Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin coaching 16:26 - Aug 3 with 4970 viewsKeithHaynes

Thoughts.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin coaching on 17:12 - Aug 3 with 2209 viewsAguycalledJack

What happens if they do keep running?
Russell Martin coaching on 17:14 - Aug 3 with 2207 viewsshingle

Oh dear, if he was a chocolate he would eat himself.
Russell Martin coaching on 17:31 - Aug 3 with 2178 viewsNotLoyal

Doesn’t matter what he says there will be people who can’t understand what he is trying to achieve.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Russell Martin coaching on 17:38 - Aug 3 with 2160 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin coaching on 17:12 - Aug 3 by AguycalledJack

What happens if they do keep running?

We draw 3-3.
Russell Martin coaching on 17:45 - Aug 3 with 2120 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin coaching on 17:31 - Aug 3 by NotLoyal

Doesn’t matter what he says there will be people who can’t understand what he is trying to achieve.

Doesn’t matter what he says .
Is right

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Russell Martin coaching on 19:52 - Aug 3 with 2023 viewsKerouac

He is too verbose and lacks clarity.
Not enough interaction...you need to pose questions, get the players to think and engage, the answers need to come from the players...you are just helping them to understand things better (if you have any wisdom/knowledge to impart, something worth teaching them).

In that clip the players are totally silent as he drones on and on and on.
He makes something that is simple sound complicated, a good coach/teacher is trying to achieve the opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Russell Martin coaching on 19:56 - Aug 3 with 2008 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin coaching on 19:52 - Aug 3 by Kerouac

Not enough interaction...you need to pose questions, get the players to think and engage, the answers need to come from the players...you are just helping them to understand things better (if you have any wisdom/knowledge to impart, something worth teaching them).

He makes something that is simple sound complicated, a good coach/teacher is trying to achieve the opposite.

I’m not certain why Swansea City would publish that other than at Martin’s request. You are right though, a plenary of discussion and checking understanding would definitely work. Although of course he may well do that but not in this small clip.

Russell Martin coaching on 20:07 - Aug 3 with 1967 viewsSirjohnalot

Russell Martin coaching on 19:56 - Aug 3 by KeithHaynes

I’m not certain why Swansea City would publish that other than at Martin’s request. You are right though, a plenary of discussion and checking understanding would definitely work. Although of course he may well do that but not in this small clip.

This will just be a small summary at the end, the club isn’t going to publish anything that show any detail of what he’s trying to do, any pertinent questions asked by players etc.

Convinced this is going to click, just wish we get free up the funds
Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin coaching on 20:18 - Aug 3 with 1937 viewsunion_jack

Russell Martin coaching on 19:52 - Aug 3 by Kerouac

Exactly. Know your audience.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Russell Martin coaching on 20:19 - Aug 3 with 1930 viewsunion_jack

What did make me laugh was one of the coaches checking the time on his watch as Martin was mid flow😁

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Russell Martin coaching on 20:20 - Aug 3 with 1910 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin coaching on 20:18 - Aug 3 by union_jack

Exactly. Know your audience.

I think K is alluding to the possibility our Russ bores the holybejesus out of them.

He most certainly loves himself with no real justification.

He has won nothing

Russell Martin coaching on 20:37 - Aug 3 with 1895 viewsKerouac

Russell Martin coaching on 19:56 - Aug 3 by KeithHaynes

For me there are two things you need to do to improve players...
1 - inspire them to want to improve (either 'cos they are ambitious or they want to please you...doesn't matter which)
and
2 - challenge them to think about what they are doing and for what purpose, you then encourage them to make changes to what they do.

It requires them to be engaged.
You can't improve them, they have to do it...if they are not engaged they will not take training (the practice of self-improvement) seriously.

I would have switched off as a player during that...I would have thought; 'waffle'.

In fact, even if that was just a couple minutes summing up at the end of training, I would never sum up the session at the end without engaging the players.
It only goes in their heads and sticks if they are engaged and they are coming up with the right answers for themselves (after being challenged to engage their brains).

My main rule when coaching is to say as little as possible but make what you say count...I do this by posing intelligent questions and getting the players to come up with the answers.
You just keep asking questions until they narrow down on the right answers.
Some will have a light bulb moment and they will remember what they learned because they came to the answers themselves.

