguably the heaviest mob I can remember, West Ham, Chelsea and Portsmouth in the guise of Bognor Regis in the FA Cup that caught out everyone.

How do you explain the toilets on the North Bank when it rained? Not just that you needed to be wearing DM’s but the smell.

Try explaining how it was to youngsters today and they won’t understand it let alone believe what went on.

Boro were the finest 👍

The old days v the current day on 23:53 - Aug 22 with 2317 viewsWalterBoyd

Going to Havant and Waterlooville away midweek, f.a. cup, already excited about hopefully winning and going to Liverpool away next round, did not go to plan.

Late 90's , early 2000's - Michael Howard ( not playing that night ) at the Vetch making and serving me a cup of tea in the South Stand. One man and his dog were there.
The old days v the current day on 16:33 - Aug 23 with 2099 views1983

I Loved the Vetch Field days and sometimes I still can't believe it's gone.
So so many stories that could never happen now in a modern day world of snow flakes, all seater stadiums ,social media and CCTV everywhere. Where we play now still doesn't feel like home and I mostly go to away matches than home matches now as that's when I feel like its Swansea City and see some old vetch field faces more.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 11:11]

The old days v the current day on 16:35 - Aug 23 with 2088 viewsonehunglow

Looking back is a waste of time and sucks the life of the future.
The Vetch was a dump but it was our dump.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The old days v the current day on 17:10 - Aug 23 with 2065 views1983

The old days v the current day on 16:35 - Aug 23 by onehunglow

Yeah whatever

The old days v the current day on 18:52 - Aug 23 with 1988 viewsswan65split

In my younger days i was the time I went to more away games , before work/shifts and then married life took priority too trips away on a cold smelly bus and coming back early mornings after ie a 4-0 hammering.

My claim to fame is the away trip to Doncaster in the cup before we played Arsenal, Can never forget that weekend, Leaving Swansea at midnight Friday, no heating, few Motorways, loved it, singing, the older ones shouting shut up.

I wonder if anyone else here was on that trip?
Login to get fewer ads

The old days v the current day on 19:14 - Aug 23 with 1961 views1983

I remember the Bognor Regis game a strange game that was I don't think anyone put the Portsmouth connection together as 100's of Pompey fans turned up as they did regularly away in the 1980's

The old days v the current day on 19:45 - Aug 23 with 1934 viewsonehunglow

The old days v the current day on 17:10 - Aug 23 by 1983

Yeah whatever

What do you mean "whatever".
Cast aside your agenda and comment accordingly.

The Vetch was appalling as it was dangerous (hence blocked off north bank) and facilitie were third world. If you are old enough,you know it is true so do not try to kid others on here who were too young for the Vetch.

I started going in 1958 ,Champ and seen it all. Ive even got the Ugly Duckling advertising material in my attic.

The Lib/Swansea .com is a lovely stadium a most away fans will tell you.

It pays to be honest in life if only for your own sanity.

The old days v the current day on 20:37 - Aug 23 with 1911 viewsJack59

The old days v the current day on 18:52 - Aug 23 by swan65split

In my younger days i was the time I went to more away games , before work/shifts and then married life took priority too trips away on a cold smelly bus and coming back early mornings after ie a 4-0 hammering.

My claim to fame is the away trip to Doncaster in the cup before we played Arsenal, Can never forget that weekend, Leaving Swansea at midnight Friday, no heating, few Motorways, loved it, singing, the older ones shouting shut up.

I wonder if anyone else here was on that trip?

I was on the Doncaster trip, we were all stood about in line with the edge of the penalty. area. Possibly only a hundred or two of us.
I remember a Doncaster girl wearing only a football shirt, she stood in the middle of us and became very tactile with ai least four or five lucky Swans fans. I tried my best to get within range, but the crush was almost as bad as it was for the Arsenal Cup game.
The old days v the current day on 21:40 - Aug 23 with 1849 viewsCatullus

The old days v the current day on 19:45 - Aug 23 by onehunglow

What do you mean "whatever".
Cast aside your agenda and comment accordingly.

The Vetch was appalling as it was dangerous (hence blocked off north bank) and facilitie were third world. If you are old enough,you know it is true so do not try to kid others on here who were too young for the Vetch.

I started going in 1958 ,Champ and seen it all. Ive even got the Ugly Duckling advertising material in my attic.

The Lib/Swansea .com is a lovely stadium a most away fans will tell you.

It pays to be honest in life if only for your own sanity.

Nobody can argue that we needed to move and the Liberty/Swansea.com is a far better stadium in most respects. It doesn't mean we can't miss the old girl and just cast aside the many, many wonderful memories.

My memories of beig there as a fan, of working there, they are cherished. Just as cherished are the memories of friends we used to go there with who are no longer with us and the pubs we all used to meet in that are now gone too. The Clarence, the Gari.

I take my son to the Lib/Swan.com but I tell him what it was like at the Vetch. I've told him of darts and bananas being thrown, of people on the North bank taking a pee where they stood, of a packed North bank and us scoring could mean you ending up 20 ft from where you were standing, of the hairs on your neck standing up when the North bank was in full voice, of pitch invasions and charging at the away fans. He didn't believe it until I found evidence on youtube.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The old days v the current day on 21:48 - Aug 23 with 1838 viewsOldjack

The old days v the current day on 16:35 - Aug 23 by onehunglow

It ended up as a dump ,but in it's heyday and a packed ground it was a special place

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

The old days v the current day on 22:55 - Aug 23 with 1810 viewsKeithHaynes

The old days v the current day on 21:48 - Aug 23 by Oldjack

It ended up as a dump ,but in it's heyday and a packed ground it was a special place

Mates who support other clubs hated going to the vetch, now they love going to the new (ish) stadium.

