Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh tourism tax 11:41 - Apr 13 with 17784 viewsbritferry

What you think?

I think it will be a terrible idea, it will put people off coming here.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tourism-boss-says-anti-english-236

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Welsh tourism tax on 21:08 - Apr 13 with 832 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh tourism tax on 20:07 - Apr 13 by EagleEye

Absolutely let’s make it a better place to visit.

The Welsh government should start by sorting out the transport network. The motorway speed restrictions, traffic jams & extortionate rail & bus prices would be a good place to start

Totally agree with a lot you’ve written here. I recently heard an article on the radio where they were discussing WG plans to reform bus services reversing Mrs Thatchers deregulation from the 80/90’s. A lot of commentators think that’s a positive and will result in more integrated services, but it could cost a bit more especially if they are looking at improving public transport in rural areas. She deregulated bus transport everywhere apart from London.
Welsh tourism tax on 21:18 - Apr 13 with 811 viewsScotia

Welsh tourism tax on 21:03 - Apr 13 by Sirjohnalot

Yes, we pay for prescriptions in England, don’t see why not. Helps the NHS

This really annoys me and is a symptom of devolution in Wales. But the list goes on.

Sir Terry Matthews, who I think is the only Welsh billionaire, gets a free prescription in Newport. But someone earning minimum wage in Bristol has to pay towards their prescription.

Yet Wales has the worst performing NHS in the UK? Surely an extra contribution from those who can afford it would be welcome?
Welsh tourism tax on 21:27 - Apr 13 with 802 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 18:51 - Apr 13 by 73__73

“We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”

Winston Churchill.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Spoiler alert . .. nobody has suggested this .. 🤷‍♂️

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh tourism tax on 21:32 - Apr 13 with 790 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 20:07 - Apr 13 by EagleEye

Absolutely let’s make it a better place to visit.

The Welsh government should start by sorting out the transport network. The motorway speed restrictions, traffic jams & extortionate rail & bus prices would be a good place to start

Great idea.

We could have used the HS2 monies due to us to build a north to south link road.
Would have a huge impact on tourism and culturally.

Shame that the Tory govt gave HS2 monies to Scotland and the north of Ireland, but gave nothing to wales.

HS2 is deemed an England and Wales project even though not a mile is in Wales.
Poor Wales pays for wealthy Englands HS2.

Robbery.

Welsh tourism tax on 21:33 - Apr 13 with 788 viewsScotia

And to reply to the original post.

A tourism tax in Wales is a monumentally stupid idea.
Welsh tourism tax on 21:35 - Apr 13 with 786 viewsBoundy

Welsh tourism tax on 21:27 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

Spoiler alert . .. nobody has suggested this .. 🤷‍♂️

Try reading the title of the thread ,its content and subject matter . I think you'll find its quite relevant and exactly what WAG are proposing

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh tourism tax on 21:38 - Apr 13 with 780 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:18 - Apr 13 by Scotia

This really annoys me and is a symptom of devolution in Wales. But the list goes on.

Sir Terry Matthews, who I think is the only Welsh billionaire, gets a free prescription in Newport. But someone earning minimum wage in Bristol has to pay towards their prescription.

Yet Wales has the worst performing NHS in the UK? Surely an extra contribution from those who can afford it would be welcome?

Wales is not England.

For every Terry Matthews there are million welsh people who greatly benefit from free prescriptions because they are sick.

Means tested benefits always means lower take up by citizens, so poor people will end up not getting the medication they need.

Thats why free prescriptions has value and works better.

And old Terry pays a lot of tax so he is not realky getting anything for free is he. Dull example.

Welsh tourism tax on 21:42 - Apr 13 with 777 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:35 - Apr 13 by Boundy

Try reading the title of the thread ,its content and subject matter . I think you'll find its quite relevant and exactly what WAG are proposing

No its not - its a specific targeted tax.
Reinvested in welsh tourism it will build for the better future of welsh tourism.

Nothing to do with widespread taxation, or Winston Churchill, whom the welsh people hated and never voted for ….. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh tourism tax on 21:43 - Apr 13 with 775 views73__73

Welsh tourism tax on 21:42 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

Reinvested in welsh tourism it will build for the better future of welsh tourism.

