Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Privatising Channel 4 12:30 - May 22 with 588 viewsGwyn737

Anyone know the positive reasons for doing this?

I can’t make them out from Nadine Dorris, who seems to making an excellent fist of taking Diane Abbott’s daftest MP title.
Privatising Channel 4 on 12:35 - May 22 with 576 viewsLorax

They should have to stand by themselves, there is no good case for subsidising a tv station with tax payers money. There are far more important and urgent cases who need that money. NHS, schools, police to start with and every penny counts.
Privatising Channel 4 on 12:38 - May 22 with 568 viewsGwyn737

Privatising Channel 4 on 12:35 - May 22 by Lorax

They should have to stand by themselves, there is no good case for subsidising a tv station with tax payers money. There are far more important and urgent cases who need that money. NHS, schools, police to start with and every penny counts.

But it doesn’t receive any public funding and is incredibly profitable 🤷🏻
Privatising Channel 4 on 12:39 - May 22 with 565 viewsDr_Winston

I don't think anyone really cares. Half the population probably thought that they already were.

There is already one State owned Broadcaster. There doesn't need to be two.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Privatising Channel 4 on 12:40 - May 22 with 559 viewsGwyn737

Privatising Channel 4 on 12:39 - May 22 by Dr_Winston

I don't think anyone really cares. Half the population probably thought that they already were.

There is already one State owned Broadcaster. There doesn't need to be two.

Seems short sited to me, shifting on a profitable asset.
Privatising Channel 4 on 12:51 - May 22 with 546 viewsLorax

Privatising Channel 4 on 12:38 - May 22 by Gwyn737

But it doesn’t receive any public funding and is incredibly profitable 🤷🏻

Things have changed since 2018 and to be honest, i don't pay any attention to S4C. I don't think there should be any license fee, the BBC should have to stand on its own 2 feet too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43569372

If its profitable then it can stand alone and pay taxes but I have seen stories about viewing figures of officially zero so where does it make money? Selling programmes abroad that get dubbed?
Privatising Channel 4 on 12:53 - May 22 with 545 viewsGwyn737

Privatising Channel 4 on 12:51 - May 22 by Lorax

Things have changed since 2018 and to be honest, i don't pay any attention to S4C. I don't think there should be any license fee, the BBC should have to stand on its own 2 feet too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43569372

If its profitable then it can stand alone and pay taxes but I have seen stories about viewing figures of officially zero so where does it make money? Selling programmes abroad that get dubbed?

I should have been clearer - I’m on about Channel 4 not S4C
Privatising Channel 4 on 17:49 - May 22 with 500 viewsLorax

Privatising Channel 4 on 12:53 - May 22 by Gwyn737

I should have been clearer - I’m on about Channel 4 not S4C

No sorry, my bad, it does say Channel 4. The same view stands though, it should stand on its own two feet and pay taxes on it's profits.

I'm all for water, gas and electricity being nationalised though, they are essential services and shouldn't be subject to the forces that have seen prices rise beyond the reasonable.

My thanks to Trampie for pointing out the obvious error!
[Post edited 22 May 2022 18:18]
Privatising Channel 4 on 18:13 - May 22 with 490 viewstrampie

Privatising Channel 4 on 17:49 - May 22 by Lorax

No sorry, my bad, it does say Channel 4. The same view stands though, it should stand on its own two feet and pay taxes on it's profits.

I'm all for water, gas and electricity being nationalised though, they are essential services and shouldn't be subject to the forces that have seen prices rise beyond the reasonable.

My thanks to Trampie for pointing out the obvious error!
[Post edited 22 May 2022 18:18]

Why would you want industries vital to the country privatised ?, I will never understand the logic of capitalists that put profit before people.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

Privatising Channel 4 on 18:39 - May 22 with 471 viewsmajorraglan

Channel 4 is publicly owned but it operates on a commercial basis and doesn’t receive any subsidies from the State. It’s income is derived from advertising and all the profit is reinvested in to programme making. Channel 4 doesn’t make any of it own material, it’s all made by independent companies.

As for why it’s being sold off, well it could be so that the profit can be creamed off, or it could be because C4 ask awkward questions and don’t give any political party an easy time, if the BBC and C4 are flogged off then we may lose the 2 organisations who try to ask the awkward questions of those in power.
Privatising Channel 4 on 19:11 - May 22 with 449 viewstrampie

Privatising Channel 4 on 18:39 - May 22 by majorraglan

Channel 4 is publicly owned but it operates on a commercial basis and doesn’t receive any subsidies from the State. It’s income is derived from advertising and all the profit is reinvested in to programme making. Channel 4 doesn’t make any of it own material, it’s all made by independent companies.

As for why it’s being sold off, well it could be so that the profit can be creamed off, or it could be because C4 ask awkward questions and don’t give any political party an easy time, if the BBC and C4 are flogged off then we may lose the 2 organisations who try to ask the awkward questions of those in power.

Channel 4 have been great asking politicians awkward questions far better than the Beeb or Sky in recent years.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Privatising Channel 4 on 20:15 - May 22 with 434 viewsKilkennyjack

You must be talking about the BBC, in which case i agree with you.
Its not fit for purpose.
Its just a Royals kissarse fan-fest. North Korean style.

On the other hand, Channel 4 takes no public money.
They are privatising it due to C4 news asking Johnson hard questions.
Amazing there is nothing deeper than that.

Beware of the Risen People

Privatising Channel 4 on 21:05 - May 22 with 416 viewsLorax

Privatising Channel 4 on 20:15 - May 22 by Kilkennyjack

You must be talking about the BBC, in which case i agree with you.
Its not fit for purpose.
Its just a Royals kissarse fan-fest. North Korean style.

On the other hand, Channel 4 takes no public money.
They are privatising it due to C4 news asking Johnson hard questions.
Amazing there is nothing deeper than that.

Yes the BBC too. Very few tv journo's put real pressure on politicians. Jo Coburn gave Nadhim Zahawi a good grilling earlier today though, Andrew Neill was quite strong.

We don't need to ask Johnson any more questions, we know he is a two faced, deceitful, lying, reckless, dangerous man who isn't fit to be in office. All we have to do is wait for the election and vote some other two faced, deceitful, lying, reckless, dangerous politician into power.

That is likely what will happen, whoever wins. I have a low opinion of politicians, haven't you noticed?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024