Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? 23:36 - Apr 9 with 3854 viewsReslovenSwan1

Russell Martin has drawn scorn off many poster for always talking about 6 months hence. Live for today and that is what matters they argue. This is perfectly valid. This had traction earlier in the season with posters pointing to ex manager Cooper rapidly improving Forest also with no pre season.

Martin used a number of so called 'excuses' for poor performances in deep winter. No pre season, "the Patterson issue", unsuitable players not fit enough for the rigours of this style, tiredness. etc. injuries Covid disturbance etc.

Perhaps for the first time the idea of developing for "next season" is beginning to make some sort of sense after three consistent performances and wins two without Downes.

He recently stated he had to build the plane while 'in flight'. Martinez, Brendan and Potter all have pre-seasons to mould their team and playing style. Another decent result today for Cardiff city who were smashed out of sight last week by Martin's men . Were they so bad? Perhaps Swansea have taken 8 months to hit the groove.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 23:37 - Apr 9 with 1546 viewsKeithHaynes

The future is unwritten.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 23:39 - Apr 9 with 1532 viewsFireboy2

No they weren't as bad as people made out, its that we were very very good.
Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 23:41 - Apr 9 with 1523 viewsDr_Parnassus

It shouldn’t have been all about next season, but it is now, yes.

I still don’t know why it took so long to see the obvious. But hopefully it’s done now and we can move on, but it’s very hard to let go of the frustration of what we have seen for 35 games this season. Completely needlessly too.

But yes. To the future.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:04 - Apr 10 with 1490 viewsraynor94

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 23:41 - Apr 9 by Dr_Parnassus

I still don’t know why it took so long to see the obvious. But hopefully it’s done now and we can move on, but it’s very hard to let go of the frustration of what we have seen for 35 games this season. Completely needlessly too.

But yes. To the future.

If only you had followed Cooper, we'd have been up by now!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:07 - Apr 10 with 1485 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:04 - Apr 10 by raynor94

If only you had followed Cooper, we'd have been up by now!

In terms of?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:14 - Apr 10 with 1478 viewsraynor94

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:07 - Apr 10 by Dr_Parnassus

In terms of?

Well you obviously understand the game better than Martin, did you contact him to say where he was going wrong.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:17 - Apr 10 with 1471 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:14 - Apr 10 by raynor94

Well you obviously understand the game better than Martin, did you contact him to say where he was going wrong.

So you do understand that he has finally made the changes I’ve been advocating from the start?

That’s all that needs to be said really. Who knows more is a different subject all together.

If we recognise that those that wanted a more mixed and direct approach called it right then the rest of it is all rather irrelevant to be fair.

Right?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:21 - Apr 10 with 1469 viewsjasper_T

I would have thought if next season were the entire focus he'd be putting more effort into blooding the players who will be with us next season. Ogbeta's been fit for a while but barely had a kick. Despite playing twice a week rotation has been minimal so far, when enforced.

The way Kyle Joseph was brought on in injury time to wind down the clock makes the here and now look very important to Martin. He'll be wanting a strong finish to hang his hat on.
Login to get fewer ads

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:40 - Apr 10 with 1452 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:21 - Apr 10 by jasper_T

I would have thought if next season were the entire focus he'd be putting more effort into blooding the players who will be with us next season. Ogbeta's been fit for a while but barely had a kick. Despite playing twice a week rotation has been minimal so far, when enforced.

The way Kyle Joseph was brought on in injury time to wind down the clock makes the here and now look very important to Martin. He'll be wanting a strong finish to hang his hat on.

Spot on. We wouldn’t be playing loan players, we would be playing youth and we would have been playing this way from the start in the hope it beds in by next season.

What we have done is stubbornly stuck with a senseless style for 3 quarters of the season and switching to the style that has been called for most of the season as we were 16th and looking down a barrel of fan backlash.

That was clear from the boos that were starting to be heard and the poll that was more against him than for him for the first time this season.

It’s a simple abort mission and adopt a new style. That’s simply what this season has been about and it’s an incredible waste. But it is what it as and we are where we are.

Why some a pretending that this was all part of the plan I’m not quite sure.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:55 - Apr 10 with 1443 viewsmax936

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 23:41 - Apr 9 by Dr_Parnassus

But yes. To the future.

