Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Female F1 drivers 13:52 - Apr 12 with 1386 viewsDr_Parnassus

Following on a few F1 threads recently, it got me thinking.

As many of you may know, I’m as far away from a modern day feminist as you can get. Which thankfully also means I have at least a modicum of sense in social issues.

So my question is why isn’t there any F1 women drivers? And does anyone who knows more about the sport think there will be?

I’m a big advocate of equal opportunities if the talent is deserving. Really enjoy it when they get one up on the men in darts and snooker etc

For me, F1 feels like a sport where there wouldn’t be too much (if any) physical advantages to being male? I know there needs to be a certain amount of strength and fitness to withstand and fight the G forces, but no more than a woman can train to achieve, and of course many are already there in their various sports.

I was surprised how many women were at the F1, seemed a pretty even split. So if the interest is there, what are the barriers to entry currently and what team is most likely to be the first to employ a female in the modern era?

I think it would be a stroke of genius personally, would instantly get my support as someone who doesn’t really have a team as it were.

Views welcome.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2022 14:12]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Female F1 drivers on 14:12 - Apr 12 with 1264 viewsVincent_Vega

it is an odd one. The obvious blanket answer is there has been a female fast enough but as is the politics with the sport if it were down to driver talent Piastri would be in F1 now and stroll would be gone. There is a huge physical demand on the neck and arms and drivers need to be in good shape for the weight restrictions and pass the FIA safety physicals and that. F1 drivers need to think fast in races also, imagine trying to defend a faster car behind you, manage fuel and tyres while being barked at of the radio on what engine mode you need to on, all at 200mph (granted stereotype indicate women would be better at that aspect).

In summary I have no idea, the W series should show some talent on a bigger stage and that might interest the teams but this is F1 and there're only 20 spots (for now) up for grabs.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Female F1 drivers on 14:19 - Apr 12 with 1257 viewsDr_Parnassus

Female F1 drivers on 14:12 - Apr 12 by Vincent_Vega

it is an odd one. The obvious blanket answer is there has been a female fast enough but as is the politics with the sport if it were down to driver talent Piastri would be in F1 now and stroll would be gone. There is a huge physical demand on the neck and arms and drivers need to be in good shape for the weight restrictions and pass the FIA safety physicals and that. F1 drivers need to think fast in races also, imagine trying to defend a faster car behind you, manage fuel and tyres while being barked at of the radio on what engine mode you need to on, all at 200mph (granted stereotype indicate women would be better at that aspect).

In summary I have no idea, the W series should show some talent on a bigger stage and that might interest the teams but this is F1 and there're only 20 spots (for now) up for grabs.

You would also think in an age where the extra pound of weight on a car is looking to be shaved off, surely the driver being a couple of stone lighter would help.

Cognitive abilities between men and women are almost non existent, they just tend to focus on different things. Women have interests in ‘people’ and men have interests in ‘things’, which may equate for the answer I guess.

But you would think in the last 50 years there would be at least a few that are interested in ‘things’ more than their biology indicated they should and go down that route.

It’s an interesting one.

In terms of the team, which one is most likely to buck that trend? Is there one that is more innovative than the others in that regard?

Female F1 drivers on 14:35 - Apr 12 with 1241 viewsCountyJim

But who would do the parking
Female F1 drivers on 14:36 - Apr 12 with 1241 viewsVincent_Vega

Female F1 drivers on 14:19 - Apr 12 by Dr_Parnassus

You would also think in an age where the extra pound of weight on a car is looking to be shaved off, surely the driver being a couple of stone lighter would help.

Cognitive abilities between men and women are almost non existent, they just tend to focus on different things. Women have interests in ‘people’ and men have interests in ‘things’, which may equate for the answer I guess.

But you would think in the last 50 years there would be at least a few that are interested in ‘things’ more than their biology indicated they should and go down that route.

It’s an interesting one.

In terms of the team, which one is most likely to buck that trend? Is there one that is more innovative than the others in that regard?

There is that even though car and driver have minimum weight (not an issue so far as these cars are the heaviest ever)

Agreed on paper it should be marginal at best. It is considered generally men are more aggressive in nature and more competitive but that's a generalization, its a minuscule difference and no reason that not one woman has even entered the fray.

it depends, I could imagine Haas dumping Magnesson for a female driver if she brought in a mass of sponsorship, same with any Williams driver. Alfa possibly but Zhoy has brought in Chinese interest and they wont bin Bottas. Alpine if Alonso has enough but again she'd have to bring in money and talent. Ditto for Aston if Vettel decides to jack it as Stroll ain't going nowhere. Alfa Tauri are a red bull junior program team and all the others are established and don't take rookies (McLaren might IF the driver is something else like Hamilton but he was groomed by Ron Dennis).

