Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel Insurance Advice 12:29 - May 26 with 1569 viewsmajorraglan

I have an elderly relative in her 80’s who has a couple of underlying health issues, the relative is looking to book a holiday and needs to source travel insurance. I have obtained 1 quote which was, to be quite frank extortionate. I was wondering if anyone on here had suggestions on where I might be able to try and get a better price.
Travel Insurance Advice on 13:15 - May 26 with 1095 viewsonehunglow

We re 70s
Wife had Stage 4 cancer ten years ago.
We are with nationwide and have their insurance
It’s 13 quid extra pm for phone cover,car breakdown,holiday insurance id theft cover.
We have to pay excess and it depends on the history but ours is 150 quid but we ve been paying this every year since treatment finished
They will speak to you individually as regards condition and medication.

I’ve looked for quotes elsewhere and insurance was ,if I recall about 600 quid.
Personally I’d give them a try

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Travel Insurance Advice on 13:45 - May 26 with 1073 viewsraynor94

I'm late 60s😉 I use avanti always found them good, give them a try

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:04 - May 26 with 1047 viewsReslovenSwan1

Travel Insurance Advice on 13:45 - May 26 by raynor94

I'm late 60s😉 I use avanti always found them good, give them a try

I had a bad experience with their on line service. It was frankly part my fault for not checking but I would not use them.

I went on a price comparison website and they came out the cheapest. I was directed to the site filled it in and paid the fee.

Unbeknown to me I had not filled the age date box. I had given my dob.

A I got a paper copy and put with my passport. When the renewal came my age was given as TWO years ago ( with skiing cover.)

I rang them up as my renewal had gone down. I said there is a misprint as I am down as two. The guy on the phone told me it was correct because I did not fill the box. It auto filled to 1 by default.i was officially ONE last year and now TWO. Effectively I was not covered at all and would not be for the second year either. They did not care. Pay up to not be covered.

Stay well clear. It seemed to me some might say it was close on deliberate fraud.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:13 - May 26 with 1018 viewsonehunglow

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:04 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

I had a bad experience with their on line service. It was frankly part my fault for not checking but I would not use them.

I went on a price comparison website and they came out the cheapest. I was directed to the site filled it in and paid the fee.

A I got a paper copy and put with my passport. When the renewal came my age was given as TWO years ago ( with skiing cover.)

I rang them up as my renewal had gone down. I said there is a misprint as I am down as two. The guy on the phone told me it was correct because I did not fill the box. It auto filled to 1 by default.i was officially ONE last year and now TWO. Effectively I was not covered at all and would not be for the second year either. They did not care. Pay up to not be covered.

Stay well clear. It seemed to me some might say it was close on deliberate fraud.

It’s fair to say all insurances will look for a get out

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:15 - May 26 with 1006 viewsWhiterockin

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:13 - May 26 by onehunglow

It’s fair to say all insurances will look for a get out

Particularly if you fill in the information incorrectly and try to blame the insurance company.
Travel Insurance Advice on 14:25 - May 26 with 971 viewsYrAlarch

Try Towergate Insurance.
Travel Insurance Advice on 14:33 - May 26 with 960 viewsonehunglow

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:15 - May 26 by Whiterockin

Particularly if you fill in the information incorrectly and try to blame the insurance company.

It’s wrong really.
Having had cancer has no effect on one being injured or having a heart attack ,come to that .
Once you’ve had it,the excess stays glued to you.
It has to be disclosed though

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:15 - May 26 with 907 viewsraynor94

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:04 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

Rated Excellent on Trustpilot

Personal Finance Best Travel Insurance Award 4 years running.

I think it's you!

Login to get fewer ads

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:28 - May 26 with 891 viewsReslovenSwan1

Travel Insurance Advice on 14:15 - May 26 by Whiterockin

I did not fill in my application incorrectly. Avanti filled it in incorrectly.i gave my date of birth but the age box was not filled in. It is conventional for these sites to highlight commissions. Avanti rather than do this put in ONE for the ommision instead of directing me to the error.

On any other site I have been on compulsory completions must be filled in. I was unaware I had not filled in that section. The box was completed wrongly by Avanti.

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:30 - May 26 with 876 viewsWhiterockin

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:28 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

I did not fill in my application incorrectly. Avanti filled it in incorrectly.i gave my date of birth but the age box was not filled in. It is conventional for these sites to highlight commissions. Avanti rather than do this put in ONE for the ommision instead of directing me to the error.

On any other site I have been on compulsory completions must be filled in. I was unaware I had not filled in that section. The box was completed wrongly by Avanti.

Did you check the policy when you received it.
Travel Insurance Advice on 16:37 - May 26 with 844 viewsReslovenSwan1

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:30 - May 26 by Whiterockin

Did you check the policy when you received it.

Yes I found the renewal was completely wrong. Aged TWO with skiing cover. I binned Avanti for good. They are suspect in my eyes. The TWO was inserted BY THEM not me and they had my date of birth.

The website is not fit for purpose in my opinion.

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:39 - May 26 with 836 viewsWhiterockin

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:37 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

Yes I found the renewal was completely wrong. Aged TWO with skiing cover. I binned Avanti for good. They are suspect in my eyes. The TWO was inserted BY THEM not me and they had my date of birth.

You had 14 days to reject the policy with no penalties.
Travel Insurance Advice on 16:45 - May 26 with 813 viewsraynor94

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:28 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

You are every bit at fault, teach you to read your policy properly.

You do seem to have a problem admitting your faults

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:46 - May 26 with 807 viewsReslovenSwan1

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:39 - May 26 by Whiterockin

You had 14 days to reject the policy with no penalties.

I rejected the renewal out of hand. Buyer beware Avanti website has traps. I am bring the forum to the attention of this. I accept fault in checking the policy on the phone but not the paper copy. I missed the ommision.