19 pts from the last 27, makes your pathetic comments nil and void, its the out back for you I'm afraid, watch out for those nasty spiders and snakes.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:58 - Apr 10 with 1438 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:55 - Apr 10 by max936

19 pts from the last 27, makes your pathetic comments nil and void, its the out back for you I'm afraid, watch out for those nasty spiders and snakes.

Surely 19 from the last 27 show my point as absolutely valid?

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

Since we have changed to what I have been suggesting we have earned a heap of points. How is that proof that what I said is null and void?

I fear you are just being a bit silly here as opposed to making a coherent point.

55% possession today, 500 odd passes and 11% long.

Sounds like typical “DrP ball” to me.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 1:01]

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 01:18 - Apr 10 with 1424 viewsSTID2017

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:58 - Apr 10 by Dr_Parnassus

Surely 19 from the last 27 show my point as absolutely valid?

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

Since we have changed to what I have been suggesting we have earned a heap of points. How is that proof that what I said is null and void?

I fear you are just being a bit silly here as opposed to making a coherent point.

55% possession today, 500 odd passes and 11% long.

Sounds like typical “DrP ball” to me.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 1:01]

So far from the changes ( as you perceived them ) happening in the last two games they actually happened over 9 games to give us the 19 from 27 ?
I thought you said he had only changed his style over the last two matches ?
Now you are saying it was over the last 9 matches ?
Which is it ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 01:20 - Apr 10 with 1419 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 01:18 - Apr 10 by STID2017

So far from the changes ( as you perceived them ) happening in the last two games they actually happened over 9 games to give us the 19 from 27 ?
I thought you said he had only changed his style over the last two matches ?
Now you are saying it was over the last 9 matches ?
Which is it ?

Where did you think I said he changed it over the last 2 matches?

Lots of people reading what they want to read at the moment.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 01:38 - Apr 10 with 1413 viewsSTID2017

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 01:20 - Apr 10 by Dr_Parnassus

Where did you think I said he changed it over the last 2 matches?

Lots of people reading what they want to read at the moment.

"Not sure what people are reading.

I said “patience doesn’t come into it”. It’s about learning and learning quickly.

Being patient with a flawed system is pointless, can be as patient as you like but it’s not going to change.

What has changed is we are going more direct. That’s not patience, that’s change. A change that many of us called for 35+ games ago.

Shouldn’t have taken anywhere near this long and I’m still not convinced he won’t revert to type, he did against Millwall. Thankfully we came away with a rare win from that system."
This is what you posted after the Millwall game.
35+ games to learn would mean he had learnt when we played Peterborough and Birmingham ( games 36 and 37 ).
Neither of those games were convincing results or great changes in style ?
So that would only leave the Cardiff and Millwall games prior to yesterday for any changes of style to be seen ?
So either he has adapted over a much longer period or over the last week ( the latter is what I stated you said )
Which is it ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 01:50 - Apr 10 with 1404 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 01:38 - Apr 10 by STID2017

"Not sure what people are reading.

I said “patience doesn’t come into it”. It’s about learning and learning quickly.

Being patient with a flawed system is pointless, can be as patient as you like but it’s not going to change.

What has changed is we are going more direct. That’s not patience, that’s change. A change that many of us called for 35+ games ago.

Shouldn’t have taken anywhere near this long and I’m still not convinced he won’t revert to type, he did against Millwall. Thankfully we came away with a rare win from that system."
This is what you posted after the Millwall game.
35+ games to learn would mean he had learnt when we played Peterborough and Birmingham ( games 36 and 37 ).
Neither of those games were convincing results or great changes in style ?
So that would only leave the Cardiff and Millwall games prior to yesterday for any changes of style to be seen ?
So either he has adapted over a much longer period or over the last week ( the latter is what I stated you said )
Which is it ?

So I didn’t say the last 2 games then?

Yes I’d say we started to see a change in and around the Birmingham game. Towards the end of that game we seemed to change it. We also changed it at WBA away prior something I noted at half time. So it was certainly around the time we started to sacrificing possession and pass count for actually doing something with it, direct passing.

Cardiff game was a perfect example of what I have been advocating, and from the stats (I’ll have to see it back) the Millwall game seems that way too.

As I said, take our wins, take out games with red cards for either team.. average the possession, average the pass counts and average the long ball %. There will be a clear split between our wins and non wins, all in favour of the way I said we should be playing.

