Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh tourism tax 11:41 - Apr 13 with 17787 viewsbritferry

What you think?

I think it will be a terrible idea, it will put people off coming here.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tourism-boss-says-anti-english-236

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Welsh tourism tax on 22:27 - May 23 with 1261 viewsBryanSwan

Welsh tourism tax on 20:57 - May 23 by Lorax

I think that after brexit a lot of people stopped talking about politics with friends and family, too many arguments. I'm not sure if a lot of us now know how many the people in our lives would choose.

Many of the people I know don't even bother voting but I do know a few of them think it makes no difference who we vote for, makes no difference to our lives. I know a few others who used to be very pro indy but over the years their tune has changed, I was one of them. The sparkly eyed stupidity of youth learned some lessons along the way.

The only way to be sure is to have the vote. The Senedd will never allow it though. We'll be asked if we want more powers but the option to reverse devolution will never be on a ballot. Brexit still haunts them.

I suppose that is the way it tends to go, either ignoring the topic in its entirety or ignoring the person. Brexit really did bring out the worst in a lot of of people.

People become disillusioned with it, voting for changes yet nothing ever does change. Things don't get better for the majority of people.

Does a vote for more power not somewhat show support though? If people didnt want the senedd surely they would vote for it to not receive further powers?

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Welsh tourism tax on 09:13 - May 24 with 1210 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 22:27 - May 23 by BryanSwan

I suppose that is the way it tends to go, either ignoring the topic in its entirety or ignoring the person. Brexit really did bring out the worst in a lot of of people.

People become disillusioned with it, voting for changes yet nothing ever does change. Things don't get better for the majority of people.

Does a vote for more power not somewhat show support though? If people didnt want the senedd surely they would vote for it to not receive further powers?

I think the fact that less than 50% of the Welsh voting public can be bothered to even turn up to vote shows the indifference in Wales to the Senedd. 46.6% turnout is a nation disgrace.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh tourism tax on 09:46 - May 24 with 1192 viewsonehunglow

Welsh tourism tax on 22:27 - May 23 by BryanSwan

I agree with that
Many voted leave out of a warped sense of patriotism;I did just because I don't like uncertainty ,which it still is. The waving of the Union Flags did it for me. We no longer have an empire.

It's not been as bad as I thought but I still think it's better to be part of a group of democratic countries than not.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh tourism tax on 14:25 - May 24 with 1162 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh tourism tax on 09:46 - May 24 by onehunglow

I agree with that
Many voted leave out of a warped sense of patriotism;I did just because I don't like uncertainty ,which it still is. The waving of the Union Flags did it for me. We no longer have an empire.

It's not been as bad as I thought but I still think it's better to be part of a group of democratic countries than not.

In reply to your last paragraph. I voted out because I didn't like the way Europe was going, particularly with France and Germany dictating plus I felt it was getting to large. I'm quite pleased on the whole how things have gone and I believe it could have been better without the pandemic. Before the vote there was a lot of scaremongering on both side and idle promises made, all pointless.We are where we are now and need to make the best of it, there will be no return in our lifetimes.
Welsh tourism tax on 16:04 - May 24 with 1137 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I agree with that

Trouble is the EU has never been democratic. All commissioners are appointed not elected. The commissioners decide policy. The commissioners cannot be removed by the electorate in the EU.

Welsh tourism tax on 16:23 - May 24 with 1122 viewsBryanSwan

I agree with that

Any sort of xenophobic patriotism is bad, which is what that vote turned into.
I am for Welsh indy, but would want countries to work together, Brexit has been the exact opposite of that.
And back to the original topic, I am for people moving to Wales if it is going to be a permanent abode and not a second or holiday home.

Welsh tourism tax on 18:53 - May 24 with 1102 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 16:23 - May 24 by BryanSwan

Any sort of xenophobic patriotism is bad, which is what that vote turned into.
I am for Welsh indy, but would want countries to work together, Brexit has been the exact opposite of that.
And back to the original topic, I am for people moving to Wales if it is going to be a permanent abode and not a second or holiday home.