Apart from questions I would only contribute short statements, outlining principles that I know/believe to be true (from my playing days) in easy to understand sentences and maybe reinforce a conclusion the group has come to (when the conclusion is a correct one of course)...and you have to deliver these statements in a way that the atmosphere remains light-hearted, let them laugh at you (give them some material), keep it fun.

There are two main focuses of training which a coach needs to get right...
1) Physical improvement - fitness, strength, pace, acceleration, agility, reactions (how to improve these areas is pretty obvious).

& most tricky to get right is...

2) We all have a running commentary, or a conversation with ourselves, in our head when we play...a good coach is able to improve the conversations his players are having with themselves when they play. This results in people understanding the game better, understanding team tactics better, thinking more clearly and making better decisions in the moment...the only way to do this is to get your players mentally engaged.

Russell Martin coaching on 20:41 - Aug 3 with 1874 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin coaching on 20:37 - Aug 3 by Kerouac

For me there are two things you need to do to improve players...
1 - inspire them to want to improve (either 'cos they are ambitious or they want to please you...doesn't matter which)
and
2 - challenge them to think about what they are doing and for what purpose, you then encourage them to make changes to what they do.

It requires them to be engaged.
You can't improve them, they have to do it...if they are not engaged they will not take training (the practice of self-improvement) seriously.

I would have switched off as a player during that...I would have thought; 'waffle'.

In fact, even if that was just a couple minutes summing up at the end of training, I would never sum up the session at the end without engaging the players.
It only goes in their heads and sticks if they are engaged and they are coming up with the right answers for themselves (after being challenged to engage their brains).

My main rule when coaching is to say as little as possible but make what you say count...I do this by posing intelligent questions and getting the players to come up with the answers.
You just keep asking questions until they narrow down on the right answers.
Some will have a light bulb moment and they will remember what they learned because they came to the answers themselves.

Apart from questions I would only contribute short statements, outlining principles that I know/believe to be true (from my playing days) in easy to understand sentences and maybe reinforce a conclusion the group has come to (when the conclusion is a correct one of course)...and you have to deliver these statements in a way that the atmosphere remains light-hearted, let them laugh at you (give them some material), keep it fun.

There are two main focuses of training which a coach needs to get right...
1) Physical improvement - fitness, strength, pace, acceleration, agility, reactions (how to improve these areas is pretty obvious).

& most tricky to get right is...

2) We all have a running commentary, or a conversation with ourselves, in our head when we play...a good coach is able to improve the conversations his players are having with themselves when they play. This results in people understanding the game better, understanding team tactics better, thinking more clearly and making better decisions in the moment...the only way to do this is to get your players mentally engaged.

He can't be that bad, look at the value increase of players like Downes and Piroe.
Russell Martin coaching on 20:43 - Aug 3 with 1844 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin coaching on 20:41 - Aug 3 by Whiterockin

He can't be that bad, look at the value increase of players like Downes and Piroe.

He clearly divides.

Russell Martin coaching on 20:43 - Aug 3 with 1856 viewsKeithHaynes

There is that, he does have many qualities in that respect.

Russell Martin coaching on 20:43 - Aug 3 with 1856 viewsKerouac

Downes and Piroe looked like the players they are now on the day they arrived.
I did not witness them improving.

Russell Martin coaching on 20:49 - Aug 3 with 1834 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin coaching on 20:43 - Aug 3 by Kerouac

Then how did we get them so cheap. Don't let facts cloud your judgment or dislike of someone.
Russell Martin coaching on 21:02 - Aug 3 with 1798 viewsKerouac

That's a silly argument.
Good players can be found cheap, the price depends on the market, their contract situation, etc.

When Liverpool signed Ian Rush from Chester City in 1980 did they transform him as a player during one pre-season?

I knew after game 1 that Downes was one of the best midfielders in the Championship, I literally told my boy that was the case by half-time in game 1.

I don't remember game 1 for Piroe but I certainly came to the same conclusion within 2/3 games.
You could see by his technique when striking the ball, his movement off the ball (he should score many more goals at this level if our players had enough vision to spot his runs) and his brain.

The idea that Martin transformed them in a couple of weeks is ludicrous.

Their value has dramatically increased because we provide them a shop window in the Championship, this division is a feeder to the richest division in the World.
Bring somebody with talent into this division and they are worth £10m+ after a season.

Russell Martin coaching on 21:09 - Aug 3 with 1770 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin coaching on 21:02 - Aug 3 by Kerouac

That's a silly argument.
Good players can be found cheap, the price depends on the market, their contract situation, etc.

