Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching us against Bradford City now 11:08 - Jul 27 with 1176 viewsonehunglow

Only 9 years ago.

It's quite sick to watch really considering where we are now and how unforgivable it all is.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Watching us against Bradford City now on 11:16 - Jul 27 with 1168 viewsKeithHaynes

I agree, it’s remarkable we have sustained our position in English football for as long as we have. And even now involve ourselves in numerous million pound plus transfers a year. Unlike the majority of the championship. Incredible indeed. Since 2002 it’s been quite a journey. Twenty years of success and hope as opposed to the years post Toshack etc. And even then we had trophy success.

Being sick I would say is or was being Portsmouth, Coventry, or following Sunderland. Can you imagine that ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Watching us against Bradford City now on 11:21 - Jul 27 with 1142 viewsonehunglow

Watching us against Bradford City now on 11:16 - Jul 27 by KeithHaynes

I agree, it’s remarkable we have sustained our position in English football for as long as we have. And even now involve ourselves in numerous million pound plus transfers a year. Unlike the majority of the championship. Incredible indeed. Since 2002 it’s been quite a journey. Twenty years of success and hope as opposed to the years post Toshack etc. And even then we had trophy success.

Being sick I would say is or was being Portsmouth, Coventry, or following Sunderland. Can you imagine that ?

Keith.
I only care about us.

Yeah,it's sick ,to me,that we no longer strut our stuff at the highest level.
Meeting up with fellow Jack at the Ship and Mitre in Liverpool and taking complement from LFC fans on the way we played the game.

It's a world away Keith and it till hurts.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 12:12 - Jul 27 with 1082 viewsReslovenSwan1

Watching us against Bradford City now on 11:21 - Jul 27 by onehunglow

Keith.
I only care about us.

Yeah,it's sick ,to me,that we no longer strut our stuff at the highest level.
Meeting up with fellow Jack at the Ship and Mitre in Liverpool and taking complement from LFC fans on the way we played the game.

It's a world away Keith and it till hurts.

It is Swansea city and is was and always will be a story of ups and downs. The big errors was the big spending in 2017 after Sigurdson and Llorente left.

The first goal by Dyer was a thing of beauty with soft caressing passes gliding through the Battams defence. Nothing forced. De Guzman was highly underrated. He was the lubricant of the engine that ticked over beautifully.

Swansea are trying to get back there and it will take time and patience. Progression and development is essential. You are impatient and negative. Others have cut Martin some slack with regard to results.

Swansea were able to lead 3-0 v AFBC something they have never done before and 1-4 v Reading which matched Coopers best but blew those scores. 7-0 v Cardiff was a first. Martin has made changes.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 12:35]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Watching us against Bradford City now on 12:39 - Jul 27 with 1052 viewsDr_Parnassus

Watching us against Bradford City now on 12:12 - Jul 27 by ReslovenSwan1

It is Swansea city and is was and always will be a story of ups and downs. The big errors was the big spending in 2017 after Sigurdson and Llorente left.

The first goal by Dyer was a thing of beauty with soft caressing passes gliding through the Battams defence. Nothing forced. De Guzman was highly underrated. He was the lubricant of the engine that ticked over beautifully.

Swansea are trying to get back there and it will take time and patience. Progression and development is essential. You are impatient and negative. Others have cut Martin some slack with regard to results.

Swansea were able to lead 3-0 v AFBC something they have never done before and 1-4 v Reading which matched Coopers best but blew those scores. 7-0 v Cardiff was a first. Martin has made changes.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 12:35]

It doesn’t take much time or patience. You just have to get the right manager in who understands how to implement it sensibly.

Martinez did it immediately with a group that had never played it before, many of which were completely unsuited. He instilled it successfully pretty much immediately.

In fact all our managers have done it successfully pretty much right away. This whole “patience” and “takes time” thing is something people have only started uttering since Russell took over. Before then I’d not heard it once in my almost 30 years supporting the club.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Watching us against Bradford City now on 13:37 - Jul 27 with 996 viewsBadlands

Watching us against Bradford City now on 12:39 - Jul 27 by Dr_Parnassus

It doesn’t take much time or patience. You just have to get the right manager in who understands how to implement it sensibly.

Martinez did it immediately with a group that had never played it before, many of which were completely unsuited. He instilled it successfully pretty much immediately.

In fact all our managers have done it successfully pretty much right away. This whole “patience” and “takes time” thing is something people have only started uttering since Russell took over. Before then I’d not heard it once in my almost 30 years supporting the club.