Brexit has meant the UK has had to look to other countries though, we are holding trade talks with many others and we still trade with the EU. We haven't cut ourselves off from anyone.
As Whiterockin says, both sides told lies and it'll take quite a while for the dust to settle properly.

Ironically, old Vlad Putin has done a lot to repair the unity of Europe and NATO, not his main intention, obviously!

This Welsh tourism tax, I've seen on the news that the tourist industry is really worried about it.
Welsh tourism tax on 19:30 - May 24 with 1085 viewsBryanSwan

Welsh tourism tax on 18:53 - May 24 by Lorax

Brexit has meant the UK has had to look to other countries though, we are holding trade talks with many others and we still trade with the EU. We haven't cut ourselves off from anyone.
As Whiterockin says, both sides told lies and it'll take quite a while for the dust to settle properly.

Ironically, old Vlad Putin has done a lot to repair the unity of Europe and NATO, not his main intention, obviously!

This Welsh tourism tax, I've seen on the news that the tourist industry is really worried about it.

I do not agree with brexit, but it was voted for so the right thing was done there, after than point it has been a monumental failure.
There is a long way to go and I'm not even sure we've hit rock bottom yet. Could be some scary times ahead for a lot of people.

Something had to be done to address the issues regarding 2nd homes and holiday rentals. Personally i wouldve much preferred if a % of housing were designated as being viable for holiday etc.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh tourism tax on 18:25 - May 25 with 1019 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 19:30 - May 24 by BryanSwan

I do not agree with brexit, but it was voted for so the right thing was done there, after than point it has been a monumental failure.
There is a long way to go and I'm not even sure we've hit rock bottom yet. Could be some scary times ahead for a lot of people.

Something had to be done to address the issues regarding 2nd homes and holiday rentals. Personally i wouldve much preferred if a % of housing were designated as being viable for holiday etc.

I don't see how anyone can call brexit a monumental failure given the other things that have happened that have plunged the whole world into trouble?

Is brexit responsible for the pandemic or for Russia invading Ukraine? Because the problems we are seeing now are a direct result of those two things, they have far outweighed brexit by any measure.

Councils need to start building homes that are only for rent locally, eventually for sale locally when other housing has been built to replace them.
Welsh tourism tax on 21:27 - May 26 with 963 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh tourism tax on 18:25 - May 25 by Lorax

I don't see how anyone can call brexit a monumental failure given the other things that have happened that have plunged the whole world into trouble?

Is brexit responsible for the pandemic or for Russia invading Ukraine? Because the problems we are seeing now are a direct result of those two things, they have far outweighed brexit by any measure.

Councils need to start building homes that are only for rent locally, eventually for sale locally when other housing has been built to replace them.

Anything that's bad in the UK is down to Brexit.

Anything that's good, would be better if we were still in the EU.

Anyone that voted leave, didn't know what they voted for.

Anyone the voted remain is a genius.

Thought you knew that.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh tourism tax on 13:47 - May 29 with 902 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:27 - May 26 by Flashberryjack

Anything that's bad in the UK is down to Brexit.

Anything that's good, would be better if we were still in the EU.

Anyone that voted leave, didn't know what they voted for.

Anyone the voted remain is a genius.

Thought you knew that.

Brexit is a disaster of historical proportions.

Posh English people wanted to avoid EU taxation, so the took Putins cash and convinced many good working class people that the EU had caused all their woes.

It was liars telling lies.

The referundum was unsafe but because it was designated an ‘advisory’ referendum then it was not rerun. If it was a full blown referendum, the electoral commission have already said it would need to be rerun. However it was implemented as a full blown referendum.

The Brexit voters in 2016 were the grey haired, blue rinse brigade.
The changing demographics means the uk will rejoin/realign as night follows day.

Partygate has confirmed that the Johnson regime is unfit for the job.

