Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs 12:11 - Jun 1 with 1648 viewsSirjohnalot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61657095

Be fascinating to see what happens.

They've not gone as far as the State supplying to addicts but they are focussing on rehabilitation.

Next step is state sanctioned supply which could devastate criminal gangs, make it safer for users etc.

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 12:17 - Jun 1 with 1631 viewsDr_Winston

Good luck to them.

Taking crime out of the supply could eventually do huge amounts of societal good.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 12:39 - Jun 1 with 1620 viewsSirjohnalot

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 12:17 - Jun 1 by Dr_Winston

Good luck to them.

Taking crime out of the supply could eventually do huge amounts of societal good.

This is it. Ben Elton wrote a book 'High Society' goes into this scenario.
Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 12:55 - Jun 1 with 1610 viewsangryjack

Can't stand people who take drugs........custom officers policemen,ect
Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 13:43 - Jun 1 with 1577 viewsGlossolalia

A common misconception about drugs are the amount of people actually addicted to them.
Most users are recreational and use them to enhance their evenings, weekends, whatever.

As an occasional user of certain Class A drugs, I know that being arrested and potentially imprisoned is simply disproportionate. Given that Canada are giving clear amount limits, (2.5 grams of cocaine) this largely exonerates casual users whilst keeping peddlers under the law. It seems to be a sensible move; it also implicitly acknowledges the existence and inevitability of dealers.

As Sirjon moots, a state-sanctioned supply could be a way forward. However, this may lead to stockpiling and dealing from people down the line.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:45]
Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 14:38 - Jun 1 with 1552 viewsWingstandwood

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 12:55 - Jun 1 by angryjack

Can't stand people who take drugs........custom officers policemen,ect

I have an inkling that with the passage of time your negative attitude towards the police will mellow considerably to the extent where you decide to join them.

I can envisage you giving a talk in the future at both Police Federation conference and 'TED Talks' with the presentation subject title "I used to be a police hater but now I am a Chief Superintendent".

Argus!

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 16:39 - Jun 1 with 1519 viewsDr_Winston

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 13:43 - Jun 1 by Glossolalia

A common misconception about drugs are the amount of people actually addicted to them.
Most users are recreational and use them to enhance their evenings, weekends, whatever.

As an occasional user of certain Class A drugs, I know that being arrested and potentially imprisoned is simply disproportionate. Given that Canada are giving clear amount limits, (2.5 grams of cocaine) this largely exonerates casual users whilst keeping peddlers under the law. It seems to be a sensible move; it also implicitly acknowledges the existence and inevitability of dealers.

As Sirjon moots, a state-sanctioned supply could be a way forward. However, this may lead to stockpiling and dealing from people down the line.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 13:45]

Agree about the recreational side, especially Cocaine, Marijuana and stuff like Speed and Amphetamines. I know plenty of people who indulge in them at weekends and hold down normal lives and jobs during the week.

Heroin is the worst, the effects of which I see up close regularly. I make no apologies for wanting to string smack dealers up by their toes for the elements to take care of.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 18:40 - Jun 1 with 1496 viewsSirjohnalot

There also needs to be sensible, grown up education to people about the nature of drugs, side affects, dangers of over dosing, not mixing, taking water etc. it’ll be seen as promotion but that’s the point, people will take it, we need to acknowledge that and advise people how to take as safely as possible.

Another thing people don’t realise is about drug driving, how long cannabis especially stays in the system especially if you’re a regular user.

I’ve never taken anything, was too much into my swimming when I was younger (and too tight) but it’ll take a brave government to do anything like this
Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 19:48 - Jun 1 with 1464 views73__73

Only mugs take drugs

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Login to get fewer ads

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 20:05 - Jun 1 with 1468 viewsonehunglow

Seems now when face d with a problem ,we run away.
If we have an issue with crime we seek to decriminalise it.
Might as well do it with burglary,another area we can't solve although ,looking at the clear up rates we've already given up .
It is a slippery slope for sure.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 21:04 - Jun 1 with 1436 views73__73

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 18:40 - Jun 1 by Sirjohnalot

There also needs to be sensible, grown up education to people about the nature of drugs, side affects, dangers of over dosing, not mixing, taking water etc. it’ll be seen as promotion but that’s the point, people will take it, we need to acknowledge that and advise people how to take as safely as possible.

Another thing people don’t realise is about drug driving, how long cannabis especially stays in the system especially if you’re a regular user.

I’ve never taken anything, was too much into my swimming when I was younger (and too tight) but it’ll take a brave government to do anything like this

What is brave about it ?

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 21:08 - Jun 1 with 1434 viewsDr_Winston

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 20:05 - Jun 1 by onehunglow

Might as well do it with burglary,another area we can't solve although ,looking at the clear up rates we've already given up .

No. When faced with a problem, we seek to find sensible ways to deal with it, rather than go full bore against because that's what we've always done.

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 21:16 - Jun 1 with 1430 viewsSirjohnalot

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 20:05 - Jun 1 by onehunglow

It’s certainly not running away, it s a different way to attack an issue.

You know as well as I that the top end drug dealers are evil. OCG, preying on misery and desperate people. The majority of the dealers I prosecute and defend are themselves addicts dealing to feed their addiction or kids who are given some free drugs and then told they must deal to pay it off.

I’ve had a couple of conspiracies where you do get the higher tier dealers but 9/10 it’s the low level users.

We’ve spent years trying to combat the evils of drugs, as has the rest of the world. It’s a fight we cannot win.

Most burgs, shoplifts etc are a result of people feeding their habit, they struggle to beat. The idea behind this is to take away the demand from the gangs and move it to the government. If an addict needed a hit, what would he do ? Go to a violent dealer increasing his debt or a government agency where he can use relatively safely and not accrue more debt and get help without it being an order of the court.

These reason I say it’s brave is because of perfectly understandable and reasonable reactions like yours.

The dealing would not be decriminalised. You’re already looking about 7 years for Class As, it the user# that need protecting and at the same time devastating the businesses of the dealers

Anyhoo, I’ve just got home in Neath, looking forward to a long weekend with the bods, waving at Lizzie. Hope you’re well matey ?
[Post edited 1 Jun 2022 21:20]
Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 23:13 - Jun 1 with 1388 viewscontroversial_jack

The more laws we make, the more crime we get.It's called deviancy amplification
Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs (n/t) on 15:56 - Jun 3 with 1306 viewsdizietsma

Canada trials decriminalising small amounts of drugs on 23:13 - Jun 1 by controversial_jack

The more laws we make, the more crime we get.It's called deviancy amplification

[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 16:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024