Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colston Statue vandals innocent 18:40 - Jan 5 with 15637 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston vandals are CLEARED: Gleeful BLM activists thank Banksy for his support after they are acquitted of criminal damage over toppling of Edward Colston statue - sparking outrage that jury has given a 'greenlight to political vandalism.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 18:40 - Jan 6 with 879 viewsonehunglow

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 18:34 - Jan 6 by Wingstandwood

Could you imagine what the impact would have been if all these glib multimillionaire footballers and others had shown genuine care by donating a fraction of their wages to black Africa?

Far more impactive and preferable to empty, soulless zero-end-product attention seeking!

There is wealth amongst black players in the Prem to wipe out most African poverty

Africa is tribal however and still unable to provide for much of the continent .

Racism is not relevant to most welsh villages as there are few if any people of colour there.

It’s easy to be a non racist when living in an all white enclave..

It looks great though

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 18:54 - Jan 6 with 868 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 18:40 - Jan 6 by onehunglow

There is wealth amongst black players in the Prem to wipe out most African poverty

Africa is tribal however and still unable to provide for much of the continent .

Racism is not relevant to most welsh villages as there are few if any people of colour there.

It looks great though

I’m always getting emails off African princes offering me millions of pounds in return for helping out with their sick mothers. Perhaps if they weren’t giving away all this money and invested in their health services instead the African economy wouldn’t be in this mess.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:00 - Jan 6 with 859 viewsWingstandwood

It looks great though

I shall compare them with some of Singleton Hospitals Gambia Project team who selflessly volunteer their time to go to places that are the total opposite of comfortable, modern and luxurious.

Aye and greedy, materialistic, sportscar driving mansion dwellers taking a knee with s0d all impact besides, that well and truly epitomises the vacuous shallowness of it all!

Argus!

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:06 - Jan 6 with 847 viewsTreforys_Jack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 18:34 - Jan 6 by Wingstandwood

Could you imagine what the impact would have been if all these glib multimillionaire footballers and others had shown genuine care by donating a fraction of their wages to black Africa?

Far more impactive and preferable to empty, soulless zero-end-product attention seeking!

Or make a real stand for human rights by not going to Qatar.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:22 - Jan 6 with 836 viewsWingstandwood

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:06 - Jan 6 by Treforys_Jack

Ahhhh Beckham, the master of the 'hit-and-run' flash photography photo opportunity. Do a few football keep-me-up's to a few black kids at an aid-camp then immediately p1ss off to leave the REAL aid work to the ones not looking for a knighthood!

Argus!

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:30 - Jan 6 with 827 viewsNotLoyal

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:06 - Jan 6 by Treforys_Jack

Footballers will lose any supposed principles if it means they play in a World Cup.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:33 - Jan 6 with 791 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:30 - Jan 6 by NotLoyal

Footballers will lose any supposed principles if it means they play in a World Cup.

Footballers with principles ? they are on about the same level as politicians in my eyes, flash the cash, and principles are out the window.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:42 - Jan 6 with 775 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 16:44 - Jan 6 by Gwyn737

I'm sure SirJohn has a far better handle on me than this, but my first reaction is no, the rulling won't make any difference to past or future trials.

The law has not been changed. New law has not been made.

It's a one off verdict from a jury trail.

It's not now fair game, it's not a slippery slope, its not the thin end of the wedge or any other of the Daily Mail type sensationalist sayings.

No legal standing at all, simply what the jury thought on the day. Crown court makes no law or precedent. Another jury could’ve convicted.

What is scary is Tory MPs questioning the role of juries as they didn’t agree with the verdict, (with none of them being there to hear any of the evidence), including p, Robert Buckland. Out of all people Jacob Rees Mogg said we need to respect the role of the jurors as cornerstone of our system.
Having spent a long time when newly qualified in the Magistrates court, with 3, often older daily mail type readers as magistrates, unqualified, it’s very worrying what this government want to do,
Login to get fewer ads

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:14 - Jan 6 with 741 viewsSirjohnalot

MP for Ipswich Tom Hunt told the Telegraph: "If you've broken the law and committed criminal damage you should be punished. If the jury is a barrier to ensuring they are punished then that needs to be addressed."

Very scary
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:25 - Jan 6 with 727 viewsSirjohnalot

As ever Secret Barrister sums it up better than me

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2022/01/06/do-the-verdicts-in-the-trial-of-the-co
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:32 - Jan 6 with 723 viewsFireboy2

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:14 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

MP for Ipswich Tom Hunt told the Telegraph: "If you've broken the law and committed criminal damage you should be punished. If the jury is a barrier to ensuring they are punished then that needs to be addressed."

