Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Grimes. 08:50 - Oct 1 with 4578 viewslifelong

Gets a fair bit of stick on here.

His performance yesterday produced 90 touches of the football with a 94% pass success rate, with a very good goal to top off an excellent performance.
Matt Grimes. on 18:05 - Oct 2 with 1447 viewsTreforys_Jack

Think what most are saying is that Grimes could be so much better than he's shown us in the past. His dead ball prowess is shocking and the rest of the starting 11 must be even worse. The telling factor that has been pointed out is, there has been no serious attempt by another club to sign him, even when he was down to the last year of his contract. Hopefully Duff can let him loose of the shackles Russy put on him, and the real Matt Grimes shows up.
Who was the poster that kept saying that Downes was holding Grimes back and wasn't fit to lace his boots etc. He was fun, anyone remember his name?
Matt Grimes. on 19:27 - Oct 2 with 1387 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes. on 18:05 - Oct 2 by Treforys_Jack

Think what most are saying is that Grimes could be so much better than he's shown us in the past. His dead ball prowess is shocking and the rest of the starting 11 must be even worse. The telling factor that has been pointed out is, there has been no serious attempt by another club to sign him, even when he was down to the last year of his contract. Hopefully Duff can let him loose of the shackles Russy put on him, and the real Matt Grimes shows up.
Who was the poster that kept saying that Downes was holding Grimes back and wasn't fit to lace his boots etc. He was fun, anyone remember his name?

I wouldn't say Martin shackled him, but he certainly came to rely on and indulge Grimes' more conservative impulses when it comes to possession.

It was notable on Saturday that Grimes got further up the pitch than he has in previous games, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that Duff has been trying to get him to do all season. If memory serves he made comment to that effect earlier on in the campaign.

Otherwise you're correct. He's capable, perhaps capable of more than he's shown, but for the most part he's been far from one of the standouts in the division. Not a great shock to see one of the dimmer bulbs in this website's long and illustrious history try and fail yet again to be a smartarse about it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Matt Grimes. on 22:59 - Oct 2 with 1315 viewsRichardO

A case of what a player adds to a team in the role he has been asked to play, a number of managers have persisted with Grimes as the prime corner taker of the team, all to a man relieving him of those duties for someone who can deliver more dangerous corners, in most case the managers have then put Grimes as the last man on those attacking corners, which he is not taking, leaving us vulnerable to counter attack because of his lack of pace again managers in most cases realising their mistake.
Think you will find Dunn usually leaves two pacy players deep to negate the counterattack.
Grimes needs hard workers around him to keep the midfield solid while allowing him to try and control the game but he does tend to drop deep, it does seem with a back four he is happier to let the defenders get on with it, leaving him further up the park. In all fairness with four at the back Grimes still needed more than Hourihane, Fulton and Corey Smith to maintain a driving midfield to assist the forward line, the likes of Allen, Liam Walsh, Cooper and Cundle last year, even Paterson when he gets himself sorted so maybe this year along with Patino it might make a difference. A lot of teams do spend a lot effort to shut Grimes and the middle of the park down, with alternative ball players in our ranks that might not be so easy.
Matt Grimes. on 23:14 - Oct 2 with 1304 viewsKeithHaynes

If fit I think it will be Patino, Paterson and Grimes.

Personally I would add Cooper in midfield and have Lowe and Mykola up front.

I could be wrong but Yates needs more than a few days with two dead legs.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Matt Grimes. on 23:50 - Oct 2 with 1293 viewsRichardO

Matt Grimes. on 23:14 - Oct 2 by KeithHaynes

If fit I think it will be Patino, Paterson and Grimes.

Personally I would add Cooper in midfield and have Lowe and Mykola up front.

I could be wrong but Yates needs more than a few days with two dead legs.

As you say wouldn't risk Yates don't need to chance increasing the size of the injury list.
Assume he will keep the three quoted but will he play three attackers as a home game or keep it tight across the middle.
Matt Grimes. on 18:25 - Oct 3 with 1155 viewsswancity

Undoubtedly Grimes is an outstanding Championship footballer. His record speaks for itself as he closes in on 400 league games. Other managers also know how influential he is and he’s hardly missed a game for several seasons, a remarkable achievement only matched by Ashley Williams. His best position is holding ie just in front of the defensive line where he can and does link things so well. I suppose to really understand his effectiveness you might have had to play football. Those that have played the game invariably will almost always appreciate his massive contribution.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Matt Grimes. on 00:32 - Oct 4 with 1086 viewsTreforys_Jack

Matt Grimes. on 18:25 - Oct 3 by swancity

Undoubtedly Grimes is an outstanding Championship footballer. His record speaks for itself as he closes in on 400 league games. Other managers also know how influential he is and he’s hardly missed a game for several seasons, a remarkable achievement only matched by Ashley Williams. His best position is holding ie just in front of the defensive line where he can and does link things so well. I suppose to really understand his effectiveness you might have had to play football. Those that have played the game invariably will almost always appreciate his massive contribution.

