Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colston Statue vandals innocent 18:40 - Jan 5 with 15444 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston vandals are CLEARED: Gleeful BLM activists thank Banksy for his support after they are acquitted of criminal damage over toppling of Edward Colston statue - sparking outrage that jury has given a 'greenlight to political vandalism.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:05 - Jan 6 with 867 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:02 - Jan 6 by Glossolalia

Essentially then, nothing you've said is your opinion, and as you reiterate, you've no notable feelings of sympathy or condemnation for those involved, or any feelings at all as you weren't physically in the courtroom. How wonderfully engaged I feel.

I don't see how the first paragraph that I quoted from you can be seen as anything but your personal attempt to rationalise irrational behaviour.

You must be the life and soul at the staff parties.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 23:05]

Oh god.no. I’m incredibly unpopular.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:09 - Jan 6 with 854 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:05 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

Oh god.no. I’m incredibly unpopular.

Do you arrange your jams and spreads in alphabetical order? Count how many times you chew your food to thus guarantee optimal digestion? Have names for your socks?
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:11 - Jan 6 with 855 viewsFlashberryjack

Just seen that one of the acquitted activists is on Sky news is calling for more statues to be pulled down, by force if necessary.

As suspected, they now see the acquittal as a licence to vandalise other statues that they feel offends, I give up, I really do.

Hello

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:12 - Jan 6 with 853 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:46 - Jan 6 by Whiterockin

How do you feel if you get a not guilty verdict for one of you clients when you know they did it.

Very fair question, get asked it a lot. There’s a difference between thinking they’ve done it, but them saying they haven’t and having to follow their instructions and running a trial. In a serious case, like say domestic violence or a sex matter, getting a not guilty verdict when you think they’re guilty is horrible. You drive home feeling bad but knowing you had to do it. I still wake up now sometimes thinking about them. But you can’t let it get to you or you’d not last.

Likewise, I’ve successfully prosecuted people I didn’t think were guilty. It’s the same horrible feeling. Perhaps worse, but no one ever asks that.

If a client tells you they’re guilty but want to run a trial and Cross examine etc. you are professionally embarrassed and have to withdraw. You cannot mislead the court.

We have to follow instructions be it from the prosecution or the client. Otherwise no one would take on the horrible cases. We are professionally obliged to take every case we’re given. We don’t pick and chose, solicitors or the cps ask for us.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 23:20]
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:18 - Jan 6 with 842 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:09 - Jan 6 by Glossolalia

Do you arrange your jams and spreads in alphabetical order? Count how many times you chew your food to thus guarantee optimal digestion? Have names for your socks?

Ha, no, I’m very messy. No special food for marathon training, normally have odd socks, Iike my scuba diving, couple of extreme sports when I was younger. Just don’t spout off my personal opinion on lots of stuff. I like listening to what people say and find different view points fascinating.

I’m pretty chilled ‘live and let live’. Life is too short to hold grudges. If people think I’m a lefty or whatever, more power to them. It’s all good.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:24 - Jan 6 with 824 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:18 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

Ha, no, I’m very messy. No special food for marathon training, normally have odd socks, Iike my scuba diving, couple of extreme sports when I was younger. Just don’t spout off my personal opinion on lots of stuff. I like listening to what people say and find different view points fascinating.

I’m pretty chilled ‘live and let live’. Life is too short to hold grudges. If people think I’m a lefty or whatever, more power to them. It’s all good.

I get you, really. We are here for different reasons and choose to divulge what we wish.

But you certainly won't be top of my list when I ask for people's opinions on here! You're too chilled for me mate!
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:29 - Jan 6 with 821 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 15:55 - Jan 6 by controversial_jack

Why were there concerns over a jury made up from Bristolians, would ppl from Bath or Birmingham feel any different?

As Sir John pointed out, a jury can decide whatever it wants. If it feels that it was justified , then justified it is.

I know nothing about the jurors. It was a concern raised by another poster so you would have to ask him. If there were genuine concerns then the trial has to be moved/jurors selected with no concerns.

It’s a very strange decision isn’t it, let’s be clear. Regardless of the nonsense posturing going on by the rabid left… they vandalised something quite publicly and were found innocent of committing that crime.

