Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? 16:39 - Nov 17 with 6998 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wrexham are being pressed to change their name to 'Wrecsam'. It sounds the same and should not trouble our English speaking friends too much.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wrexham-ryan-reynolds-rob-mcelhenne

"Ham" is an Saxon word for brook I recall so it would be a Welsh mangling an original English name. Llanelli is now only Welsh which is good and the old mangled Lanelly has gone. There is Pen y bont now in the Cymru Adran. Bari and Caerfili seem straight forward.

People would object to a change in the whole word not pronunciation for example 'Swansea City' to 'Dinas Abertawe'. It is easy for our non Welsh speaking friends to say but falls foul of tradition. Names and shirt colours are staunchly defended by traditionalists. As a relaxed liberal myself I can see this is valid.

I do however propose to the good forum that the women's team be changed to 'Dinas Abertawe'. "They aint got no tradition" so it will not be a big leap into the unknown.

I sometime get irritated when I see "Swansea sign up new goalscorer" . I open the page in excitement and anticipation to discover " Stacey Morgan has signed from Pontypridd United".

Another thread for the faithful during the international break. Kindly.

[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 20:11]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:41 - Nov 18 with 798 viewsmajorraglan

Article is a load of tosh. Wrexham is a privately owned company and the owners couldn't be forced in to changing the company/club name.
If they felt there was a commercial advantage in doing so, I suspect they would. I’d wager the same would happen in Swansea if the owners thought they could make a shed full of dosh from a rebranding.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:56 - Nov 18 with 776 viewsScotia

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:37 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

My PROPOSAL

Call the Women's Team DINAS ABERTAWE.

There reasons

a) It has local resonance
b) it is inclusive
c) It gives them a stronger identity
d) It voids confusion regarding headlines.

Any vote should be regarding ONLY the Women's team. I accept changing the men s team name would be unpopular.

It doesn't have local resonance.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:07 - Nov 18 with 766 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:56 - Nov 18 by Scotia

It doesn't have local resonance.

It does have local resonance. Many of the fans are Welsh speaking. The Welsh language developed in Wales and has been spoken here for about 3000 years before Christianity. Efforts to eradicate the language by UK Government and local Welsh monoglot people have failed.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:48 - Nov 18 with 735 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:37 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

My PROPOSAL

Call the Women's Team DINAS ABERTAWE.

There reasons

a) It has local resonance
b) it is inclusive
c) It gives them a stronger identity
d) It voids confusion regarding headlines.

Any vote should be regarding ONLY the Women's team. I accept changing the men s team name would be unpopular.

Ok.

a) the English would resonate more with people
b) does the English affect inclusivity? I don’t believe for one second it would
c) the English name has a stronger identity both within and outside Wales
d) easily solved by calling them Swansea City Ladies

Not difficult.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:49 - Nov 18 with 735 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:41 - Nov 18 by majorraglan

Article is a load of tosh. Wrexham is a privately owned company and the owners couldn't be forced in to changing the company/club name.
If they felt there was a commercial advantage in doing so, I suspect they would. I’d wager the same would happen in Swansea if the owners thought they could make a shed full of dosh from a rebranding.

RE BRANDING never goes down well in football. In this case the women team has only recently been formed as part of the club structure. They have no brand. Dinas Abertawe would be a good one in my view. No need to say Women after. Dinas Abertawe is the women's team.

Anglo s on here object of course.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:52 - Nov 18 with 728 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:07 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

It does have local resonance. Many of the fans are Welsh speaking. The Welsh language developed in Wales and has been spoken here for about 3000 years before Christianity. Efforts to eradicate the language by UK Government and local Welsh monoglot people have failed.

Many,really.
Swansea is a large urban conurbation made Anglesey by centuries of “ immigrants” .
Many ,I recall ,recoiled regarding welsh speaking ,munown mother,a sand fields girls ,a prime example.
Nevertheless,she was a great soul ,notwithstanding she only spoke English.
Nothing divides us like this bluddy language .
Fact.

Mainly English players,English league, players speaking English .

This is primarily a Swansea club . Nice to have support from outlying areas but it represents the city ,which is overwhelmingly English speaking and with ever increasing immigration,it will remain so.

