Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Site Issues 23:27 - Aug 7 with 36780 viewsPhil_S

Replacing the questions issue with this one. Have been away for a few days so could do with a summary of what issues people are still having with the site and I'll get back on what I can get changed.

Please try not to repeat issues already reported in the thread.
Site Issues on 00:36 - Aug 8 with 9847 viewsSwansNZ

I’ve taken the requests/issues from the previous thread, and posted below — it would be good if you could copy this into your opening post, so people don’t report the same issues over and over. If you then edit your original post to show the status of each request/issue (reported, being worked on, unable to resolve etc). As the original post appears at the top of every page, it "should" cut down on the repeated reports/requests

requests/issues from the previous thread…

Inability to see if a thread has new posts since you last read it.
Inability to continue a thread from the point where you last read it.
No indicator to show if you have made a post to a thread.

Inability to quote the original post.
Inability to quote part of a post.
Quoted posts change if the original post you quoted is edited.
Inability to highlight text (bold, colour, size) in your post or a quoted post
Inability to preview post, before posting.

View “active topics”
After posting — it should return you to your post, not the Forum Index
No link to current board, so you have to go back to the Forum Index

Display post count for posters
Avatars/Names would be better placed on the left-hand side of post.
“Add to topic” & “Reply with to this post” buttons are not consistent, and could be misleading.
Can we get some extra smileys — Swan, Good Post, Wales (and other) flags etc

Search function not working (takes you to Forum Index)
Remove member from ignored list not working

Site headings not clear and they do not stand out from background (Liberty picture).

Will there be a mobile version of this site?

Will the old site be made available here, in read-only mode?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Site Issues on 01:14 - Aug 8 with 9829 viewsPJ_footballer

mannaging photo to upload directly from the computer might help a lot.
Site Issues on 06:40 - Aug 8 with 9768 viewsApeShit

There's more adverts on here than the QVC channel!!
Site Issues on 06:42 - Aug 8 with 9762 viewsApeShit

Site Issues on 00:36 - Aug 8 by SwansNZ

I’ve taken the requests/issues from the previous thread, and posted below — it would be good if you could copy this into your opening post, so people don’t report the same issues over and over. If you then edit your original post to show the status of each request/issue (reported, being worked on, unable to resolve etc). As the original post appears at the top of every page, it "should" cut down on the repeated reports/requests

View “active topics”

“Add to topic” & “Reply with to this post” buttons are not consistent, and could be misleading.

Site headings not clear and they do not stand out from background (Liberty picture).

Got to agree with the background.

If you are going to use a photograph as a background make sure its a decent one, its blurred and the colours look saturated.

Don't get me started on the 1990s graphic design of the logo! :)
Site Issues on 06:47 - Aug 8 with 9759 viewshooplehead

Site Issues on 06:40 - Aug 8 by ApeShit

^^

install adblock plus for whatever browser you are using and you will never see an interwebs advert again

boggles my mind that there are still people trying to use the internet without it

takes 10 seconds to install
Site Issues on 08:03 - Aug 8 with 9728 viewsmikl0s

Well I had it intentionally disabled on the old site because I was supporting the site and the forum was quality - now it's being blocked as the ads are too many/too intrusive and it's a fight just to use the current layout.

If Bony and Michu start to gel.....oh my

Site Issues on 08:09 - Aug 8 with 9720 viewsorion3016

View “active topics”

Good summary nz

Be over there now after

Site Issues on 08:52 - Aug 8 with 9685 viewsswanny

I'd like the link to other teams forums back that we used to have. Thankyou Please

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Login to get fewer ads

Site Issues on 08:54 - Aug 8 with 9683 viewsSupport

Site Issues on 06:40 - Aug 8 by ApeShit

There are fewer adverts on here than there were on the old forum, probably by about half. We have a policy of not using popups, or loud ads.

Poll: Does my bum look big in this?

Site Issues on 09:40 - Aug 8 with 9647 viewsSupport

View “active topics”

Lots to cover here!

