Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ 21:35 - Apr 19 with 1601 viewsSwansIndependent

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ 19th Apr 2022 21:34
Swansea City manager Russell Martin has opened up about the financial situation at Swansea and declared that the club realises it has to sell one or two players every year. It probably isn’t what swans fans want to hear but the inevitable inquiries are most certainly on their way. 0

Russell Martin’s Barmy army, click above.
Same below 😂

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 22:01 - Apr 19 with 1529 viewsA_Fans_Dad

As we all guessed.
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 22:02 - Apr 19 with 1529 viewsSTID2017

No surprise there.
We are a club that will always need to sell to balance the books.
Better that than slip down the leagues

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 22:05 - Apr 19 with 1518 viewsKeithHaynes

I’m smiling here, he’s a master with words.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 22:05 - Apr 19 with 1517 viewsDr_Winston

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 22:01 - Apr 19 by A_Fans_Dad

As we all guessed.

Not a guess. Simple reality.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 06:53 - Apr 20 with 1377 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Well as Erasure one said “it doesn’t have to be like that”.

If we could have managed any semblance of consistency we could have made the play offs. But we didn’t . Given the very good performances of late (and for 6 games in the autumn) RM should be kicking himself over the amount of winnable games we’ve lost and crazy amount of goals we’ve shipped.

The last two games where winning both of them would have given us a real chance of making it were bottled - Friday was a step back from the quick attacking football we’d been playing into the turgid lethargy of January and February and Mondays game was tossed away criminally.
Is it a lack of fitness, rotation or a winning mentality? Probably a mix of all three but the managers responsibility.

The agonising thing is we have the tools to have won the playoffs whereas Cooper’s side didn’t seem to (looking specifically at last years play off final).

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 08:12 - Apr 20 with 1328 viewsWhiterockin

I think it comes down to how good the coaching team is to develop players to get the best price. Added to a good recruitment structure investing in excellent potential ready to be polished. There will always be player failures, but its the only way we can develop as a club.
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 10:41 - Apr 20 with 1253 viewsLorax

The only players other teams will want will be the three players we all want to keep (all except Mandy Cole anyway) that's Piroe, Oba and DOWNES.

If we sell any 2 of them we will already be facing an uphill battle because goalscorers are hard to find and expensive to buy. We had a massive bargain with Piroe and those don't come along very often, then to get Oba and to turn him around, hats off to Martin there, how likely are we to find 2 more strikers as good as them that we can afford? I think its a given that whatever we get in inward fees, only 20-30% of it will be spent.
If we sell all three, what will happen next season, will other players see it as a big negative and ask to leave? If we could keep all 3 it would be a massive sign of intent and a positive message to any we are trying to sign.

Keeping all three though is a financial gamble for our owners as it means spending more without getting any back immediately. We can be pretty sure the owners wont make that bet.
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 10:46 - Apr 20 with 1245 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 10:41 - Apr 20 by Lorax

The only players other teams will want will be the three players we all want to keep (all except Mandy Cole anyway) that's Piroe, Oba and DOWNES.

If we sell any 2 of them we will already be facing an uphill battle because goalscorers are hard to find and expensive to buy. We had a massive bargain with Piroe and those don't come along very often, then to get Oba and to turn him around, hats off to Martin there, how likely are we to find 2 more strikers as good as them that we can afford? I think its a given that whatever we get in inward fees, only 20-30% of it will be spent.
If we sell all three, what will happen next season, will other players see it as a big negative and ask to leave? If we could keep all 3 it would be a massive sign of intent and a positive message to any we are trying to sign.

Keeping all three though is a financial gamble for our owners as it means spending more without getting any back immediately. We can be pretty sure the owners wont make that bet.

To progree ,we surely have to do whatever we can to keep our best players;outtanding players in Piroe. We don't ALWAYS have to ell to the first bidder.

