Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planning a road trip through France 15:41 - Aug 25 with 3549 viewsJesusJack

Something I've thought about doing for a while. Was going to drive straight to Monaco and back a couple of years ago but it didn't come about. I've expanded on the idea now and hopefully will do it next year with the missus.

Anybody here done anything similar? What's it like driving in a different country? Anything I should watch out for or be aware of?

Here's my planned route so far. Suggestions on other places to see or visit are welcome also thoughts on whether or not this is feasible in 2 weeks;
Hastings
Rouen
Paris
Ouradour-sur-Glane
Bordeaux
Pau
Rennes-le-Chateaux
Nice
Monaco
Turin
Montreux
Reims
Dover

Poll: What was your expectation for this season?

Planning a road trip through France on 17:00 - Aug 25 with 3529 views1983

Carcasonne is a worth a visit

Planning a road trip through France on 18:33 - Aug 25 with 3492 viewsGeoffThom

If your going all that way take plenty of toll money it's not cheap
Planning a road trip through France on 19:18 - Aug 25 with 3483 viewsBanosswan

Domme and La Roque Gageac in the Dordogne valley.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Planning a road trip through France on 20:27 - Aug 25 with 3464 viewsfreewheeling

I used to drive to Spain quite regularly in the 80’s and one time in France purely by accident I followed one of their tourist sign posts which take you along the less travelled roads. I found that these roads invariably added quite some time to the journey but proved quite interesting. Something like finding yourself on the B roads going to Cardigan instead of main roads or motorways. Eventually I would choose one of these tourist roads at random and found I quite enjoyed them. Biarritz is well worth a visit especially for the surf.
If you’ve never driven on the wrong ( Right hand ) side of the road it’ll take a little getting used to, just take your time and pay attention. You’ll soon get used to it. Also there are random spot checks by police especially about 20klm after border crossings. Don’t expect to get “British” style food on the road, cheese sandwiches will not come with Cheddar cheese etc. I tried Ostrich steak for the first time in a road side café and found it quite delicious. Probably wouldn’t have gone for it in UK. Be willing to try and do things you wouldn’t usually go for and you’ll find you enjoy things you maybe didn’t realise that you would enjoy. Absolutely loads of beautiful areas to see. Enjoy.
Planning a road trip through France on 20:46 - Aug 25 with 3455 viewsmalagajack

have driven thru france many times back to uk , also to visit family who live there, are you camping or staying in hotels? there are many great places to stay/visit depending on what you are after. remember that petrol stations are usually closed on sundays and those that are open often only take french credit cards, so keep topped up! if in a camper there are many free places to stay in nearly every town/village. try to stay off the toll roads unless you are in a hurry, there's more to see on the route nacional and its free. also you now need to have 2 breathalizer test kits in your vehicle these are available at big supermarkets like L'Eclerc dont buy them on your crossing they will be overpriced, dont forget triangles too. if you are into the vin take some 5ltr containers with you so you can fill up cheap at any vinicole. some of the valleys south of pau are v.scenic, there are so many interesting places too many to mention. i'm sure you;ll have a great trip. will add to this when i think of anything else otherwise - bon voyage
Planning a road trip through France on 20:51 - Aug 25 with 3453 viewsmalagajack

just reread your op seems the overall distance is a bit ambitious, will spend most of your time travelling - i would suggest cutting back a bit to spend more time enjoying france rather than getting from place to place, from your itiinery looks like you will spend more time on the road then relaxing/drinking wine/eating great cheese and bread enjoying the scenery, but its your trip, sante!
Planning a road trip through France on 21:20 - Aug 25 with 3447 viewsfreewheeling

Planning a road trip through France on 20:51 - Aug 25 by malagajack

just reread your op seems the overall distance is a bit ambitious, will spend most of your time travelling - i would suggest cutting back a bit to spend more time enjoying france rather than getting from place to place, from your itiinery looks like you will spend more time on the road then relaxing/drinking wine/eating great cheese and bread enjoying the scenery, but its your trip, sante!

I was going to say the same thing, better to spend more time enjoying the scenery than the motorways which can be quite congested in summer months.
Planning a road trip through France on 10:03 - Aug 26 with 3403 viewstoulouse

The French are generally good drivers, but roundabouts are a mystery to them (which lane to be in, indicating, etc).

Cars with "75" on their number plate are Parisians, therefore road "laws" are merely suggestions, avoid them.

Petrol off motorways is considerably cheaper than from services on there, use RN roads instead of autoroutes if you can. However, try to incorporate the A75 in Millau. The area, and the viaduct are stunning.

The dates on which you are planning to travel is very important to know, as the French school holidays are staggered into 3 sections, 100% avoid travelling on the main tourist routes on these days (first day and last days of the holidays I mean).
[Post edited 26 Aug 2013 16:26]

I f*cking love Copenhagen.

Login to get fewer ads

Planning a road trip through France on 16:24 - Aug 26 with 3382 viewsTreforys_Jack

Don't underestimate the sheer size of France, its bloody massive. As someone said earlier take time out to enjoy it rather than just driving from 1 destination to another. A pleasure to drive over there also, apart from roundabouts as Toulouse said. Also you need to adapt their mentality, don't worry about cutting anyone up or pulling out in front of anyone, whereas in this country it would result in severe road rage, the French are really not bothered.
I've driven to Nice and Monte Carlo a few times, usually straight down to Marseille then along the coast, stopping about halfway around Dijon, but the most enjoyable route was down to Dijon before turning off to Grenoble and over the Alps and emerging about 4 hrs later in Grasse, breathtaking and terrifying !!!!!!
Make sure you got all the gear, spare bulbs, headlight deflectors, red triangle etc

Good luck
Planning a road trip through France on 16:29 - Aug 26 with 3369 viewstoulouse

"Also you need to adapt their mentality, don't worry about cutting anyone up or pulling out in front of anyone, whereas in this country it would result in severe road rage, the French are really not bothered."

Yep, basically you can be 1cm from ramming them after they pull out (especially on roundabouts), but if they don't look into the rearview mirror *you're not really there*

I f*cking love Copenhagen.

Planning a road trip through France on 22:07 - Aug 26 with 3317 viewsmalagajack

"rough guide to france" is a decent read tells you when to go to certain areas/weather etc
also most of your destinations seem to be big towns/cities - dont forget rural france - more relaxing driving and plenty of hidden gems - bon voyage
Planning a road trip through France on 22:14 - Aug 26 with 3311 viewsLord_Bony

In my student days a gang of us did Calais,Amsterdam,cologne,Monte Carlo,Niece,Geneva,Turin,St Tropez,Montpellier,Toulouse,Bordeaux ,Paris,Calais,Dover.

It think that s the right order,it was all a bit hazy...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024