Let me give you all a bit of background. I developed this forum from scratch to enable people to use the old fashioned threaded board OR the topic board you're more used to, but only one category. Then, after a period of time we introduced filters which allowed you to view several categories on one page, or filter just the category you wanted. That worked really well.

Planet Swans were really keen to join the network but Phil wanted to be able to make the forum much more familiar so wanted it tweaked. I created this new summary page which you're used to, but as a result it messed up the normal navigation that worked before. A period of testing didn't really highlight this.

So, what we have now is a forum that is trying to be all things to all people. We have 4 viewing modes, 2 threaded, 2 topic modes, the ability to filter our threads, or using this summary page that you're used to.

Can I just say that by using an off the shelf forum like the one you're used to wouldn't work in our case for loads of reasons. The main ones being that those forums are system hungry, and won't integrate with the rest of the site. We're not just talking about one club, we want to replicate what we've done for 92 clubs, then other sports and interests. Running 200+ sites on those off the shelf forums would be a nightmare.

I accept that the navigation is poor currently, and I'll sort that. I've just been fixing more general bugs that is affecting everybody on the network.

Q1) Inability to see if a thread has new posts since you last read it:
A) It should change colour once it's been read. When new ones gets added it goes back to being unread.

Q2) Continue a thread from the last point you read it
A) This takes a lot of system resources. In theory, it needs to remember the point you've read every thread. Multiply that by 20,000 threads and 20,000 users and that's a lot of data. However, once the bugs have been sorted I will look at doing this and seeing what impact it has on the system.

Q3) No indicator to show if you've made a post to a thread.
A) Yes I can do this, and give you a list of the threads you've posted to.

Q4) Inability to quote the original post.
A) This has never cropped up before. The original post is displayed on every page at the top and each post added is presumed to be about the original post unless you've replied to another one.

Q5) Inability to quote part of a post.
A) This system allows you to quote and reply to a post. If you were able to quote a post but change all that text, it's not really a quote then and you'd be able to completely change the meaning. Why not just copy and paste the bit you want?

Q6) Quoted posts change if the original post you quoted is edited.
A) Yes, and it mentions the time that the post was edited to avoid confusion. If it doesn't mention this in the quote box, then it should and I'll change it.

Q7) Inability to highlight text (bold, colour, size) in your post or a quoted post
A) That too has never come up, but changing the colour or size of the text would make it ugly I'd think and could really be misused. I'd be happy to make some changes if people thought it necessary, but this system is very simple and clean. Having text in yellow, or white, or tiny or massive fonts would be a distraction from what is important, the text itself.

Q8) Inability to preview post, before posting.
A) True. If the system worked properly it should take you to the message you've just added. If it didn't work as you wanted then you could click edit. But I'm happy to put this on the to-do list.

Q9) View “active topics”
A) I don't know what this actually means so I'm awaiting a technical description. Is it just a list of all topics in date updated order, or is it ones that have a certain number of replies? I'm happy to do this, if someone can describe it to me.

Q10) After posting — it should return you to your post, not the Forum Index
A) 100% agreed, see my waffle above

Q11) No link to current board, so you have to go back to the Forum Index

Q12) Display post count for posters
A) On the other forums on this site, you're able to see your own post count, which I removed on this site because it wouldn't work with your split category screen. I will look at adding that back though. If you're talking about post counts of others, then this was a deliberate decision to stop bullying on some forums. People were pre-judged because if they were new, they'd not be made welcome, or people thought they were multi-user account members. I have to say as an experiment it was very successful.

Q13) Avatars/Names would be better placed on the left-hand side of post.
A) I think this is something you get used to. In my opinion, the post itself is the key thing and secondary is who wrote it. I do think you'll get used to it. Maybe it's something I can make optional. I'm quite keen for you to be able to customise the board the way you like it.

Q14) “Add to topic” & “Reply with to this post” buttons are not consistent, and could be misleading.
A) Add to topic and reply to post, I guess you're right although the icons themselves are quite clear and it's only the hover text you want to change? The icon to reply to with quote is quotation marks, but I quess the text could be more consistant.

Q15) Can we get some extra smileys — Swan, Good Post, Wales (and other) flags etc
A) Sure, but if they're to be official smileys they need to be in the same style as the ones we have.

