Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED 02:41 - Apr 12 with 16699 viewsNotLoyal

It’s the a Good Friday game, and the chance for another doube. Yes, the doube is on again. Not like the Cardiff doube, but a doube all the same.

This thread has been brought to you by ‘Doube’ The history making word with one L of an impact.

The Officials
ANDY WOOLMER 👀
Robert Hyde and Natalie Aspinall
Fourth Official : Charles Breakspear

First Swans game Woolmer officiates this season, he is the referee Steve Cooper made allegations against of having issues with him and Swansea City. He was the fourth official which brought about a whole lot of touchline reporting when Ryan Manning was sent off against Fulham. Thereafter he was involved in reporting Swansea City for a variety of infringements on and off the pitch. Despite Fulham committing similar and in some cases far worse touchline issues which were overlooked. Let’s hope Woolmer comes to Swansea with clarity and an independent view.

Latest **

Swansea City play against a team today who have won one game away all season 15th Apr 2022 10:48
Barnsley visit the Swansea.com today in a similar position to Derby County last weekend. They simply are running out of game time to save their season. Some will say that ship has long sailed and the tykes will merely play out their remaining games with only prove at stake. 0

Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Ben Cabango, Kyle Naughton, Joel Latibeaudiere; Cyrus Christie, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Hannes Wolf; Joel Piroe, Jamie Paterson; Michael Obafemi.

Substitutes: Ben Hamer, Ryan Manning, Korey Smith, Olivier Ntcham, Kyle Joseph, Nathanael Ogbeta, Cameron Congreve.

Barnsley: Jack Walton, Liam Kitching, Mads Andersen (captain), Callum Brittain, Carlton Morris, Claudio Gomes, Romal Palmer, Remy Vita, Amine Bassi, Domingos Quina, Matty Wolfe.

Substitutes: Daniel Jinadu, Callum Styles, Cauley Woodrow, Aaron Leya Iseka, Jasper Moon, William Hondermarck, Victor Adeboyejo.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 20:09 - Apr 15 with 1458 viewsswan_si

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 18:37 - Apr 15 by magicdaps10

Cabango done very well today, totally grown into the style terrifically, he played 2 lovely cross field ala Ash style passes in the first half.

I really enjoyed the 2nd half, a real back and forth, both teams pushing for a winner with no avail.
Obafemi should Bury his chance as should Piroe at the death but Barnsley had a few decent chances also.
Don't know what has gone on at Barnsley but they were a decent team out there today.

Agreed, when we had the ball they played 2 banks of 5 closing spaces, we made it easy for them with the lack of movement, too many standing still facing our goal, inevitability when receiving the ball the only pass on was back or sideways, with them needed 3 points with Reading leading, after we scored, they had to come at us making it a more open game, subs made a big difference, the last 15 had me on my feet, thought we could have PINCHED it, put that to bed, go again Monday, it will be interesting to see Martins starting 11, a point for Reading on Monday would OK for them, so I'm expecting another defensive, counter attack game.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 20:27 - Apr 15 with 1401 viewsKeithHaynes

The whole game displayed a team who can’t wait for the end of the season. It wasnt brilliant by present standards, but it wasn’t a loss. And that’s the key for me.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 20:39 - Apr 15 with 1366 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 20:27 - Apr 15 by KeithHaynes

The whole game displayed a team who can’t wait for the end of the season. It wasnt brilliant by present standards, but it wasn’t a loss. And that’s the key for me.

Still on the unbeaten run.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 20:51 - Apr 15 with 1335 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 19:22 - Apr 15 by magicdaps10

What's his goalscoring record like at the age groups?

He's a solid unit, I noticed the lovely ball he tried to float to Obefami.

He's got a few but he's not played much u23s football to be honest. Started the season in the u18s. Good size on him now but had enough years as the smallest kid in his age group to instil a bit of extra work ethic. Relatively late bloomer in that department.

He's the same age now as Cabango was when he went out on loan to TNS. Very early days but encouraging that he's being involved. Fingers crossed a few more cameos for him in the next run of games.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 21:18 - Apr 15 with 1302 viewsLorax

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 20:27 - Apr 15 by KeithHaynes

At this stage of the season, with no fear of relegation, I don't even mind f we lose as long as the performances are good.

That first half wasn't good enough. No pace, no energy, too many mistakes/poor passes.

Martin should be telling everyone not to let up because they are playing for their places now.

That's why I'm really happy to see Congreve getting minutes, it's our own players like him we need to bring through, not loanees to make money for other clubs.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 21:43 - Apr 15 with 1246 viewsFlashberryjack

Yep, the player are definitely in holiday mode.

If I'm being honest, we don't look like we are the fittest team in the league either.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 22:13 - Apr 15 with 1183 viewsBadlands

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 21:18 - Apr 15 by Lorax

At this stage of the season, with no fear of relegation, I don't even mind f we lose as long as the performances are good.

That first half wasn't good enough. No pace, no energy, too many mistakes/poor passes.

