Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Zealand consider changing their name 15:21 - Aug 26 with 2278 viewsDr_Parnassus

This is the kind of thing that makes me roll my eyes and I think it’s this over analysing of literally everything that people get tired of.

New Zealand football team are called the All Whites, because they play in an all white kit. Just as the All Blacks are called that for their all black strip.

However after a review the football team is considering renaming themselves.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/b6ebea25-3ca8-4420-b18e-

It has nothing to do with race, it’s a kit colour. Since when has the color or word ‘white’ been offensive?

All the common sense has drained from this planet recently.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:42 - Aug 26 with 1905 viewsonehunglow

I caught this too.

Why not "the Reds" ,clearly racial overtone there and the "Blues" music is offensive to some.

Yellow ;now there's a dangerous word and as for Brown-what are Cleveland going to do.

None of this improves the lot of those discriminated against.It is a perfect example of how white people are trying to purge the shame of abusing people of colour and their nations over countless centuries because of pure guilt. Nothing more.It is ,to me,highly offensive to people of colour .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:45 - Aug 26 with 1902 viewsBadlands

It's up to them.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:52 - Aug 26 with 1891 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:45 - Aug 26 by Badlands

It's up to them.

Not quite, it’s up to “some” of them. A select few will be making the decision on behalf of a nation of 5 million to erase 40 years of history, to fall in line with a society trying to purge the word “white” from anything, even if it’s in relation to the colour of a kit.

Utterly bonkers.

I’m sure you wouldn’t have the same attitude of “it’s up to them” if our owners decided to turn our kit blue and call us the blue tits as they wanted to remove the colour and connotations of white things from our club.

It would be equally ludicrous.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 16:54]

New Zealand consider changing their name on 17:08 - Aug 26 with 1863 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Has Jacinda let anymore billionaires buy their way through the strict lockdown recently?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

New Zealand consider changing their name on 17:48 - Aug 26 with 1835 viewsReslovenSwan1

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:52 - Aug 26 by Dr_Parnassus

Not quite, it’s up to “some” of them. A select few will be making the decision on behalf of a nation of 5 million to erase 40 years of history, to fall in line with a society trying to purge the word “white” from anything, even if it’s in relation to the colour of a kit.

Utterly bonkers.

I’m sure you wouldn’t have the same attitude of “it’s up to them” if our owners decided to turn our kit blue and call us the blue tits as they wanted to remove the colour and connotations of white things from our club.

Rugby Union in Wales and UK and Ireland has a shameful history in my lifetime.

The 1974 Lions were indeed the "all whites". It was an "All white" team from the UK and Ireland playing an "all white" team from South Africa. No back players were chosen by the Lions perhaps out of convenience who knows. Black fans were confined to separate parts of the stadium.

The Lions 1974 team and administrators lets sport down by playing in the discriminatory tour. Cardiff Rugby club also toured around 1971 but finding data on this is not easy. New Zealand teams probably also toured but this needs research. Moaris would not have been welcome. T

Considering 40 years of history is not quite good enough. 50 years is better.

Wise sage since Toshack era

New Zealand consider changing their name on 17:51 - Aug 26 with 1829 viewsReslovenSwan1

New Zealand consider changing their name on 17:48 - Aug 26 by ReslovenSwan1

The 1974 Lions were indeed the "all whites". It was an "All white" team from the UK and Ireland playing an "all white" team from South Africa. No back players were chosen by the Lions perhaps out of convenience who knows. Black fans were confined to separate parts of the stadium.

The Lions 1974 team and administrators lets sport down by playing in the discriminatory tour. Cardiff Rugby club also toured around 1971 but finding data on this is not easy. New Zealand teams probably also toured but this needs research. Moaris would not have been welcome. T

From Wiki

""In 1976, African nations demanded that New Zealand be suspended by the IOC for continued contacts with South Africa, including a tour by the New Zealand national rugby union team. When the IOC refused, the African teams withdrew from the games.[9] This contributed to the Gleneagles Agreement being adopted by the Commonwealth in 1977.[10]

The IOC adopted a declaration against "apartheid in sport" on 21 June 1988, for the total isolation of apartheid sport.[3]""

New Zealand consider changing their name on 18:21 - Aug 26 with 1812 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 17:48 - Aug 26 by ReslovenSwan1

This is football not rugby union.