Q16) Search function not working (takes you to Forum Index)
A) Really? I wasn't aware of that. Yep I'll fix.

Q17) Remove member from ignored list not working
A) It wasn't working but I fixed that last week I think.

Q18) Site headings not clear and they do not stand out from background (Liberty picture).
A) The menu itself? I'll talk to Phil about that.

Q19) Will there be a mobile version of this site?
A) Absolutely.

Q20) Will the old site be made available here, in read-only mode?
A) Not here, but I believe Phil will be keeping it somewhere.

Blimey, that's taken ages to reply to. Please bear with us and I'll look at making this forum the best I can for you. I've had some system-wide bugs to deal with first, but then I'll work through the points here and make it a place you enjoy coming to. We're much more than a forum though. Our whole ethos is about making this the best football site it can be.

Poll: Does my bum look big in this?

Site Issues on 12:41 - Aug 8 with 9535 viewsmaes

Site Issues on 09:40 - Aug 8 by Support

Lots to cover here!

Let me give you all a bit of background. I developed this forum from scratch to enable people to use the old fashioned threaded board OR the topic board you're more used to, but only one category. Then, after a period of time we introduced filters which allowed you to view several categories on one page, or filter just the category you wanted. That worked really well.

Planet Swans were really keen to join the network but Phil wanted to be able to make the forum much more familiar so wanted it tweaked. I created this new summary page which you're used to, but as a result it messed up the normal navigation that worked before. A period of testing didn't really highlight this.

So, what we have now is a forum that is trying to be all things to all people. We have 4 viewing modes, 2 threaded, 2 topic modes, the ability to filter our threads, or using this summary page that you're used to.

Can I just say that by using an off the shelf forum like the one you're used to wouldn't work in our case for loads of reasons. The main ones being that those forums are system hungry, and won't integrate with the rest of the site. We're not just talking about one club, we want to replicate what we've done for 92 clubs, then other sports and interests. Running 200+ sites on those off the shelf forums would be a nightmare.

I accept that the navigation is poor currently, and I'll sort that. I've just been fixing more general bugs that is affecting everybody on the network.

A) It should change colour once it's been read. When new ones gets added it goes back to being unread.

A) This takes a lot of system resources. In theory, it needs to remember the point you've read every thread. Multiply that by 20,000 threads and 20,000 users and that's a lot of data. However, once the bugs have been sorted I will look at doing this and seeing what impact it has on the system.

Q3) No indicator to show if you've made a post to a thread.
A) Yes I can do this, and give you a list of the threads you've posted to.

Q4) Inability to quote the original post.
A) This has never cropped up before. The original post is displayed on every page at the top and each post added is presumed to be about the original post unless you've replied to another one.

Q5) Inability to quote part of a post.
A) This system allows you to quote and reply to a post. If you were able to quote a post but change all that text, it's not really a quote then and you'd be able to completely change the meaning. Why not just copy and paste the bit you want?

Q6) Quoted posts change if the original post you quoted is edited.
A) Yes, and it mentions the time that the post was edited to avoid confusion. If it doesn't mention this in the quote box, then it should and I'll change it.

Q7) Inability to highlight text (bold, colour, size) in your post or a quoted post
A) That too has never come up, but changing the colour or size of the text would make it ugly I'd think and could really be misused. I'd be happy to make some changes if people thought it necessary, but this system is very simple and clean. Having text in yellow, or white, or tiny or massive fonts would be a distraction from what is important, the text itself.

Q8) Inability to preview post, before posting.
A) True. If the system worked properly it should take you to the message you've just added. If it didn't work as you wanted then you could click edit. But I'm happy to put this on the to-do list.

Q9) View “active topics”
A) I don't know what this actually means so I'm awaiting a technical description. Is it just a list of all topics in date updated order, or is it ones that have a certain number of replies? I'm happy to do this, if someone can describe it to me.