Martin should be telling everyone not to let up because they are playing for their places now.

That's why I'm really happy to see Congreve getting minutes, it's our own players like him we need to bring through, not loanees to make money for other clubs.

I would have liked to have seen Ogbeta getting time as well.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:33 - Apr 16 with 1089 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 22:13 - Apr 15 by Badlands

I would have liked to have seen Ogbeta getting time as well.

Yes would have been good to see him given maybe 15 minutes

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 02:59 - Apr 16 with 1051 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 21:43 - Apr 15 by Flashberryjack

Yep, the player are definitely in holiday mode.

If I'm being honest, we don't look like we are the fittest team in the league either.

Which tells me they aren’t in this process as is being claimed.

If everyone is on the same page, this is a transition season and we were never playing for anything etc… then why would they be on the beach with 6 games left?

Surely people how senseless all this transition rubbish has been.

It’s a managers job to ensure the players attitude is spot on. Blaming ‘players attitude’ just doesn’t cut it, because no doubt had we won then people would be falling over themselves to praise Martin. Which means yet again he’s free from criticism even though it’s clear that we deployed another ridiculous system.

If we win it’s down to him, if we don’t it’s down to the players. It’s an unhealthy level of critique.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:46 - Apr 16 with 990 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Yesterday's game encapsulated our entire season ponderous and slow for most of the game before walking up and playing well for 30 minutes.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:49 - Apr 16 with 975 viewsmagicdaps10

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 02:59 - Apr 16 by Dr_Parnassus

Which tells me they aren’t in this process as is being claimed.

If everyone is on the same page, this is a transition season and we were never playing for anything etc… then why would they be on the beach with 6 games left?

Surely people how senseless all this transition rubbish has been.

It’s a managers job to ensure the players attitude is spot on. Blaming ‘players attitude’ just doesn’t cut it, because no doubt had we won then people would be falling over themselves to praise Martin. Which means yet again he’s free from criticism even though it’s clear that we deployed another ridiculous system.

If we win it’s down to him, if we don’t it’s down to the players. It’s an unhealthy level of critique.

Its been a constant on here that when we lose its Martin's fault and when we win its down to the players, another consistency opinion that has gone on.

Yesterday was down to lack of movement, lose and poor passing. The first half we mixed it up, we played short balls trying to pull them out of position, long balls.... We even had Fisher looking for the long kick for Obefami to get on the end of.

Would certainly say it was down to a case of the players thinking they needed to only turn up, the bench could see this and were constantly on to them. You won't see many more games where you could argue that statues would be more mobile than what we were yesterday.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:53 - Apr 16 with 969 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:46 - Apr 16 by felixstowe_jack

Yesterday's game encapsulated our entire season ponderous and slow for most of the game before walking up and playing well for 30 minutes.

Tactical changes made all the difference. Ntcham was a big upgrade on Fulton who was having a poor game (last couple he did play well). Manning did a better job of closing his side of defence. Saying that they had enough chances to win the game in the last half hour as we did.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:43 - Apr 16 with 929 viewsbennytheblue

How much did your team cost to assemble? Players like Downes? Piroe? Did u spend a lot on them?
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:51 - Apr 16 with 897 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:49 - Apr 16 by magicdaps10

Its been a constant on here that when we lose its Martin's fault and when we win its down to the players, another consistency opinion that has gone on.

Yesterday was down to lack of movement, lose and poor passing. The first half we mixed it up, we played short balls trying to pull them out of position, long balls.... We even had Fisher looking for the long kick for Obefami to get on the end of.

Would certainly say it was down to a case of the players thinking they needed to only turn up, the bench could see this and were constantly on to them. You won't see many more games where you could argue that statues would be more mobile than what we were yesterday.

Again this sounds like the “whenever we win it’s the changed system and whenever we lose it’s Martinball” myth.

I thought due to the reactions and myths created by a certain few individuals that people have gone out of their way to praise Martin in victory. Do you have any examples in mind? Needless to say I don’t think it’s true.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:52 - Apr 16 with 902 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:43 - Apr 16 by bennytheblue

How much did your team cost to assemble? Players like Downes? Piroe? Did u spend a lot on them?

According to some posts I have read £5 million

Which if we either get promoted with them or the owners decide to cash in on them will be a relative bargain IMHO

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:56 - Apr 16 with 883 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:53 - Apr 16 by Whiterockin

Tactical changes made all the difference. Ntcham was a big upgrade on Fulton who was having a poor game (last couple he did play well). Manning did a better job of closing his side of defence. Saying that they had enough chances to win the game in the last half hour as we did.

He didn’t have a choice, losing with 30 mins left - you don’t keep Fulton on when you have an attacking midfielder on the bench.

