Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sinn Fein 07:38 - Apr 4 with 10207 viewsCountyJim

Looking like they will be the biggest party in NI it's not really a surprise given how many unionist parties there are they are bound to spilt the vote

It would be nice to have a none religious vote over there but it's not going to happen
Sinn Fein on 10:13 - May 16 with 1110 viewsonehunglow

Sinn Fein on 10:07 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

Clearly the blame is due to the EU who want to punish the UK . There should be no trading border within the United Kingdom. Any trade border should be between the UK and the EU.
It would seem very simple to keep that basic principle with an allowance made for free trade between the UK and the ROI. That way any goods could not be exported from the UK to EU via Ireland. It is really simple but the EU is determine to punish the UK and put the peace process at risk.

I agree. Northern Ireland is part of the UK as are Wales and Scotland.There are no trade boundaries at Chester nor Gretna .

The Irish seem to have a problem with having a border ,which in this case is between an EU country and a non EU one,which logically is the right option. Fly in the ointment though ;this is Ireland.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Sinn Fein on 11:03 - May 16 with 1084 viewsbuilthjack

I wonder how Somerset Capital Management will fair in all this ?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Sinn Fein on 12:53 - May 16 with 1067 viewsKilkennyjack

Sinn Fein on 10:07 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

Clearly the blame is due to the EU who want to punish the UK . There should be no trading border within the United Kingdom. Any trade border should be between the UK and the EU.
It would seem very simple to keep that basic principle with an allowance made for free trade between the UK and the ROI. That way any goods could not be exported from the UK to EU via Ireland. It is really simple but the EU is determine to punish the UK and put the peace process at risk.

Boris Johnson signed the deal that put the border in the Irish Sea.

Yep, him.

Beware of the Risen People

Sinn Fein on 14:50 - May 16 with 1045 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Sinn Fein on 12:53 - May 16 by Kilkennyjack

Boris Johnson signed the deal that put the border in the Irish Sea.

Yep, him.

It was the only way the intransigent EU would agree to any deal.
Needless to say the EU are not implementing it as agreed and it is causing hardship in NI and threatening the peace process. Both those clauses were in the agreement which allows either side to ask for changes to the NI protocol. Remember the EU actually suspended the protocol to prevent covoid vaccines to cross the border.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Sinn Fein on 16:36 - May 16 with 1027 viewsmajorraglan

Sinn Fein on 14:50 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

It was the only way the intransigent EU would agree to any deal.
Needless to say the EU are not implementing it as agreed and it is causing hardship in NI and threatening the peace process. Both those clauses were in the agreement which allows either side to ask for changes to the NI protocol. Remember the EU actually suspended the protocol to prevent covoid vaccines to cross the border.

The issue of Northern Ireland was well documented and it cost Theresa May her job. Boris Johnson and his team agreed and signed an “oven ready deal” which he claimed wouldn’t result in a border in the Irish Sea and promptly delivered the opposite. It was clear up all with half a brain it was bs, but people lapped it up.

Who is saying the EU are not implementing it as agreed, most observers think it’s the UK that isn’t implementing the agreement. The purpose of the deal was to protect the GFA and what’s happening out there now potentially poses a huge threat to the GFA, the majority in NI voted to remain in the EU and at the last election parties supporting the continuation of the existing arrangements secured a significant majority in Stormont and of the vote overall.

The EU have proposed concessions including removing 80% of the checks on good and a 50% reduction in paperwork but it’s not enough. There’s more to this than just NI, I suspect it’s also a battle about Conservative party ideology.
Sinn Fein on 16:51 - May 16 with 1018 viewsKilkennyjack

Sinn Fein on 16:36 - May 16 by majorraglan

The issue of Northern Ireland was well documented and it cost Theresa May her job. Boris Johnson and his team agreed and signed an “oven ready deal” which he claimed wouldn’t result in a border in the Irish Sea and promptly delivered the opposite. It was clear up all with half a brain it was bs, but people lapped it up.