The name has nothing to do with race; it’s their kit.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 19:57 - Aug 26 with 1722 viewsBadlands

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:52 - Aug 26 by Dr_Parnassus

Utterly bonkers.

OK, I'll put it another way.
Sod all to do with us.
And, it isn't just a few decision makers it comes after decades of protest and campaigning from the original inhabitants.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

New Zealand consider changing their name on 20:59 - Aug 26 with 1668 viewspencoedjack

New Zealand consider changing their name on 18:21 - Aug 26 by Dr_Parnassus

This is football not rugby union.

The name has nothing to do with race; it’s their kit.

Best leave the snowflakes alone fella.
New Zealand consider changing their name on 01:47 - Aug 27 with 1569 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 19:57 - Aug 26 by Badlands

OK, I'll put it another way.
Sod all to do with us.
And, it isn't just a few decision makers it comes after decades of protest and campaigning from the original inhabitants.

What on earth are you talking about? You have literally just made that up.

I live in this region, have done for years, everyone is well aware why they are called the all whites just as everyone in England is aware that Chelsea are called the blues for their kit rather than their musical taste.

You genuinely think for decades the Maoris have been protesting the nickname for the NZ soccer team named after the colour of its kit? Got a link to these imaginary protests? The reaction has largely been how ridiculous it is

The truth is, nobody cared until a review this week and they thought “hmmm, white = bad… let’s get rid”.

To put this into context too, the cricket team is called the “black caps” and the basketball team is called “the tall blacks”. All based on kit colour, zero to do with skin colour.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 2:34]

New Zealand consider changing their name on 02:33 - Aug 27 with 1541 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 20:59 - Aug 26 by pencoedjack

Just bonkers.

I’d love to know if these people truly believe what they say/type or whether they are just toeing and ever more ridiculous party line society is setting.

Wimbledon will be next as it insists on white playing attire with very limited colour. It will be accused of racism and “blocking out colour and diversity” or some nonsense, you watch. Heard it here first.

It’s insatiable.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 06:56 - Aug 27 with 1492 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I see one of our great universities has had to put up a notice explaining the "whiteness" of its plaster cast collection to avoid the "misleading impression" that Roman and Greek society was devoid of diversity.
The simple explanation is plaster casts are made of gypsum which is a white material . No racist tones at all.

No doubt some woke cambridge called for this. Makes you wonder how stupid some students are.

Wonder if cambridge will put up a notice that Greek and Romans did not have blank eyes.

Next I guess the British museum will have to put on signs on the Benin bronzes explaining why they are all brown.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 09:19 - Aug 27 with 1440 viewsonehunglow

It is so easy for people from an overwhelmingly white area to appear so concerned about the plight of those seen to have had a hard time through the greed of the White Man. It is comforting for them. Nobody is threatened in a narrow Welsh valley by mass immigration or a change in culture.
It is purely another example of massaging white consciences.

It is more disrespectful and racist than anything.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 10:25 - Aug 27 with 1408 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 09:19 - Aug 27 by onehunglow

It is so easy for people from an overwhelmingly white area to appear so concerned about the plight of those seen to have had a hard time through the greed of the White Man. It is comforting for them. Nobody is threatened in a narrow Welsh valley by mass immigration or a change in culture.
It is purely another example of massaging white consciences.

It is more disrespectful and racist than anything.

Agreed, I see it as extremely patronising.

I use the example of voter ID laws again, white liberals thinking they are doing good by being completely out of touch, completely patronising and ironically... racist.

