Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh tourism tax 11:41 - Apr 13 with 17904 viewsbritferry

What you think?

I think it will be a terrible idea, it will put people off coming here.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tourism-boss-says-anti-english-236

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Welsh tourism tax on 15:53 - Apr 13 with 1089 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 14:19 - Apr 13 by controversial_jack

If we want to attract visitors here, let's make it more expensive for them. great idea, lol

Or lets make it a better place to attract even more visitors in the future perhaps …

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh tourism tax on 15:56 - Apr 13 with 1084 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 15:29 - Apr 13 by felixstowe_jack

How do you define a tourist. How does the hotel or accommodation provider know it is tourist?

Would you still charge people who book overnight accommodation for other reasons?

A) business trips
B) people who book overnight accommodation for family reasons weddings, funerals, Christenings, visiting for Christmas visiting grandchildren
C) people who stay overnight accommodation for sporting, cultural, entertainment venues
D) people who may be visiting the area house hunting while moving jobs

Will it only apply to people from outside Wales or someone from Carmarthen who stays overnight in Cardiff

Other places in the world have conquered this particular Everest, so we should probably look at copying the best proven ideas.

Welsh tourism tax on 15:57 - Apr 13 with 1082 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 15:32 - Apr 13 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

You just know the money will just be spunked away on yet another pointless vanity project in the Cardiff area.

Should be ring fenced for Tourism related investment.

Welsh tourism tax on 16:03 - Apr 13 with 1078 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 14:37 - Apr 13 by Boundy

Why and I know this may sound crazy, but why don't the WAG get off their amply sized arsis's and at least try to encourage meaningful investment into Wales instead of an over reliance on tourism, which comes with low pay , little opportunities and infrequent employment.

20 years of Welsh government with limited devolved powers can only do so much.

The UK government has overseen the shameful systemic lack of investment in many aspects of welsh life including Transport, Employment, Health, Social Care, Education, Police and Criminal Justice.

They wont even fund making safe the coal tips.
Happy enough to steal the coal though.

Annibyniaeth is the only real solution, everything in the union is a poor compromise loaded towards London and the SE.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2022 16:05]

Welsh tourism tax on 16:07 - Apr 13 with 1076 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh tourism tax on 15:29 - Apr 13 by felixstowe_jack

How do you define a tourist. How does the hotel or accommodation provider know it is tourist?

Would you still charge people who book overnight accommodation for other reasons?

A) business trips
B) people who book overnight accommodation for family reasons weddings, funerals, Christenings, visiting for Christmas visiting grandchildren
C) people who stay overnight accommodation for sporting, cultural, entertainment venues
D) people who may be visiting the area house hunting while moving jobs

Will it only apply to people from outside Wales or someone from Carmarthen who stays overnight in Cardiff

As I said in my post, I’d charge it against every booking at a hotel, B&B, camping etc etc. Other places like Bath, London, Edinburgh were already looking at this pre covid and lots of places around the World already have tourist charges.

The 1 caveat I’d have is the tourist tax would be very low.

Air Passenger Duty differentiate between business and tourist passengers and neither would I. Talking of APD, requests by WAG to be placed on an equal footing with NI and Scotland have control of APD have been continuously rejected. Maybe if the WG had control we’d see taxes reduced.
Welsh tourism tax on 16:12 - Apr 13 with 1068 viewsEbo

Welsh tourism tax on 11:47 - Apr 13 by union_jack

I can only echo what was said in the article that to even consider this is unfathomable.

The WG just want to shoot themselves in the foot at any or every opportunity.

Incentives are needed not barriers.

Aye up Dic Sion Dafydd has had a babycham

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Welsh tourism tax on 16:15 - Apr 13 with 1062 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Welsh tourism tax on 16:03 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

20 years of Welsh government with limited devolved powers can only do so much.

The UK government has overseen the shameful systemic lack of investment in many aspects of welsh life including Transport, Employment, Health, Social Care, Education, Police and Criminal Justice.

They wont even fund making safe the coal tips.
Happy enough to steal the coal though.

Annibyniaeth is the only real solution, everything in the union is a poor compromise loaded towards London and the SE.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2022 16:05]

Those areas are fully devolved and we get more money per head than in England. We also have power to raise additional funds if needed.

We can’t blame Westminster for this shambles.
Welsh tourism tax on 16:20 - Apr 13 with 1055 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 16:15 - Apr 13 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Those areas are fully devolved and we get more money per head than in England. We also have power to raise additional funds if needed.

We can’t blame Westminster for this shambles.

We get more money per head because of how poor the uk government has made wales post coal, copper, and steel.

Its not a good thing at all.

Even the EU had to try to get structural monies to Wales, as Wales was the poorest part of Western Europe.
Just 3 hours from the richest part.

Criminal really, uncaring at best.

The tired old union only works for London. 🇬🇧

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh tourism tax on 16:26 - Apr 13 with 1047 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 16:20 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

We get more money per head because of how poor the uk government has made wales post coal, copper, and steel.

Its not a good thing at all.

Even the EU had to try to get structural monies to Wales, as Wales was the poorest part of Western Europe.
Just 3 hours from the richest part.

Criminal really, uncaring at best.

The tired old union only works for London. 🇬🇧

You would think after 20 years of devolution and £50 billion in subsidies Welsh Labour might have improved things. Instead things continue yo get worse in Wales

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh tourism tax on 16:42 - Apr 13 with 1036 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 16:26 - Apr 13 by felixstowe_jack

You would think after 20 years of devolution and £50 billion in subsidies Welsh Labour might have improved things. Instead things continue yo get worse in Wales

Its an improvement, of course, but the amount of neglect was staggering and will take far more than 20 years to address.

