Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
another Oxford St closure 20:27 - Jul 8 with 3736 viewsbritferry

Sports Direct off down Parc Tawe, thats another big store that needs filling

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

another Oxford St closure on 21:12 - Jul 8 with 1853 viewsJack123

It's a shame, but shoddy goods there.

libera nos a malo

another Oxford St closure on 21:28 - Jul 8 with 1832 viewsonehunglow

Friends of ours went down camping in Rhosiki and thought they d spend a day in Swansea city centre.

They were shocked . Their words .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

another Oxford St closure on 21:42 - Jul 8 with 1800 viewslifelong

another Oxford St closure on 21:28 - Jul 8 by onehunglow

Friends of ours went down camping in Rhosiki and thought they d spend a day in Swansea city centre.

Friends of ours went camping alongside the Mersey, they went into Liverpool for the day and when they returned to the campsite their tent had gone.
another Oxford St closure on 22:00 - Jul 8 with 1796 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 21:42 - Jul 8 by lifelong

Friends of ours went camping alongside the Mersey, they went into Liverpool for the day and when they returned to the campsite their tent had gone.

Grow up.
Nobody can deny the obvious.
Did yiu see Morning breakfast show today featuring Hilbre Island. This is why people visit Wirral.

My post emphasises just what problems exist in Swansea. I’m not bothered about other cities frankly.
It is my home town

another Oxford St closure on 22:09 - Jul 8 with 1790 viewsangryjack

Swansea is a sh!thole..swansea councillors are w@nkers
another Oxford St closure on 22:10 - Jul 8 with 1786 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 22:09 - Jul 8 by angryjack

Swansea is a sh!thole..swansea councillors are w@nkers

They enjoyed Rhosili though

They go down most summers

another Oxford St closure on 22:17 - Jul 8 with 1767 viewslifelong

another Oxford St closure on 22:00 - Jul 8 by onehunglow

Grow up.
Nobody can deny the obvious.
Did yiu see Morning breakfast show today featuring Hilbre Island. This is why people visit Wirral.

My post emphasises just what problems exist in Swansea. I’m not bothered about other cities frankly.
It is my home town

Grow up?

You just can’t wait to have a dig at Swansea, you’re obsessed with it.

Why do you think millions of people visit Swansea and surrounding area every year?

The city centre is going through a very similar process as are dozens of city centre’s throughout the UK.

It maybe your home town but the way you constantly slag it off is simply pathetic.
another Oxford St closure on 22:21 - Jul 8 with 1777 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 22:17 - Jul 8 by lifelong

Grow up?

You just can’t wait to have a dig at Swansea, you’re obsessed with it.

Why do you think millions of people visit Swansea and surrounding area every year?

The city centre is going through a very similar process as are dozens of city centre’s throughout the UK.

It maybe your home town but the way you constantly slag it off is simply pathetic.

As I say grow up and move on.

Swansea city does not you to defend it.

It has been shat on for years so be angry about that .

Don’t worry about my neck of the woods

This thread is about a Swansea store.

If yiu can’t post with something a posit e ,don’t bother.

You are one of several trolls who introduce hate into a thread .

This is not the site it was

Login to get fewer ads

another Oxford St closure on 22:57 - Jul 8 with 1727 viewsDr_Winston

another Oxford St closure on 22:21 - Jul 8 by onehunglow

In fairness, Lifey was responding to your post which was anything but "a posit e".

As per usual, you react like a teenage girl when anyone calls you on your bullshit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

another Oxford St closure on 23:00 - Jul 8 with 1745 viewsGoldminer

another Oxford St closure on 22:21 - Jul 8 by onehunglow

So what was positive about your original post in this thread?
another Oxford St closure on 23:26 - Jul 8 with 1723 viewsTreforys_Jack

another Oxford St closure on 21:42 - Jul 8 by lifelong

another Oxford St closure on 23:32 - Jul 8 with 1695 viewsDr_Winston

In a serious, non-pointing out Perchy's nonsense response to this thread, it's a fairly natural outcome of Swansea Council policy. Things are improving, but it's a slow process.

They've spent decades trying to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to take a car into town. Most people wouldn't use public transport unless they had no alternative so obviously the city centre will take a hit, even more so in the brave new world of online retail.

Sports Direct have obviously decided that moving closer to three hours of free parking makes a lot more sense than staying put on Oxford Street and no doubt they're quite right in that assessment.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 15:45]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

another Oxford St closure on 01:06 - Jul 9 with 1689 viewsbritferry

another Oxford St closure on 22:10 - Jul 8 by onehunglow

They enjoyed Rhosili though

They go down most summers

I know its not the Welsh way... but its double S single L

Best part of the Gower though... and its where they chose for the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics to show off Wales with a children's choir... I know, its unbelievable, they didn't choose Barry Island !

another Oxford St closure on 08:24 - Jul 9 with 1603 viewsWhiterockin

another Oxford St closure on 23:32 - Jul 8 by Dr_Winston

In a serious, non-pointing out Perchy's nonsense response to this thread, it's a fairly natural outcome of Swansea Council policy. Things are improving, but it's a slow process.

