Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our fans... 11:31 - Dec 13 with 7827 viewsbangorjack

I apologise in advance for any repetition of other threads, but I'm finding the negativity of some of our fans incredibly irritating, and I've been thinking about why people have the opinions that they do.

The way I see it, we have 4 broad groups of fans.

1) "Longterm hardcore" - have suffered through the tedious years where mediocrity was a pipe dream. Part of the furniture, and if (god forbid) everything goes tits up and we end up back in the bowels of League 2, will still turn up week in week in week out.

2) "Glory hunters" - Everyone denies being one, but without doubt we do have these people following us. Generally detectable by the fact that they bring their kids to the Liberty in Man Utd shirts. Currently enjoying their second spell with the club and among the more vocal when it comes to criticism.

3) The converts - may have started as occasional watchers/glory hunters, but have caught the bug and now have no way back.

4) "Younger generation" - we have a group of fans who due to their age have only ever known us to be on an upward spiral. They may well have started supporting us in the lower leagues, but the worst they've had to endure is finishing mid-table in the championship. They've seen some of the best football this club has ever produced, and are not used to us "struggling" ( if being in the top half of the prem and in the last 32 of EL counts as struggling). As time goes on, the members of this group will either become part of the "longterm hardcore" or "glory hunters".

Before everyone starts having a go at me, I know not everyone will fit in to a specific group, but broadly I feel this is who follows us. Those who have endured years of crap are (I imagine) the people who are currently viewing what we are achieving as incredible.

On the note of people finding things boring at the minute, I think that a lot of that is to do with our aims. In the Championship, it's exciting looking ahead and aiming for promotion. Aiming to finish mid-table (which undoubtedly is a massive achievement for this club) is less exciting, and doesn't really have the same "thrill" to it. 2 years ago we had the thrill of avoiding relegation. Last year we had the thrill of winning the cup. This year, although Europe should be a thrill, the fact it's affecting our league form seems to be taking the shine off it.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here, but just wanted to put my feelings out there.
Our fans... on 11:50 - Dec 13 with 4786 views_

Great, great post.

Let's be honest here everyone... which category are you actually in?

And to be in Cat 1 - Longterm Hardcore, surely this must mean that you have always watched at least 75% plus of home games, at least!! With preferably at least 5 away games?

Who's actually in that one? I am, and maybe, like Bangor says is why i'm getting so pi55ed off with the clueless cretins that are posting such utter shit this season.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Our fans... on 11:58 - Dec 13 with 4751 viewsViking_Jack

5) Foreign plastic-supporters who have only seen the Hull game on video, who know nothing, who are nothing, but who will nevertheless support the team whatever happens and regardless of how "boring" they play and in which league they play (admittedly I don´t know how many fans are in this group, but at least I am haha...)

Better a brief spell of honour than a long rule of shame

Our fans... on 11:59 - Dec 13 with 4744 viewsJackanapes

Our fans... on 11:58 - Dec 13 by Viking_Jack

5) Foreign plastic-supporters who have only seen the Hull game on video, who know nothing, who are nothing, but who will nevertheless support the team whatever happens and regardless of how "boring" they play and in which league they play (admittedly I don´t know how many fans are in this group, but at least I am haha...)

until Laudrup goes

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Our fans... on 12:08 - Dec 13 with 4719 viewsViking_Jack

Our fans... on 11:59 - Dec 13 by Jackanapes

until Laudrup goes

What others do or not do when Laudrup is off I don´t know, it´s not my business either, but - as stated many times before - I stay.

Better a brief spell of honour than a long rule of shame

Our fans... on 12:15 - Dec 13 with 4690 viewsraynor94

100% group 1, and fail to see what all this gnashing of teeth is about

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Our fans... on 12:15 - Dec 13 with 4690 viewsMrSwerve

I find it incredibly sad that posters have to precede their opinions with "I have supported the swans for 20-30 years but..." - as they know any negativity will result in the usual suspects telling them they are plastics, or telling them to fukoff and support the scum.