Q10) After posting — it should return you to your post, not the Forum Index

Q11) No link to current board, so you have to go back to the Forum Index

Q12) Display post count for posters
A) On the other forums on this site, you're able to see your own post count, which I removed on this site because it wouldn't work with your split category screen. I will look at adding that back though. If you're talking about post counts of others, then this was a deliberate decision to stop bullying on some forums. People were pre-judged because if they were new, they'd not be made welcome, or people thought they were multi-user account members. I have to say as an experiment it was very successful.

Q13) Avatars/Names would be better placed on the left-hand side of post.
A) I think this is something you get used to. In my opinion, the post itself is the key thing and secondary is who wrote it. I do think you'll get used to it. Maybe it's something I can make optional. I'm quite keen for you to be able to customise the board the way you like it.

Q14) “Add to topic” & “Reply with to this post” buttons are not consistent, and could be misleading.
A) Add to topic and reply to post, I guess you're right although the icons themselves are quite clear and it's only the hover text you want to change? The icon to reply to with quote is quotation marks, but I quess the text could be more consistant.

Q15) Can we get some extra smileys — Swan, Good Post, Wales (and other) flags etc
A) Sure, but if they're to be official smileys they need to be in the same style as the ones we have.

Q16) Search function not working (takes you to Forum Index)
A) Really? I wasn't aware of that. Yep I'll fix.

Q17) Remove member from ignored list not working
A) It wasn't working but I fixed that last week I think.

Q18) Site headings not clear and they do not stand out from background (Liberty picture).
A) The menu itself? I'll talk to Phil about that.

Q19) Will there be a mobile version of this site?
A) Absolutely.

Q20) Will the old site be made available here, in read-only mode?
A) Not here, but I believe Phil will be keeping it somewhere.

Blimey, that's taken ages to reply to. Please bear with us and I'll look at making this forum the best I can for you. I've had some system-wide bugs to deal with first, but then I'll work through the points here and make it a place you enjoy coming to. We're much more than a forum though. Our whole ethos is about making this the best football site it can be.

The reason we want the ability to quote part of a post, and highlight/change colour of part of the post is so it is possible to highlight, and reply to certain points of a post, or reply to several points or questions posed from someone's post.

Ironically like your post where you are replying to a list of questions/points, rather than being able to highlight and answer the questions as quotes you were forced to copy and paste the whole quote and insert text under each question, then answer it.

The forum should have the possibility to do this by a quote you can edit and highlight IMO, we were able to do this on our previous forum. It is a better way to reply to posts when quoting and your own post in reply to the problems is an example of when it is a necessary feature, with all due respect.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2013 12:44]
Site Issues on 13:32 - Aug 8 with 9484 viewsItchySphincter

"Q12) Display post count for posters
A) On the other forums on this site, you're able to see your own post count, which I removed on this site because it wouldn't work with your split category screen. I will look at adding that back though. If you're talking about post counts of others, then this was a deliberate decision to stop bullying on some forums. People were pre-judged because if they were new, they'd not be made welcome, or people thought they were multi-user account members. I have to say as an experiment it was very successful."

that's fvcked it for the nasty bullies. Do not under any circumstances bring back post count as all it is good for are the negatives you outline above. Widely used on Planet Swans along with season tickets and gold Premier League badges as sticks to beat new posters with.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Site Issues on 16:37 - Aug 8 with 9394 viewsraynor94

Site Issues on 13:32 - Aug 8 by ItchySphincter

"Q12) Display post count for posters
A) On the other forums on this site, you're able to see your own post count, which I removed on this site because it wouldn't work with your split category screen. I will look at adding that back though. If you're talking about post counts of others, then this was a deliberate decision to stop bullying on some forums. People were pre-judged because if they were new, they'd not be made welcome, or people thought they were multi-user account members. I have to say as an experiment it was very successful."

that's fvcked it for the nasty bullies. Do not under any circumstances bring back post count as all it is good for are the negatives you outline above. Widely used on Planet Swans along with season tickets and gold Premier League badges as sticks to beat new posters with.

