Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. 23:48 - Aug 15 with 2655 viewsKerouac

As we know, when the Swans have the ball our attacking shape (seemingly demanded by Martin) looks like this...

--------------------- GK ----------------------------
----------------- SW ----- CM (dropping in) --
------ CB ------------------------- CB -------------
------------------------- CM (going short) -----
-------- CM ----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------
RWB ------------ ST --------- ST ----------- LWB

I have read on here that Martin is trying to play Man City's system with Championship players.
I'll explain why this is obviously not true (Pep plays 4-3-3 for a start), he is in fact trying to play a system a bit like Ajax's under Erik ten Haag (current Man Utd manager).

Why Pep would never have his team shape like ours...

1. Pep has a rule that no more than 3 players can ever be in a horizontal line...as you will have observed, we usually have 4 in the front line.

2. Pep has a rule that no more than 2 player can be in a vertical line...as you will have observed, we often have 3 (CB, CM, ST).

3. The most important zone on the pitch to Pep (and to me, and to Laudrup, and to an awful lot of people) is the zone behind the striker, in-between the lines.
Pep's whole game plan is to create overloads in this area, that is the purpose of the passing/possession for Pep.
His style leans on tiki-taka (quick interchange of passing at pace) but is different as it is all about disorganising the opposition with the passing and creating overloads in the vital area of the pitch with the player's movement...the rules of where the players are allowed to be and how they are to move is drilled into his players (hence the rules on the verticals and the horizontals).

It is a system that allows the players a lot of freedom, it requires intelligence to play it, players are not stuck in one position, they can move into different areas of the pitch...all that he asks is that they move as a team;
- if a full-back/wing-back tucks narrow, the winger goes wide (and vice versa)
- If a defender brings it forward 1 midfielder will drop to provide cover and the short pass, 1 midfielder drives forward into the space between the lines
- If 1 striker drops into the hole the other makes the forward run
- If a striker pulls wide (to create an overload with the winger, either the other winger or a midfielder runs forward into the striker position.

The team is fluid, it breathes. They pull the opposition around and everybody's first thought on the ball is can I get it to a team mate in that space between the lines...that is the goal...as soon as they make that pass another player joins him in-between the lines...if the overload is not possible this time it goes wide...

Pep understands (...and this is really not complicated) that you hurt teams when you get the ball in this space in-between the lines; shots, through balls, putting the winger in behind, or simply dragging a defender out of the line with you.

Now, we are not Man City and we do not possess some of the World's best players...but we did have Martinez and Rodgers eras, so we should (as fans) understand that it is possible to play quality attacking, possession based football in the Championship.

How could Martin adjust?

I'd play 4-3-3 given the squad we have but let's see if we can tweak Martin's system so it would make more sense.
The attacking shape of the team should look more like this;

--------------------- GK ----------------------------
----------------- SW ----- CM (dropping in) --
------ CB ------------------------- CB -------------
---------------------- CM (going short) ---------
RWB----------------------------------------- LWB
---------------- CM --------- ST -------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
------------------------- ST -------------------------

- The Wing backs dropping deeper give the man on the ball extra short options or the ball into the space down the wing (if the oppo full-back presses)

- The CM driving forward and the ST (Piroe probably) dropping in allows defenders and midfielders the option of playing a more direct 30-40 yard pass into feet

- We have diamonds everywhere and the possibility of flicking on (to the striker) or turning around the corner (for the wing-backs to run on to).

- If we find one of the players in the zone a short lay off to a midfielder or a wing-back allows the ball in behind for the striker

- Like Pep's system, we don't have more than 2 players across any vertical or horizontal

- If, for example, a wing back drops deeper to help a defender out by taking the ball short, the CB on the right side can push into the WB position and the RWB can get right up the line or get into that space between the lines...or even temporarily switch into midfield.
It depends on the situation.

