Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football’s looming crisis. 14:22 - Apr 3 with 1419 viewsLohengrin

With utility bills set to rise at a surreal rate millions of home owners are going to be forced to look where cuts can be made to non-essential outgoings. Where do you think the first port of call is likely to be? You’d have to think for many, the majority, Sky subscriptions would have to be pretty high on the list, wouldn’t you?

Can you just imagine what could happen to football’s operating model were the Sky sponsorship to be severely curtailed? The years of obscene wage structures and clubs living well, well beyond their means could be coming to an abrupt end.

Feathers will really fly when this chicken comes home to roost...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Football’s looming crisis. on 14:52 - Apr 3 with 1373 viewsKeithHaynes

It’s always one of the first things to go.
But a call to them always used to get the price down.

However, I do see your bigger picture here, the world is lurching from one crisis to another and I may well be in the minority but those chicken look a good bet 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Football’s looming crisis. on 15:16 - Apr 3 with 1335 viewsDr_Winston

People have been predicting a football bust for years. Eventually we may hit the peak of growth but it's not happening yet.

The danger would come if Sky was the only game in town to pay those kinds of fees for the rights to games. Faced with decreased revenues they would be forced to offer lower prices, but there's more sharks in the tank now.

Amazon could blow Sky out of the water with ease, broadcast entirely online and just add a couple of quid onto a Prime subscription to cover the cost if they really wanted to.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Football’s looming crisis. on 15:26 - Apr 3 with 1318 viewsSTID2017

I put Sky in the category as smoking and fancy mobile phone subscriptions ( and taxis for some ).
Even if money is tight they seem to find money for them.
I know this is a generalised view, but I know plenty who's financial position is tight yet always seem to find money from somewhere.
I think for any sensible people who are struggling then theg may well end unnecessary subscriptions

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Football’s looming crisis. on 16:06 - Apr 3 with 1266 viewsgadgetuk

If anything I reckon subscriptions may increase as people will give up other social activities.
Football’s looming crisis. on 16:10 - Apr 3 with 1246 viewsonehunglow

Most footballers at the higher levels won’t be that worried

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Football’s looming crisis. on 16:52 - Apr 3 with 1204 viewsKilkennyjack

Excellent post Loh.

We have become conditioned to it.

The less the players can relate to the fans then the poorer the game will be for it.

As we all know, Ivor used to go to matches at the Vetch on the public bus.
I cant even imagine how proud he would have felt amongst his people.
Glory days.

Beware of the Risen People

Football’s looming crisis. on 20:20 - Apr 3 with 1124 viewsReslovenSwan1

Premier league football is extremely robust. In fact the whole game is pretty solid . What teams went bust during the lock down with no fans fro a whole year?

Derby had problems with FFP and the sale of the ground to the owner, Wigan were bought by clueless Chinese and hit the skid before the lock down. Owners have absorbed club debt on the chin at Sunderland and Bolton.

Only Fulham and Bournemouth have spent any money in the championship and paid knockdown fees. Cloth has been cut. Lowe went for a knockdown £2m replaced by Obafemi for a similar fee, Good wheeling and dealing.

The Swansea fan base is holding up despite a pretty poor product at home for the last 3 seasons in pure entertainment consistency terms. I believe Swansea should as a matter of law have a Trundle type player. I suppose Patterson is the closest to this. I always wanted the club to buy Delafeou back in the day.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Football’s looming crisis. on 22:38 - Apr 3 with 1057 viewsSTID2017

Football’s looming crisis. on 20:20 - Apr 3 by ReslovenSwan1

Premier league football is extremely robust. In fact the whole game is pretty solid . What teams went bust during the lock down with no fans fro a whole year?

Derby had problems with FFP and the sale of the ground to the owner, Wigan were bought by clueless Chinese and hit the skid before the lock down. Owners have absorbed club debt on the chin at Sunderland and Bolton.

Only Fulham and Bournemouth have spent any money in the championship and paid knockdown fees. Cloth has been cut. Lowe went for a knockdown £2m replaced by Obafemi for a similar fee, Good wheeling and dealing.

The Swansea fan base is holding up despite a pretty poor product at home for the last 3 seasons in pure entertainment consistency terms. I believe Swansea should as a matter of law have a Trundle type player. I suppose Patterson is the closest to this. I always wanted the club to buy Delafeou back in the day.

Bale is coming in the summer ...

Login to get fewer ads

Football’s looming crisis. on 04:15 - Apr 4 with 1017 viewsjojaca

My Sky is running out on the 11th of this month and I won't be renewing because of the energy costs. I still haven't paid gas/electric since October because Avro went bust and I have been moved to Octopus. So I am prepared for massive first bill and still haven't a clue what my monthly bills will look like.