Who is saying the EU are not implementing it as agreed, most observers think it’s the UK that isn’t implementing the agreement. The purpose of the deal was to protect the GFA and what’s happening out there now potentially poses a huge threat to the GFA, the majority in NI voted to remain in the EU and at the last election parties supporting the continuation of the existing arrangements secured a significant majority in Stormont and of the vote overall.

The EU have proposed concessions including removing 80% of the checks on good and a 50% reduction in paperwork but it’s not enough. There’s more to this than just NI, I suspect it’s also a battle about Conservative party ideology.

Spot on.

Johnson has encouraged the DUP to link the Protocol (Johnson signed) to the forming of the new government of the north of Ireland.

The government of the north of Ireland cannot fix the Protocol. Its a UK to EU level agreement.

These are games - Johnson does not care if he tourches the hard earned 20 year peace in the north of Ireland.

Unfit for high office. Simples.

Sinn Fein on 10:48 - May 22 with 968 viewstrampie

Sinn Fein on 22:12 - May 8 by felixstowe_jack

Northern Island is different but the Republican parties lost 5 seats and their vote share fell below 40% to 39.6% . They actually got less vote than the Unionist 40.1%

Still well short of the 50% needed to call a United Ireland referendum.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 22:15]

It was not a United Ireland referendum.

The figures are encouraging for United Ireland supporters, why ?, because of the amount of votes Alliance (Greens) got.

For the point of discussion on a board like this it comes down to which way the likes of Alliance supporters would vote in a border referendum and particularly since Brexit as they are very pro EU and polls suggest they would vote for a United Ireland and be part of the European Union, which is a turnaround from when they were created, so you noting that the unionist block and the nationalist block are very similar vote share in relation to a united Ireland referendum you have not factored in how Alliance voters might vote which could mean united Ireland winning the border poll.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Sinn Fein on 23:54 - May 22 with 922 viewsKilkennyjack

Johnson has led world beating brexit britain to a place where the uk stands alone against the EU and the US.

Its almost like , you know, other countries do consider binding international agreements to be binding. I mean nobody could have forseen that and certainly nobody told Johnson.

Honest to God, we have a clown car for a government. 🤡

Login to get fewer ads

Sinn Fein on 09:02 - May 24 with 885 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Sinn Fein on 23:54 - May 22 by Kilkennyjack

Johnson has led world beating brexit britain to a place where the uk stands alone against the EU and the US.

Its almost like , you know, other countries do consider binding international agreements to be binding. I mean nobody could have forseen that and certainly nobody told Johnson.

Honest to God, we have a clown car for a government. 🤡

Good to see that the UK government is introducing new legislation that will remove the immunity from prosecution grant by Tony Blair's notorious letter.

Under the new legislation terrorist will need to join the truth enquiry to help victims of terrorism find out who killed their relatives. It is a bit like the South African Peace and Reconciliation Commission.
Anyone refusing to cooperate can be prosecuted for their crimes.

Sinn Fein on 18:14 - May 24 with 851 viewsmajorraglan

Sinn Fein on 09:02 - May 24 by felixstowe_jack

Good to see that the UK government is introducing new legislation that will remove the immunity from prosecution grant by Tony Blair's notorious letter.

Under the new legislation terrorist will need to join the truth enquiry to help victims of terrorism find out who killed their relatives. It is a bit like the South African Peace and Reconciliation Commission.
Anyone refusing to cooperate can be prosecuted for their crimes.

It’s not been received very well by all 5 of the main political parties in Northern Ireland, the Irish Government and more importantly victims organisations, the only people who’ve given positive feedback are military and veterans organisations. There are also allegations that the legislation breaches the New Decade New Approach legislation and that it’s a de facto amnesty for all people.

To be honest I don’t know what the answer is and I don’t think the government do either. It’s completely wrong that certain groups have an amnesty while others may not, it’s also wrong that families who’ve lost loved ones can’t get justice. The historic acts for some of the troubles are now 50 odd years old which could make delivering justice very difficult.

