Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
from ambition to graveyard 11:35 - Sep 13 with 3707 viewsIce_Tea

A story about the planet swans forum.

The number of contributions has dropped dramatically. The last post on the front page was on the tenth of September.

This forum is dead.

R.I.P.

This post has been edited by an administrator
from ambition to graveyard on 11:49 - Sep 13 with 3677 viewsmaes

I'm surprised a mod hasn't deleted this thread yet. They usually do when people post stuff like this.
from ambition to graveyard on 12:13 - Sep 13 with 3637 viewsSpratty

So much stark black and white plus poor layout lead to a bland and depressing experience.

Yes it works but so do those tiny black and white TVs that you have to get up to change channels - just virtually no one would choose to use them today.
from ambition to graveyard on 12:40 - Sep 13 with 3600 viewsDarran

Firstly I agree the forum is a bit quiet.
Secondly the home page is not the forum.
Thirdly and most importantly I can't understand how the f*ck people who rarely post on a forum can complain about a forum being quiet.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

from ambition to graveyard on 13:35 - Sep 13 with 3534 viewsPhil_S

Interestingly I was matching up against the old forum stats earlier and they are very similar to the international break this time last year

The forum always is quieter when we arent playing and page views around down about 30% on same time last month which is the norm.

The changes have been well received since they were loaded in at the start of the month and I suspect with us returning to action the posts and views will go back up as will the stories.

Reports of the demise of Planet Swans are again premature as they have been every time it has been written for the past 6 years
from ambition to graveyard on 13:40 - Sep 13 with 3525 viewsDarran

from ambition to graveyard on 13:35 - Sep 13 by Phil_S

Interestingly I was matching up against the old forum stats earlier and they are very similar to the international break this time last year

The forum always is quieter when we arent playing and page views around down about 30% on same time last month which is the norm.

The changes have been well received since they were loaded in at the start of the month and I suspect with us returning to action the posts and views will go back up as will the stories.

Reports of the demise of Planet Swans are again premature as they have been every time it has been written for the past 6 years

It does help if people post too.

from ambition to graveyard on 13:56 - Sep 13 with 3506 viewsSpratty

Page views is very much subjective depending on system navigation, posting profile and other things being accessed that may not be applicable to the old system. e.g on a busy system can view a page once to see 6 replies on a dead one this would take 6 page views.

Do we have comparative postings figures. Obviously the many posts relating to the problems / dissatisfaction with the new system should not be included as it would be perverse to use these to point to its success.

I don't think the impact of the poor layout and harsh appearance should be overlooked. This is very important to professionally developed systems for a reason.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2013 13:57]
from ambition to graveyard on 14:12 - Sep 13 with 3487 viewsPhil_S

from ambition to graveyard on 13:56 - Sep 13 by Spratty

Page views is very much subjective depending on system navigation, posting profile and other things being accessed that may not be applicable to the old system. e.g on a busy system can view a page once to see 6 replies on a dead one this would take 6 page views.

Do we have comparative postings figures. Obviously the many posts relating to the problems / dissatisfaction with the new system should not be included as it would be perverse to use these to point to its success.

I don't think the impact of the poor layout and harsh appearance should be overlooked. This is very important to professionally developed systems for a reason.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2013 13:57]

Yes and of course the other factor is that on the old forum we had 16 replies to a page and 16 topics to a page - this one is 25 (I think)

In terms of post counts the old planet Swans received around 700 posts per day for the last 12 months, this is around 500 since launch (considerably less in the international break but short of counting posts in the two weeks of the international break this time last year I dont have a direct comparison to give you but it was always substantially quieter on page views so I would assume post counts dropped in relation)

Similarly the page views on the old system were not helped by the endless pages that hung or timed out that did actually register a page view even without a full load.

Many of the problems people highlighted have now been fixed and there are more being worked on behind the scenes so we have moved on considerably and whilst it may never have the feel of an off the shelf version, we are registering many new members per day and people are visiting and reading.

As with everything the site evolves continually hence why I am sure you are still here posting despite clearly not being keen on the layout because you can see that things are being listened to but they never change overnight.

Back to work now I'm afraid...
from ambition to graveyard on 14:28 - Sep 13 with 3475 viewsSpratty

Thanks for the reply Phil.

Some posters are easier to shake off than others but it is brilliant to be able to attract a wide and diverse group of contributors. All comments made in a positive way and perhaps I just assume it goes without saying that all the work and concern you put into providing this forum in the first place is very much appreciated.
Login to get fewer ads

from ambition to graveyard on 01:58 - Sep 14 with 3348 viewsDJack

I've been floating around like an unloved turd since the JA Net days and others have done so for longer. People don't like "radical" change, we whinge and stay or we whinge and move on. Those that move on are soon replaced by new faces who are, at first, hesitant but then join in. Those of us that stay get used to it (and sometimes get the benefits of the updates).

Think of it like the Swans under Sousa... many left as they were bored by our football and/or they didn't like such a radical change. New fans took their place (slowly) as they liked the fact that we were hard to beat and subsequently accumulated the points.

Yes, Phil probably makes some/ a chunk of money from the site (under whichever iteration you wish to highlight) but I believe he has invested a lot of his own time to help spread the word that is the "brotherhood of the Swans". Just look at some of our Danish posters, most are impressed by their grasp of written English and miss the fact that amongst the post are some erudite and perceptive thoughts/comments.

Feel the love.