The anarchists and the teenage democrat types will be overjoyed because it means they can rebel and destroy and be above the law. It’s a very dangerous path to go down. Very dangerous.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:35 - Jan 6 with 812 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 16:44 - Jan 6 by Gwyn737

I'm sure SirJohn has a far better handle on me than this, but my first reaction is no, the rulling won't make any difference to past or future trials.

The law has not been changed. New law has not been made.

It's a one off verdict from a jury trail.

It's not now fair game, it's not a slippery slope, its not the thin end of the wedge or any other of the Daily Mail type sensationalist sayings.

But why won’t it have any impact? If the arguments used against this is that they were somehow traumatised by seeing a charity worker from 400 years ago as a statue, because at the time he and everyone else was involved in the slave trade… then what is stopping someone smashing up Mercedes garages for the same reason… but instead of 400 years ago, try 80.

If this is the sense of logic behind people these days, which a jury is. Then all this criminality will be put down to some nonsense trauma linked to something bad centuries ago. While the law hasn’t changed, you will be able to evade punishment due to the ideals coming from America and sweeping large parts of the idiotic across the world.

Law is only worthy of being called a law if when proven you have done it you are then found guilty.

Login to get fewer ads

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:38 - Jan 6 with 807 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:24 - Jan 6 by Glossolalia

I get you, really. We are here for different reasons and choose to divulge what we wish.

But you certainly won't be top of my list when I ask for people's opinions on here! You're too chilled for me mate!

Fair enough. Enjoyed the chat, have a lonely evening
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:40 - Jan 6 with 803 viewsGlossolalia

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:29 - Jan 6 by Dr_Parnassus

I know nothing about the jurors. It was a concern raised by another poster so you would have to ask him. If there were genuine concerns then the trial has to be moved/jurors selected with no concerns.

It’s a very strange decision isn’t it, let’s be clear. Regardless of the nonsense posturing going on by the rabid left… they vandalised something quite publicly and were found innocent of committing that crime.

The anarchists and the teenage democrat types will be overjoyed because it means they can rebel and destroy and be above the law. It’s a very dangerous path to go down. Very dangerous.

This baffling appeasement will soon come back to bite us, probably with a spate of statue abuse and general thuggery. And what then? The precedent from this decision will come in handy for the fanatical, posturing, pseudo anti-fascists. A green light for statuecide.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:42 - Jan 6 with 793 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:11 - Jan 6 by Flashberryjack

Just seen that one of the acquitted activists is on Sky news is calling for more statues to be pulled down, by force if necessary.

As suspected, they now see the acquittal as a licence to vandalise other statues that they feel offends, I give up, I really do.

And there it is.

It wasn’t going to take long before people look at this case and feel they can do what they like as long as they can provide a defence that they didn’t like what “they feel” it stands for. It’s a case that will undoubtedly encourage more criminality, don’t see how anyone can see it any different.

Anyone defending this mob needs their heads read.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 00:01 - Jan 7 with 768 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:42 - Jan 6 by Dr_Parnassus

And there it is.

It wasn’t going to take long before people look at this case and feel they can do what they like as long as they can provide a defence that they didn’t like what “they feel” it stands for. It’s a case that will undoubtedly encourage more criminality, don’t see how anyone can see it any different.

Anyone defending this mob needs their heads read.

"Anyone defending this mob needs their heads read"

There are plenty, unfortunately.

Hello

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 06:48 - Jan 7 with 697 viewsWhiterockin

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:12 - Jan 6 by Sirjohnalot

Very fair question, get asked it a lot. There’s a difference between thinking they’ve done it, but them saying they haven’t and having to follow their instructions and running a trial. In a serious case, like say domestic violence or a sex matter, getting a not guilty verdict when you think they’re guilty is horrible. You drive home feeling bad but knowing you had to do it. I still wake up now sometimes thinking about them. But you can’t let it get to you or you’d not last.

Likewise, I’ve successfully prosecuted people I didn’t think were guilty. It’s the same horrible feeling. Perhaps worse, but no one ever asks that.

If a client tells you they’re guilty but want to run a trial and Cross examine etc. you are professionally embarrassed and have to withdraw. You cannot mislead the court.