I can understand why Tony Blair, to facilitate peace in NI gave the undertaking, but it should have in my opinion covered everyone involved between specific points in time. I suspect nobody foresaw the prosecutions of British service personnel, but if they did and they ignored their rights etc then it’s a very poor show.

Edit- clarify a point.
[Post edited 24 May 2022 22:46]
Sinn Fein on 22:21 - May 24 with 827 viewsKilkennyjack

Sinn Fein on 18:14 - May 24 by majorraglan

It’s not been received very well by all 5 of the main political parties in Northern Ireland, the Irish Government and more importantly victims organisations, the only people who’ve given positive feedback are military and veterans organisations. There are also allegations that the legislation breaches the New Decade New Approach legislation and that it’s a de facto amnesty for all people.

To be honest I don’t know what the answer is and I don’t think the government do either. It’s completely wrong that certain groups have an amnesty while others may not, it’s also wrong that families who’ve lost loved ones can’t get justice. The historic acts for some of the troubles are now 50 odd years old which could make delivering justice very difficult.

I can understand why Tony Blair, to facilitate peace in NI gave the undertaking, but it should have in my opinion covered everyone involved between specific points in time. I suspect nobody foresaw the prosecutions of British service personnel, but if they did and they ignored their rights etc then it’s a very poor show.

Edit- clarify a point.
[Post edited 24 May 2022 22:46]

Well if it was not a war, then the soldiers do have to answer in civilian courts for their actions, just like you or i would.

If it was a war, then the terrorists are both soldiers and PoWs.

I think over 20 years of peace suggests that Blair got this right. An international peace agreement of world wide acclaim.

Sinn Fein on 22:22 - May 24 with 825 viewsKilkennyjack

Liz is an Indy icon.

Sinn Fein on 22:32 - May 24 with 819 viewsBoundy

Sinn Fein on 22:21 - May 24 by Kilkennyjack

Well if it was not a war, then the soldiers do have to answer in civilian courts for their actions, just like you or i would.

I think over 20 years of peace suggests that Blair got this right. An international peace agreement of world wide acclaim.

Don't disagree about answering in civilian courts and I include everyone but please don't think that the IRA /INLA UDA /Red Hand Commandos and the other terrorist off shoots masquerading as freedom fighters were soldiers , they weren't, they were para military, a vast difference.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Sinn Fein on 22:56 - May 24 with 810 viewsmajorraglan

Sinn Fein on 22:21 - May 24 by Kilkennyjack

I’m not getting into the war/ not war stuff, lots of people died and even more suffered injury, as far as I am concerned you can’t treat people differently and the same standards need to be applied consistently across the board. If we’re giving the IRA a bit of paper stating there is an amnesty for any acts committed between say 1969 and 1997 then the same should apply to the loyalists and anyone else for example the army.
I’m sure lots of people will disagree with my view especially those who lost loved ones, but that’s my take on things. Any acts committed after the date the amnesty “date” should be fully investigated and offenders brought to justice.

Edit - typo
[Post edited 25 May 2022 8:01]
Sinn Fein on 13:39 - Jun 27 with 696 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I see Gerry Adams is being sued by thee victims over alleged involvement in three bomb attacks in Britain, Manchester, London Docklands, and the Old Bailey. As a fotmet UK MP and the Irish Dail, I wonder if Adams will turn up in court.

Sinn Fein on 13:59 - Jun 27 with 672 viewstrampie

Sinn Fein on 22:56 - May 24 by majorraglan

I’m not getting into the war/ not war stuff, lots of people died and even more suffered injury, as far as I am concerned you can’t treat people differently and the same standards need to be applied consistently across the board. If we’re giving the IRA a bit of paper stating there is an amnesty for any acts committed between say 1969 and 1997 then the same should apply to the loyalists and anyone else for example the army.
I’m sure lots of people will disagree with my view especially those who lost loved ones, but that’s my take on things. Any acts committed after the date the amnesty “date” should be fully investigated and offenders brought to justice.

Edit - typo
[Post edited 25 May 2022 8:01]

Have our authorities effectively admitted guilt ?