Thatcher and Thatcherite policies to blame.
‘No such thing as society’ …. Says she.

Welsh tourism tax on 17:24 - Apr 13 with 1011 viewsGwyn737

Welsh tourism tax on 16:42 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

Its an improvement, of course, but the amount of neglect was staggering and will take far more than 20 years to address.

Thatcher and Thatcherite policies to blame.
‘No such thing as society’ …. Says she.

Which bits of your list have improved?
Welsh tourism tax on 17:33 - Apr 13 with 1008 viewsTreforys_Jack

Welsh tourism tax on 15:51 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

So … sick welsh people pay for facilities for tourists - not sure its the winning idea that you think it is.

I get what you're saying but its a niggle of mine, I do think people should pay a small fee for their health care, this is obviously means tested and certain condition excempt, like it was previously.
The under investment in Wales is a disgrace and has always been, I worked underground for a while and closing the mines was the best thing thatcher ever did, however the scandalous lack of a plan to replace the jobs lost was and is still a crime.
Welsh tourism tax on 17:52 - Apr 13 with 995 viewsraynor94

Welsh tourism tax on 17:33 - Apr 13 by Treforys_Jack

I get what you're saying but its a niggle of mine, I do think people should pay a small fee for their health care, this is obviously means tested and certain condition excempt, like it was previously.
The under investment in Wales is a disgrace and has always been, I worked underground for a while and closing the mines was the best thing thatcher ever did, however the scandalous lack of a plan to replace the jobs lost was and is still a crime.

Of course we should be paying more towards health care, and prescriptions should be means tested

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Welsh tourism tax on 18:33 - Apr 13 with 960 viewscontroversial_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 17:52 - Apr 13 by raynor94

Of course we should be paying more towards health care, and prescriptions should be means tested

Why?
Welsh tourism tax on 18:46 - Apr 13 with 949 views73__73

Vote labour, stay poor 👍

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Welsh tourism tax on 18:47 - Apr 13 with 949 viewsraynor94

Welsh tourism tax on 18:33 - Apr 13 by controversial_jack

Why?

Do you object to paying for prescriptions? It's absolutely pathetic that people who can quite obviously afford them get them free.

Means test them

Welsh tourism tax on 18:51 - Apr 13 with 945 views73__73

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”

Winston Churchill.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Welsh tourism tax on 19:10 - Apr 13 with 934 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh tourism tax on 18:47 - Apr 13 by raynor94

Do you object to paying for prescriptions? It's absolutely pathetic that people who can quite obviously afford them get them free.

Means test them

I’ve got mixed feelings on this. It makes sense that people who can afford to pay should pay, but on the other hand lots of people who pay in to keep things going get nowt back except a prescription, while there are others who take take take without putting anything in. It’s a difficult call.

What does make my blood boil is people getting a pack of paracetamol on prescription, they literally are pence.
Welsh tourism tax on 19:24 - Apr 13 with 919 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh tourism tax on 19:10 - Apr 13 by majorraglan

I’ve got mixed feelings on this. It makes sense that people who can afford to pay should pay, but on the other hand lots of people who pay in to keep things going get nowt back except a prescription, while there are others who take take take without putting anything in. It’s a difficult call.

What does make my blood boil is people getting a pack of paracetamol on prescription, they literally are pence.

Personally, I think that everyone with illnesses that require long term medication should have free prescriptions, those that need short term medication should pay.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh tourism tax on 19:24 - Apr 13 with 919 views73__73

Welsh tourism tax on 15:51 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

So … sick welsh people pay for facilities for tourists - not sure its the winning idea that you think it is.

Jesus, did you really write that 😂
Tourism in Wales brings in a lot of money for businesses in wales and employs thousands upon thousands of people. Tourism tax in wales is extremely good news for the south west of England and other regions in the U.K. who will undoubtedly benefit from people boycotting wales, which will definitely happen.

Vote labour stay poor.

Welsh tourism tax on 19:31 - Apr 13 with 914 viewsTreforys_Jack

Welsh tourism tax on 19:24 - Apr 13 by Flashberryjack

Personally, I think that everyone with illnesses that require long term medication should have free prescriptions, those that need short term medication should pay.

Agreed, as was the case previously.
Welsh tourism tax on 19:41 - Apr 13 with 909 viewsraynor94

Welsh tourism tax on 19:10 - Apr 13 by majorraglan

Your last paragraph is spot on

Welsh tourism tax on 19:58 - Apr 13 with 898 viewsunion_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 16:12 - Apr 13 by Ebo

Aye up Dic Sion Dafydd has had a babycham

Well I’ve no idea who this Dic chap is but what I do know is that Wales loses out to Devon, Cornwall and The Lake District to tourism. These areas are much more popular although Gower is starting to become more popular. I know, I run a holiday home.

We need to get people used to coming here year in year out before slapping a tax in them and risking losing them to other areas in the UK.

I don’t expect Welsh nats to understand because I’m sure they’d build a wall along the border to deter strangers coming in😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh tourism tax on 20:07 - Apr 13 with 894 viewsEagleEye

Welsh tourism tax on 15:53 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

Or lets make it a better place to attract even more visitors in the future perhaps …

Absolutely let’s make it a better place to visit.

The Welsh government should start by sorting out the transport network. The motorway speed restrictions, traffic jams & extortionate rail & bus prices would be a good place to start
Welsh tourism tax on 21:03 - Apr 13 with 863 viewsSirjohnalot

Welsh tourism tax on 18:47 - Apr 13 by raynor94

Means test them

Yes, we pay for prescriptions in England, don’t see why not. Helps the NHS
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024