Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fury would beat any man born in history 16:30 - Oct 10 with 3769 viewsonehunglow

That what he reckons.

Here's my list of those who would have under the rules of THEIR era.

Demspey.By KO
Marciano.My KO
Louis .Points
Ali.KO /points/Tko
Foreman. KO
Johnson.points after 35 rounds
Sorry Tyson me ol mucker.You re lucky this era is so sheeite

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Fury would beat any man born in history on 14:48 - Oct 19 with 666 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 14:42 - Oct 19 by howenjack

You think so ? Have a read of what some of Marciano's contemporaries thought of him Marciano 's punching power was scientifically measured in the late 50's the result was the equivalent of a 200 pound fridge being punched 5 foot across the floor !

https://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingforum/66107-rocky-marcianos-punching-power.htm

Howen.
The boxer most revered when I was growing up was Joe Louis.

Sorry but anyone believing Tyson Fury would in any way not be made to look a clown in the ring with Louis,in his prime ,in that era really is out of season.

Joe could have beaten Fury and Wilder on the same night.

People need to educate themselves on the noble art. It's all opinion anyway.

Going back to Dempsey;has Fury taken the place of Jess Willard at that venue and in that heat, Fury might have actually died. The ref would not have stopped the punishment and Dempey would have chased him to the next town to finish him off. JD would walk miles across a desert to fight for money. Fury wouldnt have hardly landed a punch on him.

so there

Fury would beat any man born in history on 15:44 - Oct 19 with 648 viewshowenjack

Fury would beat any man born in history on 14:48 - Oct 19 by onehunglow

Howen.
The boxer most revered when I was growing up was Joe Louis.

Sorry but anyone believing Tyson Fury would in any way not be made to look a clown in the ring with Louis,in his prime ,in that era really is out of season.

Joe could have beaten Fury and Wilder on the same night.

People need to educate themselves on the noble art. It's all opinion anyway.

Going back to Dempsey;has Fury taken the place of Jess Willard at that venue and in that heat, Fury might have actually died. The ref would not have stopped the punishment and Dempey would have chased him to the next town to finish him off. JD would walk miles across a desert to fight for money. Fury wouldnt have hardly landed a punch on him.

so there

Yes It was 110 in the shade on the day of the Dempsey Willard fight so in that respect conditions would certainly have been against Fury . Also the neutral corner rule was not yet in force so if Fury had hit the deck Dempsey would have been waiting to pounce. By the way JD had bet $1000 on himself that he would ko Willard in the first - he came pretty close to achieving it ! What a lot of people nowadays don't realise is that years ago in the bygone eras fighters had far more fights than today . Dempsey was the exception to the rule in that he was used sparingly , when he became champ , by his management. in the years leading up to the Willard fight though he was busy and before that had fought saloon fights and had even had a job as a brothel bouncer ! he was only 24 when he won the world heavyweight championship so he had learnt his craft as it were . Greb for instance seldom trained - he didn't need to , he was fighting someone every couple of weeks !! What Iam saying here is that the old timers had far more ring time where every possible scenario had already been played out in front of them 100 times before and against good hungry fighters and there were plenty of them. The task of facing a new opponent every few weeks/months with every challenge that presents beats the stale routine of the same old sparring partners in a gym routine every time . I think a lot of modern fight fans fail to look in the past and get a feel of what it was like in those days. What I will say is that sport science and nutrition is probably a little better as far as the fight game is concerned but at the end of the day there's no substitute for real action .
Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:34 - Oct 19 with 629 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 15:44 - Oct 19 by howenjack