I love the end of this video when he goes to Harlem to ask the black people there what they thought of these peoples comments. Complete bemusement is an understatement

Just embarrassing

[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 10:26]

New Zealand consider changing their name on 11:25 - Aug 27 with 1366 viewsonehunglow

It fills me with disgust to see often white privately educated people preaching to the rest of us Plebs.

I'm afraid gesture aint gonna change anything and until we accept the fact we prefer "own" and live with it. Prefering your "own" doesn't mean disciminating against others rather it's a case of not allowing preference to discriminate.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 12:02 - Aug 27 with 1354 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 11:25 - Aug 27 by onehunglow

It fills me with disgust to see often white privately educated people preaching to the rest of us Plebs.

I'm afraid gesture aint gonna change anything and until we accept the fact we prefer "own" and live with it. Prefering your "own" doesn't mean disciminating against others rather it's a case of not allowing preference to discriminate.

I genuinely couldn't give a damn what someone looks like or where they are from. This insistence to focus on it in every aspect of life, I find spectacularly draining.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 13:28 - Aug 27 with 1319 viewsReslovenSwan1

New Zealand consider changing their name on 20:59 - Aug 26 by pencoedjack

More silly name calling by a man or woman brandishing a flag. You have to see things through new Zealand Maori eyes. In UK we were a white skinned populace who saw immigration of dark skinned peoples. New Zealand had the reverse.

From Wiki 1970 ytour.
"For the All Blacks it was a comeback 10 years after the tour of 1960 when the New Zealand rugby union continued to exclude Maori and non-white players from the team in order to accommodate the South African apartheid laws.

The New Zealand Rugby Union refused any other tours for the successive 10 years until New Zealand players of all backgrounds were given the status of "Honorary Whites" allowing them to participate in the 1970 tour under apartheid laws.""

New Zealand All Blacks sent "All white skined" players to South Africa excluding the original inhabitants of New Zealand from their own team before 1970. In view of this it is entirely sensible to stop calling the national team the "All Whites". It is not snowflake culture.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 13:42 - Aug 27 with 1310 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 13:28 - Aug 27 by ReslovenSwan1

More silly name calling by a man or woman brandishing a flag. You have to see things through new Zealand Maori eyes. In UK we were a white skinned populace who saw immigration of dark skinned peoples. New Zealand had the reverse.

From Wiki 1970 ytour.
"For the All Blacks it was a comeback 10 years after the tour of 1960 when the New Zealand rugby union continued to exclude Maori and non-white players from the team in order to accommodate the South African apartheid laws.

The New Zealand Rugby Union refused any other tours for the successive 10 years until New Zealand players of all backgrounds were given the status of "Honorary Whites" allowing them to participate in the 1970 tour under apartheid laws.""

New Zealand All Blacks sent "All white skined" players to South Africa excluding the original inhabitants of New Zealand from their own team before 1970. In view of this it is entirely sensible to stop calling the national team the "All Whites". It is not snowflake culture.

You are saying that as if you believe the Maoris have complained about the nickname about their football teams white kit which was coined in the 1980's? It has nothing to do with rugby, nothing to do with skin.

You do realise they haven't and never have complained don't you? Nobody has.

This is a review by a panel of white people justifying their existence by looking for non issues. The reaction is one of bemusement by everyone... except a few white TV personalities again looking for some virtue points.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 13:48]

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:10 - Aug 27 with 1286 viewsLohengrin

New Zealand consider changing their name on 01:47 - Aug 27 by Dr_Parnassus

What on earth are you talking about? You have literally just made that up.

I live in this region, have done for years, everyone is well aware why they are called the all whites just as everyone in England is aware that Chelsea are called the blues for their kit rather than their musical taste.

You genuinely think for decades the Maoris have been protesting the nickname for the NZ soccer team named after the colour of its kit? Got a link to these imaginary protests? The reaction has largely been how ridiculous it is

The truth is, nobody cared until a review this week and they thought “hmmm, white = bad… let’s get rid”.