Surely to God, the working class welsh can see these small minded little Englanders for what they really are. Mogg and Johnson do not care about you. They are taking the pish out of you.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh tourism tax on 18:33 - May 29 with 866 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 13:47 - May 29 by Kilkennyjack

Posh English people wanted to avoid EU taxation, so the took Putins cash and convinced many good working class people that the EU had caused all their woes.

The referundum was unsafe but because it was designated an ‘advisory’ referendum then it was not rerun. If it was a full blown referendum, the electoral commission have already said it would need to be rerun. However it was implemented as a full blown referendum.

The changing demographics means the uk will rejoin/realign as night follows day.

Surely to God, the working class welsh can see these small minded little Englanders for what they really are. Mogg and Johnson do not care about you. They are taking the pish out of you.

52 % of the UK population grey headed. You really have lost the plot. The United Kingdom voted to leave the undemocratic EU including Wales.

Not sure where you got this idea Putin paid for fir Brexit. He certainly did not get much for his money as an independent UK led the World imposing sanctions on Russia and arming the Ukraine.

Not sure what this has to do with a Welsh Tourism tax though. Off topic again.

The UK voters endorsed the decision of the UK Parliament by soundly rejecting hard left Russian loving Corbyn and his anti democratic labour party.
[Post edited 29 May 2022 18:36]

Welsh tourism tax on 19:31 - May 29 with 846 viewsBoundy

and this tax will compound the problem already being experienced by some

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-holiday-firms-die-like-2

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wave-second-home-owners-sellin

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh tourism tax on 19:54 - May 29 with 814 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 18:33 - May 29 by felixstowe_jack

52 % of the UK population grey headed. You really have lost the plot. The United Kingdom voted to leave the undemocratic EU including Wales.

Not sure where you got this idea Putin paid for fir Brexit. He certainly did not get much for his money as an independent UK led the World imposing sanctions on Russia and arming the Ukraine.

Not sure what this has to do with a Welsh Tourism tax though. Off topic again.

The UK voters endorsed the decision of the UK Parliament by soundly rejecting hard left Russian loving Corbyn and his anti democratic labour party.
[Post edited 29 May 2022 18:36]

Putin supported Brexit.
Putin gave millions to the Tory party.

Thats the facts.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh tourism tax on 22:16 - May 29 with 788 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 19:54 - May 29 by Kilkennyjack

Putin supported Brexit.
Putin gave millions to the Tory party.

Thats the facts.

Only fact in your mind I did not see Putin handing out Brexit leaflets.

PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC DRAKEFORD'S SILLY TOURISM TAX.

Welsh tourism tax on 23:44 - May 29 with 774 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 13:47 - May 29 by Kilkennyjack

there we go see, proof that remainers lie too.

How was the referendum unsafe? It was a "full blown referendum" It was pre-legislative or "advisory"

All referendums in the UK are advisory, it takes an act of Parliament to make them legally binding? Not that it matters because Cameron publicly promised that he would honour the result and do as the people chose, and you know that but you prefer to spread more lies.

Oh, last thing, that tax claim...it was using EU law that enabled corporations to avoid paying billions in taxes in the UK. They went instead to other EU members who charged lower taxes, EU tax havens if you will and they robbed the UK tax coffers blind.

PS, sorry to go off topic. Kilky mun, stop hijacking threads, are you also resloven?
[Post edited 29 May 2022 23:45]
Welsh tourism tax on 09:56 - May 30 with 726 viewsunion_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 23:44 - May 29 by Lorax

there we go see, proof that remainers lie too.

How was the referendum unsafe? It was a "full blown referendum" It was pre-legislative or "advisory"

All referendums in the UK are advisory, it takes an act of Parliament to make them legally binding? Not that it matters because Cameron publicly promised that he would honour the result and do as the people chose, and you know that but you prefer to spread more lies.

Oh, last thing, that tax claim...it was using EU law that enabled corporations to avoid paying billions in taxes in the UK. They went instead to other EU members who charged lower taxes, EU tax havens if you will and they robbed the UK tax coffers blind.