I feel lucky that we are where we are now, it is fantastic compared to the old days...probably the best time ever to be a Swans fan. However, sometimes, we do play utter shite. Don't forget now, we are in the big boys league and we have some very highly paid players. When they do not put the effort in, I think it is up to the fan if they want to voice that on this forum, whether they were there for the rainy midweek games down the Vetch or if they started watching the Swans in 2005.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Our fans... on 12:35 - Dec 13 with 4607 viewskopperburgjack

Our fans... on 12:15 - Dec 13 by MrSwerve

I find it incredibly sad that posters have to precede their opinions with "I have supported the swans for 20-30 years but..." - as they know any negativity will result in the usual suspects telling them they are plastics, or telling them to fukoff and support the scum.

I feel lucky that we are where we are now, it is fantastic compared to the old days...probably the best time ever to be a Swans fan. However, sometimes, we do play utter shite. Don't forget now, we are in the big boys league and we have some very highly paid players. When they do not put the effort in, I think it is up to the fan if they want to voice that on this forum, whether they were there for the rainy midweek games down the Vetch or if they started watching the Swans in 2005.

Great post mate.

Win, draw or lose.. Jacks are on the booze

Our fans... on 12:38 - Dec 13 with 4594 viewsJackanapes

I find it incredibly sad that a group of posters find it incredibly sad that a group of posters precede their posts with " I have supported the swans for thirty years"

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Login to get fewer ads

Our fans... on 12:55 - Dec 13 with 4544 viewsScoobyjack

I am in the first group, though do very few away games now. Like many in this group I am fed up with the moaners saying we should be better etc. I definitely look at where we have come from and what we have achieved and put it in perspective, and I think this is the best time ever to be a Jack.

However, I have converted a Liverpool, Cardiff and Chelsea "fan" since the play off finals and know that they have different aspirations to me. As 2 of them are under 12 I hope they become the future of the club, I am seriously considering my stance on accepting where we are.

Like many on here I was shouting down dissent in the first half against Hull, and to be honest embarrassed by large sections of our support. But I am wondering if it is time to let the next generation have their say, and for me to listen to them.

I have been and am proud of my small stake in the club via the trust, however this small stake gets smaller every day as new fans come on board.

Basically I am wondering if myself and the cat 1 fans in this analogy are holding the club back.

Sorry if disjointed etc. sat on a bus on my phone.
Our fans... on 12:59 - Dec 13 with 4516 views_

Definitely Cat 2 then.

Glory hunter.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Our fans... on 13:02 - Dec 13 with 4506 viewsMrSwerve

Here we go...

9 times out of 10 I agree with what you post on here, but you have no idea how long I have supported the Swans...and how you can tell from my single post in this thread is baffling.

This "you're a plastic" stuff really is getting boring. (That isn't aimed at you T2C, just generally.)

Our fans... on 13:22 - Dec 13 with 4449 views_

Our players aren't highly paid.

Our players are well below the highly paid category relative to the league we're doing pretty damn well in.

And every time we take the field, why does it have to come down to They earn this - so we can say that!?

What our boys are earning is 90+% of the time less than the XI we are up against.

Its a bonkers argument.

Going to the football the last 30 odd years, home and away, mid-week Vetch, mid week Rotherham, Mansfield etc etc, you get to see the same old faces, almost every time.

Would I recognise yours Mr Swerve? Really?

Our fans... on 13:28 - Dec 13 with 4427 viewsmonmouth

I honestly don't know the answer for myself. I've had periods where I've been to every game and periods where it's become a far lower priority (and periods where I've lived 400 miles away when ceefax was the only option). At no time has my support been based on success or league position and I've always cared very deeply about the club.

I'm certainly not as committed as T2C (or indeed my father in law whose life was basically the swans) as to me sport is a diversion that will just steal your life in its endless cycles if you are not careful....there's always another season or competition or match. Then again I am just as passionate as anyone about the club when I think about it (which is still probably more than is good for me). Irrespective of whether I am at games I always, and always will, feel elated when we win and depressed when we lose.

So there we have it. I have no idea what category I am, nor which I will be in future, but I do know this: those who can't enjoy the current times and don't see it as the most golden of golden periods are in a category that needs some serious help. As indeed does anyone who lets football dwarf everything else in life.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Our fans... on 13:30 - Dec 13 with 4416 viewsSpratty

Our fans... on 11:59 - Dec 13 by Jackanapes

until Laudrup goes

Our fans... on 13:33 - Dec 13 with 4395 viewsStarsky

There's a 5th group...
Not a fan but a customer. Nothing wrong with that category. It's just someone who goes to see the occasional game of football just like they might go to the cinema.

regarding last night. Even the big four have boring games in Europe occasionally.
Were in the last 32 of a European competition and any fan not rejoicing in this is just spoilt.