English is of more use to asylum seekers

Fact

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:52 - Nov 18 with 731 viewsScotia

Many Man Utd fans speak Mandarin.

The Welsh language evolved out of use in Swansea. Sweins Ey would be of more relevance.

Swansea City football club in all its forms represent the City of Swansea, we may have fans elsewhere out of their own choosing and that's great but we're not a Welsh speaking city.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:01 - Nov 18 with 717 viewslifelong

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:52 - Nov 18 by onehunglow

Many,really.
Swansea is a large urban conurbation made Anglesey by centuries of “ immigrants” .
Many ,I recall ,recoiled regarding welsh speaking ,munown mother,a sand fields girls ,a prime example.
Nevertheless,she was a great soul ,notwithstanding she only spoke English.
Nothing divides us like this bluddy language .
Fact.

Mainly English players,English league, players speaking English .

This is primarily a Swansea club . Nice to have support from outlying areas but it represents the city ,which is overwhelmingly English speaking and with ever increasing immigration,it will remain so.

English is of more use to asylum seekers

Fact

Swansea City is a Welsh club…fact. Even if it played in the Hindustani league it would still be a Welsh club.👍
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:07 - Nov 18 with 711 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:52 - Nov 18 by Scotia

Many Man Utd fans speak Mandarin.

The Welsh language evolved out of use in Swansea. Sweins Ey would be of more relevance.

Swansea City football club in all its forms represent the City of Swansea, we may have fans elsewhere out of their own choosing and that's great but we're not a Welsh speaking city.

Pretty bluddy obvious Scot.
I cannot recall anyone on the north bank in the 60s speaking Welsh.
Ironically, both my paternal grandparents were first language Welsh but always spoke to me in English than Welsh to each other.
Ma was a Fleet St girl and nobody spoke welsh in the Sandfields of my youth .
Same in Cwmbwrla where dads family lived which spawned our greatest players .
They were genuine 100% Swansea Jacks,ie residents of Swansea
Nobody spoke welsh in the pubs and clubs in town apart from the valley warriors who turned up looking for our girls .

I tell you this, Charlo and Ivircwoykdcturn in their graves seeing the garbage on this thread .

You don’t have to speak Welsh to be proud of your roots or your town or your country.
I think the influences of out of Swansea fans and that of Welsh language pressure is leading to this dialogue .

Once a Jack .

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:23 - Nov 18 with 669 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:07 - Nov 18 by onehunglow

Pretty bluddy obvious Scot.
I cannot recall anyone on the north bank in the 60s speaking Welsh.
Ironically, both my paternal grandparents were first language Welsh but always spoke to me in English than Welsh to each other.
Ma was a Fleet St girl and nobody spoke welsh in the Sandfields of my youth .
Same in Cwmbwrla where dads family lived which spawned our greatest players .
They were genuine 100% Swansea Jacks,ie residents of Swansea
Nobody spoke welsh in the pubs and clubs in town apart from the valley warriors who turned up looking for our girls .

I tell you this, Charlo and Ivircwoykdcturn in their graves seeing the garbage on this thread .

You don’t have to speak Welsh to be proud of your roots or your town or your country.
I think the influences of out of Swansea fans and that of Welsh language pressure is leading to this dialogue .

Once a Jack .

You are not proud of your heritage of 3000 years. You are not proud of you ancestors who fought the Norman led English royalty for 400 years. You want Wales to be English only speaking and Wales to be a region of England with an unusual accent.

I am proud of this heritage and want it to persist. A large percentage of Swansea fans speak Welsh. SCFC is not the sole property of the people of the city centre which often have a high immigrant proportion. You left the city.

The Welsh language needs acknowledgement it is not "garbage" as you call it. You have missed the Welsh language boat. You have have had perhaps upto 50 years to put that right but not done so. I suspect you are not able to master it. I understand your bitterness.

The Women's team is idea for acknowledgement of the language. It is for the youth not ageing retired people who have left the area who have nothing good to say about the place.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:32 - Nov 18 with 657 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:23 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

You are not proud of your heritage of 3000 years. You are not proud of you ancestors who fought the Norman led English royalty for 400 years. You want Wales to be English only speaking and Wales to be a region of England with an unusual accent.

