Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
9/11 - 20 years on 21:01 - Sep 9 with 1153 viewsbritferry

So what were you doing on the day it happened and how did you learn about it?

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

9/11 - 20 years on on 21:41 - Sep 9 with 1128 views1983

Last day of the holiday in Majorca sat in the hotel along with everyone else just watching it for hours on loop.

Flew home the next day the airport was bonkers they wouldn't let passengers take ANY hand luggage on the plane so people were just dumping handbags rucksacks ..etc there and then no arguing and just wanted to get the flcuk home, the flight was deadly quiet and I seem to remember you were not allowed to leave your seat either.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 22:42]

9/11 - 20 years on on 22:41 - Sep 9 with 1095 viewsbritferry

I was working in an office, a wife phoned up one of the lads to say what happened, so we hit the internet and put the telly on. First plane we all thought was an innocent accident, when the 2nd one hit, we all knew.

9/11 - 20 years on on 23:15 - Sep 9 with 1074 viewsProfessor

In a nursery/pram shop near Pontypridd. My mother-in-law rang my father-in-law who told us a planes had crashed in NYC. When we got in the car we quickly learned more from the radio. We were going to NYC for the baby’s 18th. Hope to finally go next year when she will be 20
9/11 - 20 years on on 23:23 - Sep 9 with 1061 viewsmajorraglan

I was in work and had just walked down a set of stairs to the ground floor where there was a canteen and a TV. One of my colleagues who was having his food break summoned me and we both watched a re run of the first plane hitting the building. A few minutes later we saw the second plane crash in to the second tower, as has been said earlier we then knew something sinister was taking place.

I went to New York about 7 years ago and visited the site of the twin towers, it was a very moving experience.
9/11 - 20 years on on 23:50 - Sep 9 with 1046 viewsRobbie

Driving home from work about 2 , news on the car radio said a plane had hit one of the Twin Tower . thought it might be an off - course light aircraft and minor damage .

Put tele when I got home , it was like watching a live movie , total confusion regarding 2 other planes which had gone silent and the second jet on course for the following hit .

For all the wrong reasons I could not stop viewing the ongoing event .
The falling man, and the other innocent victims only way out were haunting .
9/11 - 20 years on on 22:38 - Sep 10 with 932 viewsjackrabbit

ITV showed a documentary on Tuesday night that was brilliantly put together - no commentary or narration, just lots and lots of amateur footage shot by ordinary people telling their own back stories. It was supplemented by footage from the relevant authorities : air traffic control, emergency services and other public bodies. It brought back the horror and pain of that day which over the years had become diluted. I lived and worked in Manhattan during the 70s so it hit me very hard. On Sept 11th 2001 I was in a business meeting in a financial institution in London Docklands near the Millennium Dome as it was. We were told to get the hell out as it was rumoured the City would be targeted as well - nobody knew how far it would go and what would happen next. Total confusion. A day to forget, but we must never forget.
9/11 - 20 years on on 23:13 - Sep 10 with 920 viewsbritferry

9/11 - 20 years on on 23:23 - Sep 9 by majorraglan

I was in work and had just walked down a set of stairs to the ground floor where there was a canteen and a TV. One of my colleagues who was having his food break summoned me and we both watched a re run of the first plane hitting the building. A few minutes later we saw the second plane crash in to the second tower, as has been said earlier we then knew something sinister was taking place.

I went to New York about 7 years ago and visited the site of the twin towers, it was a very moving experience.

I actually went up one of the towers... I still have nightmares of being up there on the observation platform and thinking "that planes getting a bit close"

9/11 - 20 years on on 00:22 - Sep 11 with 903 viewsKeithHaynes

Driving in Gloucester, got a phone call from Tony Jenkins, massive swans fan who lived in Uxbridge. Sadly passed away in January. He was so descriptive of the situation it was chilling.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

9/11 - 20 years on on 22:48 - Sep 11 with 815 viewsCatullus

I'd been out the night before. I got up late, had a shower and went down, put the tv on. I thought it was a film at first. I soon realised it was a live news broadcast and as the second plane came in I sat there entranced and gobsmacked in equal measure.