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Female F1 drivers on 23:41 - Apr 13 with 1161 viewsAndyCole

Great thread. For me women are so not at the races for this massive leap, in so many ways.

Yet I'm sure Horner's recent swipe will surely ignite the fervour amongst a certain type:

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-its-bringing-in-a-lot-of-young-girls-because-o

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Female F1 drivers on 09:19 - Apr 14 with 1106 viewsWhiterockin

Female F1 drivers on 14:35 - Apr 12 by CountyJim

But who would do the parking

At least they wouldn't have to put fuel in the car.
Female F1 drivers on 09:26 - Apr 14 with 1102 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Men have significantly faster reaction times which is probably the most important thing at that level of racing for the little micro adjustments.

There’s no reason why they shouldn’t be able to compete though, I know there are a growing number of female racing drivers but it will be difficult for them to break into the elite because of that cruel mistress biology.
Female F1 drivers on 10:15 - Apr 14 with 1054 viewsDr_Parnassus

Female F1 drivers on 09:26 - Apr 14 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Men have significantly faster reaction times which is probably the most important thing at that level of racing for the little micro adjustments.

There’s no reason why they shouldn’t be able to compete though, I know there are a growing number of female racing drivers but it will be difficult for them to break into the elite because of that cruel mistress biology.

After looking into that point I think you may well be spot on. Reaction times appear much slower in women.

Prior to the race the drivers were practicing reaction times by catching balls dropped by what must be their fitness trainer, this was in the two minutes prior to getting into their cars, was the very last thing they did.

Didn't realise there was such a difference in reaction times between the genders.

Nice one

Login to get fewer ads

Female F1 drivers on 15:31 - Apr 14 with 996 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Female F1 drivers on 10:15 - Apr 14 by Dr_Parnassus

After looking into that point I think you may well be spot on. Reaction times appear much slower in women.

Prior to the race the drivers were practicing reaction times by catching balls dropped by what must be their fitness trainer, this was in the two minutes prior to getting into their cars, was the very last thing they did.

Didn't realise there was such a difference in reaction times between the genders.

Nice one

Women take part in most other branches of Car racing, all the other formulas and also endurance racing as well.
They also race in the very fast US Indi 500 series and other high speed racing as well.
So to get in to F1 you have to "graduate" and then "excel" at various marque races (like formula Ford, Formula Vee etc), then f4, f3 and f2 and of course you have to be sponsored.
Female F1 drivers on 16:14 - Apr 14 with 974 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Female F1 drivers on 15:31 - Apr 14 by A_Fans_Dad

Women take part in most other branches of Car racing, all the other formulas and also endurance racing as well.
They also race in the very fast US Indi 500 series and other high speed racing as well.
So to get in to F1 you have to "graduate" and then "excel" at various marque races (like formula Ford, Formula Vee etc), then f4, f3 and f2 and of course you have to be sponsored.

It also helps if you’re the son or relative of an ex driver like Schumacher, Verstappen, Villeneuve, Fittipaldi, Hill etc.

It’s a very insular and nepotic industry.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 16:36]
Female F1 drivers on 16:28 - Apr 14 with 969 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Female F1 drivers on 16:14 - Apr 14 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

It also helps if you’re the son or relative of an ex driver like Schumacher, Verstappen, Villeneuve, Fittipaldi, Hill etc.

Yes I think that might help .
Female F1 drivers on 19:54 - Apr 14 with 925 viewsgrabsplatter

Female F1 drivers on 16:14 - Apr 14 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

To be fair none of those were undeserving of a drive in F1 - Fittipaldi might be questionable I guess.
I imagine sponsors would be falling over themselves to back a woman if they thought she'd be successful, the publicity would be huge.
Calderón was the last to get to F2 but was nowhere near quick enough to step up, the last top level woman in single seaters who might have made it was probably Ellen Lohr in the 90's.
You've only got to look at the number of women you now see working on the engineering & technical side to see that the sport is changing, way more than even 10 years ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024