I am proud of this heritage and want it to persist. A large percentage of Swansea fans speak Welsh. SCFC is not the sole property of the people of the city centre which often have a high immigrant proportion. You left the city.

The Welsh language needs acknowledgement it is not "garbage" as you call it. You have missed the Welsh language boat. You have have had perhaps upto 50 years to put that right but not done so. I suspect you are not able to master it. I understand your bitterness.

The Women's team is idea for acknowledgement of the language. It is for the youth not ageing retired people who have left the area who have nothing good to say about the place.

The last paragraph is not called for or necessary and is a true reflection of your bigoted opinions.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:32 - Nov 18 with 657 viewsSullutaCreturned

About 11% of Swansea people speak Welsh accorsing to the 2011 census.

Welsh Monoglots have not tried to eradicate the language, that was the "English" government going back a fair while, it started after Longshanks won in 1536 and carried on until fairly recently.
People who never learned Welsh or dont want to learn it are not actively trying to destroy it. if it has a place in the modern world it will survive. If it doesn't it will die out, survival of the fittest they call it.

I have noted that once more you attack the good people of Swansea. you really do seem to have a chip on your shoulder.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:48 - Nov 18 with 631 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:32 - Nov 18 by SullutaCreturned

Welsh Monoglots have not tried to eradicate the language, that was the "English" government going back a fair while, it started after Longshanks won in 1536 and carried on until fairly recently.
People who never learned Welsh or dont want to learn it are not actively trying to destroy it. if it has a place in the modern world it will survive. If it doesn't it will die out, survival of the fittest they call it.

I have noted that once more you attack the good people of Swansea. you really do seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

The women's team are watched by less than 11% of the men's team. They want an identity. I suggest calling themselves 'Dinas Abertawe'.

I do not attack the good people of Swansea. I question the expatriates of the Wirral that knock everything Welsh enthusiastically promote disinterest in the national team and calls promoting Welsh as 'garbage'.

The "chip on the shoulder" is a weak trope used by people who cannot understand our culture.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:37 - Nov 18 with 598 viewsScotia

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:48 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

The women's team are watched by less than 11% of the men's team. They want an identity. I suggest calling themselves 'Dinas Abertawe'.

I do not attack the good people of Swansea. I question the expatriates of the Wirral that knock everything Welsh enthusiastically promote disinterest in the national team and calls promoting Welsh as 'garbage'.

The "chip on the shoulder" is a weak trope used by people who cannot understand our culture.

They've got an identity, they're Swansea City. You may not like it but for various reasons the people of Swansea, in the vast majority, don't speak Welsh and never will.

In fact I was talking to a Steward in the Sunderland game who was from Nigeria. He was talking to colleagues in his native language, they were students living here for 3 years. I didn't hear Welsh spoken anywhere in or around the stadium during the entire day. Now Nigeria could be somewhere to develop an identity, a bigger potential than anywhere Welsh can take you.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 07:50 - Nov 19 with 545 viewsangryjack

You need to come out of your cave a bit more mush,up there,things have moved on a bit down ya in swansea,400 years ago meant sweet f.a to me or my mates..and I agree the Welsh language is just pointless,no matter how you try to big it up..
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 08:30 - Nov 19 with 536 viewsGwyn737

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:32 - Nov 18 by SullutaCreturned

Great point. Some myths have grown up around the eradication of the language, the Welsh Not being one example.

The Welsh Not was never government policy. It was used mainly in schools for first language Welsh speakers when the school’s main role was the teaching of English. These children would have still spoken Welsh consistently at home.

I’m not a Welsh speaker but I love the fact the language exists and support sensible measures to preserve it.

