Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? 20:43 - Sep 19 with 5272 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Are you happy with our government's handling of it?
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 21:58 - Sep 19 with 2050 viewsFlashberryjack

Going green doesn't come cheap.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 11:42 - Sep 20 with 1994 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 21:58 - Sep 19 by Flashberryjack

Going green doesn't come cheap.

And getting more expensive every day.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:12 - Sep 20 with 1976 viewsProfessor

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 11:42 - Sep 20 by A_Fans_Dad

And getting more expensive every day.

A bit ironic then that rises are down to hugely increased cost for fossil fuels.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:28 - Sep 20 with 1961 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:12 - Sep 20 by Professor

A bit ironic then that rises are down to hugely increased cost for fossil fuels.

Typical response without understanding the background.
For one thing there is massive demand for those fossil fuels because of the Low Wind Generation across Europe.
The UK generation has been below 10% of Installed capacity for the last 3 months., providing about 2% to 8% of demand for weeks at a time.
Not only has Gas production had to take up the slack, but they have even been running Coal fired power stations.
Bio mass (which is not really green at all) is contributing a measly 4.8% of demand with interconnectors supplying more than that.

Wind and Solar subsidies are still driving the cost of electricity ever higher.

ps German current Wind production from 62Gw of installed capacity 2.5Gw to 5.4Gw.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 12:39]
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:38 - Sep 20 with 1945 viewsTreforys_Jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:28 - Sep 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Typical response without understanding the background.
For one thing there is massive demand for those fossil fuels because of the Low Wind Generation across Europe.
The UK generation has been below 10% of Installed capacity for the last 3 months., providing about 2% to 8% of demand for weeks at a time.
Not only has Gas production had to take up the slack, but they have even been running Coal fired power stations.
Bio mass (which is not really green at all) is contributing a measly 4.8% of demand with interconnectors supplying more than that.

Wind and Solar subsidies are still driving the cost of electricity ever higher.

ps German current Wind production from 62Gw of installed capacity 2.5Gw to 5.4Gw.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 12:39]

Ah something else you're an expert on, fair play you're a clever chap.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:40 - Sep 20 with 1944 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:38 - Sep 20 by Treforys_Jack

Thank you.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:52 - Sep 20 with 1929 viewsraynor94

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:38 - Sep 20 by Treforys_Jack

Is that a new term for pain in the a**e

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:58 - Sep 20 with 1926 viewsProfessor

Funny that.

My friend who works in the control room of National Grid says its down to a range of factors but mainly complete exposure to rise in gas prices. Since both oil and gas prices have risen (you may notice petrol is a bit pricier now) that exposes us. The other issue is the loss of connectivity to the French (largely nuclear powered) electricity network that has covered gaps, meaning a greater need for gas in power generation and across the board in industrial processes that involve hearing. But then this shyster just repeats his anti-renewables (which is not just wind) right wing, conspiracy rubbish.

The view of my electrical engineer friend- we need ongoing investment is a range of renewables .

Of course the other problem is that most suppliers are not from the UK and are happy to charge more more fuel in our deregulated market.

But never the let the facts get in the way when you have your dimwit agenda to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57369349
Login to get fewer ads

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 13:49 - Sep 20 with 1886 viewsProfessor

Google expert.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:39 - Sep 20 with 1861 viewsfelixstowe_jack

If prices keep rising how long before the Swansea lagoon becomes viable?

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:53 - Sep 20 with 1852 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:58 - Sep 20 by Professor

Funny that.

My friend who works in the control room of National Grid says its down to a range of factors but mainly complete exposure to rise in gas prices. Since both oil and gas prices have risen (you may notice petrol is a bit pricier now) that exposes us. The other issue is the loss of connectivity to the French (largely nuclear powered) electricity network that has covered gaps, meaning a greater need for gas in power generation and across the board in industrial processes that involve hearing. But then this shyster just repeats his anti-renewables (which is not just wind) right wing, conspiracy rubbish.

The view of my electrical engineer friend- we need ongoing investment is a range of renewables .

Of course the other problem is that most suppliers are not from the UK and are happy to charge more more fuel in our deregulated market.

But never the let the facts get in the way when you have your dimwit agenda to follow.

How odd that whenever I post real world, official data that you have some mate(s) somewhere that says it is all lies.
Well I suggest that you get in touch with your National Grid mate and tell him to get the facts before spouting the government line.
Anyone with a bit of sense would go where the data actually exists to check for themselves instead of asking some "mate".
For anyone who would like the truth of the matter go here for the current (minute by minute) real time Energy being supplied to the National Grid.

https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Even someone as dumb as scotia should be able to read the dials and data for themselves.
As to the excuse the current shortage is due to the "French Connection" if he actually knew anything about the supply he would know that their are 2 interconnector cables supplying about 2Gw and that only one was damaged so as you can see the other one is still supplying 0.89Gw.
The total loss is therefore about 1 Gw or 3% of demand.
Wind has managed to increase it's output to a whole 3.6Gw, nearly 11% of demand since this morning when it was only 2Gw. So let's see if we can work out which is most detrimental a loss of 1Gw or loss or a loss on average of 4Gw. Because wind normally supplies an average of about 21% of demand and at times when the wind is blowing strongly as much as 16Gw which can be 40%-50% of demand.
So here we go which is less 1Gw of French or between 3Gw and 16Gw of Wind.

I know scotia won't be able to work it out because we have been there before.

You can of course if you had any interest at all download the data and look at the history of wind and solar for yourselves, instead of listening to green bull from the government and MSM.

For the German data you can go here

https://energy-charts.info/charts/power/chart.htm?l=en&c=DE&stacking=sta

where you can see that Brown Coal and Hard Coal dwarfs the output of wind. Seeing as they hae over 60Gw of wind installed it is a pathetic performance.