The old days v the current day on 23:04 - Aug 23 with 1803 viewsBadlands

Not way back but I remember playing Rhyl in the F A Cup (71) and their fans decided to attack the North Bank, tried to get on the pitch then hit on the police dragging them into the East Stand. North Bank to the rescue straight into the East dragging police out to safety (& having a bit if a ruck) then on the way out getting arrested or kicked out by the same police!

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The old days v the current day on 23:07 - Aug 23 with 1801 viewsCatullus

The old days v the current day on 22:55 - Aug 23 by KeithHaynes

Mates who support other clubs hated going to the vetch, now they love going to the new (ish) stadium.

It's a much easier ride now because the new all seater stadia just aren't intimidating like the terraces were.

There just ins't the same noise level, the aggression or the crowd surges that could get a players attention and unnerve them. We'd all seen playerd down the Vetch baulk at going close to the North bank.
In all seater stadia we see players going over to the singing sections and throw attitude back.

It's probably better this way but still, we enjoyed intimidating the oppo.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The old days v the current day on 23:07 - Aug 23 with 1800 viewsAguycalledJack

Was that the game a police dog was thrown over the fence onto the pitch?
The old days v the current day on 23:35 - Aug 23 with 1785 viewsKeithHaynes

The old days v the current day on 23:04 - Aug 23 by Badlands

Not way back but I remember playing Rhyl in the F A Cup (71) and their fans decided to attack the North Bank, tried to get on the pitch then hit on the police dragging them into the East Stand. North Bank to the rescue straight into the East dragging police out to safety (& having a bit if a ruck) then on the way out getting arrested or kicked out by the same police!

I have some pictures of that somewhere.

The old days v the current day on 07:43 - Aug 24 with 1711 viewsDr_Winston

The old days v the current day on 23:07 - Aug 23 by Catullus

It's a much easier ride now because the new all seater stadia just aren't intimidating like the terraces were.

There just ins't the same noise level, the aggression or the crowd surges that could get a players attention and unnerve them. We'd all seen playerd down the Vetch baulk at going close to the North bank.
In all seater stadia we see players going over to the singing sections and throw attitude back.

It's probably better this way but still, we enjoyed intimidating the oppo.

No atmosphere I ever experienced at the Vetch compared to the playoff semi against Forest at WR.

If all seaters are the price we pay to end the dart/banana throwing, then it's a price football should pay gladly.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The old days v the current day on 08:40 - Aug 24 with 1662 viewsDr_Parnassus

The Liberty may be louder due to sheer number but it’s all very polite and orderly. I was always disappointed with the Liberty when I lived in the U.K. No real energy or spontaneity, just the same old songs that die out as quick as they start.

The Vetch was raw and I would say louder than the Liberty pound for pound. I remember “Johnny Hollins Barmy Army” song started in the first minute and didn’t finish until half time, unheard of now. The crowd was more at one back then, or certainly on the North Bank it was anyway.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

The old days v the current day on 09:33 - Aug 24 with 1623 viewsFireboy2

The old days v the current day on 08:40 - Aug 24 by Dr_Parnassus

The Liberty may be louder due to sheer number but it’s all very polite and orderly. I was always disappointed with the Liberty when I lived in the U.K. No real energy or spontaneity, just the same old songs that die out as quick as they start.

The Vetch was raw and I would say louder than the Liberty pound for pound. I remember “Johnny Hollins Barmy Army” song started in the first minute and didn’t finish until half time, unheard of now. The crowd was more at one back then, or certainly on the North Bank it was anyway.

The North Bank was probably the biggest reason why my love for the swans is so great.

I try to explain it to my eldest in words and via YouTube but unfortunately he will never know how good it felt, you had to be there.

If he had his love for the swans would go through the roof.
The old days v the current day on 09:37 - Aug 24 with 1613 viewsonehunglow

The old days v the current day on 09:33 - Aug 24 by Fireboy2

The North Bank was probably the biggest reason why my love for the swans is so great.

I try to explain it to my eldest in words and via YouTube but unfortunately he will never know how good it felt, you had to be there.

As I say,it was Our dump.

The old days v the current day on 09:48 - Aug 24 with 1608 viewspencoedjack

The old days v the current day on 09:33 - Aug 24 by Fireboy2

I agree, also away trips in a transit van to some Northern shitehole.

Great memories.
The old days v the current day on 10:14 - Aug 24 with 1591 viewsswan65split

The old days v the current day on 23:04 - Aug 23 by Badlands

6-0 the game of the Millington brothers.
The old days v the current day on 10:20 - Aug 24 with 1585 viewsswan65split

The old days v the current day on 20:37 - Aug 23 by Jack59

I was on the Doncaster trip, we were all stood about in line with the edge of the penalty. area. Possibly only a hundred or two of us.
I remember a Doncaster girl wearing only a football shirt, she stood in the middle of us and became very tactile with ai least four or five lucky Swans fans. I tried my best to get within range, but the crush was almost as bad as it was for the Arsenal Cup game.

I think about 8-10 buses made the trip, I remember something about the girl, but I was on the edge of the group, story of my life missing outon some things, LoL

I remember early on the Saturday morning a line of buses parked on a Motorway near Donny , crisp and sunny loads out having that first wee of the day on the hard shoulder.

Biggest pitch in the league at the time, I can vouch for that as we ran across at the end to the stand it took an age
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024