Very scary

Wow 😳
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:49 - Jan 6 with 710 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:12 - Jan 5 by Sirjohnalot

https://thebristolcable.org/2021/12/colston-heavily-involved-in-britains-most-pr

Have a look at this. Can you imagine living in Bristol,and seeing the statue of this person everyday, knowing he was responsible or involved in the death of so many black people. The plaque on it, did Not mention anything to do with that, it praised him, celebrated his life.

If I was defending, I’d ask the jury to imagine that, especially if you’re black, if you had the opportunity, what would you do ? What was going through their minds, at that time, was it reasonable ? As the defence expert said ‘can you imagine if that was a statute of Hitler ?

On a side point, the Crown employed a QC to prosecute it ! Completely over the top. That’d have costs thousands.

Also goes to illustrate what I was saying about Capital punishment. Jury probably didn’t convict due to feeling sorry for them, a jury would likely not want to send someone to their death
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 20:17]

Spineless, apologist nonsense.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:53 - Jan 6 with 708 viewsmajorraglan

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:14 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

Very scary

Thanks for posting the article from the Secret Barrister, it’s a very interesting read.
I can understand why people are annoyed, when I heard the outcome I have to say I wasn’t entirely pleased and tbh I am still not, but the explanation from the Secret Barrister spells it out in detail. To be fair, the defence team have done their job well.

Hunt may be unhappy with the result, but his comments on trial by jury are well out of order.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:01 - Jan 6 with 702 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:49 - Jan 6 by Glossolalia

Spineless, apologist nonsense.

May. I ask which part is nonsense ? You may be right, won’t be the first time.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:21 - Jan 6 with 680 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:01 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

May. I ask which part is nonsense ? You may be right, won’t be the first time.

A spurious analogy to Hitler for one; and the condescending way bleeding-heart individuals such as yourself, justify breaking the law because feelings may be hurt. Go through the proper channels and have the statue removed, democratically, to a museum. That way, people can learn that, surprise surprise, morals and ethics shift - and usually towards egalitarianism.

Throwing the guy in a quay solved nothing and just encapsulates the emotionally imbalanced, cry baby far left. Grow up.

Again, and I've said this before: as a society, we are awful at anachronistically judging history's morals by today's standards. And you sir, perpetuate this myopic process with claptrap like that. Pardoning a group's actions because they may feel upset is first pathetic, and second, anathema to what an emotionally-balanced, grown adult should expect of his/her fellow man. Your viewpoint fundamentally supports reactionary, mob-like behaviour.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 22:23]
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:32 - Jan 6 with 659 viewsbuilthjack

It looks great though

That has changed over the last 20 years. I would say that around 20 years ago there were hardly any non whites around my local towns, Builth, Llandrindod, Rhayader, Brecon etc. A few Chinese takeaways but that was about it.
Now, I would estimate that about 10 - 15% are non white.
I honestly haven't come across any racism whatsoever towards anyone in my area.
People seem to just get on, whatever race or colour they are. Which is good.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:33 - Jan 6 with 657 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:21 - Jan 6 by Glossolalia

A spurious analogy to Hitler for one; and the condescending way bleeding-heart individuals such as yourself, justify breaking the law because feelings may be hurt. Go through the proper channels and have the statue removed, democratically, to a museum. That way, people can learn that, surprise surprise, morals and ethics shift - and usually towards egalitarianism.

Throwing the guy in a quay solved nothing and just encapsulates the emotionally imbalanced, cry baby far left. Grow up.

Again, and I've said this before: as a society, we are awful at anachronistically judging history's morals by today's standards. And you sir, perpetuate this myopic process with claptrap like that. Pardoning a group's actions because they may feel upset is first pathetic, and second, anathema to what an emotionally-balanced, grown adult should expect of his/her fellow man. Your viewpoint fundamentally supports reactionary, mob-like behaviour.

I’m talking about the law and the potential reasons behind the acquittal. My personal opinions are neither here nor there. Most of my practice is prosecuting.

I’ve prosecuted people I have sympathy with, and defended people I don’t like and hate their view point.

Do you think their barrister necessarily agreed with them ? Probably not. He was doing his job.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 22:36]
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:38 - Jan 6 with 640 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:23 - Jan 5 by Luther27

So you advocate the tearing down of for instance the statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oxford University?

