Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dissent in football 19:38 - Mar 27 with 995 viewsGwyn737

In a week where the Welsh FA, players and fans have shown what a joyous game football can be, I’ve finished the weekend despondent at what I’ve seen at grassroots level.

It’s finals weekend in my area and as the weather has been so nice, I’ve watched a number of games from under 11’s right up to vets. What they’ve all have had in common, is players, coaches and fans haranguing, threatening and abusing referees and linesmen.

This has to be fixed or there’ll not be enough people willing to officiate to run amateur leagues.

I can’t for the life of me understand why it’s not being sorted out. What’s the answer?
Dissent in football on 20:37 - Mar 27 with 956 viewsLorax

I've seen this going on for decades and it has all spread from professional football. They see their heroes doing it and the kids copy them. They grow up thinking it's acceptable.
A lack of referees was a problem in the Swansea league 30 years back and there were many "games of 2 halves" where one from each team would ref a half and there was blatant cheating.
It's sad to know it's still going on, even at U11's. mind you, some parents are to blame too, shouting and swearing at refs in their kids games.
Dissent in football on 20:49 - Mar 27 with 945 viewsTreforys_Jack

As cat says I've been saying it for years as well, it needs to start at the very top. If kids see Harry Kane and co showing respect to the officials, it'll filter down, Only the Captain should be allowed to speak the ref. Play acting is another area that should be cleaned up, retrospective punishment for anyone play acting that hurts the team not the individual. The stopping of quick free kicks has crept back in over the last few seasons, it was an instant yellow card a few years ago, this allowed the game to flow, but now there is just blatant blocking or standing on the ball to prevent any quick advantage.
Dissent in football on 20:49 - Mar 27 with 944 viewsKilkennyjack

Move them back 10 yards for dissent.
Every time.

Then they can answer to their managers, not the ref.
Keep chopsing, then keep going back another 10 yards.
The managers would sort it in a month.

If its the parents/fans, stop the game until the team respinsible get them away from the pitch.
If they dont move, then the game is abandoned.
Again the managers would sort it.

Beware of the Risen People

Dissent in football on 20:53 - Mar 27 with 941 viewsLorax

Dissent in football on 20:49 - Mar 27 by Kilkennyjack

Every time.

If its the parents/fans, stop the game until the team respinsible get them away from the pitch.

That used to happen, they tried it but the powers that be then scrapped it. Probably upset too many big name managers and players.
Dissent in football on 21:13 - Mar 27 with 928 viewsGwyn737

I don’t think the 10 yard rule helps, it can make a free kick more difficult.

I think it has to be dealt with through cards. If it’s groups of players surrounding refs it could be points deductions.
Dissent in football on 21:45 - Mar 27 with 910 viewsKilkennyjack

Dissent in football on 21:13 - Mar 27 by Gwyn737

I don’t think the 10 yard rule helps, it can make a free kick more difficult.

I think it has to be dealt with through cards. If it’s groups of players surrounding refs it could be points deductions.

Yes, but mostly it would work.

I guess if they did not want the extra 10 yards then it could be moved sideways if that was an advantage.

We need to shift the friction from player and ref, to player and manager.
See Brian Clough.

Beware of the Risen People

Dissent in football on 22:06 - Mar 27 with 898 viewsTreforys_Jack

Dissent in football on 21:45 - Mar 27 by Kilkennyjack

Yes, but mostly it would work.

I guess if they did not want the extra 10 yards then it could be moved sideways if that was an advantage.

We need to shift the friction from player and ref, to player and manager.
See Brian Clough.

About time you came up with a decent post
Dissent in football on 07:31 - Mar 28 with 841 viewsKeithHaynes

Dissent in football on 20:49 - Mar 27 by Kilkennyjack

Every time.

I remember when football tried it, but they messed with the rule and would only implement it if there was an infringement. Rugby has it spot on in this case. So the abuse, shouting and theatrics continued and the FA said it doesn’t work.

Had they stuck with it it could well have eradicated certain behaviours.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Dissent in football on 10:18 - Mar 28 with 787 viewsBoundy

Dissent in football on 07:31 - Mar 28 by KeithHaynes

I remember when football tried it, but they messed with the rule and would only implement it if there was an infringement. Rugby has it spot on in this case. So the abuse, shouting and theatrics continued and the FA said it doesn’t work.