To put this into context too, the cricket team is called the “black caps” and the basketball team is called “the tall blacks”. All based on kit colour, zero to do with skin colour.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 2:34]

”... the basketball team is called “the tall blacks.”

FFS! that’s brilliant!

I’d love to buy a pint for whoever came up with that.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:28 - Aug 27 with 1275 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:10 - Aug 27 by Lohengrin

FFS! that’s brilliant!

It is.

The teams in New Zealand all complete with the All Blacks for coverage, for obvious reasons. So the nicknames for all their sports teams are all based on kits, usually adaptations of the all blacks and they are excellent.

Everybody knows what they are, what they represent and the meanings behind them. There is literally nobody over here that thinks ''oh their nickname is all whites, it means you have to be white to play''... same as nobody thinks the reverse for the All Blacks.

Just nonsense.

But yes the Tall Blacks is my personal favorite team nickname, brilliant.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:29 - Aug 27 with 1274 viewsProfessor

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:10 - Aug 27 by Lohengrin

FFS! that’s brilliant!

There was also an ex-pat team based in Aberdeen working on the rigs called 'The Oil Blacks'

I just hope this is newspaper nonsense. Hardly important in the current situation

Was looking in the excellent 'Reid's Books' in the city yesterday-some titles to interest you in there Loh.

And walked passed these:
https://liverpoolsculptures.co.uk/liverpool-heroes/captain-noel-chavasse-vc/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-30479608

Before availing myself on an excellent vegetarian Indian lunch.
New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:34 - Aug 27 with 1271 viewsReslovenSwan1

New Zealand consider changing their name on 13:42 - Aug 27 by Dr_Parnassus

You are saying that as if you believe the Maoris have complained about the nickname about their football teams white kit which was coined in the 1980's? It has nothing to do with rugby, nothing to do with skin.

You do realise they haven't and never have complained don't you? Nobody has.

This is a review by a panel of white people justifying their existence by looking for non issues. The reaction is one of bemusement by everyone... except a few white TV personalities again looking for some virtue points.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 13:48]

You are making some very big claims you cannot possibly prove. How do you know nobody has complained? It is impossible to prove.

I will have to do some research into the panel to check your assertion that the panel was 'all white'. If it is a representative panel this would not normally be the case. As an advisory panel it would be expected to be representative. That means including people of Maori heritage.

It is the way of the world. Normal people generally go about their business and work and do not think about these things at all. Political elected people are paid and voted for by the public to enact the values they project to the public. They employ 'representative' advisers to look are various issues.

The "All Whites" might be a nickname but it also offers branding opportunities making it a de facto alternative name such as the "All Blacks". The powers that be might not see this as ideal given NZ sporting history still in living memory. You may like to consider the terrorist outrage in Auckland about 5 yer ago by a white supremacist at a local Mosque.

As I explained up until 1970 Maoris were not allowed to represent New Zealand All Blacks in matches against the Springboks . They were an "all white skinned team". There may may be still harbour resentment amongst older Maoris, who may be more inclined to gripe about it, rather than go on a protest match in downtown Auckland. Word in the ear by a Maori elder perhaps after consultation?.

Swansea rugby club is called the 'All Whites' locally. The Ospreys could have used this name but wisely chose not to. If there was no association with "all white skinned sport" supported in the past by the WRU and Welsh rugby fans there would be no issue except with people from Neath. People younger than me have airbrushed the WRU shameful history and still revere Gareth Edwards, JPR and Gerald Davies who have never apologised (as far as I know) for playing a sport restricted to white skinned players only.

NZ rugby also has a rugby team called the 'Highlanders'. On its logo is a Scotsman with a kilt. The Scots are happy with this it seems. On the other hand the indigenous peoples of USA were not happy with the 'Washington Redskins' name and logo and asked for it to be removed. I presume the Washington franchise did some research on this to assess if it was simply a complaint by activists or a real issue. They then acted accordingly.