Mitrovic stayed where he was as has Pukki at Norwich. It i all about keeping them happy,motivated and wanted. It should also be pointed out to them the grass is not always greener and that another season will see their value explode ,which I would suggest would be the case with Piroe.
It is all about the owners and their resources and there's the rub.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 11:34 - Apr 20 with 1206 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 06:53 - Apr 20 by Brynmill_Jack

If we could have managed any semblance of consistency we could have made the play offs. But we didn’t . Given the very good performances of late (and for 6 games in the autumn) RM should be kicking himself over the amount of winnable games we’ve lost and crazy amount of goals we’ve shipped.

The last two games where winning both of them would have given us a real chance of making it were bottled - Friday was a step back from the quick attacking football we’d been playing into the turgid lethargy of January and February and Mondays game was tossed away criminally.
Is it a lack of fitness, rotation or a winning mentality? Probably a mix of all three but the managers responsibility.

The agonising thing is we have the tools to have won the playoffs whereas Cooper’s side didn’t seem to (looking specifically at last years play off final).

Those extra four points from Friday and Monday would have put us in the big seats for play off promotion, but as you said it was bottled, however, I’m still unsure that promotion would have worked for us this season, as I said it could easily have destroyed us.,

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 12:01 - Apr 20 with 1176 viewsvetchonian

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 10:41 - Apr 20 by Lorax

It is interesting that both Obafemi and Piroe were targets of the prvious regime I wonder if Allen et al have any similar gems lined up

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 13:33 - Apr 20 with 1092 viewsTreforys_Jack

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 12:01 - Apr 20 by vetchonian

It is interesting that both Obafemi and Piroe were targets of the prvious regime I wonder if Allen et al have any similar gems lined up

That's the million dollar question, if he scouted Downes, fair enough, but that's more than balanced out with Fisher. I would hope the powers that be's alarm bells are ringing over his pursuit of Fisher.
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 17:09 - Apr 20 with 1024 viewsReslovenSwan1

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 13:33 - Apr 20 by Treforys_Jack

That's the million dollar question, if he scouted Downes, fair enough, but that's more than balanced out with Fisher. I would hope the powers that be's alarm bells are ringing over his pursuit of Fisher.

The concern is if Piroe and Obafemi were Scott picks. Mr Scott talked about establishing a system and methodology that took about 3 or 4 years to establish. Hopefully these players would have come through the system not Mr Scott in particular. This means the train of talent can be expected to continue.

Scott left to join Cooper (via Middlesborough). I wondered if they might have not worked well together with Scott having sidelined Manning, Freeman, Hamer, Goykeres for example. Clearly not.

The US owners are clearly in step with modern recruitment methodology having parachuted a US guy in while in the PL. He complained a little that the locals did not engage. I think those days are gone There is harmony in the camp and a feeling of all pulling in the right direction including the minority share holders.

In my opinion fans should not get uptight about players going as long as good prices are paid and recruitment is good. "Ayew is irreplaceable and Swansea are bound to struggle for goals" might have been the narrative last season. This was false.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 17:10]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 17:14 - Apr 20 with 1010 viewsDr_Winston

Brentford had/have a seemingly effortless ability to continually identify prolific strikers. We signed both Piroe and Obafemi in the same summer.

It would be foolish to discount Scott's influence considering his involvement in the recruitment processes at both clubs.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 18:51 - Apr 20 with 954 viewsBillyChong

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 17:09 - Apr 20 by ReslovenSwan1

The concern is if Piroe and Obafemi were Scott picks. Mr Scott talked about establishing a system and methodology that took about 3 or 4 years to establish. Hopefully these players would have come through the system not Mr Scott in particular. This means the train of talent can be expected to continue.

Scott left to join Cooper (via Middlesborough). I wondered if they might have not worked well together with Scott having sidelined Manning, Freeman, Hamer, Goykeres for example. Clearly not.

The US owners are clearly in step with modern recruitment methodology having parachuted a US guy in while in the PL. He complained a little that the locals did not engage. I think those days are gone There is harmony in the camp and a feeling of all pulling in the right direction including the minority share holders.

