Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Zealand consider changing their name 15:21 - Aug 26 with 2299 viewsDr_Parnassus

This is the kind of thing that makes me roll my eyes and I think it’s this over analysing of literally everything that people get tired of.

New Zealand football team are called the All Whites, because they play in an all white kit. Just as the All Blacks are called that for their all black strip.

However after a review the football team is considering renaming themselves.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/b6ebea25-3ca8-4420-b18e-

It has nothing to do with race, it’s a kit colour. Since when has the color or word ‘white’ been offensive?

All the common sense has drained from this planet recently.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

New Zealand consider changing their name on 15:57 - Aug 27 with 287 viewsProfessor

New Zealand consider changing their name on 15:04 - Aug 27 by Lohengrin

I made a point of visiting Brandhoek when I was last in Ypres a few years ago to see Chavasse’ grave, Prof. An extraordinary man.

The Truce statue is a lovely thing. You can buy a maquette in bronze direct from the foundry where the original was cast if you’re feeling flush, mate. God knows how much that would be mind?

Always try to walk past the Chavasse statue when over that end of the Campus. Always has a fresh wreath, so someone clearly takes some time and money to honour him.

Some great statues and monuments around the city -most fairly recent. The Battle of the Atlantic memorials (there are numerous small ones for each nation who lost merchant seamen and a specific one for the Liverpool Chinese community), the Liverpool Blitz and Hillsborough memorials as well as Billy Fury and the Beatles down the waterfront. My favourites are the 'Pals regiments" memorial, as oft forgotten. Above the entrance to the Merseyrail station at Lime Street. An interesting juxtaposition with Ken Dodd a few yards away. One makes me smile and the other think
New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:25 - Aug 27 with 277 viewsReslovenSwan1

New Zealand consider changing their name on 15:27 - Aug 27 by Dr_Parnassus

I live in the region and work within the Australasian sporting industry, I know because I know. Had there been any complaints then it would be newsworthy. The fact of the matter is, there wouldn’t be any. Just like there aren’t any from Preston inhabitants that they are called the Lilly whites.

I’m afraid you are coming at it from an uninformed position and telling the Maoris that they are offended, when they aren’t. Everyone knows where the name came from over here, it’s famous.

I know you don’t like to, but take it from me.

I am not telling Maoris they are offended I am suggesting there might be one or two older Maori's that might not impressed when the New Zealand team toured South Africa with 'all white' teams at the request of the South African Government before 1970. Similarly there might be some Maori's not impressed that Maori players had to be given special dispensation as "honorary whites" in 1970 tour. NZ sport has had issues in the past with "all white" teams. This all white tour tour actually wrecked an Olympic games causing a boycott by African states.

The Board of the NZ football is not actually all white people as you suggested.

https://www.nzfootball.co.nz/ABOUT-US/Our-Standing-Committees-2

"I know because I know". Being newsworthy means nothing. Carole Vordeman is newsworthy for having a new swimsuit and being 60. Bravo I say.

Wise sage since Toshack era

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:32 - Aug 27 with 272 viewsDr_Parnassus

New Zealand consider changing their name on 16:25 - Aug 27 by ReslovenSwan1

I am not telling Maoris they are offended I am suggesting there might be one or two older Maori's that might not impressed when the New Zealand team toured South Africa with 'all white' teams at the request of the South African Government before 1970. Similarly there might be some Maori's not impressed that Maori players had to be given special dispensation as "honorary whites" in 1970 tour. NZ sport has had issues in the past with "all white" teams. This all white tour tour actually wrecked an Olympic games causing a boycott by African states.

The Board of the NZ football is not actually all white people as you suggested.

https://www.nzfootball.co.nz/ABOUT-US/Our-Standing-Committees-2

"I know because I know". Being newsworthy means nothing. Carole Vordeman is newsworthy for having a new swimsuit and being 60. Bravo I say.

You are talking about a different sport.

This is football and has nothing to do with the Rugby Tour. The rugby team you refer to are the All Blacks and have had many black players in the side. Just as the NZ football team has black players, most notable being Winston Reid.

The all white name is due to the kit, everyone knows that.

As for the NZ board. 9 of 10 are white, the other is of Indian descent. There are no Maoris on the board, which was the suggestion, that they weren’t happy.

That assumption is unproven and patently false. I’m sure Carole Vorderman would be intelligent enough to also see sense on this topic.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024