I've played for over 20yrs and 800+ games and think there is so much more to Grimes that what he shows us. He can be so ponderous in his distribution, then he produces a quick release and someone is away, its definitely in his locker, just so frustrating that he doesn't produce those moments more frequently. Then again if he did, he'd have probably been long gone.
Matt Grimes. on 06:24 - Oct 4 with 1056 viewsangryjack

Matt Grimes. on 00:32 - Oct 4 by Treforys_Jack

I've played for over 20yrs and 800+ games and think there is so much more to Grimes that what he shows us. He can be so ponderous in his distribution, then he produces a quick release and someone is away, its definitely in his locker, just so frustrating that he doesn't produce those moments more frequently. Then again if he did, he'd have probably been long gone.

He definitely can produce thise quick releases,but it's not always about the player releasing the ball the run has got to be there to make the pass last couple years our football has been pedestrianised, so all he can do is go sideways or backwards as the runners not been there,what is the point in putting the ball behind the full back oor down the channel if the runners not making the rum,under Potter he was making these quick releases and switches with Dan James and celina and Co running off the ball,it's the runner who makes the pass,if the runner not there the pass cant be made..
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Grimes. on 06:59 - Oct 4 with 1033 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes. on 06:24 - Oct 4 by angryjack

He definitely can produce thise quick releases,but it's not always about the player releasing the ball the run has got to be there to make the pass last couple years our football has been pedestrianised, so all he can do is go sideways or backwards as the runners not been there,what is the point in putting the ball behind the full back oor down the channel if the runners not making the rum,under Potter he was making these quick releases and switches with Dan James and celina and Co running off the ball,it's the runner who makes the pass,if the runner not there the pass cant be made..

Except that the runner is almost always there and doesn't get the pass from him anyway. At least five or six times a game an easy forward ball is available and he doesn't take it.

It's just how he's wired. Scouts from other clubs have clearly noticed this which is why none of them have ever tried to sign him.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Matt Grimes. on 07:23 - Oct 4 with 1014 viewsTreforys_Jack

Matt Grimes. on 06:59 - Oct 4 by Dr_Winston

Except that the runner is almost always there and doesn't get the pass from him anyway. At least five or six times a game an easy forward ball is available and he doesn't take it.

It's just how he's wired. Scouts from other clubs have clearly noticed this which is why none of them have ever tried to sign him.

Agreed, the ball is often on, but he either doesn't see it or more likely that he's been programmed to play safe and keep the ball. We definitely see glimpses, but like I said in an earlier post, if he produced more often, then he wouldn't still be here.
Matt Grimes. on 16:22 - Oct 4 with 899 viewsSullutaCreturned

Matt Grimes. on 18:25 - Oct 3 by swancity

So you don't think that any of his critics have played the game?

I'm going to say it, you are VERY wrong.

If Grimes is so outstanding someone would have made a serious bid for him.

Leon was outstanding in that position, Grimes is a poor imitation of Leon.
Matt Grimes. on 16:54 - Oct 4 with 883 viewsnantywatcher

Matt Grimes. on 16:22 - Oct 4 by SullutaCreturned

As this forum proves there is a massive divide between playing the game and understanding the game. Matt Grimes is undoubtedly an outstanding Championship player; every single pundit and TV commentator acknowledges that. His work rate is phenomenal and we are privileged to have him on our books. I have never understood, the rose-tinted glasses with which Joe is viewed - excellent player however a long way from being perfect.
Matt Grimes. on 18:04 - Oct 4 with 850 viewsonehunglow

We are seeing a return to seeing fans believing they are smarter than others. Hence the pitiful sly digs .
Haven’t played the game? Just wind the neck in.
Yiu don’t need to have played at all to see the way Grimes has slowed down our play for four years by endless passes .
Now,somebody explain the sense of passing to a team mate,then receiving it back then repeating 3 times,when the opposition is organising themselves as the play is so slow.
Slow. Get it !

It’s about time we quit all this crap between fans.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Matt Grimes. on 18:26 - Oct 4 with 828 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes. on 18:04 - Oct 4 by onehunglow

We are seeing a return to seeing fans believing they are smarter than others. Hence the pitiful sly digs .
Haven’t played the game? Just wind the neck in.
Yiu don’t need to have played at all to see the way Grimes has slowed down our play for four years by endless passes .
Now,somebody explain the sense of passing to a team mate,then receiving it back then repeating 3 times,when the opposition is organising themselves as the play is so slow.
Slow. Get it !

