Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Farmers revolt 15:13 - Feb 9 with 2750 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh farmers protest that new Welsh government rules ordering them to set aside fertile arable land for tree planting and wildlife will be 'the death' of their livelihoods.

Absolutely crazy, but nothing surprises me with the bunch of clowns running Wales.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh Farmers revolt on 15:31 - Feb 9 with 1521 viewsWhiterockin

It will be interesting to know Builthies take on this, he seems to have connections with the farming community and is very pro Welsh Labour and the Senedd.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:46 - Feb 9 with 1480 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Farmers revolt on 15:31 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

It will be interesting to know Builthies take on this, he seems to have connections with the farming community and is very pro Welsh Labour and the Senedd.

I think it’s probably worth seeing the outcome of the consultation. The noises from the Rural Affairs minister seen positive on the surface.

"Do I think some of the proposals will have to be changed? Yes, of course I think that - there's no point having a consultation if you don't listen to it."

Of course, this is only necessary because of Brexit and everybody keeps telling me they knew we’d have to take some short term pain…
Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:48 - Feb 9 with 1472 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:46 - Feb 9 by Gwyn737

I think it’s probably worth seeing the outcome of the consultation. The noises from the Rural Affairs minister seen positive on the surface.

"Do I think some of the proposals will have to be changed? Yes, of course I think that - there's no point having a consultation if you don't listen to it."

Of course, this is only necessary because of Brexit and everybody keeps telling me they knew we’d have to take some short term pain…

Regarding the last paragraph, are the issues the same in Scotland and England.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:51 - Feb 9 with 1463 viewsbuilthjack

Welsh Farmers revolt on 15:31 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

All i can say is that i have been "near the farming community" all my life.
30 years ago most came to market with battered trucks and stock trailers held together with string and wire.
Now its mostly all very new vehicles, farmhouses done up, holiday lets on most farms, solar panels on most farms, etc etc
They are in receipt of plenty of hand outs.
If farming wasnt making money they would sell up , make a few million, and live happily ever after.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:55 - Feb 9 with 1453 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:51 - Feb 9 by builthjack

30 years ago most came to market with battered trucks and stock trailers held together with string and wire.
Now its mostly all very new vehicles, farmhouses done up, holiday lets on most farms, solar panels on most farms, etc etc
If farming wasnt making money they would sell up , make a few million, and live happily ever after.

That's fair.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 17:19 - Feb 9 with 1426 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:55 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

That's fair.

But it's not fair, farmers work bloody hard, and they are getting a bad deal for the important work that they do, I know a lot people doing a far less important and arduous job that own a big house, flash car, two sun holidays a year and can still afford a winter skiing break.

Anyway, the question isn't whether farmers drive a nice vehicle or can go on holiday, it's whether it makes sense to plant trees on good farming land to save the planet, then import the food they stop producing from countries that are already far bigger polluters than us.

It might make sense to some, but certainly not to me.

Hello

Welsh Farmers revolt on 18:03 - Feb 9 with 1381 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh Farmers revolt on 17:19 - Feb 9 by Flashberryjack

But it's not fair, farmers work bloody hard, and they are getting a bad deal for the important work that they do, I know a lot people doing a far less important and arduous job that own a big house, flash car, two sun holidays a year and can still afford a winter skiing break.

Anyway, the question isn't whether farmers drive a nice vehicle or can go on holiday, it's whether it makes sense to plant trees on good farming land to save the planet, then import the food they stop producing from countries that are already far bigger polluters than us.

It might make sense to some, but certainly not to me.

Farmers have done a lot of harm to the waterways. I thought the EPA had cleaned up the river but the Wye is absolutely filthy. Problems with fertilisers, sewerage disposal and bird guano. Abusing the WAG as first point of call is predictable.

Action must be taken for trees to absorb these pollutants and reed beds etc. it is logical. Farmers need to be compensated and paid for this. They absorb the costs or the rate payers pay to subsidised them. A compromise will be required. Wales should be an environmental leader . Welsh Water Dwr Cymru is not for profit. Chicken factories should be o forced to clean up and contribute to the clean up.

The EU rules were clearly inadequate. UK must upgrade and as a water rate payer will have to cough up. There should be law that investment should be a factor rate greater than dividends at all time. At present investment have been falling and dividends rising in England. Clearly they should be linked.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Welsh Farmers revolt on 18:27 - Feb 9 with 1370 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I'm told by a neighbour who comes from a farming family that his view is that some small farms are going to struggle with the new legislation.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Farmers revolt on 18:44 - Feb 9 with 1356 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:48 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

Regarding the last paragraph, are the issues the same in Scotland and England.

I don’t know tbh about farming in general.

Where I am over the bridge, it’s a big fishing area. They’re certainly not happy. They were big shellfish exporters but that’s gone for a burton.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 20:13 - Feb 9 with 1301 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Uk exports to the EU have increased since Brexit in both volumes and cash value. Mainly due to smaller quotas given to EU trawlers and increased quotas to UK trawlers. The EU import more fish from the UK to replace their smaller quotas.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh Farmers revolt on 21:37 - Feb 9 with 1267 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:46 - Feb 9 by Gwyn737

Interesting, is all this bcause of brexit too or are other massive factors having an effect?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/02/why-are-farmers-protesting-a
Welsh Farmers revolt on 07:50 - Feb 10 with 1191 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Farmers revolt on 21:37 - Feb 9 by SullutaCreturned

Interesting, is all this bcause of brexit too or are other massive factors having an effect?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/02/why-are-farmers-protesting-a

I was on about the current Welsh protests, Cat.