If the other lot had a just cause should they be held responsible ? (Obviously I'm not talking about crimes against civilians)

As regards the loyalists if they did not have a just cause, then shouldn't they be locked up ? even if the other lot were not locked up.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Sinn Fein on 14:56 - Jun 27 with 626 viewsBoundy

Sinn Fein on 13:59 - Jun 27 by trampie

Have our authorities effectively admitted guilt ?

If the other lot had a just cause should they be held responsible ? (Obviously I'm not talking about crimes against civilians)

As regards the loyalists if they did not have a just cause, then shouldn't they be locked up ? even if the other lot were not locked up.

what's your definition of a just cause ?

Sinn Fein on 15:31 - Jun 27 with 591 viewstrampie

Sinn Fein on 14:56 - Jun 27 by Boundy

what's your definition of a just cause ?

Being treated as second class citizens suffering injustices and discrimination.

The military colluding with loyalist terrorists to kill citizens, jailing people without trial, that type of thing.

Sinn Fein on 16:32 - Jun 27 with 571 viewsBoundy

Sinn Fein on 15:31 - Jun 27 by trampie

Being treated as second class citizens suffering injustices and discrimination.

The military colluding with loyalist terrorists to kill citizens, jailing people without trial, that type of thing.

. Timing is everything so I suggest before answering check the timeline for all those "events" but when you do in your in your opinion that justified bombing, assassination, mass killing etc

Sinn Fein on 16:40 - Jun 27 with 562 viewstrampie

Sinn Fein on 16:32 - Jun 27 by Boundy

. Timing is everything so I suggest before answering check the timeline for all those "events" but when you do in your in your opinion that justified bombing, assassination, mass killing etc

I know the timeline.

Let me ask you not about the troubles but just in theory, what do you think justifies fighting back ?

Sinn Fein on 16:55 - Jun 27 with 558 viewsBoundy

Sinn Fein on 16:40 - Jun 27 by trampie

I know the timeline.

Let me ask you not about the troubles but just in theory, what do you think justifies fighting back ?

IMO I believe fighting against injustices is justifiable when the cause requires it , but terrorism ( which is what you're alluding to ) isn't regardless who's the perpetrator .Like I said read the time line and at no point in the troubles do I believe murder could ever be justified , by anyone

Sinn Fein on 17:46 - Jun 27 with 532 viewstrampie

Sinn Fein on 16:55 - Jun 27 by Boundy

IMO I believe fighting against injustices is justifiable when the cause requires it , but terrorism ( which is what you're alluding to ) isn't regardless who's the perpetrator .Like I said read the time line and at no point in the troubles do I believe murder could ever be justified , by anyone

I wouldn't argue with that but what could the Catholic community do ?, they were having civil rights marches to protest the housing situation and not having the vote, it was nearly all women, police would attack them, it was shocking it, was my first memory of the troubles out there seeing peaceful women sat in a road in front of council offices and having their skulls smashed in by the authorities, when our soldiers effectively joined the same side as the abusers (and they were abusers I'm sure there is no argument there) then what could the Catholics do ?

What would you have done if you was one of them, once a Catholic was killed.

I didn't know that the first British soldier to be killed was off duty defending his community from the police and loyalist mobs, the police were attacking the Catholics all the time at that point.

Sinn Fein on 19:51 - Jun 27 with 509 viewsKilkennyjack

The north of Ireland is booming, the protocol is working as intended (bar the odd unanticipated situation here and there, which should have been expected given the overall complexity).

Johnson is duplicitous and signed the deal fully intending to renegotiate it later.
This duplicity now risks the 20 years of peace.

The EU are not going to bend, why should the hell should they ?
And the US will back the peace of the GFA until the very end.

Johnson will be replaced at some point and the protocol he signed will stay.
All sensible people will hope that this happens before lives are lost because of this shitehouse of a man.

Get fecking rid of him - and then prosecute him for the Russian funding of Brexit.