It’s about time we quit all this crap between fans.

There’s an ex pro on this very forum.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Matt Grimes. on 18:35 - Oct 4 with 818 viewsjack247

Not a pop at you, but there’s some serious irony in that post.

Leon went to Sheffield when Sousa wasn’t picking him, but from the time he came back, we clearly didn’t get a serious enough bid to tempt the club to sell him to go for the rest of his career.

No one would hold that against Leon. He’s a really bad example if you want to hold it against Grimes.
Matt Grimes. on 18:36 - Oct 4 with 819 viewsTreforys_Jack

Matt Grimes. on 16:54 - Oct 4 by nantywatcher

As this forum proves there is a massive divide between playing the game and understanding the game. Matt Grimes is undoubtedly an outstanding Championship player; every single pundit and TV commentator acknowledges that. His work rate is phenomenal and we are privileged to have him on our books. I have never understood, the rose-tinted glasses with which Joe is viewed - excellent player however a long way from being perfect.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to pundits, most rhought our football under Russy was excellent.
Matt Grimes. on 19:00 - Oct 4 with 793 viewsonehunglow

Matt Grimes. on 18:26 - Oct 4 by KeithHaynes

There’s an ex pro on this very forum.

They are others I’m sure .
The game is still about opinions

You don’t hVe to be a former professional of any sport to offer a comment .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Matt Grimes. on 22:29 - Oct 4 with 732 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes. on 19:00 - Oct 4 by onehunglow

They are others I’m sure .
The game is still about opinions

You don’t hVe to be a former professional of any sport to offer a comment .

There are ex pro pundits who have virtually no knowledge of football.
Matt Grimes. on 22:34 - Oct 4 with 713 viewsDr_Winston

Anyway, back to the subject.

Did quite well in parts tonight. It seems pretty obvious that Duff wants him to be more attacking but it's taking a while to shake off so many years worth of bad habits.

If he can finally kick them then there's hope for him after all.

Matt Grimes. on 22:36 - Oct 4 with 708 viewsRichardO

Matt Grimes. on 22:29 - Oct 4 by Whiterockin

There are ex pro pundits who have virtually no knowledge of football.

Chris Sutton, mentioning no names, so sorry just did
Matt Grimes. on 23:42 - Oct 4 with 660 viewsFireboy2

Matt Grimes. on 22:36 - Oct 4 by RichardO

Chris Sutton, mentioning no names, so sorry just did

One total pr!ck.
Matt Grimes. on 06:59 - Oct 5 with 602 viewsRichardO

Matt Grimes. on 23:42 - Oct 4 by Fireboy2

One total pr!ck.

Quite liked Sutton on the pitch as a player but nowhere as good as he obviously, in his mind, thinks he is compared to some of the players he criticises.

Back to Grimes, thought in general the ball going much quicker through but also around him making it much hard for the opposition to close him and us down.
Did his play aid the team or did the team play aid him, a little of both, thought he did for a time drop a little too deep but generally had a good game as did the team, sometimes fine lines.
Matt Grimes. on 07:35 - Oct 5 with 579 viewsjack247

Matt Grimes. on 06:59 - Oct 5 by RichardO

Quite liked Sutton on the pitch as a player but nowhere as good as he obviously, in his mind, thinks he is compared to some of the players he criticises.

Back to Grimes, thought in general the ball going much quicker through but also around him making it much hard for the opposition to close him and us down.
Did his play aid the team or did the team play aid him, a little of both, thought he did for a time drop a little too deep but generally had a good game as did the team, sometimes fine lines.

Both. Patino didn’t have his best game last night, but his presence helps Grimes a lot IMO. He’s not the automatic ,go to option anymore and he just seems to have more time and space.
Matt Grimes. on 08:31 - Oct 5 with 552 viewsRichardO

Matt Grimes. on 07:35 - Oct 5 by jack247

Both. Patino didn’t have his best game last night, but his presence helps Grimes a lot IMO. He’s not the automatic ,go to option anymore and he just seems to have more time and space.

Would say Patino was naive at times but that is to be expected giving his first team experience but he does relieve the pressure on Grimes similar to when Allen plays as we don't expect him back any time soon maybe Walsh can help give options in the middle, although happy with Cooper but he needs to stop trying too hard to impress at the moment but with him on the pitch did we end uphighrt the park or was that due to Mykola?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024