I sure there’s other stuff there too mind, it in the particular instance hightlighted in the story, it’s post Brexit changes.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 08:50 - Feb 10 with 1165 viewsBryanSwan

As a country that already has to import a majority of foodstuffs it seems absolutely crazy to worsen this.

As with steel etc we once again will throw ourselves to the mercy of Europe/World. Should any conflict kick off we are going to be well and truely in a terrible state.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Welsh Farmers revolt on 09:00 - Feb 10 with 1162 viewsAnotherJohn

Things seem to be hotting up with a big meeting of farmers in Carmarthen a day or two ago. I'm trying to get my head around how different the Senedd's Sustainable Farming Scheme (out to consultation) is from developments in England.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 10:08 - Feb 10 with 1133 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:51 - Feb 9 by builthjack

Yep, never met a poor farmer.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh Farmers revolt on 10:30 - Feb 10 with 1114 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Farmers revolt on 20:13 - Feb 9 by felixstowe_jack

Uk exports to the EU have increased since Brexit in both volumes and cash value. Mainly due to smaller quotas given to EU trawlers and increased quotas to UK trawlers. The EU import more fish from the UK to replace their smaller quotas.

Brexit is a disaster for the UK.

‘Both exports and imports will be around 15 per cent lower in the long run than if the UK had remained in the EU’.

Thats jobs, opportunities, funding for public services all hit badly.

Hows the clown Boris Johnson btw ?

Welsh Farmers revolt on 10:57 - Feb 10 with 1102 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Farmers revolt on 20:13 - Feb 9 by felixstowe_jack

Everything I’ve read has shown a decrease in exports, but it is quite difficult to source up to date information. Be interesting to see the source.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 11:26 - Feb 10 with 1079 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Farmers revolt on 10:57 - Feb 10 by majorraglan

Everything I’ve read has shown a decrease in exports, but it is quite difficult to source up to date information. Be interesting to see the source.

Jacob Rees-Mogg
Welsh Farmers revolt on 11:40 - Feb 10 with 1066 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Farmers revolt on 10:57 - Feb 10 by majorraglan

I was quoting the government …. Felix probably been binge watching GBNews again, poor dab …

Welsh Farmers revolt on 12:36 - Feb 10 with 1046 viewsMrFarmer

Have you ever met a poor sparky, builder or plumber?

Majority of farmers these days have either got a job outside of farming or have diversified in some way (which costs a lot of money and is a big risk)

The main problem with the Welsh SFI is that the government havnt published any sort of financial figures that will be paid out for the environmental scheme.

This is meant to be in place to start on Jan 1st, business decisions (especially in agriculture) take years to implement , how can the governement expact farmers to join in the SFI at such short notice.

As with the 10% trees, this will devalue a land owners assets by an estimated 50% on those areas. How would anyone else react if the government told them that had to do something to their house which would take £20,000 of their house price??
Welsh Farmers revolt on 12:42 - Feb 10 with 1025 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

I don’t really know much about farming or agriculture in general but the general rule of thumb is if the Senedd thinks something is a good idea then it probably isn’t.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Welsh Farmers revolt on 12:54 - Feb 10 with 997 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh Farmers revolt on 12:42 - Feb 10 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I don’t really know much about farming or agriculture in general but the general rule of thumb is if the Senedd thinks something is a good idea then it probably isn’t.

Any sane person that thinks planting trees on land used for producing food, isn't.

Hello

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:23 - Feb 10 with 935 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Farmers revolt on 07:50 - Feb 10 by Gwyn737

I was on about the current Welsh protests, Cat.

I sure there’s other stuff there too mind, it in the particular instance hightlighted in the story, it’s post Brexit changes.

yeah but you mentioned brexit so I just wondered if brexit was causing the problems across Europe, or maybe were other things having an effect.

I think it's a fair question?

Im not sure that arable land being forced ver to planting trees is anything to do with brexit mind and when we have less crops grown because of this policy and food prices rise, will people blame the Senedd or brexit?
Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:35 - Feb 10 with 933 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:23 - Feb 10 by SullutaCreturned

yeah but you mentioned brexit so I just wondered if brexit was causing the problems across Europe, or maybe were other things having an effect.

I think it's a fair question?

Im not sure that arable land being forced ver to planting trees is anything to do with brexit mind and when we have less crops grown because of this policy and food prices rise, will people blame the Senedd or brexit?

I don’t really know, mate.

I’d imagine so, particularly after the recent introduction of checks coupled with the broken down trade deals.

As I said earlier, I can only confidently talk about the fishing industry near me, which is being decimated.
Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:51 - Feb 10 with 922 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Farmers revolt on 16:35 - Feb 10 by Gwyn737

I don’t really know, mate.

I’d imagine so, particularly after the recent introduction of checks coupled with the broken down trade deals.

As I said earlier, I can only confidently talk about the fishing industry near me, which is being decimated.

Personally I accept brexit has had bad outcomes and hope things will improve but it seems to me the cost ogf living is being kept artificially high by dodgy corporate dealinsg so they make more profits.

I know there are reasons why prices rose but while wholesale prices strated to drop, prices at the shops didnt. Then you had the Saudi's deciding to pump less oil to frce petrol prices to be higher

We're just being ripped off through a combinatin of dodgy business pratises AND bad government which is contributing to our woes whle the politicians pile their spending on their expense accounts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024