After watching a game yesterday I can understand the frustration towards "officials " I don't mean some dad willing to take the whistle but miked up full on officials which spoiled an entertaining game based on their incompetence and some may say cheating . We moan about the likes of Stroud for example but the what went on yesterday was as equally as bad

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Dissent in football on 10:25 - Mar 28 with 780 viewsonehunglow

Rugby Union and League have thi dead right.Only captain questions and then he' basically told to knob off.
The worst I can think of is that filthy Man Utd outfit with Keane haranguing referees clearly to intimidate ,instigated by Ferguson of course. It was sickening to see referees actually walking backwards from players when they should have been going forward with a red card.

I remember a rugby game I played in when I was mid fifties and a friendly against a French 15 when the ref came into the changing room and ripped into us all. I am the referee,do not forget that.Any backchat and you lose ground;carry on and you leave the field of play. Do you understand that ? Yes Sir.

Football refs are bottle merchants and create their own problems. Ferguson ruined the game in this regard as did Mourinho. Shocking really and their legacy is what we see now.

If I were a ref,I would have chinned Roy Keane ,then left the field of play to nut Ferguson before retiring.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Dissent in football on 10:55 - Mar 28 with 760 viewsKeithHaynes

Dissent in football on 10:25 - Mar 28 by onehunglow

Rugby Union and League have thi dead right.Only captain questions and then he' basically told to knob off.
The worst I can think of is that filthy Man Utd outfit with Keane haranguing referees clearly to intimidate ,instigated by Ferguson of course. It was sickening to see referees actually walking backwards from players when they should have been going forward with a red card.

I remember a rugby game I played in when I was mid fifties and a friendly against a French 15 when the ref came into the changing room and ripped into us all. I am the referee,do not forget that.Any backchat and you lose ground;carry on and you leave the field of play. Do you understand that ? Yes Sir.

Football refs are bottle merchants and create their own problems. Ferguson ruined the game in this regard as did Mourinho. Shocking really and their legacy is what we see now.

If I were a ref,I would have chinned Roy Keane ,then left the field of play to nut Ferguson before retiring.

Retiring in a cell, but it maybe would have been worth it. 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Dissent in football on 11:39 - Mar 28 with 738 viewsonehunglow

Dissent in football on 10:55 - Mar 28 by KeithHaynes

Retiring in a cell, but it maybe would have been worth it. 😂

lol.

jonalot would have been my Brief. We'd have been found not guilty.

Where is the offence of smacking a scumbag who assaults his paperboy.

As for Fergie, ey what-come on .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Dissent in football on 13:37 - Mar 28 with 710 viewsshandyjack

I coach girls under 14's team and it couldn't be more different. Just as competitive but there is a mutual respect between everyone, players,coaches officials that you don't see at the same level in the boys game. Think it may be to do with the girls just do it for enjoyment not and don't all have the dream they can make it to the PL and parents pushing them to make it, seeing it as a meal ticket.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Dissent in football on 14:27 - Mar 28 with 694 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Rugy has another major advantage over football, the Sin Bin where the dissenters lose a player for a period.
Using Rugby reffing tactics would soon clear up the game, but it takes resolve and guts to do so.
Dissent in football on 14:52 - Mar 28 with 676 viewsTreforys_Jack

Dissent in football on 14:27 - Mar 28 by A_Fans_Dad

Rugy has another major advantage over football, the Sin Bin where the dissenters lose a player for a period.
Using Rugby reffing tactics would soon clear up the game, but it takes resolve and guts to do so.

I agree with the sin bin comment, but why does it take resolve and guts?
Dissent in football on 16:52 - Mar 28 with 644 viewsGwyn737

Dissent in football on 14:27 - Mar 28 by A_Fans_Dad

The Sin Bin is used at Grassroots level, but I reckon refs are to intimidated to use it enough.
Dissent in football on 17:00 - Mar 28 with 641 viewsLorax

I agree with you, Keith. It wasn't a bad idea, it was a good idea badly implemented. Just like VAR actually.
Dissent in football on 20:14 - Mar 28 with 601 viewsTenbySwan

We have this thread and yet we have another thread on the 'merchant banker' fourth official at the Fulham game.
Fans need to be consistent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024