But of course your "mate" knows best, much better than google.

ps a clue, we don't get our gas from Russia.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 14:56]
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:54 - Sep 20 with 1851 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:39 - Sep 20 by felixstowe_jack

Never.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:59 - Sep 20 with 1846 viewsA_Fans_Dad

We also have this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10008725/Tory-MPs-join-energy-firms-dem

and this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10007331/ALEX-BRUMMER-time-leaders-st
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:17 - Sep 20 with 1837 viewsProfessor

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:59 - Sep 20 by A_Fans_Dad

We also have this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10008725/Tory-MPs-join-energy-firms-dem

and this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10007331/ALEX-BRUMMER-time-leaders-st

I’ll take an experts view thanks. My ‘mate’ who was my best man has a degree in the area, trained through the National grid and 22 years experience. You have embarrassed yourself with reading untruths off the internet so often. You are already a laughing stock
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:23 - Sep 20 with 1830 viewsBoundy

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 12:58 - Sep 20 by Professor

Funny that.

Strangely enough in my past life so did I ( not in the Control Room admittedly) but now in the renewable sector . I've bumped gums with AFD over this topic but coal is king in his eyes ands there's no convincing otherwise that renewable energy is the future ( and has to be)

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:31 - Sep 20 with 1818 viewsProfessor

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:23 - Sep 20 by Boundy

Strangely enough in my past life so did I ( not in the Control Room admittedly) but now in the renewable sector . I've bumped gums with AFD over this topic but coal is king in his eyes ands there's no convincing otherwise that renewable energy is the future ( and has to be)

You have to be totally stupid to think otherwise. It's not the complete solution for today or even 10 years down the line, but has to be long term. Of course he also believes the pseudoscience that oil and coal come from rock rather than organic matter.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:47 - Sep 20 with 1810 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:17 - Sep 20 by Professor

I’ll take an experts view thanks. My ‘mate’ who was my best man has a degree in the area, trained through the National grid and 22 years experience. You have embarrassed yourself with reading untruths off the internet so often. You are already a laughing stock

In other words you have absolutely no answers then.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:50 - Sep 20 with 1801 viewskrunchykarrot

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:39 - Sep 20 by felixstowe_jack

Never hopefully, go and experiment elsewhere. We have a line down one of six from Europe. We have to burn gas to compensate. This on top of the fact that apparently we have had no wind this summer and are paying upto 25% green levy on our bills.

Some of these small energycompanies have been gambling on the market and have been caught out, that will teach them noy to hedge their business module.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:54 - Sep 20 with 1791 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:23 - Sep 20 by Boundy

So the actual values coming off the grid are wrong?
Can you prove it with actual data?
No, coal is not king, nuclear SMRs and MSRs are the future, but until they are built we need baseload generation, now you more than most having worked for Grid must know how important Baseload and Spinning Reserves and Balancing are.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:54 - Sep 20 with 1790 viewscontroversial_jack

Our govt doesn't control energy prices, they are private companies
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:58 - Sep 20 with 1787 viewsProfessor

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:47 - Sep 20 by A_Fans_Dad

In other words you have absolutely no answers then.

Like you I am not an expert in this. But unlike you I don’t pretend to be. What I can tell is you have been mugged off by vested interests.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 16:02 - Sep 20 with 1784 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:31 - Sep 20 by Professor

You have to be totally stupid to think otherwise. It's not the complete solution for today or even 10 years down the line, but has to be long term. Of course he also believes the pseudoscience that oil and coal come from rock rather than organic matter.

OK, with the massive tax payers investments over to install capacity of over 24Gw those last ten years you have got nearly 4Gw today for your money at anything up to £130/MWh.

You must be either twp or couldn't care less about other people's money and welfare.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 16:28 - Sep 20 with 1773 viewsmajorraglan

I think a number of posters on different sides of the spectrum are all making good points.
From where I sit, I believe global warming and blinder change is real and I firmly believe that renewables are the way forward. That said, we also have to have a plan B.

I believe the current situation we are in is a direct result of a lack of joined up thinking and forward planning. I would have thought it would be in the national interest to be self sufficient when it comes to energy supply, but we are overly reliant on other countries for our gas supply and our electricity as the DM article points out. I wasn’t aware of the issue with the gas storage facility in Yorkshire, but it’s unbelievable that a critical facility is allowed to fall in to a state of disrepair and then closed down.

I know the government and the Conservative party in general don’t believe in a big state function but I believe there are somethings they have to be directed and controlled from the centre and energy supply is one of those things. There’s previously been talk of a lack of future generating capacity, potential shortages in electricity production and black outs and this should have been addressed a long time ago.

We need an effective strategy which endures our lights don’t go off and that our homes are adequately heated. We’ve seen how poorly prepared we were for the pandemic after Exercise Cygnus identified our shortcomings, we can’t allow similar shortcomings to manifest themselves with our energy supply.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 16:40]
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 16:29 - Sep 20 with 1770 viewsProfessor

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 16:02 - Sep 20 by A_Fans_Dad

OK, with the massive tax payers investments over to install capacity of over 24Gw those last ten years you have got nearly 4Gw today for your money at anything up to £130/MWh.

You must be either twp or couldn't care less about other people's money and welfare.

You truly are taken. Of course you don’t believe there is any man made climate change. So **** the future eh? I would rather my tax go on this than endless dodgy deals or an arms race.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 16:36 - Sep 20 with 1762 viewscontroversial_jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 16:29 - Sep 20 by Professor

You truly are taken. Of course you don’t believe there is any man made climate change. So **** the future eh? I would rather my tax go on this than endless dodgy deals or an arms race.

I don't believe climate change is man made either. It doesn't add up imo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024