Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
car parking 13:44 - Sep 23 with 13706 viewsjackthepeg

I have already posted this on the NOT JUST FOOTBALL site as not sure where would be the best place to get a response.

thanks

On 16th Sept I parked up in the Morfa shopping car park at around 19.15 and gor away at around 22.20. I received a parking notice from EUROCARPARKS today with a 70.00 charge for "overstaying by 97 minutes".
I was wondering, as there were loads of supporters doing the same thing that night, if there are any more fines being received.
The reason I ask is that there are a number of forums about Euro car parks, pointing out that these charges are not enforceable and to ignore any correspondence and not to repy to any letters , initial or subsequently received.
Any comments or views would be gratefully received.

This post has been edited by an administrator
car parking on 13:53 - Sep 23 with 13685 viewsMattG

It takes some balls but, yes, you can just ignore them. I got "done" once by a company called Parking Eye for parking at that hotel just off J32 of the M4 - ignored the various letters that were sent and they eventually went away.

The reason I say it takes some balls is that you will get letters threatening bailiffs and court action - if you're OK with ignoring these then go for it.

Also, check out the Money Saving Expert website - there's plenty on their forum about parking charges like these, for example http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1385409&page=1
car parking on 13:59 - Sep 23 with 13668 viewsSwanzay

Just to add to MattG reply, all it is is a glorified invoice and is not legally enforceable.
Ignore and forget about it, its just a scheme to make a quick buck.
They may send you further letters, but its in the wording 'may use legal action' etc, total rubbish.
No balls needed!
car parking on 14:33 - Sep 23 with 13616 viewsstevethejack

Balls is true.

Just ignore the bailiffs, credit reference agency stuff. They will never take you to court as it's an invoice and not a fine, even though they make them look like fines.

If they were to take you to court, they would lose and it would set a precedence and they could no longer invoice people and they would be subject to claims from people who had already paid out.

Don't even reply, every letter I've ever had (3 instances of overstaying parking) has been shredded and I've never had a problem.

Solicitor's letters are from a firm called 'White' generally.

BIN, BIN, BIN
car parking on 15:05 - Sep 23 with 13568 viewsDewi1jack

What's been written by others.
If you want to check the legalities of their invoices, then check through parking regulations in the Road Traffic (parking regulations)
Tickets have to be issued by a parking attendant/ warden for overstaying
For car parks where a charge may be levied, tickets have to be issued on entry.
The terms and conditions of a car park cannot contravene any other law.
The Morfa car parks rules state that ( or similar wording) no allowance of extra time for disability is given, contravening the Disability Act.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

car parking on 15:07 - Sep 23 with 13566 viewsJackattack

car parking on 14:33 - Sep 23 by stevethejack

Balls is true.

Just ignore the bailiffs, credit reference agency stuff. They will never take you to court as it's an invoice and not a fine, even though they make them look like fines.

If they were to take you to court, they would lose and it would set a precedence and they could no longer invoice people and they would be subject to claims from people who had already paid out.

Don't even reply, every letter I've ever had (3 instances of overstaying parking) has been shredded and I've never had a problem.

Solicitor's letters are from a firm called 'White' generally.

BIN, BIN, BIN

Bugger!

I wish this thread had come up BEFORE I paid up (yes - I was parked there on the 16th as well).
car parking on 15:16 - Sep 23 with 13547 viewsDewi1jack

Not going to laugh, but at least you'll know for the future and not be caught for away trip money again.
Companies such as these work on the fear factor.
It costs the less than a £1 to generate and send letters. They work on the fear factor that 40% of people will just pay up; 100 tickets issued at £70, 40 tickets paid = £2800 and the management fee they get off businesses. Cost of tickets issued, less than £100.
If another 10% pay the extra fees being threatened by their "solicitors/ baliffs" you can see it's a good earner.
Many people bottle it, when the threatening letters start.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

car parking on 15:43 - Sep 23 with 13515 viewscontroversial_jack

Ignore the letters it's unenforceable. As many have stated on here, it's just an invoice inviting you to pay their exorbitant charge. Under English law, firms can only be compensated for loss of revenue, that would be for the 97 mins you overstayed. The £70 is excessive and unrealistic and therefore unlawful. They can only make money if people comply and pay up
car parking on 16:57 - Sep 23 with 13420 viewssunshinehead

I also have experience of these fines and I have successfully avoided paying them by doing nothing. After about three or four threatening letters they just stop. Technically they can take you to court and threaten you with CCJ but it's very risky and expensive exercise for them as they are likely to be laughed out of court for bringing the action. I always feel a bit better if I have a receipt or debit card transaction on my statement, just in case.
Login to get fewer ads

car parking on 16:59 - Sep 23 with 13405 viewsWinchWenJack

I'm sure I read somewhere, that they can only fine you for what you haven't paid. I.e. free car park no fine.