PS, sorry to go off topic. Kilky mun, stop hijacking threads, are you also resloven?
[Post edited 29 May 2022 23:45]

It was those pesky Russians don’t you know.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh tourism tax on 06:58 - Jun 17 with 603 viewsWhiterockin

Interesting read here regarding second homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61829725
Welsh tourism tax on 08:09 - Jun 17 with 571 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Seems the Welsh government policies on a tourism tax and holiday business will drive tourist away. This will result in Job losses and more tourist based business closing. This will shrink the Welsh economy result in more people relying on benefits and social housing. Not sure how this will help more people to but their own houses.

Welsh tourism tax on 10:35 - Jun 17 with 541 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 08:09 - Jun 17 by felixstowe_jack

Seems the Welsh government policies on a tourism tax and holiday business will drive tourist away. This will result in Job losses and more tourist based business closing. This will shrink the Welsh economy result in more people relying on benefits and social housing. Not sure how this will help more people to but their own houses.

I saw on the news yesterday that second home owners are selling up because of this tax. Their little plan to rent out isn't as profitable any more eh! If tourism suffers though, and jobs go, can the locals afford to buy these houses?
Welsh tourism tax on 10:42 - Jun 17 with 535 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh tourism tax on 10:35 - Jun 17 by Lorax

I saw on the news yesterday that second home owners are selling up because of this tax. Their little plan to rent out isn't as profitable any more eh! If tourism suffers though, and jobs go, can the locals afford to buy these houses?

A lot of the second homes are owned by local Welsh people. I know of one guy in Aberaeron who owns 3 properties in the village, he lives in one and rents out two and that's not counting some who live in Swansea and also own in West Wales. Some people automatically assume that the landlords are English based.
Welsh tourism tax on 11:03 - Jun 17 with 521 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 10:42 - Jun 17 by Whiterockin

A lot of the second homes are owned by local Welsh people. I know of one guy in Aberaeron who owns 3 properties in the village, he lives in one and rents out two and that's not counting some who live in Swansea and also own in West Wales. Some people automatically assume that the landlords are English based.

I didn't assume anyone was English though there are English owners obviously. This tax is affecting a lot of people.

There's a landlord in Swansea who owns a lot of houses, many are HMO's and the owners/occupiers don't all pay council tax, students mostly in this guys case. I think all property that is not your main residence should have an extra levy to cover council tax. Students can't afford to pay it they say well lets make the people taking the profit pay a bit extra to cover costs.

Instead of taxing tourists should we tax the owners who make the profits?
Welsh tourism tax on 11:16 - Jun 17 with 508 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh tourism tax on 11:03 - Jun 17 by Lorax

I didn't assume anyone was English though there are English owners obviously. This tax is affecting a lot of people.

There's a landlord in Swansea who owns a lot of houses, many are HMO's and the owners/occupiers don't all pay council tax, students mostly in this guys case. I think all property that is not your main residence should have an extra levy to cover council tax. Students can't afford to pay it they say well lets make the people taking the profit pay a bit extra to cover costs.

I totally agree with the last paragraph, but feel if you pass the tax onto the owners they will just pass it on, providing the demand is there. Drakeford has to understand Wales is not a tourist island so leave the tax alone. It will not benefit the local community in any way. Cut out the waste and he won't need to raise the tax.
Welsh tourism tax on 11:24 - Jun 17 with 500 viewsonehunglow

Welsh tourism tax on 10:35 - Jun 17 by Lorax

Not really.
My chum who bough Cae Adda in Trawsfynydd used local Labour and metals to renovate . Locals would not have taken it on.
North Wales will be hammered with this tax.
The welsh language issue is paramount ;forget the holiday homes expense. Many simply do not want the English in the village .

Still, the language will prosper even if the people do not.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 11:26]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh tourism tax on 12:47 - Jun 17 with 477 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 11:03 - Jun 17 by Lorax

I think you will find the owners are already taxed at 20% on the profits they make if they are basic taxpayers and upto 45% if they are higher rate taxpayers.

Larger companies will pay corporation tax on their profits.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024