It's just the internet, init.

Our fans... on 13:34 - Dec 13 with 4386 viewsblaine_scfc

My first game was Plymouth at home, Walter Boyd scored the winner. I realise how far we have come and it is pretty much a footballing miracle where we are. However, I don't see the problem in voicing concerns about the level of performance, we all want to see us be successful, being successful would be us staying up. I for one believe, we may struggle to do that this season.
Our fans... on 13:35 - Dec 13 with 4385 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I am in the long term loyal group. I can remember going to Rochdale last game of the season. We lost and had to apply for relection. There was approx 950 at the game.

I live 300 miles so only get to half the home games but manage about 10 away games a season.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Our fans... on 13:39 - Dec 13 with 4363 viewsBloodyhills

Interesting post Bangor Jack, but it is a bit simplistic and is certainly divisive. I'm not sure I fit comfortably into any of your categories.

I first watched the Swans down the vetch in Sepember 1980 when they were playing Notts Country and the ref was knocked out. They actually called out on the tannoy if there was a qualified ref in the crowd! Can't imagine that happening these days. I was playing for the Whites under 13s at the time and only went to the Vetch because our game had been called off. From that moment was hooked and I gave up playing rugby to watch the Swans and used to buy and sell dinner tickets to raise money to watch games, even going to quite a few away games with, Morris Brothers, I think it was.

However I haven't been to 75% of home games since then as lived away for quite a few years and also took up playing Swansea local league football for years. I am wondering if this makes me a plastic fan! The arguments on here about different types of fans and who is the most die-hard etc are a bit crap if you ask me. Instead of looking for differences we can be superior about we should all recognise that the bottom line is that we are ALL Swans on here, well apart from a handful of sad Cardiff fans who post here, and we all want our team to do well. I agree that some moan more than others but that's life.

As for me I am not disappointed with results but do get annoyed if I don't see my team giving 100% and I am not sure they have done this many games this season. I think we have been playing way bellow par and can be so much better and if wanting that makes me a glory hunting, plastic then so be it.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Our fans... on 13:42 - Dec 13 with 4340 viewsItchySphincter

Our fans... on 13:28 - Dec 13 by monmouth

I honestly don't know the answer for myself. I've had periods where I've been to every game and periods where it's become a far lower priority (and periods where I've lived 400 miles away when ceefax was the only option). At no time has my support been based on success or league position and I've always cared very deeply about the club.

I'm certainly not as committed as T2C (or indeed my father in law whose life was basically the swans) as to me sport is a diversion that will just steal your life in its endless cycles if you are not careful....there's always another season or competition or match. Then again I am just as passionate as anyone about the club when I think about it (which is still probably more than is good for me). Irrespective of whether I am at games I always, and always will, feel elated when we win and depressed when we lose.

So there we have it. I have no idea what category I am, nor which I will be in future, but I do know this: those who can't enjoy the current times and don't see it as the most golden of golden periods are in a category that needs some serious help. As indeed does anyone who lets football dwarf everything else in life.

You're probably an A-typical supporter. I wouldn't be to bothered about T2C making the rules and setting the criteria as to who is what type of fan, getting ideas above his station again.

Anyhow's, it always amazes me how many dyed in the wool fans we apparently have. I wonder where they all were when we playing Bury and Rochdale on a regular basis. Not that I wear it as a badge of honour. Couldn't care less how many games people go to so long as they get behind the team. If they want to make fools of themselves on a message board, more power to them. F*ck, if it wasn't for half the tw@ts on here there'd be nothing to discuss.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2013 13:42]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Our fans... on 13:42 - Dec 13 with 4333 views_

Our fans... on 13:28 - Dec 13 by monmouth

Great post.

I welcome all fans old and new. As a result of going down from Aberdare as a kid many, many friends have come along with us, most, if not all are still your every year supporter, give or take, like yourself, if they were to have moved away etc.

