Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes Grimes and Allen 10:38 - Jun 26 with 1068 viewsguthrieintherain

Could they be incorporated into our midfield or would it be to defensive.

No idea if Joe is signing or not but I really hope he does.

One of the other 2 may get an injury or would not surprise me if one is sold

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Downes Grimes and Allen on 10:54 - Jun 26 with 1029 viewsjasper_T

We struggled to go forward last season with three centre halves and two sitting midfielders. Add Allen and I can't see it working. One would end up in the Korey Smith role of ineffectual attacking midfielder.

Signing Allen doesn't improve our starting 11, and it's a marginal boost to our 18. Midfield is the least of our issues unless someone is sold, and even then we recruited last summer based on the idea Grimes was leaving. Fulton, Downes, Ntcham, Walsh, Williams all want to be in there, plus Abdullai and Cotterill in the u23s.
Downes Grimes and Allen on 11:21 - Jun 26 with 978 viewsCatullus

I think Allen is better going forward than Grimes, he rolled us over down here ast season.

I can't see those 3 starting though, it doesn't work, not unles we went 3-5-2 with proper wide players, not wing backs.

I'm not all in withthis wing back stuff anyway. Any decent full back will take an opportunity to get forward, should be able to cross and why not have the occassional pop at goal. having wing backs the way we do just compromises our defence so why not have 4 at the back and proper wingers? We have Ogbeta, Sorinola Naughton and Manning and we have Cabango, Wood and Darling, 4 at the back is easy. Then we can play both Piroe and Oba up front.
Just like any decent full back should be looking to get forward, any decent wide player will help out in defence, cover his full back when needs be.

If we went 3-5-2 any one of Downes, Allen or Grimes can drop into the back line when needed.

Personally, though I have just made the argument for 3-5-2 or a back 4 I'd try something different with this squad. I have suggested it before, 3-2-3-2, Cabango, Darling and Wood, Downes and Allen holding with Ntcham, Paterson and maybe try one of Congreve, Garrick or Ollie Cooper as AM's with Piroe and Oba up front.

It's easy to change that back to Martin's preferred formation too. Try it first half against Charlton!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Downes Grimes and Allen on 11:27 - Jun 26 with 963 viewsWhiterockin

Downes Grimes and Allen on 11:21 - Jun 26 by Catullus

I think Allen is better going forward than Grimes, he rolled us over down here ast season.

I can't see those 3 starting though, it doesn't work, not unles we went 3-5-2 with proper wide players, not wing backs.

I'm not all in withthis wing back stuff anyway. Any decent full back will take an opportunity to get forward, should be able to cross and why not have the occassional pop at goal. having wing backs the way we do just compromises our defence so why not have 4 at the back and proper wingers? We have Ogbeta, Sorinola Naughton and Manning and we have Cabango, Wood and Darling, 4 at the back is easy. Then we can play both Piroe and Oba up front.
Just like any decent full back should be looking to get forward, any decent wide player will help out in defence, cover his full back when needs be.

If we went 3-5-2 any one of Downes, Allen or Grimes can drop into the back line when needed.

Personally, though I have just made the argument for 3-5-2 or a back 4 I'd try something different with this squad. I have suggested it before, 3-2-3-2, Cabango, Darling and Wood, Downes and Allen holding with Ntcham, Paterson and maybe try one of Congreve, Garrick or Ollie Cooper as AM's with Piroe and Oba up front.

It's easy to change that back to Martin's preferred formation too. Try it first half against Charlton!

If we go four at the back as RM has suggested it could possibly be 4-3-2-1.

Back 4 to be finalised.
Downes Allen Grimes
Paterson Piroe
Obafemi
Downes Grimes and Allen on 11:48 - Jun 26 with 923 viewsCatullus

Downes Grimes and Allen on 11:27 - Jun 26 by Whiterockin

Back 4 to be finalised.
Downes Allen Grimes
Paterson Piroe
Obafemi

Now that could be the old Barcelona formation, a back 4 with a V shaped midfield with Grimes at the base.

This is part of my problem with Martin, he is trying to shoehorn players into positions so he can put his preferred formation out. When we don't (and until we do) have all the players to play that way he should choose the best formation for the team. Maybe by July 30th we will have all the right players, positionally, but will they be good enough.

You still cannot make a slk purse out of a sows ear.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Downes Grimes and Allen on 12:58 - Jun 26 with 838 viewsjruss

Downes Grimes and Allen on 11:27 - Jun 26 by Whiterockin

Back 4 to be finalised.
Downes Allen Grimes
Paterson Piroe
Obafemi

Based off what RM said at the forum that won't happen. He was clear whether he plays a 3 or 4 at the back there will always be 'high attacking wide players' ahead of them.
Downes Grimes and Allen on 16:13 - Jun 26 with 675 viewsshaggyrogers

I can't see the 3 playing together. I doubt the ball would get past the half way line unless darling carried it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024