Sinn Fein on 23:23 - Jun 27 with 462 viewsBoundy

Sinn Fein on 17:46 - Jun 27 by trampie

I wouldn't argue with that but what could the Catholic community do ?, they were having civil rights marches to protest the housing situation and not having the vote, it was nearly all women, police would attack them, it was shocking it, was my first memory of the troubles out there seeing peaceful women sat in a road in front of council offices and having their skulls smashed in by the authorities, when our soldiers effectively joined the same side as the abusers (and they were abusers I'm sure there is no argument there) then what could the Catholics do ?

What would you have done if you was one of them, once a Catholic was killed.

I didn't know that the first British soldier to be killed was off duty defending his community from the police and loyalist mobs, the police were attacking the Catholics all the time at that point.

I was then and still am appalled at the events and living conditions that the Catholic population had to endure as you possible are ,the B specials for example were a disgrace to any uniform and in fairness to the government were seen as such and disbanded .Historically N Ireland had been treated abysmally by successive governments that's without debate but your view on the situation is seen from one side , myself having served there on a number of occasions saw first hand what most had to endure on both sides and I do take issue that you think the BA took sides , yes of course you'll be find incidences of abuse committed by the army but then again how would you feel watching a 18 year old squaddie bleed out on a pavement a shot in the neck trying to protect a post office which had repeatability been robbed by the very people who were supposedly the "protectors of the locality. Or have to literally shovel up the remains of a women killed in a bomb blast because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its easy to condemn from afar but much harder to understand the why , what and how if you've not experienced it for yourself.
Incidentally many Welsh soldiers served and died there trying to protect all sides of the divide and in my opinion and experience showed no favour to either side unless of course as happened all too often, were attacked first .
You asked the question what would I do if I was catholic and knew that a fellow catholic had been killed , what I wouldn't do would go out and kill a person because they followed a different faith as then was the case all to often . I'll ask you , if you were a Christian would you kill a Muslim because someone of that faith had killed a fellow Christian.
All sides should reflect on their actions during that period and imo its not over , just simmering under the surface but hopefully there's enough memory of how it was compared to now that its enough to keep the two sides apart

Sinn Fein on 23:45 - Jun 27 with 456 viewsKilkennyjack

Sinn Fein on 23:23 - Jun 27 by Boundy

I was then and still am appalled at the events and living conditions that the Catholic population had to endure as you possible are ,the B specials for example were a disgrace to any uniform and in fairness to the government were seen as such and disbanded .Historically N Ireland had been treated abysmally by successive governments that's without debate but your view on the situation is seen from one side , myself having served there on a number of occasions saw first hand what most had to endure on both sides and I do take issue that you think the BA took sides , yes of course you'll be find incidences of abuse committed by the army but then again how would you feel watching a 18 year old squaddie bleed out on a pavement a shot in the neck trying to protect a post office which had repeatability been robbed by the very people who were supposedly the "protectors of the locality. Or have to literally shovel up the remains of a women killed in a bomb blast because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its easy to condemn from afar but much harder to understand the why , what and how if you've not experienced it for yourself.
Incidentally many Welsh soldiers served and died there trying to protect all sides of the divide and in my opinion and experience showed no favour to either side unless of course as happened all too often, were attacked first .
You asked the question what would I do if I was catholic and knew that a fellow catholic had been killed , what I wouldn't do would go out and kill a person because they followed a different faith as then was the case all to often . I'll ask you , if you were a Christian would you kill a Muslim because someone of that faith had killed a fellow Christian.
All sides should reflect on their actions during that period and imo its not over , just simmering under the surface but hopefully there's enough memory of how it was compared to now that its enough to keep the two sides apart

Thanks for posting that.

The British Army were placed in an impossible position.
You use police for civilian matters, not soldiers.
The presence of troops just made the bad situation worse, the withdrawal of troops made the peace for 20 years.

The welsh soldiers - like all soldiers -,went and did what they were paid to do under orders.
I am sure they are good people trying to do an impossible job.

The GFA was an amazing peace achievement and has saved very many lives on all sides.
The fact that an entitled posh boy like Johnson is prepared to risk the 20 years of peace to play games with signed international agreements is sickening.

No more lives should be lost. Enough.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024