Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The next motoring scandal 09:10 - Feb 7 with 3871 viewsCatullus

It's already been said on here by some smart person (Not me, definitely not) but the drive for electric cars is an eco sham, the next diesel scandal and this news story though it is in the Daily mail seems to capture it perfectly,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/are-electric-cars-the-new-diesel-scandal-wai

Electric cars are not the future we want or need, most of us cannot afford them and anyway, they will not do anything to save the planet and the need for mining rare materials means they will cause the destruction of habitat.

Hybrid cars and then maybe hydrogen cars (when the tech gets there) are a better answer.
Damningly for any government that's pushing E cars as a policy, 90% of E car owners also own a diesel or petrol car to use for longer journeys and even with heavy subsidies still only the top earners can afford these cars without making sacrifices.

I can't afford one right now and I don't want one in 2030 either, a hybrid yes but because electric cars are so heavy they cause extra wear and tear, emitting more pollutants from tyres and brakes AND the experts think they will kill more people in any accidents because of the extra weight.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The next motoring scandal on 09:21 - Feb 7 with 2384 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

They used to say there was a massive surge during the ad break of coronation street when millions got up to put the kettle on. How do we think the grid is going to cope when 50 million motorists arrive home and plug both their cars in overnight?
The next motoring scandal on 09:38 - Feb 7 with 2361 viewsProfessor

Not going to work without a complete infrastructure and more efficient cars. Hybrids are a sensible move especially using energy recovery (MHEV set ups like Ford, Hyundai and Suzuki) or motion (Toyota etc.) that increase efficiency and power are sensible and not out of financial reach (18K for my MHEV i20) compared to full electric.

Hydrogen fuel cells are a long way off in terms of weight and safe use. Also some energy cost in production of hydrogen (which I guess will have to come from electrolysis of water). The government target is ridiculous unless enormous investment is made.

And I have had a potful of idiots in Teslas on the school run. Seemingly replacing the Audi as the badge of choice for the selfish and inconsiderate.
The next motoring scandal on 09:52 - Feb 7 with 2344 viewsbritferry

they make Hydrogen from coal or gas

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

The next motoring scandal on 09:52 - Feb 7 with 2342 viewsCatullus

The next motoring scandal on 09:38 - Feb 7 by Professor

Not going to work without a complete infrastructure and more efficient cars. Hybrids are a sensible move especially using energy recovery (MHEV set ups like Ford, Hyundai and Suzuki) or motion (Toyota etc.) that increase efficiency and power are sensible and not out of financial reach (18K for my MHEV i20) compared to full electric.

Hydrogen fuel cells are a long way off in terms of weight and safe use. Also some energy cost in production of hydrogen (which I guess will have to come from electrolysis of water). The government target is ridiculous unless enormous investment is made.

And I have had a potful of idiots in Teslas on the school run. Seemingly replacing the Audi as the badge of choice for the selfish and inconsiderate.

In all honesty, Prof, I don't want to be driving in 2030. I'll be 62/63, my son will be 21/22. he can have a car. I'll be getting my shopping delivered and I think if anything, I'll invest in a good E bike. As soon as my wife can take early retirement, that's it and 2030 looks like a good year. She can get a part time job too because that's all we'll need. We can probably manage with public transport by then. If we really need a car for anything, I'll hire one for however long we need but save the money the rest of the time.

Driving is not fun anymore, the roads are too crowded and with these new rule changes it's only getting worse.

Never mind electric cars, as soon as I can feasibly ditch the car, it's going.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The next motoring scandal on 10:01 - Feb 7 with 2336 viewsProfessor

The next motoring scandal on 09:52 - Feb 7 by britferry

they make Hydrogen from coal or gas

Well that defeats the object then. Completely. To split the hydrocarbon chain will release carbon oxides.
The next motoring scandal on 10:09 - Feb 7 with 2326 viewsonehunglow

I would be 80 in 2030.
I d like an electric car and can afford one but it’s the charging points that bother me

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The next motoring scandal on 10:11 - Feb 7 with 2319 viewsProfessor

The next motoring scandal on 09:52 - Feb 7 by Catullus

In all honesty, Prof, I don't want to be driving in 2030. I'll be 62/63, my son will be 21/22. he can have a car. I'll be getting my shopping delivered and I think if anything, I'll invest in a good E bike. As soon as my wife can take early retirement, that's it and 2030 looks like a good year. She can get a part time job too because that's all we'll need. We can probably manage with public transport by then. If we really need a car for anything, I'll hire one for however long we need but save the money the rest of the time.

Driving is not fun anymore, the roads are too crowded and with these new rule changes it's only getting worse.