Yes It was 110 in the shade on the day of the Dempsey Willard fight so in that respect conditions would certainly have been against Fury . Also the neutral corner rule was not yet in force so if Fury had hit the deck Dempsey would have been waiting to pounce. By the way JD had bet $1000 on himself that he would ko Willard in the first - he came pretty close to achieving it ! What a lot of people nowadays don't realise is that years ago in the bygone eras fighters had far more fights than today . Dempsey was the exception to the rule in that he was used sparingly , when he became champ , by his management. in the years leading up to the Willard fight though he was busy and before that had fought saloon fights and had even had a job as a brothel bouncer ! he was only 24 when he won the world heavyweight championship so he had learnt his craft as it were . Greb for instance seldom trained - he didn't need to , he was fighting someone every couple of weeks !! What Iam saying here is that the old timers had far more ring time where every possible scenario had already been played out in front of them 100 times before and against good hungry fighters and there were plenty of them. The task of facing a new opponent every few weeks/months with every challenge that presents beats the stale routine of the same old sparring partners in a gym routine every time . I think a lot of modern fight fans fail to look in the past and get a feel of what it was like in those days. What I will say is that sport science and nutrition is probably a little better as far as the fight game is concerned but at the end of the day there's no substitute for real action .

My God.
Just a shame we couldn’t meet up and discuss the fight game .
Fantastic posting Sir

Fury would beat any man born in history on 18:55 - Oct 19 with 613 viewsshingle

Comparing and believing a 13st 7ib Jack Dempsey who fought light heavyweights throughout most of his career and was twice beaten by a 12 stone Gene Tunney would beat the likes of Foreman, Holmes, and other 17 or 18 st top heavyweights is hilarious, even Fury would have easily beaten him, six stone difference mun please try and be realistic here.
Fury would beat any man born in history on 19:00 - Oct 19 with 606 viewshowenjack

Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:34 - Oct 19 by onehunglow

My God.
Just a shame we couldn’t meet up and discuss the fight game .
Fantastic posting Sir

Just a post script on Harry Grebb . There is no surviving footage to any one's knowledge of Harry Grebb in fight action only of him training , so search your attic you never know 'cos if someone does find any reels of tape of this guy it will be name your price time and you will be talking millions . Grebb incidentally lived a bit fast for a boxer outside of the ring he liked to give the impression he was a bit of a party animal . He died in tragic circumstances though at 32 -he never woke up from the anaesthetic while having an operation on his broken nose due to boxing damage and car crashes . He had also damaged his right eye previously through boxing and had fought many times blind in one eye! Incredibly, he kept the injury a secret from all but his wife and closest friends, fooling physicians during pre-fight physicals by memorizing the order of the letters on the eye chart ! (Greb would later lose some vision in his good eye and his gradual loss of sight led him to always go to bed with the light on).
They don't make them like him anymore .
Another thing I have always been enthralled about is the colourful nicknames given these old timers - Gunboat Smith , Philadelphia Jack O Brien , The Manassa Mauler , The Pittsburgh Windmill , Satchell Feet , The Boston Gob , The Ghost with the hammer , The Brockton Blockbuster , The Leamington Licker and many more .....long may it continue. Really though when you study the history of boxing what becomes apparent is that you are dealing with life . It's all there in front of you you are dealing with humanity in all its glory and all its failings and all its tragedies that's what makes it so compelling .
Fury would beat any man born in history on 20:03 - Oct 19 with 587 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 18:55 - Oct 19 by shingle

Comparing and believing a 13st 7ib Jack Dempsey who fought light heavyweights throughout most of his career and was twice beaten by a 12 stone Gene Tunney would beat the likes of Foreman, Holmes, and other 17 or 18 st top heavyweights is hilarious, even Fury would have easily beaten him, six stone difference mun please try and be realistic here.

A few facts for you.
JD was 6-1 and not far off 14 stone when stepping into the ring.
He did not fight light heavyweights to any degree.

We are or were reflecting about rules as they were at the time.

Dempsey would have floored Fury and then stood over him as he tried to get to his feet and simply smash him. Tunney was more than 12 stone too and actually he would have also beaten Fury by boxing the crap out of him.

Jack Johnson would also have smashed Fury to pieces.

Size is not everything or at least it wasnt then

To dis one of the greatest legends of the sport as you do is frankly indicative of your knowledge.