We have to follow instructions be it from the prosecution or the client. Otherwise no one would take on the horrible cases. We are professionally obliged to take every case we’re given. We don’t pick and chose, solicitors or the cps ask for us.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 23:20]

Thanks for the reply, you probably see and hear things that would give us nightmares. Rather you than me.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 07:13 - Jan 7 with 672 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 06:48 - Jan 7 by Whiterockin

Thanks for the reply, you probably see and hear things that would give us nightmares. Rather you than me.

But you do also rep people who you believe are not guilty and when they’re acquitted it’s a great feeling. I had a chap who’d been remanded and the night before the verdict had nearly killed his elf. He told me ‘you saved my life’

Prosecuting domestic violence is very satisfying and sometimes being able to help someone with a horrendous background of sexual abuse and drug use is very fulfilling. You do learn that people commit offences for all sorts of reasons. Those that are just greedy or violent to others with mental health problem.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 07:26 - Jan 7 with 643 viewsGwyn737

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:35 - Jan 6 by Dr_Parnassus

But why won’t it have any impact? If the arguments used against this is that they were somehow traumatised by seeing a charity worker from 400 years ago as a statue, because at the time he and everyone else was involved in the slave trade… then what is stopping someone smashing up Mercedes garages for the same reason… but instead of 400 years ago, try 80.

If this is the sense of logic behind people these days, which a jury is. Then all this criminality will be put down to some nonsense trauma linked to something bad centuries ago. While the law hasn’t changed, you will be able to evade punishment due to the ideals coming from America and sweeping large parts of the idiotic across the world.

Law is only worthy of being called a law if when proven you have done it you are then found guilty.

It won’t have any impact in that the law will continue to be applied.

If some numpties see it as a free pass to destroy stuff they don’t like then they’re wrong.

It’s not as if the jury’s decisions has given the go ahead for vigilantism. It hasn’t.

FWIW I think they should have been punished and vigilantism is not ok. Unless you’re Batman.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 07:34 - Jan 7 with 640 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 07:26 - Jan 7 by Gwyn737

It won’t have any impact in that the law will continue to be applied.

If some numpties see it as a free pass to destroy stuff they don’t like then they’re wrong.

It’s not as if the jury’s decisions has given the go ahead for vigilantism. It hasn’t.

FWIW I think they should have been punished and vigilantism is not ok. Unless you’re Batman.

Or Kyle Rittenhouse.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:04 - Jan 7 with 614 viewscontroversial_jack

If it glorifies slavery and the misery it caused to thousands then pull them all down
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:13 - Jan 7 with 608 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:04 - Jan 7 by controversial_jack

If it glorifies slavery and the misery it caused to thousands then pull them all down

Can we now destroy all the roman ruins in the UK . After all the Romans were involved in the slave trade for at least 700 years far longer than the British who led the way on abolishing the slave trade, while of course it still carried on in Africa.

Can we now also freely attack any American institutions as all their founding fathers including Washington were slave owners.
They did not get around to abolishing slavery until 1860 even then it carried on in most southern states until the 1960 when civil rights were extended to all.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:18 - Jan 7 with 603 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:04 - Jan 7 by controversial_jack

It didn’t though did it? It was erected for Colstons huge charity work. It wasn’t glorifying slavery, ridiculous comment.

Should we smash up Mercedes cars? If not, why not.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:23 - Jan 7 with 601 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:13 - Jan 7 by felixstowe_jack

Can we now destroy all the roman ruins in the UK . After all the Romans were involved in the slave trade for at least 700 years far longer than the British who led the way on abolishing the slave trade, while of course it still carried on in Africa.

Can we now also freely attack any American institutions as all their founding fathers including Washington were slave owners.
They did not get around to abolishing slavery until 1860 even then it carried on in most southern states until the 1960 when civil rights were extended to all.

All roads should be smashed to bits if found to have Roman foundations.

The beautiful City of Bath needs to be demolished and burned to the ground.

The Pyramids needs to de destroyed with immediate effect.

The name Swansea needs to be changed immediately as it was named after Sweyn the Viking who was responsible for the death of countless people as he ravaged new lands.

Anyone backing the verdict here yet not lobbying for the above is a hypocrite.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:59 - Jan 7 with 583 viewsCatullus

Question, who on her is actually fuming about this AND didn't object to the Capitol Hill riots?