Nothing to do with widespread taxation, or Winston Churchill, whom the welsh people hated and never voted for ….. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

You are thicker than a canteen mug.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Welsh tourism tax on 21:51 - Apr 13 with 771 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:43 - Apr 13 by 73__73

You are thicker than a canteen mug.

👛 ….

Welsh tourism tax on 21:57 - Apr 13 with 769 viewsunion_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:18 - Apr 13 by Scotia

The problem is that means testing would be more expensive than a blanket policy.

I think free prescriptions has been one if the better things the WG has done. I have a chronic condition which requires medication that would cost me a fortune. It has helped me enormously.

Perhaps those in one-off meds such as antibiotics could pay but those with a constant need should get them free. This could be dealt with by the doctor / pharmacy.

However, let’s not forget the rationale behind free prescriptions and that is that everyone gets treatment regardless of wealth and therefore a healthier population.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh tourism tax on 21:59 - Apr 13 with 767 viewsScotia

Welsh tourism tax on 21:38 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

Wales is not England.

For every Terry Matthews there are million welsh people who greatly benefit from free prescriptions because they are sick.

Means tested benefits always means lower take up by citizens, so poor people will end up not getting the medication they need.

And old Terry pays a lot of tax so he is not realky getting anything for free is he. Dull example.

It's not just Terry though is it? Its me, my Mrs and friends.

I could afford to pay a contribution to my prescription but I don't. Someone in my situation in England would pay.

Yet our NHS is a bit of a shambles and calling an ambulance is almost pointless. It's not on.

Surely everyone paying a sliding scale for prescriptions isn't too much to ask?
Welsh tourism tax on 22:03 - Apr 13 with 757 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:59 - Apr 13 by Scotia

I could afford to pay a contribution to my prescription but I don't. Someone in my situation in England would pay.

Yet our NHS is a bit of a shambles and calling an ambulance is almost pointless. It's not on.

Wales is not England.

If you pay your taxes you are doing your bit.
Nom dom Tories dont pay their taxes in the uk.

Means tested systems are expensive to administer and always have lower take ups.

Wales doing the right thing.

Welsh tourism tax on 22:23 - Apr 13 with 751 viewsraynor94

Wales is not England.

Can you afford to pay for prescriptions? are you happy to pay more towards the NHS?

These things should be means tested.

We have become a nanny state, far to many expecting things for nothing.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Welsh tourism tax on 22:40 - Apr 13 with 742 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales is not England.

There are only 3 million people in Wales so how can millions benefit from free prescriptions.

Children get free prescriptions anyway, so do over 65s. In fact 90% of people in England get free prescriptions.
Therefore only 300,000 people in Wales benefit from free prescriptions.

Why do you keep making these stupid exaggerated claims?

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh tourism tax on 22:43 - Apr 13 with 733 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:42 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

The same Winston Churchill who saved Wales from living under the NAZI jackboot. Most Welsh people thanked him for that at the time and certainly did not hate him.
Yet another silly exaggerated claim.

Welsh tourism tax on 22:46 - Apr 13 with 729 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 21:59 - Apr 13 by Scotia

Correct and the maximum anyone ever has to pay in year £108 hardly a fortune or £30 for 3 months with a prepaid prescription certificate.

Welsh tourism tax on 13:55 - Apr 14 with 674 viewsTreforys_Jack

Welsh tourism tax on 18:33 - Apr 13 by controversial_jack

Why?

To reinvest back into the Wales NHS, which if you haven't noticed is the worst performing NHS in the UK.
Welsh tourism tax on 14:29 - Apr 14 with 663 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 22:43 - Apr 13 by felixstowe_jack

The same Winston Churchill who saved Wales from living under the NAZI jackboot. Most Welsh people thanked him for that at the time and certainly did not hate him.
Yet another silly exaggerated claim.

You sure about that ?

What was that old song ?
Thats it …. ‘We will make old Winston Churchill smoke a Woodbine every day …’
Repeat.
Does not sound like the working man thought a lot of him.

The 1945 election result will come as a huge shock to you.