Not sure it can be denied really, or why some would want to.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 07:03 - Apr 10 with 1370 viewsbuilthjack

It was all about next season. Always.
Steady the ship, build, and bounce.
Pretty obvious. But some don't get it, or don't want to.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 09:08 - Apr 10 with 1322 viewsmagicdaps10

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 07:03 - Apr 10 by builthjack

They don't want to, clearly don't get the whole process involved after such a turbulent summer that seen a very big upheaval.

Unfortunately sometimes you have to take a few steps back to gain more ground going forward in the long term. At the start if the season some thought we would be in for a struggle, some even suggested mid table but yet I didn't see anyone post they expected another promotion push.

Going on that, we are exactly where some people thought we were going to be, even better placed than what others thought.

There has been a big witch hunt against Martin early doors by posters, they even put a safety net that he is stubborn in his style and won't change, done in readiness for when/if he done well.

We are winning because we changed style is the biggest cover up this season.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 09:25 - Apr 10 with 1305 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 07:03 - Apr 10 by builthjack

It is now, but certainly shouldn’t have been. The majority of this season has been wasted with that God awful style he has finally ditched.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 09:44 - Apr 10 with 1286 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

The problem with waiting until next season is there’s no guarantee Russell Martin will be here. I’m sure they said the same thing at MK Dons “wait till next season” and he buggered off immediately when a higher club came in and he’ll bugger off from here if he gets an offer from Norwich or similar team.

This is why long term project building is irrelevant in todays game. If he doesn’t get results he gets sacked if he gets results he gets poached. The average manager barely gets a year at a club these days.

It’s good to see us put a bit of consistency together. All season long we have fluctuated between devastatingly good to atrociously terrible with nothing in between. It’s just a shame it’s too late.
Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:00 - Apr 10 with 1277 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 09:44 - Apr 10 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

The problem with waiting until next season is there’s no guarantee Russell Martin will be here. I’m sure they said the same thing at MK Dons “wait till next season” and he buggered off immediately when a higher club came in and he’ll bugger off from here if he gets an offer from Norwich or similar team.

This is why long term project building is irrelevant in todays game. If he doesn’t get results he gets sacked if he gets results he gets poached. The average manager barely gets a year at a club these days.

It’s good to see us put a bit of consistency together. All season long we have fluctuated between devastatingly good to atrociously terrible with nothing in between. It’s just a shame it’s too late.

This post gets the Dr P seal of approval. Absolutely correct.

Not to mention another turnover of players.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:18 - Apr 10 with 1267 viewsbuilthjack

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 09:25 - Apr 10 by Dr_Parnassus

It is now, but certainly shouldn’t have been. The majority of this season has been wasted with that God awful style he has finally ditched.

That God awful style was laying the foundations for what we are seeing now, and what we will see next season.
You just don't seem to u derstand, or could ever admit it.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 10:19]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:20 - Apr 10 with 1259 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:18 - Apr 10 by builthjack

That God awful style was laying the foundations for what we are seeing now, and what we will see next season.
You just don't seem to u derstand, or could ever admit it.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 10:19]

I’d love to reply but I have no idea what that says.

But if I say the style he brought was awful but has since been changed to a much more sensible and palatable style akin to what many of us were advocating for early on… would that cover it?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:22 - Apr 10 with 1253 viewsbuilthjack

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:20 - Apr 10 by Dr_Parnassus

I’d love to reply but I have no idea what that says.

But if I say the style he brought was awful but has since been changed to a much more sensible and palatable style akin to what many of us were advocating for early on… would that cover it?

You just don't understand. Never will I guess.

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:24 - Apr 10 with 1249 viewsDr_Parnassus

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:22 - Apr 10 by builthjack

You just don't understand. Never will I guess.

Understand what?

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 10:37 - Apr 10 with 1241 viewsBadlands

Its all about next season! Is this thinking valid? on 00:17 - Apr 10 by Dr_Parnassus

So you do understand that he has finally made the changes I’ve been advocating from the start?

That’s all that needs to be said really. Who knows more is a different subject all together.

If we recognise that those that wanted a more mixed and direct approach called it right then the rest of it is all rather irrelevant to be fair.

Right?

What changes?
The only difference is the players are more settled and midfield is learning they have to keep moving and be in positions to receive the ball.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024