Others who would have floored Fury apart from Ali and Fury

Lennox Lewis
Holmes
Norton
Frazier
Liston
Foreman

God knows how Marciano would have treated him.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 20:04]

Fury would beat any man born in history on 20:38 - Oct 19 with 572 viewsDr_Winston

Yeah, there's not a chance in hell that a thirteen stone fighter would "floor" Tyson Fury, someone who would outweigh him by more than six stone. Your limited understanding of Boxing doesn't trump basic Physics. He might outwork and outpoint him, but Fury would remain standing at the end.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 20:40]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Fury would beat any man born in history on 20:58 - Oct 19 with 572 viewsonehunglow

As there have been some decent exchanges on this thread ,maybe we could open one pf the best pound for pound fighter of all time.

Login to get fewer ads

Fury would beat any man born in history on 21:00 - Oct 19 with 571 viewshowenjack

Fury would beat any man born in history on 18:55 - Oct 19 by shingle

Dempsey didn't just fight light heavyweights he fought and beat Luis Firpo who was 6-3 and over 15 stone ,Carl Morris 6 -4 225 pounds koed in less than a minute , jess Willard 6-7 230 pounds ended up in Hospital with broken ribs ,convulsions and minus his teeth and a fractured eye socket.. Fred Fulton 220 pounds 6-4 koed in 23 seconds . Size does not mean you are a powerful puncher . Just because Fury is bigger than everyone else doesn't mean he beats everyone else . Read the article by a doctor I posted previously on this thread re Marciano's punching power he explains the science behind it . It has got nothing to do with size more with velocity and technique and God given ability coupled with timing . Bruce Lee demonstrates this on line in the video of the one inch punch .
Ray Arcell a boxing trainer who has seen ALL the great fighters from the twenties until the eighties rates Jack Dempsey in his prime (1919-20 )as the greatest he has seen .When Tunney fought him in 1926 he was way past his best and in the return fight he was robbed - Tunney was down for 15 seconds. Not predicting anything , just saying ,because no one will ever know.
Fury would beat any man born in history on 21:07 - Oct 19 with 569 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 21:00 - Oct 19 by howenjack

Dempsey didn't just fight light heavyweights he fought and beat Luis Firpo who was 6-3 and over 15 stone ,Carl Morris 6 -4 225 pounds koed in less than a minute , jess Willard 6-7 230 pounds ended up in Hospital with broken ribs ,convulsions and minus his teeth and a fractured eye socket.. Fred Fulton 220 pounds 6-4 koed in 23 seconds . Size does not mean you are a powerful puncher . Just because Fury is bigger than everyone else doesn't mean he beats everyone else . Read the article by a doctor I posted previously on this thread re Marciano's punching power he explains the science behind it . It has got nothing to do with size more with velocity and technique and God given ability coupled with timing . Bruce Lee demonstrates this on line in the video of the one inch punch .
Ray Arcell a boxing trainer who has seen ALL the great fighters from the twenties until the eighties rates Jack Dempsey in his prime (1919-20 )as the greatest he has seen .When Tunney fought him in 1926 he was way past his best and in the return fight he was robbed - Tunney was down for 15 seconds. Not predicting anything , just saying ,because no one will ever know.

If Tunney had not had that long count ,he'd have been kod.Fact. Look at his face as he lay on the canvas.
Dempsey was a fine physical specimen and to make matters worse -for his opponents-he had a raging thirst for winning and money.A vicious combination.

It is all about rules of the time. Now Dempsey would probably be disqualified;Marciano definately so.

One thing for sure.People will not be talking about Fury in 100 years time. Every world champion of any worth has respected Dempsey.

Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:42 - Oct 20 with 514 viewsshingle

Fury would beat any man born in history on 21:00 - Oct 19 by howenjack

Mate i get it you are very nostalgic about the bygone years etc but i clearly stated Demspey fought mostly light heavyweights i did not say only light heavys and now your bringing in an article by a random doctor and Bruce Lee video`s you do realise Bruce Lee was a film star who never had a competitive clarified fight in Boxing or Mma, and again Tunney long count or no long count won both fights an weighed just 12 st 6lbs also who said Fury beats everyone else he is no where near the best but being six stones heavier than Dempsey tells us what the most likely outcome would have been in a fight between the two of them and yes no one will ever know but logic and common sense goes a long way.
Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:52 - Oct 20 with 513 viewsshingle

Fury would beat any man born in history on 21:07 - Oct 19 by onehunglow

If Tunney had not had that long count ,he'd have been kod.Fact. Look at his face as he lay on the canvas.
Dempsey was a fine physical specimen and to make matters worse -for his opponents-he had a raging thirst for winning and money.A vicious combination.