It took 68 years to get into the First Division.
Another 30 to to the Premier League.
And now we have 'fans' whining about being a league that most, down the century+, considered a high point.
Some 'fans' became truly entitled during our PM days and now sound like the bellyaching Leeds and Forest types who consider themselves to be Premier clubs by default.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Watching us against Bradford City now on 13:48 - Jul 27 with 979 viewsonehunglow

Watching us against Bradford City now on 13:37 - Jul 27 by Badlands

And now we have 'fans' whining about being a league that most, down the century+, considered a high point.
Some 'fans' became truly entitled during our PM days and now sound like the bellyaching Leeds and Forest types who consider themselves to be Premier clubs by default.

Quite right

Watching us against Bradford City now on 13:55 - Jul 27 with 975 viewsReslovenSwan1

Watching us against Bradford City now on 12:39 - Jul 27 by Dr_Parnassus

Martinez needed 6 months I recall. After 2-0 Loss to top of the table Leeds he pronounced "I would not change one of their players for mine". I thought it was crass bravado. He won the title aided by a points deduction for Leeds. It was of course in league one.

Klopp and Guardiola needed a season before hitting their straps at Liverpool and Man CIty and Conte has taken a while to get his game plan working. Arteta has had months of pain and derision and might now deliver who knows? It is not easy.

Brendan was a one off. Martin is most probably not as good as Brendan. I do not expect this but then again Brendan left leaving the club £7m compensation. He had failures at Watford and Reading attributable to unsuitable player rosters. If Martin is 60% of Brendan and stays it might be the way forward. Managers that can transform in one season are very hard to find. He has the blessing of Martinez which i hold in higher regard than any poster on here with respect.

We have been spoilt by the genius of Huw jenkins. Like every 'spoilt brat' the Swansea fans loathe the man that did so much for the club and the SCST increasing their value 100 times. It is not his fault they dd not cash in. I felt disgusted by Swansea fans on that post that re- emerged the other day.

Jenkins may have lost patience with the SCST in 2016 and I do not blame him.

The fans did not lose patience with them but they have now, They have been taken on a long expensive 6 year walk on the road to nowhere encouraged by English advisors who know nothing of Swansea or football.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 13:59 - Jul 27 with 973 viewsBoundy

Watching us against Bradford City now on 13:55 - Jul 27 by ReslovenSwan1

Martinez needed 6 months I recall. After 2-0 Loss to top of the table Leeds he pronounced "I would not change one of their players for mine". I thought it was crass bravado. He won the title aided by a points deduction for Leeds. It was of course in league one.

Klopp and Guardiola needed a season before hitting their straps at Liverpool and Man CIty and Conte has taken a while to get his game plan working. Arteta has had months of pain and derision and might now deliver who knows? It is not easy.

Brendan was a one off. Martin is most probably not as good as Brendan. I do not expect this but then again Brendan left leaving the club £7m compensation. He had failures at Watford and Reading attributable to unsuitable player rosters. If Martin is 60% of Brendan and stays it might be the way forward. Managers that can transform in one season are very hard to find. He has the blessing of Martinez which i hold in higher regard than any poster on here with respect.

We have been spoilt by the genius of Huw jenkins. Like every 'spoilt brat' the Swansea fans loathe the man that did so much for the club and the SCST increasing their value 100 times. It is not his fault they dd not cash in. I felt disgusted by Swansea fans on that post that re- emerged the other day.

The fans did not lose patience with them but they have now, They have been taken on a long expensive 6 year walk on the road to nowhere encouraged by English advisors who know nothing of Swansea or football.

Is it beyond your wit to avoid mentioning Jenkins and the Trust ,just more bleating from you , the rest I agree with

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Watching us against Bradford City now on 20:29 - Jul 27 with 864 viewsWhiterockin

We did not win the title aided by the Leeds points deduction. We were 16 points above Leeds and their points deduction was 15 points. We won the title 100% on merit.
Watching us against Bradford City now on 20:41 - Jul 27 with 852 viewsraynor94

Well your first paragraph is wrong for a start

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Watching us against Bradford City now on 20:46 - Jul 27 with 843 viewsWhiterockin

Watching us against Bradford City now on 20:41 - Jul 27 by raynor94

Well your first paragraph is wrong for a start

It seems like it's not only the English advisors who know nothing about Swansea football.
Watching us against Bradford City now on 20:58 - Jul 27 with 817 viewsKeithHaynes

Watching us against Bradford City now on 20:29 - Jul 27 by Whiterockin

We did not win the title aided by the Leeds points deduction. We were 16 points above Leeds and their points deduction was 15 points. We won the title 100% on merit.