I'm a year younger than you Cat. But absolutely no chance of retirement unless the universities pension scheme (USS) has complete change of trustees and policy.
The next motoring scandal on 10:15 - Feb 7 with 2312 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 09:52 - Feb 7 by Catullus

I learned to drive a car at 14 ,on a farm,a motor bike at 13. I have driven since 1966 on public roads .losing my car ,even now,is unthinkable,
Public transport ….not for me

Login to get fewer ads

The next motoring scandal on 10:15 - Feb 7 with 2312 viewsCatullus

The next motoring scandal on 10:09 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

I would be 80 in 2030.
I d like an electric car and can afford one but it’s the charging points that bother me

When 2030 comes I have no doubt we could afford an electric car but like you, the charging point would be an issue. We live in a terraced with a reasonable front garden before the pavement, we'd probably have to have the garden dug out to make a parking spot and I'm not keen on that. We have no rear access for a car and to get that we'd need to negotiate with a neighbour (buy them off to get access over their concreted garden) and probably have about a third of our garden concreted over. I like the big green space we have, I like the trees and bushes at the end, the birds singing, it's relaxing.

The next motoring scandal on 10:24 - Feb 7 with 2303 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 10:15 - Feb 7 by Catullus

When 2030 comes I have no doubt we could afford an electric car but like you, the charging point would be an issue. We live in a terraced with a reasonable front garden before the pavement, we'd probably have to have the garden dug out to make a parking spot and I'm not keen on that. We have no rear access for a car and to get that we'd need to negotiate with a neighbour (buy them off to get access over their concreted garden) and probably have about a third of our garden concreted over. I like the big green space we have, I like the trees and bushes at the end, the birds singing, it's relaxing.

Morning.

Right now, I was thinking about getting an electric SUV.

Now,I ain’t so sure.My xcurrent diesel is lovely,30 k miles since new .

We do max of 6000 mls per year especially as I rarely go to Swansea if I can help it .

I won’t travel public transport apart from getting the train to Liverpool..

Son in law has a 2008 peugeot electric and has all the charging facilities in his garage . He s well sold on them.

This article very interesting indeed.

The next motoring scandal on 10:52 - Feb 7 with 2268 viewsraynor94

The next motoring scandal on 10:24 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

Morning.

We do max of 6000 mls per year especially as I rarely go to Swansea if I can help it .

Son in law has a 2008 peugeot electric and has all the charging facilities in his garage . He s well sold on them.

Fair play, you cleverly put in your dislike of Swansea in a motoring thread, and you wonder why people wind you up over Liverpool.

Which by the way I think is great City

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The next motoring scandal on 11:13 - Feb 7 with 2245 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The next motoring scandal on 10:24 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

Morning.

Low mileage drivers need to look at the cost / benefit in CO2 terms of replacing their car with a new electric one. The CO2 cost of making a new car and scrapping an old one needs to be taken into consideration. Electric cars also have a CO2 footprint for charging up.
Currently my small car which I drive for only 3 or 4 thousand miles would take ten years to pay back if I replaced it.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The next motoring scandal on 11:18 - Feb 7 with 2240 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 10:52 - Feb 7 by raynor94

Fair play, you cleverly put in your dislike of Swansea in a motoring thread, and you wonder why people wind you up over Liverpool.

Which by the way I think is great City

Wrong.
I avoid travelling back to Swansea purely because of ( broken) family issues.
After my father died ,there was significant fall out and frankly,it’s irreparable .
I feel very uncomfortable in Swansea .
Maybe you can relay this to lifey etc to save them the trouble of posting more of this crap.
As regards Liverpool,it is you who bring it up ,even in this thread.
And no ,people do not post as you suggest . If it was the reason then it is theybwho are being wound up,as are you ,evidenced by any thing perceived negative of Swansea . Yiu don’t get it ,do you?

My memories of my home town as a young man are pleasant and they have sustained me at times . I know what Jacks are like and they are not the narrow minded villagers that drag us down.

Now, got that .?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 11:23]

The next motoring scandal on 11:29 - Feb 7 with 2230 viewshowenjack

The next motoring scandal on 11:18 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

Wrong.
I avoid travelling back to Swansea purely because of ( broken) family issues.
After my father died ,there was significant fall out and frankly,it’s irreparable .
I feel very uncomfortable in Swansea .
Maybe you can relay this to lifey etc to save them the trouble of posting more of this crap.
As regards Liverpool,it is you who bring it up ,even in this thread.
And no ,people do not post as you suggest . If it was the reason then it is theybwho are being wound up,as are you ,evidenced by any thing perceived negative of Swansea . Yiu don’t get it ,do you?

My memories of my home town as a young man are pleasant and they have sustained me at times . I know what Jacks are like and they are not the narrow minded villagers that drag us down.

Now, got that .?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 11:23]

Clean those halcyon goggles , give the skid lid a once over get those leathers on and kick that bonneville into life _ you know it makes sense.
The next motoring scandal on 11:41 - Feb 7 with 2219 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 11:29 - Feb 7 by howenjack

Clean those halcyon goggles , give the skid lid a once over get those leathers on and kick that bonneville into life _ you know it makes sense.