‘The final result of the election showed Labour to have won a landslide victory,[2] making a net gain of 239 seats and winning 47.7% of the popular vote, thus allowing Attlee to be appointed prime minister. This election marked the first time that the Labour Party had won an outright majority in parliament, and allowed Attlee to begin implementing the party's post-war reforms for the country.[3] For the Conservatives, the Labour victory was a shock,[4] as they suffered a net loss of 189 seats although they won 36.2% of the vote and had campaigned on the mistaken belief that Churchill would win.’

Welsh tourism tax on 15:43 - Apr 14 with 651 viewsBoundy

Welsh tourism tax on 14:29 - Apr 14 by Kilkennyjack

You sure about that ?

What was that old song ?
Thats it …. ‘We will make old Winston Churchill smoke a Woodbine every day …’
Repeat.
Does not sound like the working man thought a lot of him.

The 1945 election result will come as a huge shock to you.

‘The final result of the election showed Labour to have won a landslide victory,[2] making a net gain of 239 seats and winning 47.7% of the popular vote, thus allowing Attlee to be appointed prime minister. This election marked the first time that the Labour Party had won an outright majority in parliament, and allowed Attlee to begin implementing the party's post-war reforms for the country.[3] For the Conservatives, the Labour victory was a shock,[4] as they suffered a net loss of 189 seats although they won 36.2% of the vote and had campaigned on the mistaken belief that Churchill would win.’

meanwhile in todays Wales . No investment or real jobs , an ageing population (by design) and poor leadership.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh tourism tax on 15:48 - Apr 14 with 647 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 15:43 - Apr 14 by Boundy

meanwhile in todays Wales . No investment or real jobs , an ageing population (by design) and poor leadership.

Yes we need out of the UK and away from the crooked Tory government that Wales never votes for.

Welcome aboard the Indy bus comrade … 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🚌

Welsh tourism tax on 17:04 - Apr 14 with 631 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 16:20 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

We get more money per head because of how poor the uk government has made wales post coal, copper, and steel.

Its not a good thing at all.

Even the EU had to try to get structural monies to Wales, as Wales was the poorest part of Western Europe.
Just 3 hours from the richest part.

Criminal really, uncaring at best.

The tired old union only works for London. 🇬🇧

Westminster could never win with you, no matter what. Wales should get more money you say, someone points out we do and you moan.

You say the EU gave us money yet it was our money returned to us and a tiny percentage of what we get from Westminster, in 20 years the EU hadn't given us as much as one year of Westminster subsidy.

3 hours travel, you know there are very many VERY rich areas 5 minutes from slums in most big cities.

The EU is a union that only works for some.
Welsh tourism tax on 19:24 - Apr 14 with 606 viewscontroversial_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 22:23 - Apr 13 by raynor94

Can you afford to pay for prescriptions? are you happy to pay more towards the NHS?

These things should be means tested.

We have become a nanny state, far to many expecting things for nothing.

Rising prices everywhere, ppl struggling and you want to push up health care? Westmister has found £100 million to send to the Ukraine for weapons
Welsh tourism tax on 19:33 - Apr 14 with 601 viewsLorax

Wales is not England.

Means testing is so people who can afford to pay do pay so there is more ability to give poorer people the service for free though.

I have the same qualms about child benefit, why give it to the better off as a universal benefit when there are poorer people in greater need?

I know where the quote is from but "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" sort of covers it. Those who can afford to pay should so those who can't afford to pay can get it on benefits.

It's interesting that you think billionaires should get free stuff at the tax payers expense in a country with so many sick people and food banks.
Welsh tourism tax on 22:28 - Apr 14 with 578 viewsScotia

Welsh tourism tax on 19:33 - Apr 14 by Lorax

Means testing is so people who can afford to pay do pay so there is more ability to give poorer people the service for free though.

I have the same qualms about child benefit, why give it to the better off as a universal benefit when there are poorer people in greater need?

I know where the quote is from but "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" sort of covers it. Those who can afford to pay should so those who can't afford to pay can get it on benefits.

It's interesting that you think billionaires should get free stuff at the tax payers expense in a country with so many sick people and food banks.

I'd rope child benefit in to it too. I hadn't really thought about it.

My earnings have gone over the threshold, so we don't get it anymore even though my wife now works part time so we're probably worse off on the whole.

Why should two parents earning £49.9k a year each qualify for an extra £80 a month? Do a family earing £99.9k need a tax payer top up?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024