The last 30 mins I would describe as a tactical correction as opposed to a tactical change. Shouldn’t have been so passive against the worst side in the league anyway with all that possession and passes when we could have been attacking them.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:21 - Apr 16 with 871 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:43 - Apr 16 by bennytheblue

Fisher - £300k
Naughton - £5m
Christie - Loan fee
Wolf - Loan fee
Grimes - £1.8m
Fulton - £500k
Piroe - £1m
Obafemi - £1.5m
Downes - £1m
Joseph - £500k
Ogbeta - £300k

Around £13m in total, but half of it spent while we were in the PL.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:23 - Apr 16 with 866 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:21 - Apr 16 by jasper_T

Fisher - £300k
Naughton - £5m
Christie - Loan fee
Wolf - Loan fee
Grimes - £1.8m
Fulton - £500k
Piroe - £1m
Obafemi - £1.5m
Downes - £1m
Joseph - £500k
Ogbeta - £300k

Fair point.
I was thinking more of this season

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:53 - Apr 16 with 846 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:21 - Apr 16 by jasper_T

Fisher - £300k
Naughton - £5m
Christie - Loan fee
Wolf - Loan fee
Grimes - £1.8m
Fulton - £500k
Piroe - £1m
Obafemi - £1.5m
Downes - £1m
Joseph - £500k
Ogbeta - £300k

Naughton and Grimes whilst in PL? Take them out and it’s pretty decent spend
[Post edited 16 Apr 2022 10:53]
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:57 - Apr 16 with 833 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:53 - Apr 16 by bennytheblue

It is really, whether we are successful or alternatively ( and hopefully not ) the owners cash in by selling a few players

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:02 - Apr 16 with 816 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:53 - Apr 16 by bennytheblue

Fulton was a PL signing as well. Falkirk did well out of that deal with all the addons, but it took a while.

We've definitely spent money. About £1m in loan fees in January. High wages tied up in free transfers (Bennett, Manning). Investments will need to pay off eventually.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:13 - Apr 16 with 809 viewsTenbySwan

Watched a bit of Derby v Fulham last night.

What was noticeable wS how much quicker both teams moved the ball forward.

We did last 15 min yesterday but couldn't cope with Barnsley's high back line squeezing the space early on
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:44 - Apr 16 with 783 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:53 - Apr 16 by Whiterockin

Would agree Ntcham introduction did help as it usually does with his introduction but would you have started the game with him
Did we change our tactics after the break with Grimes dropping into a back four position and did Barnsley drop the most dangerous player from his forward position into a more midfield position.
If you are chasing the game why would change a defender hadn't done a lot wrong, maybe for a more experience player as you say to help the defence
All managers make mistakes, did Martin get things wrong during the game, did he also get things right?

A number of unforced errors crepted into our game yesterday and our decision making was a times questionable for example a high cross to Obafemi instead of low whipped in cross behind turned defenders I like Wolf's work ethic and some of his qualities he brings but is he a winger, him and Paterson seem to be on top of each
other perhaps their positions need to be reversed.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 12:02 - Apr 16 with 765 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:44 - Apr 16 by RichardO

Would agree Ntcham introduction did help as it usually does with his introduction but would you have started the game with him
Did we change our tactics after the break with Grimes dropping into a back four position and did Barnsley drop the most dangerous player from his forward position into a more midfield position.
If you are chasing the game why would change a defender hadn't done a lot wrong, maybe for a more experience player as you say to help the defence
All managers make mistakes, did Martin get things wrong during the game, did he also get things right?

A number of unforced errors crepted into our game yesterday and our decision making was a times questionable for example a high cross to Obafemi instead of low whipped in cross behind turned defenders I like Wolf's work ethic and some of his qualities he brings but is he a winger, him and Paterson seem to be on top of each
other perhaps their positions need to be reversed.

No I would not start with Ntcham because I feel he could not last a full game and is better as an impact player.

I felt that they kept a very high line, even up to halfway at stages totally nullifying us, when we played a through ball they didn't come off, unluckily on occasions.

Changing the defender I felt their number 14 was on top of Latibeaudiere and looking dangerous and the introduction of Manning nullified this.

Wolf as I have said on other threads needs to play in the Patterson or Piroe role but you cant leave Piroe out. Wolf is not a wing back, he has played as a forward through his career for a reason.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 12:22 - Apr 16 with 743 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 12:02 - Apr 16 by Whiterockin

No I would not start with Ntcham because I feel he could not last a full game and is better as an impact player.

I felt that they kept a very high line, even up to halfway at stages totally nullifying us, when we played a through ball they didn't come off, unluckily on occasions.

Changing the defender I felt their number 14 was on top of Latibeaudiere and looking dangerous and the introduction of Manning nullified this.

Wolf as I have said on other threads needs to play in the Patterson or Piroe role but you cant leave Piroe out. Wolf is not a wing back, he has played as a forward through his career for a reason.

I thought Pato struggled a bit yesterday. Perhaps him and Wolf too much in the same narrow area ?
Ntcham is a brilliant impact player. Maybe after a full summer training he may have the stamina for a full game.
Lati did well but felt Manning offered more all round, with defence and attack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024