Under Martin we are rigid.
Our movement needs to be Fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 00:08 - Aug 16 with 2636 viewsBadlands

TBF Obafemi has missed four really good chances, Piroe a couple, Cabango one, Fulton has come close.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 09:17 - Aug 16 with 2508 viewsCatullus

3 into 1 really does go eh Builthy

Wing backs, they shouldn't be so far up the pitch all the time, we need them to be able to defend. In fact, as I've said, any decent full back can get forward and supply crosses. You see it in local leagues so pros should be capable.

We need more movement with more pace in the game, generally speaking.

There we are Dr K, simplified it for you.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 10:52 - Aug 16 with 2432 viewsbuilthjack

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 09:17 - Aug 16 by Catullus

Wing backs, they shouldn't be so far up the pitch all the time, we need them to be able to defend. In fact, as I've said, any decent full back can get forward and supply crosses. You see it in local leagues so pros should be capable.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.
But the 3 in 1.fits perfectly.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 12:09 - Aug 16 with 2377 viewsPawelAbbott

Under Rogers the midfield rarely stopped running.
Britton and Joey would always be offering a short option, playing small triangles.
How many times have we given the ball away due to there not being an easy ball available. We are forever stuck, under pressure with the only option being a risky pass across the back
Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 12:11 - Aug 16 with 2375 viewskrunchykarrot

We will still need a WB who can outpace me to a free bar beat a man and deliver. We have lost wing play in general, watching Diaz goal last night was superb, took on a few defenders saw opportunity and took it.
Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 12:39 - Aug 16 with 2348 viewsKerouac

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 10:52 - Aug 16 by builthjack

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Superb football insight 👏

You are wasted on us.

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 14:21 - Aug 16 with 2276 viewsKerouac

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 09:17 - Aug 16 by Catullus

How impressive you are Catullus, such expert football knowledge, you must be some kind of "genius"...maybe only people who played to a decent level should be qualified to offer their wisdom though ay, you know, just to be consistent.

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 16:23 - Aug 16 with 2193 viewsCatullus

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 14:21 - Aug 16 by Kerouac

How impressive you are Catullus, such expert football knowledge, you must be some kind of "genius"...maybe only people who played to a decent level should be qualified to offer their wisdom though ay, you know, just to be consistent.

Well I've never studied US law, don't often look at their political news but I have been watching the Swans for 50 years and played local league for 23 years, I even co-managed a team for one season.

I'm surprised you didn't back up your lecture with some stats though, you know, just to be thorough.

PS, I never said people couldn't have an opinion but I did question why you thought you knew better than legal experts. That answer became obvious, as are you Dr K.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 16:26 - Aug 16 with 2191 viewspencoedjack

Pep & Martin in the same sentence
Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 13:15 - Aug 17 with 1841 viewsDr_Parnassus

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 10:52 - Aug 16 by builthjack

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

How embarrassing for you.

Have you ever got anything right? And you have dragged another of your mates along with you on your crazy fantasies to make them look equally stupid.

Lessons chaps. Lessons.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Where Martin is going wrong re: Attacking & how he is not like Pep. on 20:42 - Aug 18 with 1738 viewsAndyCole

Excellent, elite level insight Dr_K (Doctor is surely now deserving after such ongoing, unrivalled insight).

The stand-out for me: '..........he is in fact trying to play a system a bit like Ajax's under Erik ten Haag (current Man Utd manager)..' .

The reason why Martin is so massively dependant upon and thus so pro-Grimes (and now Joey too) is that they are highly gifted, calm, intelligent technical players with uber levels of inner belief - to take that pass in the deep pivot, to always look to take responsibility and exude unrivalled levels of confidence. The foundations for everything ten Haag.

The reason why ten Haag's team is struggling is that (even with Eriksen) they dont have players with that ability - they panic and flounder at the deep pivot.

Now with Grimes-Allen axis I fully expect us to kick on with an altogether more appropriate brand, dominating the deep and mid-pivots, playing progressive zippy triangles and wider more dynamic interchange - such a far cry from Martin's originally flawed model v1.0.

More threads like this Dr_K, will surely prompt far more footballing insight and dialogue on here - most esp from the Martinstas who still proffer very little.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024