STID

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

from ambition to graveyard on 11:47 - Sep 14 with 3285 viewsDaiBachJack

I don't post because I get Writer's Bl.... what's the name of it.

Jac Am Byth

from ambition to graveyard on 11:54 - Sep 14 with 3271 viewsDarran

from ambition to graveyard on 01:58 - Sep 14 by DJack

I've been floating around like an unloved turd since the JA Net days and others have done so for longer. People don't like "radical" change, we whinge and stay or we whinge and move on. Those that move on are soon replaced by new faces who are, at first, hesitant but then join in. Those of us that stay get used to it (and sometimes get the benefits of the updates).

Think of it like the Swans under Sousa... many left as they were bored by our football and/or they didn't like such a radical change. New fans took their place (slowly) as they liked the fact that we were hard to beat and subsequently accumulated the points.

Yes, Phil probably makes some/ a chunk of money from the site (under whichever iteration you wish to highlight) but I believe he has invested a lot of his own time to help spread the word that is the "brotherhood of the Swans". Just look at some of our Danish posters, most are impressed by their grasp of written English and miss the fact that amongst the post are some erudite and perceptive thoughts/comments.

Feel the love.

STID

By the time Phil pays the mods he doesn't make a lot.

from ambition to graveyard on 13:42 - Sep 14 with 3234 viewsSpratty

from ambition to graveyard on 01:58 - Sep 14 by DJack

Feel the love.

STID

I agree that the effects of change on individuals is a complex issue. The management of that change needs handling carefully to keep people on board (regardless of the quality of whatever replaces what already existed).

It is however important to differentiate between resistance to change and valid points about the appearance, navigability and functionality of a system that in fundamental areas by any objective measure not only compares less favourably to what existed before but in many respects falls well short of current good design standards which can be easily observed on many similar websites. Whilst improvements have been made to the functionality, the stark old fashioned appearance and poor presentation is a concern because this is putting off contributors and many have said so. I know however Phil is looking to improve this and it is not possible to do everything at once.

With the Danish posters whilst the excellent English is impressive I would argue that for some regular posters it is so good (including nuance / humour) that it is disregarded. So it is indeed the balance and intelligence that are the important things not the language. In fact as well as some of the excellent UK contributors I have also particularly missed some of the Danish contributors from this site because of the balance and humour they bring.
from ambition to graveyard on 16:06 - Sep 14 with 3188 viewsField_Of_Dreams_II

What this site has suffered from for many a month & more is the lack of genuinely interesting topics/good debate or amusing threads.

Most posts are hijacked by the same 5/6 people who bicker back and fore about nothing of interest, invariably anything that is interesting has the usual site tool telling people to f'##k off like a broken record.

The not606 site is everything planetswans used to be.

Poll: What would you rather see.....

from ambition to graveyard on 23:33 - Sep 14 with 3114 viewsSwanseajill

from ambition to graveyard on 16:06 - Sep 14 by Field_Of_Dreams_II

What this site has suffered from for many a month & more is the lack of genuinely interesting topics/good debate or amusing threads.

Most posts are hijacked by the same 5/6 people who bicker back and fore about nothing of interest, invariably anything that is interesting has the usual site tool telling people to f'##k off like a broken record.

At least for a change we can get a word in edgeways here now.
It makes no difference to me that people are complaining about this site. The old site could be a pain at times with pages sticking and needing to refresh pages constantly could get on your wick.

I dont post as often through different personal reasons. But mainly since moving house and having no access to Virgin, I stupidly went with BT and am stuck with them until the contract ends,its like the old days at times when we were on dial up.
Takes me ages to post, dont even suggest sorting an avatar!!

I know a few who are posting on not 606, I notice that most of them still read this web page too.
from ambition to graveyard on 23:44 - Sep 14 with 3094 viewsDarran

The site has been a bit quiet lately but there's not a lot to discuss about football regarding the Swans if everyone's honest,I was looking at the fixtures earlier today and it seems like a weird season so far,we haven't had a Saturday game,we play on Monday night at home and then we don't have another home league game untill the 28th of September and that's a Saturday night game.
We don't have a 3pm Saturday kick off untill October 18th.
Strange to say the least.

from ambition to graveyard on 09:03 - Sep 15 with 2980 viewsSpratty

Agree this stop start is certainly not helping.

Also need to consider that many of the posts we have had on this site are generated by Europa trip arrangements / site issues which were largely not applicable to the old site.
from ambition to graveyard on 09:45 - Sep 15 with 2959 viewsbermudajack

from ambition to graveyard on 16:06 - Sep 14 by Field_Of_Dreams_II

The personal insults and bickering really winds me up, especially when the OP has a valid but not always popular point to make...

I think people need to learn respect differing views without getting personal and becoming offensive from behind the safety of their keyboards. This makes people tentative about starting discussions/ topics.

The old site was full of spats between certain posters which was like watching eastenders on times, glad they've reduced slightly on this new site.

Poll: Priority for new manager?

from ambition to graveyard on 10:37 - Sep 16 with 2877 viewstomdickharry

Spot on Phil,International breaks coupled with a change to the present offside law rule and Ashley Young's diving are the worst things that have happened to football in recent times. Mr Dyke new head honcho at the FA is also now advocating a mid season break (to allow the big clubs to tour the far East I expect),just imagine a fortnight off in January,perfectly good weather then a return to football and the snow arrives,could be without a game for weeks on end,utter madness in this country.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024