''You're gonna meet some strangers. Welcome to the zoo. Bitter disappointments. Except for one or two. Some of them are angry. Some of them are mean. Most of them are twisted. Few of them are clean.'' 'tans initial phonecall to Solskjaer.

car parking on 17:18 - Sep 23 with 13369 viewsbalboajack

Pretty much what everyone else has said, plus..

I got done parking there for the Man U game just before Xmas, for stating there about the same amount of time as you did. I ignored the first letter, another one turned up about a month later and ignored that as well and heard nothing since :-)

Although I know 3 or 4 people who've just paid up straight away, so what people are saying is right- they can't be arsed to chase the 1/3 odd of people for cash when they're getting loads off money off the otters just by sending one letter out.

I do also know one person who argued it there and won, but that was by lots of phone calls and letters to euro parks and the shops she was visiting. A lot harder on a match day a presume.

It's a lot easier to do f all, if they ever took it further they'd have to notify you that they will be taking you to court, not just threaten it.

Don't do this though- its illegal- Cover your number plate with gaffer tape and once you're out if the car park and moving about 1 metre a minute in the traffic by morrisons get out and pull the taps off. Old bull wouldn't be happy if you did that.
car parking on 08:25 - Sep 24 with 13197 viewseddie71

What everyone else said though I would add if you did use one of the shops in morfa and have the reciept, Go to the shop. 99% of the time they will cancel the ticket as happened to me, the result is the same but will save you the hassle of receiving the reminder letters and threats of baliffs etc. Do not pay though, as others of said its an unenforceable invoice. Lots of good advice on the web about these things.
car parking on 11:34 - Sep 24 with 13168 viewsjackb

don't engage in a any sort of conversation with them either by letter or phone - just keep ignoring letters and refuse to discuss on phone - they give up eventually - Graham White is the solicitor you'll get letters off.

Go to the moneysaving expert site and you can even see scans of the letter sin the order you will receive them
car parking on 14:31 - Sep 27 with 13070 viewscontroversial_jack

There's a new govt proposal coming out soon, to stop councils using car parking as a cash cow. Apparently they are breaking the law by using cctv to raise money instead of to fight crime.
car parking on 14:53 - Sep 27 with 13056 viewsSA1_Jack

Yip, as said above just bin them.

Only time I have been caught out was when I had two free tickets to an Ospreys game last year (I've never taken car there for Swans). Went along, parked in B&Q and went to Pizza hut before the game, then went into the sinclair suite for a pint after too.

In all I was there about 4 hours, from 6 until 10pm, the car park probably had 50 or 60 cars in there when I parked, and when I came back I was the only car in there. A week or so later I received the parking fine from the car parking company Euro Car Parks. I googled them and found a thread on Martin Lewis Money Saving Site saying to just ignore it as they can not make you pay, simple as that.

So, after a good few months I finally stopped receiving their threats, and that was the end of that. I can see why so many people just pay it as they wording and letters look official as they even had a photo of my car plate entering and leaving, but there really is no need to pay them a penny.

Expect quite a few letters off them but just keep ignoring them, they do stop eventually.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 14:53]
car parking on 17:12 - Sep 27 with 12995 viewscontroversial_jack

car parking on 14:53 - Sep 27 by SA1_Jack

Yip, as said above just bin them.

Only time I have been caught out was when I had two free tickets to an Ospreys game last year (I've never taken car there for Swans). Went along, parked in B&Q and went to Pizza hut before the game, then went into the sinclair suite for a pint after too.

In all I was there about 4 hours, from 6 until 10pm, the car park probably had 50 or 60 cars in there when I parked, and when I came back I was the only car in there. A week or so later I received the parking fine from the car parking company Euro Car Parks. I googled them and found a thread on Martin Lewis Money Saving Site saying to just ignore it as they can not make you pay, simple as that.

So, after a good few months I finally stopped receiving their threats, and that was the end of that. I can see why so many people just pay it as they wording and letters look official as they even had a photo of my car plate entering and leaving, but there really is no need to pay them a penny.

Expect quite a few letters off them but just keep ignoring them, they do stop eventually.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 14:53]

If they send you threats, write back and say it's unlawful to issue threats, it's also unlawful to topload fines before someone has been convicted and also repeated letters will be classed as harrasment . I.m sure they will stop very quickly
car parking on 17:23 - Sep 27 with 12986 viewsSA1_Jack

I have to be honest with you in my opinion its hardly worth even bothering with all that... just bin them without even reading them properly. That is all I did. Same result in the long run, ie, nothing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024