They've spent decades trying to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to take a car into town. Most people wouldn't use public transport unless they had no alternative so obviously the city centre will take a hit, even more so in the brave new world of online retail.

Sports Direct have obviously decided that moving closer to three hours of free parking makes a lot more sense than staying put on Oxford Street and no doubt they're quite right in that assessment.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 15:45]

I have always said that the car parks in Swansea should be 3-4 hours free parking with no return the same day. This would encourage shoppers and discourage workers. It works in other town/cities so why not here.
another Oxford St closure on 08:40 - Jul 9 with 1583 viewsangryjack

another Oxford St closure on 08:24 - Jul 9 by Whiterockin

I have always said that the car parks in Swansea should be 3-4 hours free parking with no return the same day. This would encourage shoppers and discourage workers. It works in other town/cities so why not here.

Why should the workers who work in town be penalised..
another Oxford St closure on 08:42 - Jul 9 with 1575 viewsWhiterockin

another Oxford St closure on 08:40 - Jul 9 by angryjack

Why should the workers who work in town be penalised..

All depends if you want to encourage shoppers and develop the city centre. Free parking for shoppers would have no impact on workers because their situation would remain the same.
another Oxford St closure on 08:53 - Jul 9 with 1542 viewsonehunglow

Seems a group attack here.
Not seen one for a while

Nice one Rog. Stick together eh.

another Oxford St closure on 09:59 - Jul 9 with 1522 viewsbritferry

another Oxford St closure on 08:24 - Jul 9 by Whiterockin

some of the car parks aren't council owned though

another Oxford St closure on 10:14 - Jul 9 with 1509 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 09:59 - Jul 9 by britferry

some of the car parks aren't council owned though

You know what you ve started BF

another Oxford St closure on 10:15 - Jul 9 with 1505 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 10:14 - Jul 9 by onehunglow

You know what you ve started BF

Oxford St was our jewel as a shopping street really.
Many smaller British cities have been similarly decimated
Lose the shops and a city loses its soul as people come INTO town often for a day .

another Oxford St closure on 10:52 - Jul 9 with 1492 viewskrunchykarrot

I only go into Town now to pick up fish and produce from the market, we have all systematically managed to kill off local businesses and replace with multi-national clones. There are no bakeries butchers etc. all being taken out by Tesco etc. who are having their taste of competition from the German stores.

I for one miss the individual sports shops and do not shop in Sports Direct where they license brands.

Add in the loony council decisions such as building supermarkets on the front etc. Charging silly prices for parking, that is if you can remember which way to drive around our system.

I hope there is a uprise in local shops with all these empty premises which should drop rates and rent.
another Oxford St closure on 10:55 - Jul 9 with 1490 viewskrunchykarrot

another Oxford St closure on 21:28 - Jul 8 by onehunglow

I was also shocked. If M&S go it will be a long way back.
another Oxford St closure on 11:01 - Jul 9 with 1468 viewsDr_Winston

Thing is, you go into most provincial cities in the UK and the story is the same. Sure, the usual sad cases will still try to use it as an excuse to slag Swansea off, but it's far from a unique situation.

Traditional High Street retail has taken an absolute battering and will continue to do so. Even some of the out of town developments are starting to look a bit ropey. There's been a seismic shift in shopping habits and it's not over yet.

About the best thing we can say is that Swansea didn't make the same mistakes as some other places and go heavy on retail redevelopment. In about 20 years a lot of expensively constructed city centre shopping space will be sitting empty.

A mix of retail, leisure, residential and office seems to be the best way to go and that's what it looks like we're trying to do.

another Oxford St closure on 11:20 - Jul 9 with 1477 viewsTogg

My wife works in town and I drive her in and pick her up every day. I'm sorry but they need to do something about the drug problem. I see people absolutely spaced out, shouting obscenities and sometimes violent. This can be quite intimidating
another Oxford St closure on 11:29 - Jul 9 with 1462 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 11:20 - Jul 9 by Togg

My wife works in town and I drive her in and pick her up every day. I'm sorry but they need to do something about the drug problem. I see people absolutely spaced out, shouting obscenities and sometimes violent. This can be quite intimidating

My chums ,having ventured into Swansea say they were virtually stopped by a drop out begging then 50 yards along in Kingsway saw and heard a "busker" who had a druggie come up to him and wind him up .Absolutely out of his head.
They noted the empty and the charity shops and the lack of a feature store/s which visitors target for a shop. Swansea i of course not alone but it is pretty bad and nobody should try to defend the indefensible.

Many cities have lost big stores including the one near us but it's how a city compensates that is key.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024