As awful as it was I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

9/11 - 20 years on on 00:20 - Sep 12 with 797 viewsBrynmill_Jack

9/11 - 20 years on on 00:22 - Sep 11 by KeithHaynes

Driving in Gloucester, got a phone call from Tony Jenkins, massive swans fan who lived in Uxbridge. Sadly passed away in January. He was so descriptive of the situation it was chilling.

Was that the “Uxbridge” who used to post on here???

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

9/11 - 20 years on on 02:32 - Sep 12 with 787 viewsDJack

9/11 - 20 years on on 00:20 - Sep 12 by Brynmill_Jack

Uxbridge is Andy G.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

9/11 - 20 years on on 13:32 - Sep 12 with 737 viewsunion_jack

Buying a set of cordless phones in Argos, Cardiff. Saw it all unravel in the banks of TVs in the shop. Like many, thought it was an accident at first.

Visited the Towers on 3 occasions whilst in NY and even managed to get onto the roof on one of those visits. To me, the best attraction NY had to offer. The view from the top was amazing and the seats on the observation deck where you could look down the edge of the building was breathtaking.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

9/11 - 20 years on on 13:50 - Sep 12 with 722 viewsonehunglow

In a Sales Meeting.
The client ushered me to the TV and we both stood there gob smacked. It was like a film at first.then it all become all too real.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

9/11 - 20 years on on 14:57 - Sep 12 with 708 viewsTimBowen

I was living in Florida at the time, only arrived mid July, some 7 weeks before.

I was working with my brother on this new apartment complex in between Kissimmee and Orlando. We'd been on site for an hour or so, and there were numerous workmen around as usual, with their music playing from truck radios.

Very quickly around 09.00hrs you could see lots of workmen on their mobiles and hearing the music stations being switched over to news channels instead. My brother, working on a different part of the site, came over saying his wife had phoned, to say a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. News spread like wildfire on the site!

The normal noisy, bustling, scene on those construction sites, turned into a shocked silence, as those workmen listened in disbelief to what was being reported on their truck radios.

When my sister-in-law rang the confirm the second plane slamming into the South Tower, it was obvious, this was an attack, not some accident! Although I was confident after the first plane hit, that it was an attack, as terrorists had tried to bring down the Towers some years earlier (1993?).

Workmen then started to leave the site to return home. My brother and I travelled over to a sports bar by about 10am (just off the 192/OBT - Orange Blossom Trial) we frequented called 'Third Base,' and being a sports bar, it had numerous televisions on the walls, all tuned into different TV stations. All had cancelled their scheduled programming and were showing the incredibly shocking events live from New York.

My brother and I being British, were sort of used terrorist bombings/atrocities, I'd been a soldier in the QDG's (Welsh regiment) in Northern Ireland in the mid Seventies and experienced 'The Troubles.' But this was on a different scale entirely!

'America' or certainly the part of America I was living in, just completely shut down for the day. The stunned regulars at the bar slowly made their way in, from late morning to continue to watch the events unfold.

As the drink flowed, the local Americans' anger grew, into a retaliatory mood. Which, if you believe the conspiracy theorists point of view, was the intention all along. For ordinary Americans living working with me, those conspiracy theories gained credence, when the American Government brought out the Homeland Security Bill within days. When ordinarily that would have taken several months to have been put together.

Like virtually all of us that witnessed events that day, whether in Blighty or, 'across the pond' where I was, that was a never to be forgotten day.

And with the Taliban 'taking over' back in Afghanistan again, this will not be the end of matters.
9/11 - 20 years on on 22:05 - Sep 12 with 656 viewsKeithHaynes

9/11 - 20 years on on 00:20 - Sep 12 by Brynmill_Jack

No mate. I’ve been told that was the trust bloke who recently isn’t the trust bloke.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024