The Kansas City Chiefs are still going and playing at the Arrowhead stadium. This may be supported by the populace.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 15:04 - Aug 27 with 1263 viewsLohengrin

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:29 - Aug 27 by Professor

There was also an ex-pat team based in Aberdeen working on the rigs called 'The Oil Blacks'

I just hope this is newspaper nonsense. Hardly important in the current situation

Was looking in the excellent 'Reid's Books' in the city yesterday-some titles to interest you in there Loh.

And walked passed these:

I made a point of visiting Brandhoek when I was last in Ypres a few years ago to see Chavasse’ grave, Prof. An extraordinary man.

The Truce statue is a lovely thing. You can buy a maquette in bronze direct from the foundry where the original was cast if you’re feeling flush, mate. God knows how much that would be mind?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 15:27 - Aug 27 with 1249 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:34 - Aug 27 by ReslovenSwan1

You are making some very big claims you cannot possibly prove. How do you know nobody has complained? It is impossible to prove.

I will have to do some research into the panel to check your assertion that the panel was 'all white'. If it is a representative panel this would not normally be the case. As an advisory panel it would be expected to be representative. That means including people of Maori heritage.

It is the way of the world. Normal people generally go about their business and work and do not think about these things at all. Political elected people are paid and voted for by the public to enact the values they project to the public. They employ 'representative' advisers to look are various issues.

The "All Whites" might be a nickname but it also offers branding opportunities making it a de facto alternative name such as the "All Blacks". The powers that be might not see this as ideal given NZ sporting history still in living memory. You may like to consider the terrorist outrage in Auckland about 5 yer ago by a white supremacist at a local Mosque.

As I explained up until 1970 Maoris were not allowed to represent New Zealand All Blacks in matches against the Springboks . They were an "all white skinned team". There may may be still harbour resentment amongst older Maoris, who may be more inclined to gripe about it, rather than go on a protest match in downtown Auckland. Word in the ear by a Maori elder perhaps after consultation?.

Swansea rugby club is called the 'All Whites' locally. The Ospreys could have used this name but wisely chose not to. If there was no association with "all white skinned sport" supported in the past by the WRU and Welsh rugby fans there would be no issue except with people from Neath. People younger than me have airbrushed the WRU shameful history and still revere Gareth Edwards, JPR and Gerald Davies who have never apologised (as far as I know) for playing a sport restricted to white skinned players only.

NZ rugby also has a rugby team called the 'Highlanders'. On its logo is a Scotsman with a kilt. The Scots are happy with this it seems. On the other hand the indigenous peoples of USA were not happy with the 'Washington Redskins' name and logo and asked for it to be removed. I presume the Washington franchise did some research on this to assess if it was simply a complaint by activists or a real issue. They then acted accordingly.

The Kansas City Chiefs are still going and playing at the Arrowhead stadium. This may be supported by the populace.

I live in the region and work within the Australasian sporting industry, I know because I know. Had there been any complaints then it would be newsworthy. The fact of the matter is, there wouldn’t be any. Just like there aren’t any from Preston inhabitants that they are called the Lilly whites.

I’m afraid you are coming at it from an uninformed position and telling the Maoris that they are offended, when they aren’t. Everyone knows where the name came from over here, it’s famous.

I know you don’t like to, but take it from me.

New Zealand consider changing their name on 15:46 - Aug 27 with 1241 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 14:29 - Aug 27 by Professor

And walked passed these:

Sadly it’s not, a very real possibility and I would say there is far more chance of the team succumbing to the madness than not.

There are NZ all whites legends coming out and saying how ridiculous it is, however those with a job to protect on the TV are giving it legitimacy and as a result it’s becoming reality.

Go up to anyone in the street in the Aus/NZ region and they will tell you what they think about it. It’s utter nonsense.

Never even been the smallest of issues until this week.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024