What I don’t like is the idea that speaking the language makes you a better or more passionate Welsh person. For most it’s just down to where or when you were born.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 8:31]
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 08:43 - Nov 19 with 530 views1983

What a load of old nonsense Wrexham changing their name to Wrecsam that's not changing their name thats changing two letters

Swansea til I die 👍

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 09:38 - Nov 19 with 496 viewsQJumpingJack

Abertawe is a great idea as we would be top of the league at the start of the season due to alphabetical order.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 09:39 - Nov 19 with 495 viewsQJumpingJack

The OP should give this to the Trust to propose to the Swans board/owners.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 09:50 - Nov 19 with 492 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 07:50 - Nov 19 by angryjack

You need to come out of your cave a bit more mush,up there,things have moved on a bit down ya in swansea,400 years ago meant sweet f.a to me or my mates..and I agree the Welsh language is just pointless,no matter how you try to big it up..

there's a lot more welsh speakers in and around Swansea now than there was 400 years ago.

I also know 100's of people who's first language is Welsh.

Open your eyes a bit.

If it means sweet FA to you and your mates, then good i am glad. It means a whole lot more to other people. Just a difference in opinions. No one is right or wrong.
Welsh is more widely spoken than people think its is.

I have moved only 10 minutes outside of Swansea and there isn't one day that goes by where you don't hear Welsh being spoken here.

More and more Welsh schools have opened in the Swansea area over the last two decades also.

Some people will quickly jump on this and reply something along the likes of... "you welsh speakers think your more welsh than those that don't speak welsh".
That seems to be the quick response.
Dear me, when I see that I will believe it and I will call it out.

This is a topic that not everyone is going to agree on, and that is because you have so many people on these forums and outside in the real world that fall into many categories, just to name a few..

Non Welsh Speakers
Welsh Speakers
First Language Welsh Speakers
Second Language Welsh Speakers
Third Language Welsh Speakers
People who hate and despise the language
People who love the language
People who think the language is dead
People who use and thrive in the language

I know people in each of them categories, and more. So many different opinions.

Catch you all on here next weekend.

SgorioFruit, out!!

edit.. no i am not in favour of changing the name to Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Abertawe
[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 9:51]

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 09:56 - Nov 19 with 488 viewsonehunglow

And about 1% in Townhill

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 09:59 - Nov 19 with 480 viewsonehunglow

You’re right.
When I read your pitiful garbage ,it’s totally vindicated.
Posts like yours shows how backward much of Wales is.
Swansea and the large towns and cities are clearly a century ahead of you .
Abertawe means we would be no longer Swans fans

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:07 - Nov 19 with 476 viewsWhiterockin

For all those banging on about the popularity of the Welsh language and changing the club name. Why don't you join a Welsh language fans forum for the Swans and communicate in your preferred tounge. If there isn't one, set one up.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:29 - Nov 19 with 450 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:07 - Nov 19 by Whiterockin

For all those banging on about the popularity of the Welsh language and changing the club name. Why don't you join a Welsh language fans forum for the Swans and communicate in your preferred tounge. If there isn't one, set one up.

Morning Whitey ( Gwyn)
It’s grey ,wet and gloomy in west Wirral so ,whilst watching the cricket,I’m passing the time on here.
I was out with black lab at 80 pm and fulminating on resolven and thinking if we became Abertawe FC we d no longer be called Swans and Jacks would morph to Jacs.
Can you imagine the indignation from every other club in the English pyramid.

Thee is the option of simply supporting a LOw club. All Saints v Newtown is a fair old derby ,like Connahs quay v Caernarfon / Bangor City.

Just hope not too many from outside Wales are reading this thread as it’s embarrassing .

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:38 - Nov 19 with 422 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:29 - Nov 19 by onehunglow

Morning Whitey ( Gwyn)
It’s grey ,wet and gloomy in west Wirral so ,whilst watching the cricket,I’m passing the time on here.
I was out with black lab at 80 pm and fulminating on resolven and thinking if we became Abertawe FC we d no longer be called Swans and Jacks would morph to Jacs.
Can you imagine the indignation from every other club in the English pyramid.

Thee is the option of simply supporting a LOw club. All Saints v Newtown is a fair old derby ,like Connahs quay v Caernarfon / Bangor City.

Just hope not too many from outside Wales are reading this thread as it’s embarrassing .

They do seem to forget what league we play in, it is called the EFL for a reason.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024