When Liverpool signed Ian Rush from Chester City in 1980 did they transform him as a player during one pre-season?

I knew after game 1 that Downes was one of the best midfielders in the Championship, I literally told my boy that was the case by half-time in game 1.

I don't remember game 1 for Piroe but I certainly came to the same conclusion within 2/3 games.
You could see by his technique when striking the ball, his movement off the ball (he should score many more goals at this level if our players had enough vision to spot his runs) and his brain.

The idea that Martin transformed them in a couple of weeks is ludicrous.

Their value has dramatically increased because we provide them a shop window in the Championship, this division is a feeder to the richest division in the World.
Bring somebody with talent into this division and they are worth £10m+ after a season.

Piroe was not a £15-£20M player when he signed for us. RM pushed for Downes give credit where its due. I can understand you don't rate the manager but you really can't say he hasn't increased the value of those 2 players.
Russell Martin coaching on 21:16 - Aug 3 with 1745 viewsKerouac

Russell Martin coaching on 21:09 - Aug 3 by Whiterockin

Piroe was not a £15-£20M player when he signed for us. RM pushed for Downes give credit where its due. I can understand you don't rate the manager but you really can't say he hasn't increased the value of those 2 players.

If Martin spotted Downes' talent in League 1 I can give him, a little, credit for that...to me Downes' talent was obvious as soon as I saw him but we don't watch League 1 do we...so well done to Martin for bringing in a bargain.

Piroe, I'm sorry, was not spotted by Martin.

He improved neither player as far as I could see, but then he didn't need to.
Swansea City gave them the platform to showcase their talent to the richer clubs above who are always looking for top performing Championship players...this is why Piroe is now worth £15m.
He will be worth £20m+ if he repeats his form this season, which he will as long as we give him some service.

We won't agree on this so let's not go back and forth at each other.

Russell Martin coaching on 21:23 - Aug 3 with 1729 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin coaching on 21:16 - Aug 3 by Kerouac

If Martin spotted Downes' talent in League 1 I can give him, a little, credit for that...to me Downes' talent was obvious as soon as I saw him but we don't watch League 1 do we...so well done to Martin for bringing in a bargain.

Piroe, I'm sorry, was not spotted by Martin.

He improved neither player as far as I could see, but then he didn't need to.
Swansea City gave them the platform to showcase their talent to the richer clubs above who are always looking for top performing Championship players...this is why Piroe is now worth £15m.
He will be worth £20m+ if he repeats his form this season, which he will as long as we give him some service.

We won't agree on this so let's not go back and forth at each other.

I'm more than happy to agree to disagree. Hopefully Wood, Darling or Congreve will be next summers profitable sale to make ends meet, unless we go up.
Russell Martin coaching on 21:43 - Aug 3 with 1682 viewsBillyChong

He mentions numerous times needing to run when the opposition have the ball, followed by suggesting the players save energy for when we have the ball further up the pitch. Also the bit about the opposition tiring themselves out from chasing our possession - didn’t he notice last season how many teams sat back and did the opposite. Not a Russ basher but he doesn’t come across as the most intelligent in that clip.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 21:44]
Russell Martin coaching on 21:44 - Aug 3 with 1670 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin coaching on 17:31 - Aug 3 by NotLoyal

Trying to achieve something and having the ability to achieve something are completely different things.

This is now his 4th year as manager and he hasn’t had a single successful season.

I think at this stage it’s more likely that he doesn’t understand what he’s trying to achieve.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin coaching on 21:46 - Aug 3 with 1640 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin coaching on 21:43 - Aug 3 by BillyChong

He mentions numerous times needing to run when the opposition have the ball, followed by suggesting the players save energy for when we have the ball further up the pitch. Also the bit about the opposition tiring themselves out from chasing our possession - didn’t he notice last season how many teams sat back and did the opposite. Not a Russ basher but he doesn’t come across as the most intelligent in that clip.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 21:44]

If the clip had any coaching value, would the club make it available publicly.
Russell Martin coaching on 21:47 - Aug 3 with 1612 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin coaching on 20:43 - Aug 3 by Kerouac

Indeed, same with Darling.

He will be off for big money. He was a special player last season too.

Big clubs will often let a championship club take the plunge first to see if they sink or swim. If they swim then they are happy to pay the premium that comes with it.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024