It is all about rules of the time. Now Dempsey would probably be disqualified;Marciano definately so.

One thing for sure.People will not be talking about Fury in 100 years time. Every world champion of any worth has respected Dempsey.

People will be talking about all good champions in 100 years time mun, many are already saying the latest Fury v Wilder fight is the greatest heavyweight fight in history, i am not saying i agree with that mind you, but it has to be up there, so yes people will be talking about the likes of Fury in a hundred years time and most unbiased people using a little bit of logic will have a pretty good idea of what the outcome would be if a great 18 st champ fights a great 13 st champ we are not talking about a 1 or two stone weight difference here it is 5 stone so lets use a little realistic logic on this particular debate shall we.
Fury would beat any man born in history on 11:23 - Oct 21 with 477 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:52 - Oct 20 by shingle

People will be talking about all good champions in 100 years time mun, many are already saying the latest Fury v Wilder fight is the greatest heavyweight fight in history, i am not saying i agree with that mind you, but it has to be up there, so yes people will be talking about the likes of Fury in a hundred years time and most unbiased people using a little bit of logic will have a pretty good idea of what the outcome would be if a great 18 st champ fights a great 13 st champ we are not talking about a 1 or two stone weight difference here it is 5 stone so lets use a little realistic logic on this particular debate shall we.

Shin
I always like a good exchange and you've posted some strong arguments for your view and that's great .

Good man

Fury would beat any man born in history on 12:10 - Oct 21 with 471 viewshowenjack

Yes let's agree to disagree . No one will ever know the true outcome when someone is matched from the past . What I do know is that logic doesn't win fights if that was the case jimmy Wilde would be unknown nobody.
Fury would beat any man born in history on 12:12 - Oct 21 with 468 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 12:10 - Oct 21 by howenjack

Yes let's agree to disagree . No one will ever know the true outcome when someone is matched from the past . What I do know is that logic doesn't win fights if that was the case jimmy Wilde would be unknown nobody.

Great post and very true.
The ghost was a freak.

Incredible the number of fights they had

Fury would beat any man born in history on 20:36 - Oct 21 with 445 viewshowenjack

Here's an interesting article I found OHL

https://boxingace.com/was-dai-dollings-the-most-influential-british-trainer-in-h
Fury would beat any man born in history on 10:09 - Oct 22 with 408 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 20:36 - Oct 21 by howenjack

https://boxingace.com/was-dai-dollings-the-most-influential-british-trainer-in-h

Fantastic and many thanks

Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:57 - Oct 22 with 377 viewsCleddau

Fury would beat any man born in history on 20:36 - Oct 21 by howenjack

Real name Dai Jones from the Baptist Well area.
Fury would beat any man born in history on 18:36 - Oct 22 with 366 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:57 - Oct 22 by Cleddau

Thanks for that Cledd.

Used to be on nodding term with

Fury would beat any man born in history on 18:38 - Oct 22 with 366 viewsonehunglow

Fury would beat any man born in history on 17:57 - Oct 22 by Cleddau

Thanks for that Cledd.

Used to be on nodding term with Brian Curvis when he lived in Wimmerfield . My mum was a "chum" of his brother Cliff.
A decent bloke was BC and he lost a brave fight against Griffith,one of the greatest pound for pounders of all time.

Fury would beat any man born in history on 00:09 - Oct 23 with 347 viewsKilkennyjack

Fury would beat any man born in history on 18:38 - Oct 22 by onehunglow

Thanks for that Cledd.

Used to be on nodding term with Brian Curvis when he lived in Wimmerfield . My mum was a "chum" of his brother Cliff.
A decent bloke was BC and he lost a brave fight against Griffith,one of the greatest pound for pounders of all time.

Never lost to a British born fighter.
Remarkable record Brian Curvis.

Won 2 Lonsdale Belts. Not many do that.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024