Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MOTM 22:13 - Jan 7 with 3849 viewsswan_si

why is "man of the match" now called "player of the match", I mean it's played with 22 men, 23 if you include the ref, on the pitch.
MOTM on 12:06 - Jan 8 with 976 viewsDr_Parnassus

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/inclusive-language-risks-dehumanising-women-top-

Some excellent articles here from top researchers.

They mirror what I am relaying, for the same reasons.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

MOTM on 12:11 - Jan 8 with 994 viewsSTID2017

MOTM on 12:03 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Which part do you disagree with? And why?

Otherwise it is coming off as intentionally provocative to keep saying “have a lovely day” while refusing to discuss the point at hand. I assume because you know there is far more to back up what I say than what you say.

As an aside, what I said is not an opinion, it was a fact. People DO feel their identities are being eroded and IT IS due to language change such as this.

That was not something to agree or disagree with.

I disagree too but have a lovely evening.
Summer out there now isn't it.
Guess you will be enjoying a bbq on the beach ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

MOTM on 12:19 - Jan 8 with 950 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 12:11 - Jan 8 by STID2017

I disagree too but have a lovely evening.
Summer out there now isn't it.
Guess you will be enjoying a bbq on the beach ?

Disagree with what? And why?

You don’t disagree of course and neither does John. John wants to disagree (because it sounds virtuous) but isn’t able to - so as usual when that occurs, made a provocative quip and ran… you like to join in with things like that too, so are now doing so.

Neither of you can disagree however; because these are literally women telling you that de-gendering language is making them feel undervalued and eroding their identity.

Top researchers and social scientists from all around the world also found this to be the case in their studies. It is hugely disrespectful to say you disagree with how these women feel about such language changes, it’s how they feel not how you feel.

It’s 11pm at night, strange times you have BBQs.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 12:21]

MOTM on 12:24 - Jan 8 with 935 viewsDr_Parnassus

Take it from the women themselves

[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 12:34]

MOTM on 12:43 - Jan 8 with 937 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 10:46 - Jan 8 by swan_si

And your Aunt no longer needs balls to be your uncle

Yet we happily use the word ‘cousins’ without the need use male or female 🤷🏻
MOTM on 12:47 - Jan 8 with 894 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 12:43 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Not all language is gendered; doesn’t mean we should de-gender all of them.

By the same stroke it doesn’t mean we should gender all de-gendered language.

It’s a very sinister movement where genders are intentionally being merged and reality and science being distanced in order to serve a very small but noisy minority who crave political power and social dominance.

I hope women start standing up for their identities in greater number soon, men largely will I feel.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 12:50]

MOTM on 16:53 - Jan 8 with 852 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 12:43 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

And of course language evolves.

We used to call them linesmen, now we use assistant referees.

No big deal.
MOTM on 17:09 - Jan 8 with 841 viewsReslovenSwan1

MOTM on 16:53 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

And of course language evolves.

We used to call them linesmen, now we use assistant referees.

No big deal.

There is a clear difference.

a) Women referees and lines- people can legally ref in the men's game.
b) Only men can be players in the man's game.
c) Only women can play in the women's game.

The best player on the field in a men's game by definition has to be man. There is no other option. Same for a woman the women's game.

If the authorities want a 'Person of the match' then it would have to be "open" for men women or trans people to play for Swansea city in the championship. As it stands there are no women to trans people remotely good enough to play Professional football.

The trans issue is a challenging problem for sports administrators and should in my opinion have a separate classification.

An "open" contest occurs in darts. Some women can compete. Women cannot compete in football so it cannot be 'open'. The gender of the best player can therefore only be a man. If football is made open women's football ends and chauvinists from 1920s always wanted .
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 17:11]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Login to get fewer ads

MOTM on 17:15 - Jan 8 with 827 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 17:09 - Jan 8 by ReslovenSwan1

There is a clear difference.

a) Women referees and lines- people can legally ref in the men's game.
b) Only men can be players in the man's game.
c) Only women can play in the women's game.

The best player on the field in a men's game by definition has to be man. There is no other option. Same for a woman the women's game.

If the authorities want a 'Person of the match' then it would have to be "open" for men women or trans people to play for Swansea city in the championship. As it stands there are no women to trans people remotely good enough to play Professional football.

The trans issue is a challenging problem for sports administrators and should in my opinion have a separate classification.

An "open" contest occurs in darts. Some women can compete. Women cannot compete in football so it cannot be 'open'. The gender of the best player can therefore only be a man. If football is made open women's football ends and chauvinists from 1920s always wanted .
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 17:11]

Men and women are both players so player of the match is a perfectly reasonable way of saying it.
MOTM on 17:20 - Jan 8 with 819 viewsWhiterockin

MOTM on 17:15 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Men and women are both players so player of the match is a perfectly reasonable way of saying it.

The world moves on with football and their sponsors meeting the remit.
MOTM on 17:27 - Jan 8 with 805 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 17:20 - Jan 8 by Whiterockin

The world moves on with football and their sponsors meeting the remit.

Yep, and it’s not a legal thing. Nobody is forcing anyone else to say it.

There are far bigger issues regarding sex and gender in sport and getting hung up on something so minor stops those conversations.

Personally (and this is just a little thing), I find that when Sky Sports News use the same team names for women’s and men’s teams, ie Man United, that seems confusing and daft.

If at the end of a Swans game it’s announced that Joe Allen is player of the match, I’m not going to turn round to the person next to me and ask if that’s a man or a woman.
MOTM on 17:27 - Jan 8 with 805 viewsReslovenSwan1

MOTM on 17:15 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

If a lines person is eligible to be best performer of the day then you have a point. Men and women players cannot exist on the pitch at the same time (part of a match) . It is not allowed in the rules.