Penis enlargement kits are available online

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Site Issues on 16:38 - Aug 8 with 9392 viewsexiledclaseboy

Essentially I think we all need to accept that this forum doesn't have the functionality of the old one and isn't as good. But it's the only one we're getting so probably just need to make the best of it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Tory leader

Site Issues on 16:44 - Aug 8 with 9389 viewsraynor94

Site Issues on 16:38 - Aug 8 by exiledclaseboy

Essentially I think we all need to accept that this forum doesn't have the functionality of the old one and isn't as good. But it's the only one we're getting so probably just need to make the best of it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Well said

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Site Issues on 18:10 - Aug 8 with 9349 viewsjackb

Main issue that makes it less usable for me is not being able to go to see all new posts and not be able to go to last unread post in a thread. Just makes it more hard work than necessary to keep up with the board.

Seems a comonplace and commion sense functional requirement for a forum imho, without it - just not usable.

But if this is what we have then we have to put up with it but so far I don't see the site as an improvement. But then it's free so will keep calm and carry on for now :)
Site Issues on 18:37 - Aug 8 with 9335 viewsItchySphincter

Site Issues on 16:37 - Aug 8 by raynor94

Penis enlargement kits are available online

Let us know how you get on with yours.

Site Issues on 22:01 - Aug 8 with 9266 viewsarfurjob

Why on earth would anyone "need" to see someones post count?
Site Issues on 22:16 - Aug 8 with 9246 viewsSwansNZ

Site Issues on 22:01 - Aug 8 by arfurjob

Because they are insecure, maybe?

Site Issues on 22:19 - Aug 8 with 9248 viewsJokeren1943

maybe to check if he/she is a newbie.
Site Issues on 22:24 - Aug 8 with 9239 viewsJokeren1943

1. Would be nice to make the present background optional.
2. Use the font "verdana" instead. More nice to look at (when you read)
Site Issues on 22:30 - Aug 8 with 9226 viewsSwansNZ

Thanks for the update Support.

On the whole, I have no problems with this site, but the following 2 would be at the top of my list to fix (others maybe have different opinions)…

… So, this is not working now, and will be fixed?

… I feel this is a fundamental function of a forum. Without this, it’s putting the onus on the member to remember what page and at what post they were for every thread — which is impossible. All forums I know (not very many, I admit), have this function and some of those will have many ,000s of users too.

Site Issues on 22:34 - Aug 8 with 9217 viewsItchySphincter

Site Issues on 22:01 - Aug 8 by arfurjob

egggggggssachly!

Site Issues on 00:25 - Aug 9 with 9172 viewsIce_Tea

Site Issues on 22:34 - Aug 8 by ItchySphincter

egggggggssachly!

Well its been there since Phil was in short trousers, so why is it beyond the 2013 technology to have a posts count on here now. So many features have gone, one I'd like to use now is to look at posts on this thread when I'm posting a reply, but I can't.

To be perfectly honest this fans network board is crap, and IMO, a backward step. Just give us back all the facilities we used to have, or has the technology suffered a time slip and what we want has to be re-invented? The saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", NOT if it ain't broke, beak it! (NO ITALICS & NO BOLD)

OK, so sometimes you had to refresh to get a web page to open, but we've lost to much, and the site has been sold to the highest bidder.

Now, I'd like to preview my post. Huh, that's a bloody joke.

C'mon sort it.
Site Issues on 00:27 - Aug 9 with 9169 viewsIce_Tea

Site Issues on 00:25 - Aug 9 by Ice_Tea

Well its been there since Phil was in short trousers, so why is it beyond the 2013 technology to have a posts count on here now. So many features have gone, one I'd like to use now is to look at posts on this thread when I'm posting a reply, but I can't.

To be perfectly honest this fans network board is crap, and IMO, a backward step. Just give us back all the facilities we used to have, or has the technology suffered a time slip and what we want has to be re-invented? The saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", NOT if it ain't broke, beak it! (NO ITALICS & NO BOLD)

OK, so sometimes you had to refresh to get a web page to open, but we've lost to much, and the site has been sold to the highest bidder.

Now, I'd like to preview my post. Huh, that's a bloody joke.

C'mon sort it.

And I didn't get re-directed to my post, and I can't edit it.

It just gets worse.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024