Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of Youngsters coming through 18:09 - Nov 25 with 1747 viewsAndyconky

We're playing great at the moment and definitely on an upward trajectory so all seems well in the garden. Is it a concern with no sign of this seasons breakthrough youngster from the under 23s. Am I right in thinking that Ben Cabango was the last who has genuinely cemented his place in the first team squad? Is this a lack of talent or just an emphasis on 1st team results and not necessarily sustainability?

Blog: Are we any better than other supporters ?

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 19:17 - Nov 25 with 1701 viewsKeithHaynes

A blip we hope, but there’s others on here with far more knowledge.
The only problem I see at the moment is the ability of the U23s coaching staff.
Again I could be wrong, but it’s a results business mostly, even at that level.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 21:00 - Nov 25 with 1663 viewsReslovenSwan1

Here is a possible conveyor belt of talent close or in the first team picture that have spent 3 -4 years in the system.

22-23 years. Benda (xL) , Garrick (L)

21-22 years Ollie Cooper ( L) Liam Cullen

20-21 Years Brandon Cooper (xL) Dan Williams Ben Cabango (FT)

19-20 Years Cameron Evans (L) Tivonge Rushesha, Lewis Webb Josh Thomas (? Inj?)

Imported - Whittaker, Obafemi and Joseph (L) are still quite junior.

10 of those listed are genuine academy prospects. L loan xL past loans FT first team.

The u23 is quite young and converting to Martin ball. I have some sympathy with Ko'L. He will have to do extra (as a local boy) to prove himself with the fans I suspect. He did play and train under Roberto.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 21:34]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 23:09 - Nov 25 with 1599 viewsjasper_T

Not sure what's happened with Josh Thomas. Was a brief period where the club were talking him up with his one on one sessions with Trundle etc. Similar to Cullen, bit too small to fit the picture of a modern centre forward.

Takes a brave manager to give unproven young players a chance. Some aren't at all interested, others some interest but turn to security blanket of experience when push comes to shove. Everyone wants a productive academy but it doesn't happen without consistent investment of first team opportunities; a risk few managers feel they can afford. We did it under Potter because we had little other choice. Cardiff similar now.

Scott Butler will be the next in need of a loan. The younger lads need coddling for a couple of years, ready for whichever manager follows Russell Martin.
Lack of Youngsters coming through on 09:27 - Nov 26 with 1526 viewsmichu

The likes of Whittaker (both), Butler, Webb, Williams, Cullen & Margetson desperately need a loan to get decent minutes. Ollie Cooper is flying at Newport.
Lack of Youngsters coming through on 09:48 - Nov 26 with 1513 views34dfgdf54

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 09:27 - Nov 26 by michu

The likes of Whittaker (both), Butler, Webb, Williams, Cullen & Margetson desperately need a loan to get decent minutes. Ollie Cooper is flying at Newport.

Webb etc wanted loans.
Lack of Youngsters coming through on 09:55 - Nov 26 with 1505 viewsAndyconky

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 21:00 - Nov 25 by ReslovenSwan1

Here is a possible conveyor belt of talent close or in the first team picture that have spent 3 -4 years in the system.

22-23 years. Benda (xL) , Garrick (L)

21-22 years Ollie Cooper ( L) Liam Cullen

20-21 Years Brandon Cooper (xL) Dan Williams Ben Cabango (FT)

19-20 Years Cameron Evans (L) Tivonge Rushesha, Lewis Webb Josh Thomas (? Inj?)

Imported - Whittaker, Obafemi and Joseph (L) are still quite junior.

10 of those listed are genuine academy prospects. L loan xL past loans FT first team.

The u23 is quite young and converting to Martin ball. I have some sympathy with Ko'L. He will have to do extra (as a local boy) to prove himself with the fans I suspect. He did play and train under Roberto.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 21:34]

Cheers Resolven for that. Seems the likes of Cooper and Cabango are at a crossroads. I'd not seen a lot of Ollie Cooper but seems the Newport loan has done him a.lot of good. Think January will be interesting as a few if not most need to get out on loan. Too long in the system and they become stale.

Blog: Are we any better than other supporters ?

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 10:56 - Nov 26 with 1476 viewsjasper_T

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 09:27 - Nov 26 by michu

Rushesha should be looking for a move as well. Got some miles in his legs now after injury. He's no wingback so staying here won't be doing him many favours if he wants another Zimbabwe callup.
Lack of Youngsters coming through on 11:13 - Nov 26 with 1464 viewsYouBackJastard

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 10:56 - Nov 26 by jasper_T

Rushesha should be looking for a move as well. Got some miles in his legs now after injury. He's no wingback so staying here won't be doing him many favours if he wants another Zimbabwe callup.

Seems the coaching staff behind the scenes really highly rate Rushesha given his quick call up to the U23s when he was younger than some of our U18s. Would love to see how he develops after a loan move.

Be a massive shame if there’s no place for Oli Cooper in and around the first team next year, would be fantastic for the morale of our young uns to see that progression
Login to get fewer ads

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 11:29 - Nov 26 with 1446 viewsjasper_T

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 11:13 - Nov 26 by YouBackJastard

Seems the coaching staff behind the scenes really highly rate Rushesha given his quick call up to the U23s when he was younger than some of our U18s. Would love to see how he develops after a loan move.

Be a massive shame if there’s no place for Oli Cooper in and around the first team next year, would be fantastic for the morale of our young uns to see that progression

The way he's been playing this season Ollie would be a better fit for one of the positions in behind Piroe than most Martin has tried. Should stay where he is for now, though.
Lack of Youngsters coming through on 18:10 - Nov 26 with 1328 viewsCountyJim

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 09:55 - Nov 26 by Andyconky

Cheers Resolven for that. Seems the likes of Cooper and Cabango are at a crossroads. I'd not seen a lot of Ollie Cooper but seems the Newport loan has done him a.lot of good. Think January will be interesting as a few if not most need to get out on loan. Too long in the system and they become stale.

Ollie been fantastic for us think he's to good for L2 I'm hoping we can keep him come January mind 😬
Lack of Youngsters coming through on 18:20 - Nov 26 with 1321 viewsReslovenSwan1

Patterson has been a complete revelation. But hang on look at his CV. In mid November has stats are as good as he has ever had for a whole season bar one.

Martin will need to ease him through the rest of the season and consider resting and rotating to keep him fresh for a 30 year old.

Ollie Cooper or more likely Walsh could be the sub option. As a newly anointed star man I suggest caution and careful use. An injury and a blank spell are always lurking. Goals and shots are already thin on the ground and Wayne R is no longer at the club to pick up the slack.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 20:31 - Nov 26 with 1288 viewsYouBackJastard

Lack of Youngsters coming through on 18:10 - Nov 26 by CountyJim

Ollie been fantastic for us think he's to good for L2 I'm hoping we can keep him come January mind 😬

Hopefully we don’t rush him back, big shame that we ended B Cooper’s loan last year before he got a full season under his belt
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024