A formerly male player who has converted to a women could notionally play in a women's team but this is one of the issues now being discussed particularly in the Olympics. I am not fully up on the law on this.

MOTM on 17:28 - Jan 8 with 801 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 17:27 - Jan 8 by ReslovenSwan1

If a lines person is eligible to be best performer of the day then you have a point. Men and women players cannot exist on the pitch at the same time (part of a match) . It is not allowed in the rules.

A formerly male player who has converted to a women could notionally play in a women's team but this is one of the issues now being discussed particularly in the Olympics. I am not fully up on the law on this.

More importantly, why is it a problem?
MOTM on 17:40 - Jan 8 with 785 viewsWhiterockin

MOTM on 17:27 - Jan 8 by ReslovenSwan1

Male or female they are all players and can be awarded player of the match, as Gwyn says why is it an issue.
MOTM on 17:51 - Jan 8 with 774 viewsAnotherJohn

MOTM on 07:15 - Jan 8 by SullutaCreturned

Maybe we should change it to.....MVP

Why can't it stay MOTM in the mens game and be WOTM in the womens game, have we really become that absurd that we are not allowed to differentiate between men and women?

I see you got down-voted by "Parent'sarmy".
MOTM on 18:05 - Jan 8 with 750 viewsReslovenSwan1

MOTM on 17:40 - Jan 8 by Whiterockin

Male or female they are all players and can be awarded player of the match, as Gwyn says why is it an issue.

Why has it been changed?. Man of the match can only be a man by the laws of the game. Who has made this decision and why? Has the FA been lobbied by activists? if so who are they?.

it is entirely right there are assistant referees because of Sian Massey and co. There is no reason to change Man of the match at all. It cannot be anything else.

MOTM on 18:15 - Jan 8 with 721 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 18:05 - Jan 8 by ReslovenSwan1

Why has it been changed?. Man of the match can only be a man by the laws of the game. Who has made this decision and why? Has the FA been lobbied by activists? if so who are they?.

it is entirely right there are assistant referees because of Sian Massey and co. There is no reason to change Man of the match at all. It cannot be anything else.

The question was why does it matter?

None of us are mandated to say it? We can all still say man of the match if we want to.

Player of the match is a bit simpler if anything. One word instead of two.
MOTM on 18:16 - Jan 8 with 721 viewsWhiterockin

I think it started in cricket then rugby and was later picked up by FIFA as I believe.
MOTM on 18:22 - Jan 8 with 710 viewsswan_si

Well said young man.
MOTM on 18:47 - Jan 8 with 681 viewsGwyn737

Riyad Mahrez has been named Player of the Match from this afternoon’s FA Cup tie between Man City and Chelsea.

For those who don’t know what that means it’s saying Riyad Mahrez was Man of the Match today.
MOTM on 19:12 - Jan 8 with 658 viewsSullutaCreturned

MOTM on 11:45 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

It does to many, maybe not this specific example, but that’s how the left change language and culture. By doing it slowly and gradually so any pushback they can stop on that specific example and say “but it’s only…. “.

Gender is getting merged and a lot of people feel their identity is being eroded. For example the word mother is banned in some people in place of “birthing person”. These subtle tweaks to language are intentional and culturally important.

This all started with people saying “does it really matter if someone wants to be called whatever they like”… now we have people facing punishment, both financial and societal for not complying.

So it’s about the bigger picture not the issues in isolation. There is absolutely no need to “de-gender” language in the men’s game.

Well then, I agree with you. it's not just about ths small thing in isolation, it's about the bigger picture too.

Wherever you look there are small changes being made that by themselves don't amount to very much but when you start adding them all together it becomes something much bigger.

For me the big question is why change it, if it isn't really needed and isn't a big thing then why do it? Is it change for the sake of it or part of big agenda?

To be honest most of us will keep saying MOTM until all us oldies are gone and the young uns are saying POTM which, it seems to me is too wordy anyway and if we are going to do it, MVP seems better. Some won't like that though because it's too American.
MOTM on 19:22 - Jan 8 with 639 viewsswan_si

MOTM on 18:47 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Riyad Mahrez has been named Player of the Match from this afternoon’s FA Cup tie between Man City and Chelsea.

For those who don’t know what that means it’s saying Riyad Mahrez was Man of the Match today.

Did they, good on them.
MOTM on 19:45 - Jan 8 with 609 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 19:22 - Jan 8 by swan_si

Did they, good on them.

Fair play, that made me laugh 👏
MOTM on 19:54 - Jan 8 with 596 viewsBoundy

MOTM on 08:40 - Jan 8 by Sirjohnalot

Does it really matter ?

Yes it does because a simple and correct discription which has been part of the game since its inception has now become part of the the ongoing political and social agenda for some who cry foul when ever something they disagree with , its a mans & women’s game which is not atm mixed sex , so to be clear when it’s men playing its motm , when it’s women who cares

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

MOTM on 20:03 - Jan 8 with 590 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 19:54 - Jan 8 by Boundy

Yes it does because a simple and correct discription which has been part of the game since its inception has now become part of the the ongoing political and social agenda for some who cry foul when ever something they disagree with , its a mans & women’s game which is not atm mixed sex , so to be clear when it’s men playing its motm , when it’s women who cares

The men are already called players, though.

Joe Allen is a Swansea City player. We don’t refer to him as a Swansea City Male player.

The use of the word player works in this instance. We’re not changing meaning at all.

I’ve posted many times on her about my concerns over transgenderism in sport and women’s rights, but on this occasion it doesn’t matter.

Who is being effected? Who is being hurt? Again, what is the problem?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024