Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ooops 16:09 - Oct 26 with 1656 viewsCatullus

Yes it is human made.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58954530

Of course some people don't want to accept it. Usually those people who want to carry on as we are and not accept tesponsibility...or lower profits!

Too many people on this planet are putting money before our future and it will end very badly.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Ooops on 19:16 - Oct 27 with 374 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ooops on 17:12 - Oct 27 by Professor

Do you? Ever actually seen a wind farm.

Most (well all I have seen except a few small urban ones) windfarms have gaps in which things grow, live or swim. Somewhere like the old Aberthaw power station had a pretty large footprint. Plus that of the railway or roads to service it. Plus that of the colliery or gas platform to produce the fuel. Plus the cost of fuel to transport the coal or that to build a gas pipeline.

Funny, I don't remember 14 million trees being chopped down to build coal, gas or nuclear plants.
And that is only the Wind Farms in Scotland.
Ooops on 10:14 - Oct 28 with 345 viewsBoundy

Ooops on 19:16 - Oct 27 by A_Fans_Dad

Funny, I don't remember 14 million trees being chopped down to build coal, gas or nuclear plants.

Funny you haven't mentioned the damage caused to the environment by open cast mining ( over 40% of the worlds mining takes place using this "technique") , look up Ffos-y-fran if you like a good read.
"An open cast mining operation virtually eliminates any biologic life at the surface. Vegetation is stripped, and the surface at the site is left completely barren. Without replanting and restoring the ecosystem, a strip mining site can take decades to recover. Abandoned mining pits can also pose extreme risks. The slope of the mining walls can be steep or even vertical, and the structural stability of access points is constantly changing as erosion occurs. Without vegetation to stabilise the surface, landslides and rockslides can occur without warning.

Pollution and Drainage
AMD, or acid mine drainage, is a serious environmental concern associated with strip mining. AMD occurs when sulfide-rich rocks that contain ore are broken down from exposure to water and air at the surface. The sulfides form sulfuric acid, which dissolves nearby rock and releases dangerous metalloids into local streams and groundwater. This polluted water can kill life along water sources for miles".

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Ooops on 10:18 - Oct 28 with 343 viewsBoundy

Ooops on 19:16 - Oct 27 by A_Fans_Dad

Funny you didn't mention the fact that Scotland's woodland creation continued at pace with around 89% of the 12,000 hectares target being achieved. Last year (2020) 10,660 hectares of new woodland was created — the equivalent of over 22 million trees in the ground. So if my maths are correct and using your figures we're now in credit of 8 millions trees , that fact must please you?

Ooops on 10:36 - Oct 28 with 334 viewsCatullus

Ooops on 10:18 - Oct 28 by Boundy

Funny you didn't mention the fact that Scotland's woodland creation continued at pace with around 89% of the 12,000 hectares target being achieved. Last year (2020) 10,660 hectares of new woodland was created — the equivalent of over 22 million trees in the ground. So if my maths are correct and using your figures we're now in credit of 8 millions trees , that fact must please you?

The Senedd has released the grand plan,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/net-zero-welsh-government-cop26-21

Some of it seems a bit hopeful, fanciful even. They want to reduce emissions from public transport but they want car journeys to lower too and for us to make more journeys on...public transport!

They want us to stop using gas to heat our homes but they need to provide a viable alternative. From what I've been reading heat pumps aren't the answer and they are very expensive anyway. How can people on benefits afford the installation fees which can be over 10k.

They want to completely abolish single use plastics, good luck with that one, the supermarket shelves are full of them, get anything delivered (from Amazon maybe) and there'll likely be single use plastic wrapping.

They want 10% of agricultural land to be shared to support tree planting, by shared do they really mean they want farmers to give up 10% of their fields?

Where is the money coming from for all this? Westminster? Are the Senedd going to use their tax raising powers?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Ooops on 11:41 - Oct 28 with 316 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ooops on 10:14 - Oct 28 by Boundy

Funny you haven't mentioned the damage caused to the environment by open cast mining ( over 40% of the worlds mining takes place using this "technique") , look up Ffos-y-fran if you like a good read.
"An open cast mining operation virtually eliminates any biologic life at the surface. Vegetation is stripped, and the surface at the site is left completely barren. Without replanting and restoring the ecosystem, a strip mining site can take decades to recover. Abandoned mining pits can also pose extreme risks. The slope of the mining walls can be steep or even vertical, and the structural stability of access points is constantly changing as erosion occurs. Without vegetation to stabilise the surface, landslides and rockslides can occur without warning.