Even when you know, you never know?

Football’s looming crisis. on 11:11 - Apr 4 with 940 viewswaynekerr55

I've just changed my phone, TV and broadband to NOW. 25 quid a month with kids and entertainment. I'll have to pay for Netflix but still a significant saving on the 53 quid in paying

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Football’s looming crisis. on 11:34 - Apr 4 with 902 viewsonehunglow

Football’s looming crisis. on 04:15 - Apr 4 by jojaca

My Sky is running out on the 11th of this month and I won't be renewing because of the energy costs. I still haven't paid gas/electric since October because Avro went bust and I have been moved to Octopus. So I am prepared for massive first bill and still haven't a clue what my monthly bills will look like.

Octopus are ok or rather they were.
Im with them.
Not a time to switch right now as things are in flux

Keep an eye on things and take regular meter readings on your phone

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Football’s looming crisis. on 12:03 - Apr 4 with 892 viewsDr_Winston

Football’s looming crisis. on 11:11 - Apr 4 by waynekerr55

I've just changed my phone, TV and broadband to NOW. 25 quid a month with kids and entertainment. I'll have to pay for Netflix but still a significant saving on the 53 quid in paying

I'd be knocking Netflix on the head if the missus didn't log into my account so her kids can watch it. Could save myself enough to cover increased energy bills just by cancelling that and Photoshop.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Football’s looming crisis. on 12:03 - Apr 4 with 892 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Seems that lots of people are trying to go on holiday to avoid the cost of living?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Football’s looming crisis. on 20:06 - Apr 4 with 816 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Football’s looming crisis. on 15:26 - Apr 3 by STID2017

I put Sky in the category as smoking and fancy mobile phone subscriptions ( and taxis for some ).
Even if money is tight they seem to find money for them.
I know this is a generalised view, but I know plenty who's financial position is tight yet always seem to find money from somewhere.
I think for any sensible people who are struggling then theg may well end unnecessary subscriptions

Agreed.

If anything I think the real danger is lower down the pyramid. There's a certain breed of casual/semi casual football fan that will be knocking on the head their occasional trips to the watch the local side before they scrap their Sky subscription.
Football’s looming crisis. on 20:16 - Apr 4 with 805 viewsFireboy2

Football’s looming crisis. on 20:06 - Apr 4 by LittleEnglandJack

Agreed.

If anything I think the real danger is lower down the pyramid. There's a certain breed of casual/semi casual football fan that will be knocking on the head their occasional trips to the watch the local side before they scrap their Sky subscription.

I regularly watch the big match revisted on itv4.

The crowds for the old 1st division were shocking, boro getting around 12k.

It was 1981 and the country was in its third year of thatcher (let's not go there eh 🙄)

The crowds says to me that the working fan could not afford to go.

Who knows it might happen again but not in the sooper dooper PL where the demographic of the fans has changed.
Football’s looming crisis. on 22:45 - Apr 4 with 751 viewsTreforys_Jack

Our season ticket prices the last few seasons have been excellent value to be fair, even though at times it didn't feel like it .
Football’s looming crisis. on 23:35 - Apr 4 with 739 viewsReslovenSwan1

There must be theoretically price resistance. One way of dealing with this is leveling off in player salaries. This has happened in the Championship as we saw with grimes agreeing to re sign after coming to terms of there being no gold at the end of the Fulham rainbow.

Chelsea may not be so cash heavy but replaced by Newcastle and at least two clubs have been caught in Oligarch issues. Chelsea and Everton as I understand it.

Not sure how the rout of the oligarchs affects the much signalled Euro Super league plans.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Football’s looming crisis. on 06:59 - Apr 5 with 707 viewsbuilthjack

Clubs will need to do a few offers to get bums on seats. Families with a few kids will struggle, so get them in for games. Do offers for example £25 for a family of 4 /5 for the odd game.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Football’s looming crisis. on 08:32 - Apr 5 with 680 viewsSTID2017

Football’s looming crisis. on 20:16 - Apr 4 by Fireboy2

I regularly watch the big match revisted on itv4.

The crowds for the old 1st division were shocking, boro getting around 12k.

It was 1981 and the country was in its third year of thatcher (let's not go there eh 🙄)

The crowds says to me that the working fan could not afford to go.

Who knows it might happen again but not in the sooper dooper PL where the demographic of the fans has changed.

My nephew ( by marriage) is a Spurs supporter ( lives 30 minutes walk from the ground).
Both he and his wife have good jobs, yet he shares a ST with his brother to cut costs.
Think the ordinary working man are being frozen out at the top clubs

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024