A few observations.

This won't have changed the law but what will certain people now be thinking? The rent a mob type may well think this is a green light to commit more acts of vandalism. Morally speaking taking the statue down was right but the way it was done was wrong.

The post about Singleton hospital staff Gambia project?) struck a chord. My gastroenterologist (Dr Ch'ng, absolutely wonderful man) used to take his annual leave all in one go and fly off to India to volunteer in a very large hospital there. For context, if Morriston sees 600 outpatients per day, this Indian hospital sees 6000! I dont know if he still does but he gave his time freely.

Premier league footballers, one or two notable exceptions here but it seems to me many of them are self indulgent, preening peacocks who don't do anything without publicity and the chance to increase their already phenomenal earnings. Good publicity after all might bring a new sponsor in. There's not much a corporation likes more than good publicity, besides profit of course and good publicity is good for raising profits.

Whatever the legal ramifications of this decision are, the message it sends out isn't very good, is it? I wonder if any activists will be heading to Denbigh to tear down the statue of Stanley which the residents voted to keep? personally I'd have voted to remove it,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/stanley_sir_henry_morton.shtml

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:09 - Jan 7 with 570 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:59 - Jan 7 by Catullus

Question, who on her is actually fuming about this AND didn't object to the Capitol Hill riots?

A few observations.

This won't have changed the law but what will certain people now be thinking? The rent a mob type may well think this is a green light to commit more acts of vandalism. Morally speaking taking the statue down was right but the way it was done was wrong.

The post about Singleton hospital staff Gambia project?) struck a chord. My gastroenterologist (Dr Ch'ng, absolutely wonderful man) used to take his annual leave all in one go and fly off to India to volunteer in a very large hospital there. For context, if Morriston sees 600 outpatients per day, this Indian hospital sees 6000! I dont know if he still does but he gave his time freely.

Premier league footballers, one or two notable exceptions here but it seems to me many of them are self indulgent, preening peacocks who don't do anything without publicity and the chance to increase their already phenomenal earnings. Good publicity after all might bring a new sponsor in. There's not much a corporation likes more than good publicity, besides profit of course and good publicity is good for raising profits.

Whatever the legal ramifications of this decision are, the message it sends out isn't very good, is it? I wonder if any activists will be heading to Denbigh to tear down the statue of Stanley which the residents voted to keep? personally I'd have voted to remove it,

You mean to say you believe some people on here didn’t object to the Capitol Hill riot? Who?

I don’t think I’ve read a single post in this forum from anyone backing that event. It was just as bad as the year of rioting we saw before it, anyone rioting and causing damage deserves custodial punishment.

Think you are being a bit silly there again Cat.

Anyone who was outraged by the Capitol Hill riots that was not outraged by the year of riots before it has no leg to stand on. I said that at the time and stand by it.

But your inaccurate baiting aside… it will of course send out an awful message as it appears it already has done judging from the interview reported on Sky News calling for more of the same.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:12 - Jan 7 with 570 viewsBoundy

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 09:59 - Jan 7 by Catullus

A few observations.

I did mention that a precedent was being set, maybe not in a legal sense but certainly one which a few will try to claim when Pictons monument for example is targeted .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:19 - Jan 7 with 566 viewsSuperjan

As already has been said the decision of the jury was based on the evidence and argument that they heard in Court . We don’t know who was on the jury , their backgrounds , their occupations , their ethnicity . They were twelve people picked at random from a larger pool of potential jurors . Ultimately whether an individual not involved in the process doesn’t like their decision then unfortunately for them they have to accept it . The jury performed the role that they were picked to do . It is clear that the facts of the case are unusual to say the least and the defendants were entitled to be tried by their peers . Which is again exactly what happened. A precedent hasn’t been set , a jury in a different part of the country dealing with a similar incident may convict , a different twelve in Bristol may have convicted .
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:20 - Jan 7 with 564 viewsCatullus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 10:12 - Jan 7 by Boundy

I did mention that a precedent was being set, maybe not in a legal sense but certainly one which a few will try to claim when Pictons monument for example is targeted .

yes, I took your point and agree with it. Not making a change legally I understand but what the message is to the 'activists' is far more troubling.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024