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:50 - May 26 with 802 viewsWhiterockin

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:46 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

I rejected the renewal out of hand. Buyer beware Avanti website has traps. I am bring the forum to the attention of this. I accept fault in checking the policy on the phone but not the paper copy. I missed the ommision.

Was the original policy, first year OK.
Travel Insurance Advice on 16:54 - May 26 with 790 viewsraynor94

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:37 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

Yet its rated 5 stars, says more about you sorry

Travel Insurance Advice on 17:01 - May 26 with 765 viewsReslovenSwan1

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:50 - May 26 by Whiterockin

Was the original policy, first year OK.

It was incorrect. All the data I had given was correct but the age given was one on the paper copy. I missed it. My date of birth was correct. It could have been a trap for the inattentive. The paper copy arrived a week later. I accept I was at fault but the website was not fit for purpose as unfilled compulsory boxes should have not have been acceptable for completion.

Travel Insurance Advice on 17:05 - May 26 with 750 viewsWhiterockin

Travel Insurance Advice on 17:01 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

It was incorrect. All the data I had given was correct but the age given was one on the paper copy. I missed it. My date of birth was correct. It could have been a trap for the inattentive. The paper copy arrived a week later. I accept I was at fault but the website was not fit for purpose as unfilled compulsory boxes should have not have been acceptable for completion.

So you didn't check the original policy when you received it and correct it within 14 days.
Travel Insurance Advice on 17:34 - May 26 with 707 viewsBoundy

Due to my underlying condition I found this company reasonably priced with good reviews. Like all insurance companies you never know how good or fair they are until you have to make a claim .

https://www.totaltravelprotection.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&ut

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Travel Insurance Advice on 19:26 - May 26 with 662 viewsReslovenSwan1

Travel Insurance Advice on 16:45 - May 26 by raynor94

You are every bit at fault, teach you to read your policy properly.

You do seem to have a problem admitting your faults

I told you in my first post I was partly to blame. Someone recommended this firm and I took the trouble to identify its shortcomings and its defective website to the forum.

I checked only the website page and not the following paperwork. These days people do not even get paperwork. Much of it is on the phone as well. We live in a fast moving world based in part on trust. (Others like Trust pilot does this work for us). The renwal came in a paper form and the error was more visible.

When I saw age 1 it could be construed as a code number. For example class 1. Age 50-65. I was brought up in an age where typos existed.

I learned that extreme care is needed with online insurance quotes especially Avanti. Their website was not fit for purpose as mandatory boxes allow you to complete the transaction without completion. Age given should tally with date of birth for one thing.

The website is poorly designed. I suspect the T&C might also be questionable. Like someone said they are only as good as their performance when claims are made.

Travel Insurance Advice on 19:40 - May 26 with 633 viewsraynor94

Travel Insurance Advice on 19:26 - May 26 by ReslovenSwan1

I told you in my first post I was partly to blame. Someone recommended this firm and I took the trouble to identify its shortcomings and its defective website to the forum.

I checked only the website page and not the following paperwork. These days people do not even get paperwork. Much of it is on the phone as well. We live in a fast moving world based in part on trust. (Others like Trust pilot does this work for us). The renwal came in a paper form and the error was more visible.

When I saw age 1 it could be construed as a code number. For example class 1. Age 50-65. I was brought up in an age where typos existed.

I learned that extreme care is needed with online insurance quotes especially Avanti. Their website was not fit for purpose as mandatory boxes allow you to complete the transaction without completion. Age given should tally with date of birth for one thing.

The website is poorly designed. I suspect the T&C might also be questionable. Like someone said they are only as good as their performance when claims are made.

5* on trust pilot, enough said

Travel Insurance Advice on 21:01 - May 26 with 589 viewsmajorraglan

Thanks all, I’ll have a good look at your suggestions over the next few days.
Travel Insurance Advice on 21:12 - May 26 with 574 viewsReslovenSwan1

Travel Insurance Advice on 19:40 - May 26 by raynor94

5* on trust pilot, enough said

Enough for you not me. They are a bit slack. Personal experience is my guide and overrules anything else.

Travel Insurance Advice on 09:41 - May 27 with 490 viewsAnotherJohn

Travel Insurance Advice on 21:01 - May 26 by majorraglan

Thanks all, I’ll have a good look at your suggestions over the next few days.

Just to add a note to what somebody said earlier about Nationwide travel insurance, provided with the Flexplus account, it is worth noting that the underwriting company has changed from UK Insurance to Aviva. This means certain changes in T and Cs, including as far as I can see a relaxation of the upper age limit. On the other hand, add-ons, such as for over 70 years old and extra charges for pre-existing conditions seem to cost a little more. One downside is that if you extend your holiday length from 31 days to say 42 days, this extension only lasts for one trip rather than the whole year (i.e. your following trip is back to 31 days cover).
Travel Insurance Advice on 09:57 - May 27 with 485 viewsonehunglow

Travel Insurance Advice on 09:41 - May 27 by AnotherJohn

Just to add a note to what somebody said earlier about Nationwide travel insurance, provided with the Flexplus account, it is worth noting that the underwriting company has changed from UK Insurance to Aviva. This means certain changes in T and Cs, including as far as I can see a relaxation of the upper age limit. On the other hand, add-ons, such as for over 70 years old and extra charges for pre-existing conditions seem to cost a little more. One downside is that if you extend your holiday length from 31 days to say 42 days, this extension only lasts for one trip rather than the whole year (i.e. your following trip is back to 31 days cover).

Thanks John
I recall we had an email stating this but forgot it .
It changed on May 1st
Still good deal though
Top posting ,matey.
[Post edited 27 May 10:04]

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024