I lived in Holland for 2/3 years and travelled in Australia almost a year before that, so then, I only saw home and away games when I came home. To have a stream in those days would've been amazing.

I don't think the OP is having a pop at anyone in particular and I am proud of every new fan that wants to start supporting us, just like the Danes, and I really do hope they stay around. They are less likely to with clowns like Darran having a go at them all the time though, but really hope they do.

But it shouldn't be so difficult to try and understand that as a club, we are not of superstar status and it shouldn't take long to understand that where we are now compared to what we used to take for granted are worlds apart and should be cherished, yep, literally cherished.

There'll be DVD's aplenty made about this era, the "fans" looking for all these issues should be effing ashamed of themselves.

Our fans... on 13:43 - Dec 13 with 4332 viewsJackanapes

Our fans... on 12:08 - Dec 13 by Viking_Jack

What others do or not do when Laudrup is off I don´t know, it´s not my business either, but - as stated many times before - I stay.

I wasn't writing laudrup off, just you

Our fans... on 13:44 - Dec 13 with 4331 viewsMrSwerve

Our fans... on 13:22 - Dec 13 by _

Our players aren't highly paid.

Our players are well below the highly paid category relative to the league we're doing pretty damn well in.

And every time we take the field, why does it have to come down to They earn this - so we can say that!?

What our boys are earning is 90+% of the time less than the XI we are up against.

Its a bonkers argument.

Going to the football the last 30 odd years, home and away, mid-week Vetch, mid week Rotherham, Mansfield etc etc, you get to see the same old faces, almost every time.

Would I recognise yours Mr Swerve? Really?

Surely you can appreciate though, that expectations shift depending on where we are at in the leagues. We aren't 'little ole Swansea' anymore...we have some of the best players in the UK at the club, so we should expect them to perform as such. (Note that I haven't criticised them...I am happy with where we are at, but I can appreciate that some are not happy at times).

And to answer your last point, no you would not recognise me. I do not have the time or money to go to every home and away game. I try to watch us as much as possible (infact I probably go down less now than I did pre-Premier due to the lack of tickets) which makes me anti-plastic if anything! I was there in the cold wet days of the Vetch on the North Bank cheering the boys on.

Am I a die-hard fan such as yourself? Probably not, by your criteria. Am I a massive Swans fan who cares dearly about the club. Of course! As much as I hate the negativity on here, I can still appreciate arguments from young supporters who don't know anything pre-Martinez.

Our fans... on 13:46 - Dec 13 with 4315 viewslovejuicejack

I'm in the group that loves to watch us play great football win lose or draw but hates when we play sh1t football that is boring, although I am a Swans fan for life I am not a blind follower that will love us no matter what.

I also don't give a f* cjk what anyone thinks about me.
Our fans... on 14:02 - Dec 13 with 4277 viewsSpratty

Our fans... on 13:35 - Dec 13 by felixstowe_jack

I am in the long term loyal group. I can remember going to Rochdale last game of the season. We lost and had to apply for relection. There was approx 950 at the game.

I live 300 miles so only get to half the home games but manage about 10 away games a season.

I go to nearly every home, away and cup game. Prefer away games but sometimes just go to support the boys. Never leave early (well once to catch an important train link ) always get behind the team.

Does that make me a better person with a more valid opinion NO

In the immortal words of George of the Jungle - Spratty just lucky i guess

And the more crap we are the greater the elation when we play the beautiful game to its utmost capacity. I never want to support a team where expectation or disappointment are the only 2 options. It must be very depressing.
Our fans... on 14:13 - Dec 13 with 4228 viewsDarran

Our fans... on 14:02 - Dec 13 by Spratty

I go to nearly every home, away and cup game. Prefer away games but sometimes just go to support the boys. Never leave early (well once to catch an important train link ) always get behind the team.

Does that make me a better person with a more valid opinion NO

In the immortal words of George of the Jungle - Spratty just lucky i guess

And the more crap we are the greater the elation when we play the beautiful game to its utmost capacity. I never want to support a team where expectation or disappointment are the only 2 options. It must be very depressing.

How long you been doing that?
I'll explain why I asked when you answer it isn't a go at you.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024