100% correct.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:12 - Jul 27 with 797 viewsReslovenSwan1

Watching us against Bradford City now on 20:46 - Jul 27 by Whiterockin

It seems like it's not only the English advisors who know nothing about Swansea football.

I admit knowing the points deduction given to Leeds Utd 16 years ago or so is not something I am an expert in. The deduction certainly did Martinez'steam no harm and I would not take credit from him deliberately. He is my logo. I rate him highly as a Swansea great.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:21 - Jul 27 with 779 viewsWhiterockin

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:12 - Jul 27 by ReslovenSwan1

I admit knowing the points deduction given to Leeds Utd 16 years ago or so is not something I am an expert in. The deduction certainly did Martinez'steam no harm and I would not take credit from him deliberately. He is my logo. I rate him highly as a Swansea great.

It did harm the team at the time. Leeds appealed the against the points deduction and the decision was not made until near the end of the season. We did not know where we were and the whole points situation of the league was up in the air throughout.
Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:25 - Jul 27 with 765 viewsKeithHaynes

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:21 - Jul 27 by Whiterockin

It did harm the team at the time. Leeds appealed the against the points deduction and the decision was not made until near the end of the season. We did not know where we were and the whole points situation of the league was up in the air throughout.

It spurred on the swans to do what they did, Leeds didn’t have it in them to do the same.
Worthy champions.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:27 - Jul 27 with 754 viewsWhiterockin

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:25 - Jul 27 by KeithHaynes

It spurred on the swans to do what they did, Leeds didn’t have it in them to do the same.
Worthy champions.

The bond between those players was unbelievable.
Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:35 - Jul 27 with 725 viewsDr_Parnassus

Watching us against Bradford City now on 13:37 - Jul 27 by Badlands

It was not a project to get to the Premier League though, it wasn’t even a consideration when I started watching us.

It became a reality when Martinez came in and it happened extremely quickly. In my 27 years of watching the Swans, baring one or two bad managers - all managers have been able to get the side playing the way they want very quickly.

Never have I ever heard writing off a season, 4 transfer windows… none of that nonsense.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:36 - Jul 27 with 723 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Martinez came in, we lost 1 of his first 11 games.

That got us to that Blackpool game to get us into the playoffs, which was remarkable. We lost that game of course but he had us playing that way from the off.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:42 - Jul 27 with 708 viewsKeithHaynes

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:36 - Jul 27 by Dr_Parnassus

When Martinez came in, we lost 1 of his first 11 games.

That got us to that Blackpool game to get us into the playoffs, which was remarkable. We lost that game of course but he had us playing that way from the off.

I think we had a much better side then, compared to now for me it was streets ahead.
The people, the timing the side had so many leaders.

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:49 - Jul 27 with 696 viewsDr_Parnassus

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:42 - Jul 27 by KeithHaynes

I think we had a much better side then, compared to now for me it was streets ahead.
The people, the timing the side had so many leaders.

The sale of Downes alone could have probably bought them all and still had change for a multi million pound nest egg.

This is the side he inherited:

Goalkeeper

1 Willy Guéret
Mark Howard
25 Andy Oakes

Defender

2 Kevin Amankwaah
3 Kevin Austin
30 Richard Duffy
6 Izzy Iriekpen
22 Dennis Lawrence
30 Sylvain Meslien
16 Garry Monk
4 Kristian O'Leary
14 Marcos Painter
5 Alan Tate
12 Steven Watt
15 Tom Williams

Midfielder

32 Joe Allen
7 Leon Britton
28 Thomas Butler
Dion Chambers
Matthew Collins
29 Ian Craney
Scott Evans
20 Shaun MacDonald
8 Darren Pratley
17 Owain Tudur-Jones
19 Darren Way

Forward

11 Paweł Abbott
9 Adebayo Akinfenwa
24 Darryl Duffy
21 Chris Jones
18 Andy Robinson
10 Lee Trundle
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 22:52]

Watching us against Bradford City now on 08:42 - Jul 29 with 573 viewsKilkennyjack

Watching us against Bradford City now on 21:49 - Jul 27 by Dr_Parnassus

The sale of Downes alone could have probably bought them all and still had change for a multi million pound nest egg.

This is the side he inherited:

Goalkeeper

1 Willy Guéret
Mark Howard
25 Andy Oakes

Defender

2 Kevin Amankwaah
3 Kevin Austin
30 Richard Duffy
6 Izzy Iriekpen
22 Dennis Lawrence
30 Sylvain Meslien