Pollution and Drainage
AMD, or acid mine drainage, is a serious environmental concern associated with strip mining. AMD occurs when sulfide-rich rocks that contain ore are broken down from exposure to water and air at the surface. The sulfides form sulfuric acid, which dissolves nearby rock and releases dangerous metalloids into local streams and groundwater. This polluted water can kill life along water sources for miles".

Yes strip mining is aweful.
Except isn't part of their licence the requirement to return it back to it's original state?
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 11:57]
Ooops on 11:55 - Oct 28 with 313 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ooops on 10:18 - Oct 28 by Boundy

So, which is better 22 million new trees or 8 million new trees.
I am sure that you can work it out.
The 22 million new trees will still take decades to get to the maturity of those cut down.

How about we talk about all the birds, bats and insects killed by wind turbines. Many of which are on the endangered or protected species list.
In Germany, the only place where anybody has bothered to measure it 1200 tons of insects killed every year.

https://www.netzerowatch.com/new-study-german-wind-turbines-kill-1200-tons-of-in
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 11:55]
Ooops on 12:37 - Oct 28 with 305 viewsBarrySwan

Ooops on 10:36 - Oct 28 by Catullus

The Senedd has released the grand plan,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/net-zero-welsh-government-cop26-21

Some of it seems a bit hopeful, fanciful even. They want to reduce emissions from public transport but they want car journeys to lower too and for us to make more journeys on...public transport!

They want us to stop using gas to heat our homes but they need to provide a viable alternative. From what I've been reading heat pumps aren't the answer and they are very expensive anyway. How can people on benefits afford the installation fees which can be over 10k.

They want to completely abolish single use plastics, good luck with that one, the supermarket shelves are full of them, get anything delivered (from Amazon maybe) and there'll likely be single use plastic wrapping.

They want 10% of agricultural land to be shared to support tree planting, by shared do they really mean they want farmers to give up 10% of their fields?

Where is the money coming from for all this? Westminster? Are the Senedd going to use their tax raising powers?

'People on benefits can't afford £10,000 for a new boiler / heating system?'

You're surely not suggesting that those of us in work can stump up £10,000 at the drop of a hat rather than the still hefty but certainly more appealing and achievable £2,000 for a straight change gas boiler cost?
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 12:37]
Ooops on 12:47 - Oct 28 with 298 viewsDr_Winston

Had a new gas boiler and filter installed about six months ago. £1150 all done.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Ooops on 13:08 - Oct 28 with 292 viewsBoundy

Ooops on 11:41 - Oct 28 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes strip mining is aweful.
Except isn't part of their licence the requirement to return it back to it's original state?
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 11:57]

You haven't thought this through have you , what happens during the process or life time of the site which can be up to 30 years or do you propose one day desecrate the ground then the following restore it to its natural state then repeat rinse.

Ooops on 13:17 - Oct 28 with 290 viewsCatullus

Ooops on 12:37 - Oct 28 by BarrySwan

'People on benefits can't afford £10,000 for a new boiler / heating system?'

You're surely not suggesting that those of us in work can stump up £10,000 at the drop of a hat rather than the still hefty but certainly more appealing and achievable £2,000 for a straight change gas boiler cost?
[Post edited 28 Oct 2021 12:37]

A lot of people in work claim benefits too. Those tend to be the lower earners. I'm not counting child benefit there either. 2.6 million claim universal credit. But no, I'm not suggesting everybody else can stump up 10k at the drop of a hat. A lot of schemes are available for people to change over, a credit deal is sometimes offered. The poorer people couldn't even afford that.

We had a new boiler fitted in our old house 2.5 years back, 1300 all in.

Ooops on 14:04 - Oct 28 with 278 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ooops on 13:17 - Oct 28 by Catullus

A lot of people in work claim benefits too. Those tend to be the lower earners. I'm not counting child benefit there either. 2.6 million claim universal credit. But no, I'm not suggesting everybody else can stump up 10k at the drop of a hat. A lot of schemes are available for people to change over, a credit deal is sometimes offered. The poorer people couldn't even afford that.

We had a new boiler fitted in our old house 2.5 years back, 1300 all in.

Cat, the £10K is bad enough but it ddoesn't stop there.
They are more expensive to run, they don't produce the same temperatures, so bigger radiators are usually needed plus extensive insulation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024