In my opinion fans should not get uptight about players going as long as good prices are paid and recruitment is good. "Ayew is irreplaceable and Swansea are bound to struggle for goals" might have been the narrative last season. This was false.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 17:10]

The US money ball guy was utterly useless and soon scuttled off never to be heard of again.
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 10:49 - Apr 21 with 834 viewsLorax

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 11:34 - Apr 20 by KeithHaynes

Those extra four points from Friday and Monday would have put us in the big seats for play off promotion, but as you said it was bottled, however, I’m still unsure that promotion would have worked for us this season, as I said it could easily have destroyed us.,

It might have destroyed us OR, if we went up but didnt go berserk, kept a tight lid on spending and no big pay rises but big bonuses for staying up...what then?

What if we accepted we would be relegated but just took the money and used it wisely, as they seem to have been doing?

There is rarely a perfect time for anything and you just have to take your chances when they come along and do the best you can with it.
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 11:03 - Apr 21 with 826 viewsSTID2017

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 10:49 - Apr 21 by Lorax

It might have destroyed us OR, if we went up but didnt go berserk, kept a tight lid on spending and no big pay rises but big bonuses for staying up...what then?

What if we accepted we would be relegated but just took the money and used it wisely, as they seem to have been doing?

There is rarely a perfect time for anything and you just have to take your chances when they come along and do the best you can with it.

Agreed.
Brentford and one or two others bucked the trend.
Others, such as Forest, Derby, Reading, and no doubt others have skirted around the play offs without making it.
Imagine what Barnsley must be thinking ?
They were three games from winning promotion to the EPL now they face football in the third tier.
I guess they would have loved even one season up there, rather than now facing relegation ?
Strike while the irons hot I would say.
This squad could be ripped apart in the summer and the replacements may not gel the same

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 12:08 - Apr 21 with 794 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 11:03 - Apr 21 by STID2017

Agreed.
Others, such as Forest, Derby, Reading, and no doubt others have skirted around the play offs without making it.
They were three games from winning promotion to the EPL now they face football in the third tier.
I guess they would have loved even one season up there, rather than now facing relegation ?
This squad could be ripped apart in the summer and the replacements may not gel the same

This is how I see Barnsley last season. Valerien Ismael played a very intensive game and with the 5 substitutes rule last season he got away with it, often making substitutions at halftime. He went to west Brom and he couldn't replicate it this season with only 3 subs allowed and was sacked. Barsleys relative success was "of its time" and a flash in the pan.
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 13:14 - Apr 21 with 755 viewsSTID2017

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 12:08 - Apr 21 by Whiterockin

This is how I see Barnsley last season. Valerien Ismael played a very intensive game and with the 5 substitutes rule last season he got away with it, often making substitutions at halftime. He went to west Brom and he couldn't replicate it this season with only 3 subs allowed and was sacked. Barsleys relative success was "of its time" and a flash in the pan.

Fair enough.
Ask any Barnsley fan would they rather have had one season with the big boys and a boosted bank balance or an entire season battling relegation.
It's a no brainer for me

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 13:59 - Apr 21 with 728 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 11:03 - Apr 21 by STID2017

Agreed.

Yes, what is just one season in the prem worth in total if you don't bother to spend any more than you would have in the championship?
Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 15:04 - Apr 21 with 704 viewsSTID2017

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 13:59 - Apr 21 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes, what is just one season in the prem worth in total if you don't bother to spend any more than you would have in the championship?

Do the three teams all get parachute payments ?
Plus whatever they earned in Sky payments ?
If they have been frugal then could be okay?

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 16:28 - Apr 21 with 678 viewsYouBackJastard

Russell Martin : ‘We probably will have to sell one or two every year’ on 06:53 - Apr 20 by Brynmill_Jack

Promotion at this stage would have been awful IMO as others have mentioned. Next season with a preseason behind us and a full year to master and perfect our gameplan and dominate the league would set us up for success in the premier league and eventually in Europe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024