Absolutely not,,I’d never tear something down I did not agree with. I wouldn’t go on marches, I’m not particularly political. I’ve a nice happy life with my wife and dog. Nothing particularly bothers me.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:39 - Jan 6 with 637 viewsTreforys_Jack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:21 - Jan 6 by Glossolalia

Don't agree with all that, but certainly do large parts, well put together and certainly highlights some issues within todays society. I think there was a campaign to remove the statue but was being fobbed off by the local council. Any controversial statues, place names, memorial's etc, should be decided by the local populace, not a rent a mob.
Judging standards from 50yrs ago to today is ludicrous let alone hundreds of yrs.

Don't think it was SirJohns view, I believe he was just quoting what was said, could be wrong mind.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:41 - Jan 6 with 627 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:39 - Jan 6 by Treforys_Jack

Don't agree with all that, but certainly do large parts, well put together and certainly highlights some issues within todays society. I think there was a campaign to remove the statue but was being fobbed off by the local council. Any controversial statues, place names, memorial's etc, should be decided by the local populace, not a rent a mob.
Judging standards from 50yrs ago to today is ludicrous let alone hundreds of yrs.

Don't think it was SirJohns view, I believe he was just quoting what was said, could be wrong mind.

I try never to give my personal view on legal stuff. What i morally think, doesn’t matter when advising a client or to a judge or jury.

Yes, I was just quoting what may have been argued, or what I’d have said. You tend to get a handle on how the jury are taking the evidence
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 22:43]
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:46 - Jan 6 with 618 viewsWhiterockin

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:41 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

I try never to give my personal view on legal stuff. What i morally think, doesn’t matter when advising a client or to a judge or jury.

Yes, I was just quoting what may have been argued, or what I’d have said. You tend to get a handle on how the jury are taking the evidence
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 22:43]

How do you feel if you get a not guilty verdict for one of you clients when you know they did it.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:47 - Jan 6 with 616 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:33 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

I’m talking about the law and the potential reasons behind the acquittal. My personal opinions are neither here nor there. Most of my practice is prosecuting.

I’ve prosecuted people I have sympathy with, and defended people I don’t like and hate their view point.

Do you think their barrister necessarily agreed with them ? Probably not. He was doing his job.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 22:36]

Your first paragraph gives enough of a window into your personal attitude, removed from a place of law. It's clear you've real sympathy for these criminal thugs, so instead of hiding behind your judicious mask, how about owning your blatantly apologist leanings.

I don't wanna speak to a lawyer mate - I'm after you, the person.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:53 - Jan 6 with 596 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:39 - Jan 6 by Treforys_Jack

What you say is very fair, but the eventuality of mob violence is no excuse regardless of how onerous or not this 'campaign' was, or even if it constituted one.

These social justice types will be remembered for two things - pronoun abuse and single use plastics. But on top of that, they'll be seen as hypocrites by our future selves, for thinking they have reached some moral zenith. Such a zenith, that they can look back at history and scowl, and judge, and tear down what is disagreeable. It's vomit-inducing.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:54 - Jan 6 with 596 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:47 - Jan 6 by Glossolalia

Your first paragraph gives enough of a window into your personal attitude, removed from a place of law. It's clear you've real sympathy for these criminal thugs, so instead of hiding behind your judicious mask, how about owning your blatantly apologist leanings.

I don't wanna speak to a lawyer mate - I'm after you, the person.

What make you think I’ve sympathy for them ? I didn’t hear the evidence, I did not hear what the defence expert said, I did no hear their explanations nor did I hear about the history behind the statue.

I’ve no idea if I’d have found them guilty or not as I was not in court. I’ve no sympathy or condemnation as I do not know the full facts. The twelve people that did, found them ‘not guilty’.

I’ve prosecuted a lot of protestor cases and was called a fascist by them, now I’m labelled an ‘apologist’
I must be doing something right.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:02 - Jan 6 with 585 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:54 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

What make you think I’ve sympathy for them ? I didn’t hear the evidence, I did not hear what the defence expert said, I did no hear their explanations nor did I hear about the history behind the statue.

I’ve no idea if I’d have found them guilty or not as I was not in court. I’ve no sympathy or condemnation as I do not know the full facts. The twelve people that did, found them ‘not guilty’.

I’ve prosecuted a lot of protestor cases and was called a fascist by them, now I’m labelled an ‘apologist’
I must be doing something right.

Essentially then, nothing you've said is your opinion, and as you reiterate, you've no notable feelings of sympathy or condemnation for those involved, or any feelings at all as you weren't physically in the courtroom. How wonderfully engaged I feel.

I don't see how the first paragraph that I quoted from you can be seen as anything but your personal attempt to rationalise irrational behaviour.

You must be the life and soul at the staff parties.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 23:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024