Lol.mate.
Last bike I had was a Honda Blackbird . A licence killer.

I sold it all as it wasn’t being used enough.

I sold everything including my still impressive Police Issue Boots

I was tempted to get a MV Augusta as a late in life indulgence but wifey saw her backside

The next motoring scandal on 12:06 - Feb 7 with 2205 viewsPawelAbbott

I used to have a hybrid PHEV.
Charge it up overnight and it would manage 10 miles on the battery. Then the thirsty petrol engine would kick in.
Until they improve considerably on that efficiency then its only making issues worse.
The next motoring scandal on 12:11 - Feb 7 with 2195 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 12:06 - Feb 7 by PawelAbbott

Charge it up overnight and it would manage 10 miles on the battery. Then the thirsty petrol engine would kick in.
Until they improve considerably on that efficiency then its only making issues worse.

I’m thinking hybrid is half way house

The next motoring scandal on 12:45 - Feb 7 with 2173 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The next motoring scandal on 12:06 - Feb 7 by PawelAbbott

There is no need to use a thirsty petrol engine though, diesels provide very good fuel consumption.

I am surprised that more of the manufacturers have tried a Hybrid set up that uses continually charging technology where the engine runs at it's most efficient revs at constant load and is only used for continually charging the battery, they are known as range extender EVs.
Something similar to the Honda electricity generators on board the car.
The next motoring scandal on 12:59 - Feb 7 with 2164 viewsProfessor

The next motoring scandal on 12:11 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

I’m thinking hybrid is half way house

It certainly is-worth having a look at the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid.

Tell them I sent you at Cheshire Oaks and they may put the price up!
The next motoring scandal on 13:07 - Feb 7 with 2164 viewslifelong

Tesla has already sold a million electric cars in the US and 36,000 in the UK.

Full on electric cars are still in their infancy, without doubt the technology will improve over the near future with batteries being increased in power and reduced in size. Diesel and petrol vehicle’s days are numbered in my humble opinion.
The next motoring scandal on 13:19 - Feb 7 with 2153 viewsProfessor

The next motoring scandal on 13:07 - Feb 7 by lifelong

Full on electric cars are still in their infancy, without doubt the technology will improve over the near future with batteries being increased in power and reduced in size. Diesel and petrol vehicle’s days are numbered in my humble opinion.

You are right, but the cost of a Tesla 3 at 42K is not affordable to many. Neither is there the infrastructure in most of the UK. It will happen, but 2030 is unrealistic
The next motoring scandal on 13:31 - Feb 7 with 2145 viewshowenjack

The next motoring scandal on 11:41 - Feb 7 by onehunglow

Lol.mate.
Last bike I had was a Honda Blackbird . A licence killer.

I sold it all as it wasn’t being used enough.

I sold everything including my still impressive Police Issue Boots

I was tempted to get a MV Augusta as a late in life indulgence but wifey saw her backside

The new Royal Enfields are nice , made in India not Redditch .BSA are bringing out the new Gold Star . It will be made in Solihull but again , Indian owned . The motorcycle industry sadly has gone full circle .When you think of these marques Norton BSA Ariel Panther Brough Superior (though these have been revived recently in a guise that bears little resemblance to the old models ) Vincent Douglas Sunbeam etc we led the world in motorcycling excellence. Theres nothing that beats the sound of an old British thumper on a hot Summers day.
The next motoring scandal on 13:51 - Feb 7 with 2124 viewsonehunglow

The next motoring scandal on 13:31 - Feb 7 by howenjack

The new Royal Enfields are nice , made in India not Redditch .BSA are bringing out the new Gold Star . It will be made in Solihull but again , Indian owned . The motorcycle industry sadly has gone full circle .When you think of these marques Norton BSA Ariel Panther Brough Superior (though these have been revived recently in a guise that bears little resemblance to the old models ) Vincent Douglas Sunbeam etc we led the world in motorcycling excellence. Theres nothing that beats the sound of an old British thumper on a hot Summers day.

I don’t know you and we ve never met but I want to be your chum

The next motoring scandal on 14:09 - Feb 7 with 2101 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The next motoring scandal on 13:07 - Feb 7 by lifelong

"Electric cars in their infancy "

Only over 150 years in development.
The next motoring scandal on 15:10 - Feb 7 with 2056 viewsDr_Winston

The next motoring scandal on 13:19 - Feb 7 by Professor

You are right, but the cost of a Tesla 3 at 42K is not affordable to many. Neither is there the infrastructure in most of the UK. It will happen, but 2030 is unrealistic

This.

They may be able to stick to that deadline for banning sales of new vehicles, but it'll be far from the end of petrol. The infrastructure won't be in place and rising energy costs (allied to plans to replace fuel duty no doubt already being cooked up) will only result in a booming trade in second hand ICE vehicles.

A lot of people are going to be trying to make their older cars run for longer rather than go electric.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024